2006 Volvo XC90

7.7

Based on 452 Ratings for the 2003 - 2014 models.

Fatally Flawed

By on Thursday, September 6, 2007

"Dont buy this car. I have owned mine for a little over a year now, and spent about $8,000 on repairs. The T6 XC90s come with a horribly unreliable transmission, which I had to pay full cost to replace at 56,000 miles. Transmissions should not be going dead 6,000 after the warranty, and Volvo should front some of the bill, which they do not. Please beware of this car. Other than the ridiculous reliability though, I do love the car. It handles wonderfully and has great power. The ride is smooth and comfortable. I do think its stupid that Volvo cant get an iPod adaptor for it though."

Volvo XC90 V8 Trivial concerns

By on Sunday, July 29, 2007

"Navigation should be part of a package that people can't live without. Being a $3k option on it's own made me shy away from it and I purchased a unit off the shelf. I'd also like to see multiple options for rear hatch configurations. The split level hatch is nice, but I'd prefer a single unit or one with an electric window similar to the 4Runner. Perhaps having multiple configurations available would make the vehicle more customizeable giving people a more personal feel about their vehicle. Also, the center seats should recline and the rear seats should be on rails also so that they could go back all the way. There are times when I could have 7 people in the car to go to dinner and I won't need the luggage space at all. I would love to see more space made available for passengers. If both center and reat seats could recline and had more distance on their rails it would improve comfort. The room is available, and making that available to passengers would be great! Overall, it is a great vehicle and I have no plans to get rid of it. I enjoy the ease of how the V8 reacts. I have had it full of people and luggage and it reacts as if I'm alone. The auto-leveling suspension eliminates any tail sag from the extra weight. The adaptive steering and gearing is very intuitive to what I'm doing. Shifting at higher RPM's when I'm driving harder makes it react like a big sports car. Especially when you can feel the suspension tighten up and the steering become firm. The 6-speed transmission is effortless and never makes the engine labor when passing. I lived in Germany for the first year I owned it and I did a lot of Autobahn traveling. Even at 90 MPH it does everything effortlessly. Styling is great, as are the amentities within. My only problem was with Navigation. In Europe we could not load the European disc, we were told we'd have to keep it in the computer and use it in "READ-ONLY". But I was told this before-hand which made me not order it. (Good customer service in my book). The drivers seat has me somewhat concerned as I think it could wear out much quicker than I'd expect from an SUV of this price. The outer bolster seems to be softer and not as supportive as it was when we originally drove it home. A little extra support in the front seats regardless wouldn’t hurt my feelings. When I took it in for it's 15k mile service I had 3 rubber boots that had to be put back on. The one around where the turn indicator meets the steering column had come off, as well as two that were under the center seats. That had me questioning the quality at first. They have not given me any troubles since, just sort of an annoyance. A good friend has had a VW Touraeg about the same amount of time and has had numerous troubles with the adjustable suspension in his as well as service lights coming on. This has landed him in a courtesy car for a few weeks. Compared to his troubles, mine have been quite trivial, so I feel that I have a better vehicle, and he agrees with me. Everyone should own one!"

Amazing safety, quality, and design.

By on Monday, April 13, 2015

Pros: "Great, comfortable, safe, controlable"

Cons: "Gas mileage, cost of repairs, cost of parts."

"Great, comfortable, safe, controlable, great all around car."

Great SUV

By on Friday, August 31, 2012

Pros: "safe, good mpg, rides well"

Cons: "the interior needs a refresh, same since 2006"

"great suv for the family. its smaller but still can hold 7. gets 20mpg consistently. very safe. rides like a car with a little exception on turns because it's so heavy. I do wish they'd update the interior in the new ones. This model is due for a upgrade so you can get the normal technology stuff you can in almost every other SUV on the market. For 2007 is was great."

Not flashy, repairs a must, but a fun ride

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Costs less than competitors in market"

Cons: "Lots of repairs, lots"

"My 2003 has 130,000 miles and it's still going on its second transmission (replaced at 65K for @$6,000). I get the oil changed when I need to and make sure to get it serviced when it tells me to. I drive almost 100 miles to and from work, round trip and the XC90 is smooth and comfortable. However, it's starting to show its age. The air freezes up frequently and I've had to make minor repairs a lot more often it seems. Last year the navigation system went kaput and its way too expensive to replace. I don't know if I'd buy one again, but I'd think about it."

GREAT car

By on Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"GREAT car. Family of 5 fits easily with 2 more seats in the back and room for luggage. Drives super smooth. Great engine. Great quality. Never had any issues even after 65,000 miles"

Best Car I've Ever Owned

By on Thursday, November 5, 2009

"I absolutely love my Volvo XC90 with a V8. This car has so much power yet not with a huge gasoline price tag. I would highly recommend this SUV to anyone looking for a classy car with get up and go power."

Tons of problems

By on Monday, January 12, 2009

"I was sold on this car when I rode it in the dealership, but soon after it has been nothing but problems. It was a used car that fell out of warranty while I had it and I should have bought the extended warranty. Instead, I have spent about $6K in the year and a half that I've owned it. The last time it was in the shop was for a full transmission overhaul that was priced out at $7K for me, but the dealership called Volvo Inc for us and got them to comp the parts ($4,500) because they thought the parts were faulty. We shouldn't have to overhaul the transmission at 70K miles. Still had to pay $2500 for the service though. On top of that, the residual value of the car has plummeted, and I'm upside down on the car - otherwise I would have just sold it. Kudos to our great local dealership, but I wouldn't buy again."

OK Vehicle, not excellent

By on Monday, December 15, 2008

"we leased this car after our child's birth, mainly for safety reasons. we've had it for two years. It started off with minor problems which later on became more pronounced. For example the first week of the lease, we were in winter, and the heater fan was so loud i couldn't even hear the music out of the radio. Electrical problems and noises entered this symphony of noise about a year into the car's life. Dealer kept telling me it's nothing, but I know better. Service was really expensive, windshield wiper $85.00 for instance. The sales staff were unprofessional beyond imagination. At some point I felt that I was haggling in a thrift shop. Much disappointed with Volvo's reputation as a leading European Car. Additional options such as blue tooth, i-pod are a joke. Dealers charges an insane amount of money for both, when I picked up the car I was so disappointed. The I-pod doc, was basically a $50 fm radio transmitter which you can buy from best buy. The blue tooth, was a stand alone unit as well that you can install yourself. Overall cost for both was over a thousand dollars, for two units that wold have cost me less than $300 to do it myself. I don't even want to talk about navigation. Bells and Whistles on this car do not "RING" at all to my ears. I would recommend leasing it, but DO NOT BUY."

Lemons galour

By on Sunday, November 2, 2008

"My wife and I bought this vehicle after our second child. Great design BUT...if you ever have any problems like we did, you better open your wallet. THis was our second Volvo. Transmission problems, Rear Main seal(very expensive). Tons of electrical problems that come full circle to everything else. The dealer will give you a runaround excuse and hand you an astronomical bill. Do not ever buy Volvo and I'm hearing the same thing from my friends. If you want safety then its there,but YOU WILL pay for everything else!"