2005 Volvo S80

7.3

Based on 322 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

EXCELLENT CAR!!

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2008

"I bought a 2000 T6 model for my wife's birthday 3 years ago, and she loves it as much today as she did when she got it. Purchased another one for myself (2001 T6) a year ago for $4500 from someone who hated it. I haven't had any problems with either car, and DIY repairs are not all that difficult on them, either! Performance is excellent from both the engine and the suspension, and the braking system is the best I've seen on any vehicle I've owned. Also, with a car this safe, I don't have to worry about my family!"

not worth the price

By on Wednesday, January 9, 2008

"We have a 2005 volvo s80 we bought it new. The car has good acceleration and is quiet. The problem that we have had is a starting problem. It has been in the shop 6 times for this problem and yet to be fixed correctly. Now the waranty has expired and I am left holding the bag. A very unplesant company to deal with. Good luck."

2005 Solid, comfortatble, trouble free

By on Saturday, November 3, 2007

"I don't know about earier models of the S80. Leased new, In line 5 turbo, is very strong in the power range that is typically used. Fuel ecconomy is quite good, Averaging about 24 in mixed driving, and over 30 on the highway. Impressive for a vehicle with this kind of room and performance. The only detractors are a wide turning radius and a radio with ackward tuning. It may have taken a few years but Volvo seems to have gotten the S80 sorted out. This will be replaced with another leased Volvo in 08. But will make someone a great 200,000K car."

Safe, Practical Luxury

By on Friday, October 26, 2007

"Bought this car as certified pre-owned almost 5 years ago when my commute was 65 minutes each way. Wanted, no, NEEDED to be comfortable... this car is like driving your living room! Now it's my 'station car' - 10 minutes each way, and 120,000 relatively trouble-free miles later, I'm sticking with Volvo, but can't decide among another S80, a C70, S60 or XC90. Not a bad dilemna to have!"

Love, love, love my Volvo S80.

By on Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Pros: "Great handling car with lots of power!"

Cons: "No close dealership to have car serviced."

"My S80 is a great car, easy to handle once you get use to the power. I have own this car since 08/2004. It is beautiful. I get at least 20 miles to a gallon in the city driving. This car is great on road trips. Never had any problems. I do have it serviced as scheduled. Two concerns. First, the phone system was removed (analog) but they left the hand piece which made no sense to me. Second, I always have my car serviced at the dealership, but I have had two dealers to close. So I must travel farther each time to a Volvo dealership. I pray the third dealership does not close. I want to purchase another Volvo but I like the connivence of doing business close to home. I also owned a 1990 240 DL. loved that Volvo as well. The Volvo staff I have worked with are all outstanding service providers. Again. I love my Volvo!"

My 2002 Volvo Is The Best Car I've Ever Owned.

By on Sunday, October 6, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, looks beautiful, the price was great"

Cons: "None has everything you would want in a vehicle!"

"The car has been to Ohio, New York and Florida. Along the way on each trip, no problems, and the ride is like riding on cloud 9. The leather is Luxurious, like riding on a comfortable couch! The wood grain trimmings put the icing on the cake. The cabin is so quite which allows me to listen to my music on one of the best systems ever! While riding in the summer heat the ice cold air condition unit has never let me down. Mileage on the highway is awesome, not bad around town as well. I Love my Volvo!!"

One great vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pros: "Wonderful"

Cons: "None, really!"

"I have owned a lot of vehicles and 3 Volvo's plus this one . I pruchased this T6- top of the line with just over 200.000 miles and I would do it all over again. This is the top of the top of the live vehicle in my opinion. I have found it hard to find one wirh rust. They sure know how to make a real car."

best year this car was made

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pros: "turbo can't imagine getting on the expressway wit"

Cons: "not an suv"

"I have a 2004 Volvo and I've loved it since the day I bought it. I would like to have a SUV just because of grandkids and dogs but I can't bear to part with it. I have 149k miles on it and never had any issues. It was diffidently a good year this car was made."

Owned for about a year now

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, looks, performance, comfortable"

Cons: "warning lights come on for no reason"

"The only thing i have had to replace involve the fuel filter, air filter, tires, and cooling fan. This has been an awesome car for me the whole time i have had it. Has lots of power and is FUN to drive!"

Strong

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "luxurius, fan to drive,"

Cons: "expensive if it brakes down"

"Perfect if you have kids. Very strong frame and confortable inside -no more that 2 kids :-)"

Great Car!!

By on Saturday, February 4, 2012

"I have had my S80 for 8 years with no problems. I would highly recommend this model and year of Volvo."

great for the 3 years iv'e had it...

By on Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pros: "great handling very cushy even for an oldie!"

Cons: "lacks cup holders, Swedes don't much drink in car?"

"Got it used at over 140K miles ...for an older car it has been very dependable and it as so many luxury features like heated leather seats, sunroof, all the bells"

What's not to love

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Luxury at low price, sturdy, dependable, fun"

Cons: "Sound system needs to be upgraded."

"I bought this one gently used, black with grey leather and all the options. Only one prior owner and treated extremely well. Drives like a dream. Feels like a luxury car. Milage is "ok" better than some. The only reason to upgrade is to get better sound system as mine has only 1 CD and even a cassette player. I'm thinking of moving up to an '08 VOLVO SUV. Love these."

Best car I ever had

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, quiet, comfortable and stylish."

Cons: "Not the best on gas mileage -21Mph in city, 25 hwy"

"Very fast, quiet, comfortable and reliable. Best car I ever had. It has 80K miles and everything is original and in good shape."

I am impressed with the performance

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

Pros: "Great value for a used auto"

Cons: "Get a warranty on older models if possible . . ."

"I did have to put a new transmission and front end on it at the 50K mark but other than that, Peaches and Cream. The good thing is that I had purchased a warranty and it was all covered!! I am going to purchase a C70 in a few months so overall, I am obviously pleased with the Volvo brand."

do not buy an s80

By on Monday, May 9, 2011

"I dreamed of owning a lovely reliable rugged volvo. I got an awful car that just was a complete waste of money. Buyer beware. After being in the shop for 2 months, trying to get it fixed I find out that it seems that this era s80 is just problemmatic! horrible car. Bought it and put is new computer etc - $2500. transmission went, replaced, went again. Crankcase needed cleaned. catalytic converters X 3. Engine blown out.. Leather seats cracked and worn, trim coming off. Most comfortable seats I have ever sat in! Terrible car, wasted $7000 on this vehicle. In the end the volvo dealership advised me just to give up. Do not buy an s80."

Solid Luxury Sedan

By on Friday, December 31, 2010

"I bought our S80 about 2 years ago with 72K on it. I wanted a vehicle that was luxury and at the same time sporty, economical, and a classy. I test drove a variety of sedans (including newer S60's), and once I drove this car, I knew it was perfect. It is a heavy car that I felt safe with my kids in, and at the same time had the Volvo reliabilty. The interior is well layed out with plenty of cabin space. It is has had regular oil changes, and has proven to be an excellent choice. My only complaint is the leather in the front seats had deteriorated rather quickly."

Volvo S80

By on Monday, August 23, 2010

"This car rides like a luxury car and functions like a tank in storms. It's solid! Gives you feeling of security. I love the safety features and the comfort of the car overall. Of all the Volvo's, this model is my favorite and worth every penny."

Stay far away from this car

By on Saturday, July 17, 2010

"After I had to replace the tie rods, got 2 sets of $400 tires, and 2 transmissions at $4000 a piece, I finally got smart and got rid of this piece of junk. I will never, ever buy a Volvo again."

Bang for the Buck

By on Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"Many people complain about the reliability of this car. I can not say for the T6, but the 2.9L non turbo gets great gas mileage, it is smooth/quiet, and just an all around really nice car. I bought mine with over 100K miles on it, but it was serviced at the Volvo dealer every 5K miles. I put synthetic Amsoil in the engine and transmission right after I bought it, and it runs like a top. It's not as fun to drive as my BMW before it, but for what it is, I can't complain one bit. Buy one that has been serviced and taken care of, and you shouldn't be dissapointed."

2003,s80

By on Friday, April 9, 2010

"Bought this car new..2003,s80,2.9 non-turbo,57000 on it,great so far,light bulbs,trunk lock,motor mounts,o2 sensors,rear rotors..that's all + regular upkeep,oil change,new tires,coolant..as mentioned above..stay away from 1999/2000 models..comfy ride,fast,great seats,22/28mpg mixed driving"

Do Not Buy!

By on Monday, November 9, 2009

"I purchased my volvo in 2005 and it had 26k miles on it. I thought this was a smart buy all considering...That has not been the case at all. I have spent over 10K in repairs in just 40k miles of use, ugh! If you are considering buying a used Volvo, don't..My cost comparison shows me I should have just bought a new one, it would have cost less overall...Buy new and let Volvo fix it, and in addition only do a 5 year loan. that way its paid off and you can trade it in before you have to start paying out of pocket..."

A Lemon's "lemon"

By on Wednesday, November 4, 2009

"After the birth of our child, my wife and I sold our two Toyotas (Camry and Corolla) to purchase a slightly used Volvo S80 because of its SAFETY RATING. The $39K sticker price was lowered to $28K because it had been used as a demo and had 7500 miles on the odometer. Seven years later, more than two dozen trips to the dealer or independent mechanic for work, three recalls, a dozen or more bulbs replaced, the vehicle is sitting in our driveway "gathering dust." The last breakdown was the final one: the timing belt tensioner bolt broke away from the block, taking a piece of the block with it! Three local mechanics--with a cumulative total of 65 years in the business--said they'd never seen a vehicle's block broken by a tensioner! The engine in this "lemon's" lemon is an "interference" engine according to Volvo, which means that if the timing belt breaks, slips, or is otherwise "interfered" with, the valves shoot into the heads, damaging themselves, the head, and the pistons. Bottom line, with 133K (and I DID replace the timing belt at 100K), the vehicles was only worth $2,500 in trade had the engine not been destroyed; now it's worth $275 in scrap metal. I hope some engineer's or die caster's ears at Volvo are burning. Worst investment I ever made. Will NEVER, ever consider another Volvo product."

not impressed

By on Wednesday, July 8, 2009

"several mechanical problems occured after 50,000 miles. The European ride and handling takes some getting used to. Great seating once you get your seat adjusted and loaded into memory. Wouldn't recommend use in the snow belt areas without 4 good winter tires."

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Monday, June 1, 2009

"I loved this vehicle I bought it used with 125,000 miles. All I did was brakes & replaced the battery which I found out was the original, it lasted 9 yrs, Amazing!! I never tuned it up & it drove like a champ. I said Loved because my husband got into an accident & he walked away without a scratch. Both Airbags deployed & I think the insurance co. is going to total it out. Hoping they just fix it. I LOVE MY VOLVO!!"