2002 Volvo S80

7.3

Based on 322 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

2004 S80 AWD - BUY USED

By on Friday, May 29, 2009

"I purchased the car used 3 years ago with 48,000 miles from a local individual with all maintenance records. I paid 1/3 the original sticker price with every option Volvo offered. You get a lot of car for not a lot of money. I now have 85,000 miles registered, and I've driven the car from Mexico to Oregon in 100 degree weather to 3 feet of snow. The car is extremely comfortable, reliable, great gas mileage - for a large four door sedan (I drove the car from Orange County, CA to Phoenix, AZ on a tank of gas), and handles superbly in winter conditions (AWD). I've replaced brakes, rotors, and tires, which is standard for any car (you can purchase all the OEM parts for half the price on ebay and have the Volvo dealership install them). I'm disappointed in the faux wood trim and cup holder, but that is my only complaint. My friends made jokes about me driving a Volvo, but after they drove the car from Southern California to Lake Tahoe for a ski trip, they all fell in love with it. Seats 4 comfortably with all your luggage. Dealer mechanic told me the AWD 2.5T was the best and most reliable engine in the S80 series."

WORK HORSE

By on Sunday, February 15, 2009

"This car is a work horse, drive it above 200-300 miles daily in LA-Southern Ca area. Great mpg, but if you don't turn wrenches you may want to think twice. Goes thru brakes but I just buy new rotors and ceramic pads for $80 bucks and swap out in garage. Coils go out but $57 bucks on internet and 15 min you can change them. Top motor mount went out, $98 and 5 minutes changed it and fuel pump went out $1100 bucks! would never buy one new but got mine with 25k on it for $18k just 2 years old! less than half the sticker, so for the price of a new Hyndai I got a great car. put 90k on it in 2.5 years other than fuel pump, just minor repairs, love it!"

Do NOT Recommend

By on Thursday, November 6, 2008

"I bought this car 3 years ago and have already pumped over $5,000 of repairs into it. I replaced the transmission in the summer of ‘07 and I found out today that I need to replace it again! The owner before me had the transmission replaced as well, so that makes at least 3 transmission replacements, that I know of! The car looks great and feels great, but it is NOT worth it at all. I’ve spent way too much money on this piece of junk and I’m done with it. I will never own another Volvo again, what a waste of money."

Fantastic Four

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"I love this car! Have three kids and they all fit comfortably in the car. Smooth ride, great handling, strong engine and awesome gas mileage. I consistently avg 24 mpg between highway/city driving of 35%/65%. A minor vibration sound on front inside door panels occassionally due to their design is the only "quality" issue I had. Handles great in the snow with FWD. AWD doesn't improve wet/snow traction that considerably for the price difference."

European class luxury and performance

By on Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pros: "excellent styling and power, extremely comfortable"

Cons: "reliability is an issue"

"I purchased this car when it was 2 years old, and I have put over 130,000 miles on it myself. The T6 is wonderfully powerful and so comfortable. It makes long trips effortless and fun. The only bad thing about the car is...it simply will eat you alive on maintenance once things start to go wrong. Coil packs are a particular item it consumes with wild abandon, to the cost of about $400 per visit. If you are prepared to spend some money now and then, and have some decent mechanical skills to where you can do some of the work yourself, this car is awesome. Otherwise, pass...pass...PASS!"