1998 Volvo S70

8.4

Based on 213 Ratings for the 1998 - 2000 models.

LOVE THIS CAR! Safety Features Galore, Dependable

By on Thursday, December 8, 2011

Pros: "Excellent, reliable, SAFE car with all the luxury"

Cons: "NONE that I can think of, our 6th Volvo!"

"I have owned this car since I bought it new. It is dependable, reliable, extremely comfortable, and I feel very safe in it because of all of the safety features. It is built SOLID from the ground up. I have carried my newborn kids in the car without a second thought. I gave it to my teenage daughter when she turned 16 because I felt like if she got into an accident, she'd have the best chance of walking away without so much as a bruise. The front wheel drive is excellent in the snow when we go skiing. On cold Winter mornings it starts up like a charm and the heater works EXCELLENT. The sound system is wonderful and is surrounds you in clear sound. I got 50,000 miles before I had to change my brakes. The trunk is extremely spacious and you can carry three sets of skis in the trunk with the feature the opens a gap in the back seat to bring them through. The leather seats are very comfortable and supportive. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a SAFE, RELIABLE, SPACIOUS CAR, with ALL of the amenities of a luxury cAR. YET IT HANDLES LIKE A SPORTS CAR ! Made in Sweden for their tough climate, it is the best car I've owned in my lifetime."

One of the best kept secrets in cars

By on Friday, April 15, 2011

"I have owned multiple S70 sedans over the years, and presently have a 1998 S70 T5. They are a very well built, reliable, and extremely safe. There is a pervasive myth that these cars are expensive to maintain. This is only the case if you can't do any research on your own and have nil mechanical ability. Volvo dealers will gouge you for maintenance and repairs, outside of warranty, but the fact is...these cars can be easily repaired by any mechanic. They are simple to work on. Parts are extremely abundant in most parts of the U.S. and there are several internet retailers that sell aftermarket parts so cheap that it makes this car as cost effective to own as an American economy car. I put less money into my 13 year old Volvo, than my family put into their 4 year old American cars. Simply put, buy one of these cars, do your research on how-to repairs, and enjoy years of European comfort and reliability for less than $4000 dollars."

Great Car, Nothing like it

By on Saturday, November 24, 2012

Pros: "Luxury, economy, safety, reliability"

Cons: "Expensive parts, poor air condition, depreciates"

"I have ran an 850 wagon SE last 8 years, bought same in a GLT sedan for my son (it is fast), and couldn't resist the low price for an S70 T5 SE (I can't stop working on and detailing to make perfect it is that nice). People joke about how well I keep my cars, the 850SE wagon has 450Km and runs and looks like new. Mind you I am the kind of guy that goes into thrapy of the slightest dome light goes out. The GLT feels like a rocket, nothing touches it on the road, and my sone an I are in debate whether it has been chipped, given the more luxurious T5 SE doesn't seem as fast, or rather the acceleration isn't felt as it seems like a slightly heavier car. I have had two 244 DLS as well years ago, I know Volvos. They don't break often. When they do, avoid the dealers, they are a fortune. If one shops for the original parts on online and has a mechanic than stealership install, it will cost less to drive a better car than anything North American or Offshore. What ever they aspire to do, Volvo has done. My SEs are luxurious, the GT is light and nimble, all are bullet proof as their greatest strength. Very relaxing for very long drives. They are the best, literally. Mind you I bought these in fear that 96-98's are becoming scarce and I understand they are the best ones. After Ford took them over. I don't know, I read a lot of horror stories. Get on in good condition as major parts are expensive and you may be driving years and maintenance free. I can't say enough about them, they are great."

only problem was overheating in summer

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pros: "great comfortable ride"

Cons: "flimsy cup holders, car overheated in summer"

"Bought this car used. Found out later S70 model has reputation for mechanical problems. Initially a problem car. Replaced motor and ignition. Still overheated in summer and no one could figure out why but God, I loved this car! Great ride, comfortable, power everything, heated seats, ALWAYS started. I was looking for safe, reliable, comfortable car with a good ride. It was all of that. I had trouble at first but from what I understand from others, this is unusual. I would definitely buy another Volvo but I'll have it checked out first."

Wonderful ride

By on Sunday, February 14, 2016

Pros: "Easy maintenance, reliable, powerful, fast"

Cons: "radio antenna is motorized"

"I bought mine used with 86k miles - i've since doubled it's mileage. This car is powerful, responsive and allegedly safe - haven't tested that yet. Easy to work on by design of Volvo's philosophy. When my car ultimately dies (if ever) i'm taking the bucket seats with me and making furniture - they will live on. They're the most comfortable seat (of any kind) i've ever sat on. All cars have their share of problems - with these the issues are known and relatively inexpensive to repair (heater core will go around 150k miles/15 years = $100 and 30" labor - very easy repair. It helps that there's a strong online community of shadetree's willing to share their repair secrets - makes maintenance cheaper."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volvo S70 near Honolulu. See local deals