2016 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $46,053 - $49,216.

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Valid for ZIP code 96801 through 03/30/2017

10/9.4

Based on 9 Ratings for the 2016 - 2017 models.

9.8/10
Per Page:  5 | 10

Outstanding vehicle in almost every respect

By on Sunday, October 30, 2016

Pros: "Outstanding in ride, interior and exterior styling"

Cons: "A few software bugs - successfully resolved"

"We love the 2016 XC 90 Inscription First Edition. This is our fourth Volvo -- including the XC 70 we still own. The ride is impressive, the interior layout and functionality are excellent, and the exterior styling is unmatched. The touch screen controls are easy to use once you become familiar with the technology. We did experience some initial software bugs however once the dealer did a total replacement we've been fine.We attributed that experience to the fact we were early adopters. We've traveled extensively (hence the almost 30K miles in a little over a year) and love the highway and local handling. Highly recommend the rear air suspension stabilizer option. We've had the vehicle in all types of weather from a Northeast winter (prior to relocating) to the hot summer -- and recent high water due to Hurricane Matthew. We just raised the ride with the selector. Volvo has a winner in the technology and performance category leadership of this SUV. I'd rate it a full 10/10 but for the initial bug workouts. In each case the NJ dealer was great."

Hard to believe from an X5 BMW to this!

By on Thursday, January 12, 2017

Pros: "Interior design solid feel pilot assist nav disply"

Cons: "Verbal nav,prem gas, options expensive st/stop off"

"I really am in the minority to exit a two year old X5 for this "old man" Volvo, but I don't regret it yet! The Beamer was decked out with Y spoke run flat tires which I never cared for at that premium price. The 21" on the XC 90 aren't much cheaper or easier to find but now I can at least rotate the same size wheels on this baby. Don't worry about power or speed pick up. The turbo 4 cyl. does a great job and only .1 seconds slower in qtr. mile. I'm convinced exterior paint chips easier and styling may lack one quick glance but this is a fine machine. Air suspension is a great option and the pilot assist is almost flawless. Great on long trips. Super standard radio sound but navigation speaks another language from me. I hope that improves. Quality on interior is ahead of BMW and wheels are better styled with detail throughout. I'd recommend you drive this 316 hp model. You wouldn't know it's a four except for more noise when it kicks in and slight less jump off line. The start/stop function is a pain and should be shut off, stay off option. More room and wifey feels extremely safe as it isn't least bit top heavy on bends. I hope they survive to keep making parts for this fine looking auto. No making up for those Beamer headlights. Thor headlights are a little boring, but I'm an "old man""

Love it and hate it

By on Friday, August 26, 2016

Pros: "Safe, comfortable, fun to drive, beautfiul"

Cons: "Software is horrible & unreliable for $$$$$ car"

"Love my new 2016 Volvo XC90 when it starts. Beautiful inside and out, lots of great safety features, and a pleasure to drive. However, there have been severe software issues and most recently battery draining for no apparent reason when it sits. Each trip to shop has been 2 - 3 days, because their technicians are not fully up to speed and/or the software is too screwed up. They generally have to do a remote consult with Volvo engineers.. As I write this I am about to jump start it to take it back to the shop again, just a month after the last battery episode (they did a battery reset and then installed a new battery last time, but never did find the cause). Do a Google search and you will find dozens of other people with the same problem. My recommendation. Do not buy this car yet. Perhaps wait a year until Volvo gets their act together. I have the Inscription T6, my first purchase of a luxury car and likely my last. My Chrysler minivan had fewer problems in its 10 years and is still running strong for my son. Wish I'd kept it!"

Luxry redefined!

By on Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Pros: "Detailing, style, technology, comfort"

Cons: "No power tilt,"

"I previously owned a 2010 Volvo XC60 3.2 AWD with all package options. I didn't have one single issue and planned to keep it. Once I saw the 2016 XC 90 being advertised I changed my mind. I placed an order in May of 2015 and it arrived in August of 2015. I'd like to point out that another review does say you need to get the inscription level (it is very nice) however the air suspension is an option without that also. I decided not to go with the inscription because of the ventilated seats. The dealer agreed saying with spills it would be much harder to keep clean. Instead I upgraded to the Momentum Plus package added all the other packages as well as air suspension, HUD, and the bowers and wilkins sound system. The total price was just over $62,000 which comes in at a higher price than an inscription without any or most of those options. My advice is if you can add it all plus inscription which would be $68,000+ then go for it. However getting all the packages and options without inscription was great for me. I agree air suspension is a must and the ride is the best I've experienced. The B&W sound system is also a must have if you spend much time on the road. Everyone who gets in is blown away but the sound experience! The only issue I've had is with the backup camera/360 camera, sometimes it fails to work and then once I turn the car off and back on it works again. This has happened a few times but I noticed it's usually when I don't get the car time to load up. It takes less than a minute for the computer system to load but sometimes you don't have that time to wait. Overall I'd highly suggest this car at this point and hope I can report the same thing in several years."

Huge Leap Forward for Volvo

By on Monday, April 11, 2016

Pros: "Styling and interior finishes are exceptional!"

Cons: "Only 1 USB, no power tilt on the steering wheel"

"As for all the hype and awards for this vehicle, all I can say is go drive an Inscription trim with the air suspension (this is an important option). To make it comparable to a BMW, Audi, or Mercedes, you need to step up to the Inscription trim with the optional air suspension. Without it, the ride quality is average; with it, the ride is outstanding. I had no intention of buying a Volvo, but was very surprised. I have driven all the competition extensively and bought an XC90 First Edition so it has every available feature. The interior is amazing, the safety tech is unparalleled, and infotainment is great for me. I quickly got used to the touch tablet style interface. I personally love the heated/ventilated seats. As for the competition, the X5 from the driver’s seat is a great vehicle, but it is a smaller vehicle and the Volvo kills it in 2nd and 3rd row functionality and utility, which is what we wanted. The Lexus GX (keep in mind I really like Lexus and owned an RX for over a decade) feels heavy and sluggish compared to the Volvo. The new Audi Q7 was not available when I bought and the older version was surprisingly tight in the 2nd and 3rd row. The Acura is a strong value proposition, but the infotainment system is not user friendly. The Merc GL is a bigger vehicle but when I optioned it out to match my Volvo First Edition from a feature standpoint it was over $92k. I hope the long term reliability is above average. LOVE the Bowers and Wilkens stereo. Truly feels like a much smaller vehicle than it is while driving. Eats up highway miles. The turbo and supercharged 4 cylinder does a great job. My wife and I fight over who takes it each day. NICE JOB Volvo, a huge leap forward!"

Per Page:  5 | 10