ZIP code

2008 Volvo XC70

Based on 57 Ratings for the 2008 - 2016 models.

GREAT CAR

By on Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Pros: "SOLID, COMFORTABLE RIDE"

Cons: "NONE"

"THIS BEAUTY IS A PLATINUM AWD 2015.5 MODEL WITH V6 TURBO POWER. NO SMALL 4 CYCL!!! IT REALLY MOVES. VOLVO SAFETY IS WELL KNOWN AND COMFORTABLE. THE CAR IS EXTREMELY SOLID AND U FEEL VERY SAFE WHEN DRIVING. LAST OF 6 CYLS AND WILL BE SURELY MISSED."

Significant reliability issues

By on Monday, December 12, 2011

Pros: "Lots of great features, very comfortable"

Cons: "Software glitch that they cannot fix"

"Have had the car for only 4 months and have had it in the shop 5 times already. Some minor issues, but the recurring major issue is that the "low oil" light comes on every few thousand miles. Generally the oil is fine, and they have upgraded the software twice, soon to be three times as the car is having the issue as I write this. But as there doesn't seem to be a fix, you basically have to allow an extra 20 minutes to get anywhere in case you have to stop and check the oil. Or alternatively, you essentially lose your low oil warning feature because you ignore it and continue driving (at the risk that this time the oil is actually low). Having this reliability issue at this price point is inconceivable."

By on Wednesday, May 28, 2008

"This car is so quiet you don't even realize it is on. The gas mileage is better than rated. It is closer to 21 mpg around town and 26 mpg highway. I love the safety features inccluding the BLIS. My husband and I are both tall, 6'2" and 5'9". On occasion, I sit in the back seat and I could use a little more room for my legs. We miss the driver's extra cup holder that was on the older models. Other than that, great job Volvo!"

Even better than my 2005 XC70

By on Saturday, May 17, 2008

"Everything is better in my 2008 XC70. Very quiet,smooth ride,luxurious interior,more stylish exterior,great options (Blind Spot Info Sysytem, folding outside mirrors, keyless entry and starting, self closing tailgate, great sound system, Active Bi-Xenon headlights, and more...). My wife loved her 2005 XC70, but she's even happier with her 2008 XC70. It rides better and handles better than the SUVs we tried, including the Acura MDX and all the others. It has the refinement of a car with the utility of an SUV. It's one of a kind and stands above the other choices."

Great car - expensive

By on Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"This is our 3rd XC70 - 2000SE, 2004 XC70 and this 2008 XC70. I like this one best. The 04 seemed to have better performance (sort of, it did have a turbo). This on is sluggish on the freeway onramps and passing, BUT if you use high octane fuel it performs MUCH better and even gets 2 mpg better! Have not worked the calculator on that one, we just use the cheap stuff 99% of the time. LIKES: Keyless entry, fold up mirrors when you lock the doors, power tailgate, fantastic upgraded stereo (although my BMW logic 7 will blow this one's doors off), super leather seating, each seat is comfortable, confident driving feel, superb safety features (like the sensor that tells you an accident is eminent and brakes, lights up the lower windshield and beeps like an airplane), this is a BIG car - like driving my Dad's '72 Cadillac - only with that tight European feel, distinctive look inside and out, a winner! DISLIKES: No bluetooth (really?), sometimes the power mirrors don't open up when you open a door other than the drivers door or do not use the keyfob to unlock the car, 16mpg city and 21mpg highway (Mr. leadfoot I am), optimistic outside thermometer (reads 118 on a 95 degree day at start up), makes funny whiring sounds sometimes - the power rear liftgate seems to strain to open and close, the auto a/c makes silly sounds while adjusting vents, etc. and a whinny sound at a cold startup. Lastly, I bought a full service plan for 36 months at $600 - RIP OFF ... I would buy this car again, my wife LOVES it, kids are rough on it, dog (70lb) loves the "head out the window" routine ... great piece of machinery, at 3 years it cleans up great and looks nearly new after a car wash."

Love my Volvo wagon. 2nd one purchased.

By on Monday, August 15, 2016

Pros: "Comfortable, quiet ride. Safety features."

Cons: "Needs cupholders for back seats."

"This is my 2nd Volvo XC70 wagon. I buy Volvo for safety and luxury and haven't been disappointed. I decided to sell my wagon because I want to buy a Volvo SUV. I have no complaints in the handling of the XC70 wagon or the comfort. The car is so quiet and a smooth drive. Its great in all weather. In snow I gear down to the lower gear as recommended and I can drive up a steep driveway unless there just too much ice of course. I have taken excellent care of my Volvo wagon and followed Volvo's service maintenance schedule to keep it running smoothly. It runs quietly and has all the extra options that were available at the time I purchased it such as moon roof, navigation, daylight running lights and heated seats. There are cameras on the car that show the picture on the navigation system when you back up so you can see what is behind you just to make sure you are not missing a person walking in a blind spot to avoid an accident. Also the cameras cause the car to beep to let you know different things such as you are too close to another car in front of you or you are too close to a car or something else on either side of you or in back. I love the feature if you run off the road or too close to either side of the road. It reminds you by beeps and a signal that you may need to take a coffee break. This was helpful for me one time when I was driving too much and was getting sleepy and needed to pull over. I rated the car all 10's because that has been my experience with it. Best car I've ever driven. The Volvo wagon's seats are comfortable and cabin is roomy. I bought it new and it's a very expensive car but worth the money. The last XC70 Wagon I owned, I had 90,000+ miles on it and it was still in good condition. I drive a lot so I always make sure my car is in excellent driving condition."

Worst Volvo in 40 Years

By on Tuesday, May 11, 2010

"At 51 miles major rear brake failure requiring all the rear brake parts to be replaced. Electronic sensor system is too sensitive. Warning sensors have given erroneous messages. Warning systems says engine is running when it is stopped. Uncommon rubbing noises in rear end when driving. Down shifting is very jerky. Turbo/transmission response is jerky. We have been driving Volvos for 40 years and cross-countries for last 8 years. After our continuing problems with our 2010 we will never purchase another Volvo."

Good all around vehicle

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "quieter ride better vision"

Cons: "none so far"

"traded a cadillac SRX for this XC70. Much quieter and more comfortable. Also much better gas mileage"

we got a good one

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

"So far this car has been great Same mileage as a Subaru and infinitely more comfortable, safe and roomy"

Luxury at an afordable price

By on Saturday, December 27, 2008

"This is my third Volvo and I couldn't be happier. This is by far the best one I've owned. It handles well and is very comfortable and attractive. It is very quiet, you don't even know the engine is running. I think the gas mileage is better then reported. I highly recommend this wagon, it's much nicer then a huge SUV but very roomy. My huge dog crate fits fine in the back with no problem, with room to spare."