2005 Volvo S80

7.3

Based on 322 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

Don't be deceived

By on Sunday, August 31, 2008

"This car may look appealing, but is heavy maintenance and questionable reliability. I'm having to ditch mine due to the ongoing issues. It has been a highly dissatisfactory experience to own a volvo, 2000 S80. I would not recommend this vehicle or a volvo to anyone. My wife was right, it's a piece of junk."

2001 S80

By on Thursday, November 8, 2007

"I was so excited to buy my 2001 S80, it was used with only 29,000 miles. I have been horribly disappointed. I will never buy another Volvo. It has been in the shop with major mechanical problems more times than I can remember. Also, now small "extras" are falling apart in the interior and are not covered under the warranty - cubby hole sliding cover, cigarette lighter, cover for moonroof, weather stripping on doors, etc. So much for a luxury car."

Comfortable, lots of room but unreliable

By on Friday, November 2, 2007

"This car is in the shop all the time. I have never had a car that has more rattles, squeaks, or noises in general. There is a horrible grinding noise in one of the rear wheel wells when you make a turn and it has been to the shop many times for this. Finally, a Volvo dealer said that this was a "design defect" and they could not fiz it. This car had been in production multiple years before my 2002, how did Volvo not catch this? Do not buy this car unless you would like to be the most loyal customer at your local Volvo service department. On the positive side, the turbo is great and the gas mileage is good for a vehicle of this size/power."

2002 S80 2.9

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"The S80 is a smooth-riding almost-luxury sedan, on a par with a similar year's Lexus, Audi, etc. A little less sporty than a Saab, a little less prestigious than, say, a Mercedes (though the 2001-2003 Mercedes are notoriously bad cars). Very comfortable, very safe, very reliable. Cold AC with dedicated vents for the rear passengers, plenty of room front and back, nice driving position, intuitive control layout. Decent accelleration from the 2.9L engine, much nicer than and smoother all around than the S40. Also, I hate to disagree with Decky from Jax, but there are no GM parts on a Volvo. GM owns Saab. Ford is partnered with Volvo. Anyway, for the price at which you can now obtain a mid-mileage S80, I think they are a great value."

2004 S80 AWD - BUY USED

By on Friday, May 29, 2009

"I purchased the car used 3 years ago with 48,000 miles from a local individual with all maintenance records. I paid 1/3 the original sticker price with every option Volvo offered. You get a lot of car for not a lot of money. I now have 85,000 miles registered, and I've driven the car from Mexico to Oregon in 100 degree weather to 3 feet of snow. The car is extremely comfortable, reliable, great gas mileage - for a large four door sedan (I drove the car from Orange County, CA to Phoenix, AZ on a tank of gas), and handles superbly in winter conditions (AWD). I've replaced brakes, rotors, and tires, which is standard for any car (you can purchase all the OEM parts for half the price on ebay and have the Volvo dealership install them). I'm disappointed in the faux wood trim and cup holder, but that is my only complaint. My friends made jokes about me driving a Volvo, but after they drove the car from Southern California to Lake Tahoe for a ski trip, they all fell in love with it. Seats 4 comfortably with all your luggage. Dealer mechanic told me the AWD 2.5T was the best and most reliable engine in the S80 series."