ZIP code

1997 Mercury Sable

7.9

Based on 324 Ratings for the 1996 - 1999 models.

solid performer

By on Wednesday, February 27, 2008

""I bought my 1997 sable in 2006, as a second vehicle for my son. . It has started without any problems on these cold mornings and the heater works awesome. It's roomy and comfortable and the ride is smooth. I was surprised at all the technical engineering that went into the car such as struts in the rear gives it a real solid road hugging feal. Inside is very quiet...cant hear the motor purring. Lots of power from the 3.0l v6 even at 2 valves. Very responsive steering. I would definitely buy another sable!""

Good Cars with bad Trans

By on Sunday, February 8, 2009

"I have owned two '99 sables. one was perfect through 150,000 till I sold it, and the other had a transmission problem at 115,000 miles. 2nd gear started shifting hard. Headlight lens get dull and work poorly. other than that I like the car."

Long lasting, durable and not expensive to own.

By on Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"Have owned vehicle for 11 of it's 12 years. Other than standard maintenance ( tires, brakes, and shocks) have not really spent a ton of money on it."

Best Car I've ever owned

By on Monday, October 13, 2008

"I bought my 1996 Sable in 1999 with 25,000 miles on it. I had it for 9 years then the motor failed last week with 230,003 miles. I got more than my money's worth. It serve me for 7 years and my college age son for 2. My largest maintenance was replacing the alternator about 2 yrs ago. Plenty of room. I have a tall family (5'10" +) never felt cramped. Smooth ride. 26mpg avg. Hope newer models are as good."

By on Tuesday, February 3, 2009

"This was my second car the I got on a trade-in. It had a prior salvage title (they had done work on the doors) and had 96,000 miles. I never had a problem with it (besides the 6-disc changer jamming up occasionally), it was a good car for my long commute. However I moved out to Los Angeles and ended up rear-ending someone at 25MPH. I had to replace the windshield and radiator, and 2 months later started having transmission problems. It started lurching when upshifting and downshifting and the overdrive went out. It got me back to Des Moines when I moved again, but got worse and started stauling out and lurching when I shifted in reverse. I know a lot of Ford/Mercury transmission go out, so I don't know if the accident sped it up or was the sole cause of it"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercury Sable near Honolulu. See local deals