2003 Volvo S80

7.3

Based on 322 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

not impressed

By on Wednesday, July 8, 2009

"several mechanical problems occured after 50,000 miles. The European ride and handling takes some getting used to. Great seating once you get your seat adjusted and loaded into memory. Wouldn't recommend use in the snow belt areas without 4 good winter tires."

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Monday, June 1, 2009

"I loved this vehicle I bought it used with 125,000 miles. All I did was brakes & replaced the battery which I found out was the original, it lasted 9 yrs, Amazing!! I never tuned it up & it drove like a champ. I said Loved because my husband got into an accident & he walked away without a scratch. Both Airbags deployed & I think the insurance co. is going to total it out. Hoping they just fix it. I LOVE MY VOLVO!!"

what next...

By on Sunday, April 5, 2009

"hello, my wife and I have owned our volvo for 2 years now and its been nothing but problems. We got it with 70,000 and it was a one woman owned vehicle with all service records from new. The head lights burn out about once every three months, we have replaced power steering rack and pump, alternator, tie-rods inner and outer, CD player, and now the crank shaft bearing went out and they are going to have to pull the motor and replace the bearing, water pump, belt tensioner, and timing belt, the estimate came back over 2,000k... this car has been nothing but problems and a burden to our family i would never recommend an S80 to anyone in fact with this expierence i wouldnt even recomend any volvo pre-ford ownership. oh i forgot the SRS airbag light came on a while back and we had to replace the airbag sensors... and the car was never wrecked. just dont understand..."

By on Saturday, March 7, 2009

"I love my S80. It is extremely comfortable, gets excellent gas mileage on the highway, and has great styling. I get compliments on it all the time. I bought it used over a year ago and other than a few oil changes, no problems thus far. I don't drive a lot of miles so I'm hoping this car lasts a long, long time!"

Stay Away!!

By on Tuesday, September 9, 2008

"The mechanical repairs on the is vehicle have been outrageous!!! I've have nothing but problems (struts, 02 sensors, power windows, front end problems, steering rack, etc. etc. etc.) Stay away from this vehicle... Rather than sink more $$$$ into this vehicle, I'm taking what I can for a trade-in and buying something else..."

Great ride

By on Saturday, September 6, 2008

"Had the 1999 S80 T6 for about 5 years. Bought it with 86,000 already on it. Now has 175,000 miles on the clock. Factoring in the cost of repairs (expensive) it still is a good value. Twin turbo has tons of power, but also gets great gas mileage. Wife wants me to buy another one now."

faithful Volvo

By on Thursday, March 20, 2008

"This is the 5th Volvo I have owned since '79 and I have kept all of the previous ones at least 10 years. I do practically all my own work, so I am basically immune to outrageous dealer service pricing. I bought my T-6 with 76K on it and did virtually nothing on it until it got close to 100K, at which time the suspension and brakes were due for attention, like any vehicle. I love the performance and feel it is very comfortable to drive. I plan on having it for quite a while. Volvos age gracefully."

By on Thursday, January 24, 2008

"Repairs are expensive, but that was expected. Excellent Vehicle."

Great car

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"Bought new S80 in 2001, it's been a good car, going strong at 217k miles. Held up well, no major problems. The only major problem was a sensor issue but they covered it under warrenty. Other than that just normal wear and tear. The only negative is repairs and upkeep can be expensive when done at the dealer, no surprise, but I found a local shop that does great work for 1/3 to 1/2 less."

Don't ever buy this car

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"Bought 1999 as lease return with 36,000 miles. Although it has a lot of power and a relatively smooth ride, it has left me and my family stranded on two road trips from a sensor failing in one case, and the fuel pump going out in the other. In addition, repairs for this car have totaled over $10,000 over the 5 years I've owned it (maybe a third of that was covered before the warranty expired). This Volvo is definitely the worst car I have ever owned."

Great Car!

By on Thursday, December 27, 2007

"I have owned my car for a year now, and I'm very happy with my purchase. I bought a 2003 Volvo S80 2.9L. It handles very well, especially when negotiating turns and curves. It has excellent acceleration. I really enjoy the sound system. I wish the gas mileage was a little better, but overall I would happily recommend this car to a friend. I like the style and comfort best."

Fun to drive, avg reliability

By on Wednesday, November 28, 2007

"My 2000 Volvo S80 was my first 'nice' car. It has a great speaker system and is really fun to drive, especially for a sedan. My family of 4 can ride comfortably on a long trip and the trunk is huge. It takes curves really well and goes fast. The suspension is tight which doesn't always work well on bumpy streets with potholes. Reliability is so so. I have spent money on the suspension, ABS breaks and new struts. Nothing too major but it does get expensive."

1999 S80 improves w/age

By on Tuesday, October 2, 2007

"I love Volvos. This is my 4th. I have had a ton of trouble with it but since I passed 90,000 nothing much goes wrong. Had horrible experiences that were covered under the extended warranty, ETM, sunroof, front brakes locking, oil leaking into the computer...rats! BUT now she's running great, got 120,000 on it. Love the look of the car, love room, seats r awesome, at the resale probably a good one to look at. Would consider a newer one and will probably keep this now. Typically my Volvos go over 200,000. I'll give it to my college son. Also quite excellent with 4 studs in Colorado snow!"

Quality Car

By on Saturday, September 22, 2007

"I bought my used 2001 S-80 2.9 with 50k miles on it. I also purchased an extened warrany with the car which i strongly recommend. I only have had to do minor maintenance/ repair on it and it was covered by the extended warrany.Which saved me thousands of dollars. The only thing I find quite expensive are replacing the brake pads and rotors. I drive around 20-25k a year with no problems. Driving in and around NYC can be demanding however, this car is up to the task. The tires take the beating from the horrible streets (1 flat in 3 yrs). Very happy with the car for the price I paid."

Nice car drives like a wet sponge

By on Thursday, September 6, 2007

"Bought the car used and have had it for a year. No problems to report after 26k of driving. Grreat handling AWD is nice but rarely used. Only compliant is the acceleraton at highway speeds...lets just say cruising is good but if you need the horsepower to pass someone (anyone) try a different car, or give this thing a wide birth. The turbo lag is horrendous. BUT value wise, this car is a bargain used. Fit and finish in the interior is nice. Firm leather doesn't really crack or show age badly, unlike some of the softer leather out there. The gas mileage is nice even though you have to use premium. Definitly recommended i drive 20,000 + a year so far this car has never missed a beat."

2003 S80 T6

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

"I am really impressed with the 2003 S80 T6. It is very roomy, luxurious, yet sporty, Very reliable, and super quiet. I will say for Volvos flagship sedan, 0-60 mph in under 6.5 sec says enough about the performance. As quiet as it is, one would never suspect that this car packed a twin turbo inline 6. AC is very cold, rain sensing wipers, and a his and hers transmission, this car the perfect example of performance luxury. I forgot to mention the 4 disc in dash CD changer, with the 10 speaker sound system, and the full glove soft leather interior. You will not be disappointed with this car."

Lovin' my Volvo!

By on Sunday, August 26, 2007

"I own a 2005 Volvo S80. This is a beautiful car with a comfortable ride and plenty of room for passengers. I love all the little extras in this car. Little things like automatic windshield wipers and instantaneous MPG readings do not go un-noticed. I also love the stability control. Not to mention the wonderful safety ratings that this car gets! I'd recommend this car to anyone!"

First Great Car

By on Saturday, August 11, 2007

"We have loved this car and would totally recommend it to anyone! We feel safe and secure at all times."

Tight fast large sedan

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"Cant complain at all about this car. Had it for over 40k miles and it now has 100k. Sunroof rattle is the only real problem - but no leak, and with a $700 repair, I live with it. Silkey smooth from stop to 80 mph as she presses you back into your 8 way power bucket seat, passing with ease on 2 lane hwys. Great Car for the money!"

Would recommed ONLY for dependability

By on Saturday, July 6, 2013

Pros: "Very dependable, comfortable"

Cons: "Sererely lacks Power"

"Bought my 2001 S80 at an auction with 118000 miles on it for $5,500. I had driven Cadillac's ( STS, Eldo ETC ) for over 10 years. I was disappointed with the performance of the S80!! No power at all. It now has 228,000 miles on it. I had to have the tranni rebuilt at 157,000 miles. I had to do the suspension over at this time also. I did it myself so it was inexpensive to do. Other than that all I had to do was replace a couple of coil packs. I can't complain about the tranni popping at 157,000. So, over all the car was dependable. On road trips the car got 27 MPG. around town it got 18 MPG. If it were not for the lack or power I would have been completely satisfied...."

Best car I've owned

By on Tuesday, February 7, 2012

"I have driven this car for 13 years with no major problems. It still looks good (interior"

This car is great

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "nice ride, great stereo system, love it, great car"

Cons: "it requires gas lol"

"Bought this car and its awesome :D love it you might have to replace parts on the car but what car dosnt require work :P"

Excellent car. 3rd one owned, hard to beat

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pros: "Rides great, very comfortable. Very safe."

Cons: "Repair costs"

"Excellent car. Runs great. Very safe and comfortable. I have not found a comparable car that I like better. Only drawback is that repairs and parts are expensive."

' 10 Years and Still Love the Car

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

"No intention to sell. Good car for trips or City. Very reliable and comfortably."

Best car yet

By on Sunday, January 1, 2012

Pros: "The car is roomy , comfortable seating, good power"

Cons: "It too comfortable to leave it.."

"I just bought this car and it drives like a dream. It has the comfort as if you were driving on your love seat at home. It design is nice and the drive power is excellent. Highly recommend this car."