2012 Volvo S60

Based on 77 Ratings for the 2011 - 2016 models.

The Sure-footed Swede

By on Thursday, March 24, 2016

Pros: "Beautiful, value, efficient, fast, agile"

Cons: "Ride, rear seat, trunk"

"I have owned this car, certified pre-owned, since 8,800 miles (approx.). I've put a little over 5,000 miles on it since, and I can't say much of anything negative about it. Ember Black Pearl metallic paint is a WONDERFUL color. If there is anything I would improve, it would be the dashboard. There is an area around the central air vent that's missing an aluminum ring around it (compare it to the outer air vents), and I wouldn't mind having the dashboard wrapped in stitched leather. (It's soft-touch plastic.) Mercs, Jags, Lexuses and Audis probably have marginally-better attention to the finer details. That being said, short of a few niggles on the interior, there is absolutely NO shortage of comfort. The leather and seats are soft, sumptuous and supportive enough for the average sport driver, though those dedicated to the art would likely prefer a REAR-wheel drive car. The rear seat room is a little tight so I wouldn't recommend it for VERY long hauls. You better not mind frequent trips to the grocery store because of its small trunk. And if you get the Sport Package, be prepared to feel the imperfections in the road. On the flip side, with the sport suspension, it corners every bit like a BMW or a Cadillac. It's a beautiful, stylish and unique car that's a fantastic alternative to the more common German choices. It feels put together like a drum, and projected reliability (and experienced, in my case, so far) is excellent. Fuel economy is terrific (I only fill up about once a month AND it takes Regular gas), and it's a wonderful value if you're buying CPO. For the same price as a mid-range Camry or Accord, you can buy this beautiful, efficient and stylish full-on luxury car, fully-loaded, fast and fun. And its base engine is equal or superior to the competitors' offerings in both power and efficiency. Highly, HIGHLY recommended."

2013 Volvo S60 T6 AWD. One word: Fantastic!

By on Sunday, August 7, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive, heavy, solid, and safe."

Cons: "Minor quibbles. Temperamental BLIP camera."

"Thanks to all the reviews here. They are so helpful. Yet, some end up with a bad one (I had a brand new Volvo that turned out to be a lemon - the dealer took it back and gave me another new one which, thankfully, had no problems). I have owned a number of Hondas and Mazdas. This is my third Volvo - all bought new. My first two were S40s and this is the first S60. Had a major rear-end collision in my S40 and walked away without a scratch - the car was a write-off! Definitely more comfortable and spacious than the smaller Volvo. Fully loaded to the teeth (T6 AWD, Tech package, leather, all options). Rather than repeat the obvious (safety, comfort and comparing other brands), I decided to list the positives and negatives. PLUS Bold and aggressive looks; Good ride; excellent brakes; most comfortable seats; lovely and very aesthetic interior; stable bluetooth; great turbo (never missed a merge or felt slow); fantastic acceleration; highway driving is blissful; rock solid road hugging; remote collapsible rear headrests allow good visibility; regular gas (no more premium); relatively quiet engine (with AC off); stable AWD amazing in snow; many safety options; superb and fast seat heating; fun cornering without too much leaning; deep and two-level glovebox; very minimalist dash without busy and gaudy colours; excellent fit and finish; collapsible rear split seat; many safety features; anti-collision is great (freaked me out the first time it slammed on the brakes for me as I rushed up the ramp to the underground garage door as it opened) - lesson: slow down! Maintenance is amazingly simple - gas, car wash, routine maintenance at the dealer. Many think that a Volvo is usually driven by an older person (I'm young) - so, not too many tailgaters ;). Besides, I have 24/7 BlackVue front and rear video dashcams hot-wired into the system. Overall, the BEST luxury car without having to shout it out. Better deal to have it all and not be yelling about it. Not too many want to steal a Volvo (thankfully, they only know about the old Volvos). MINUS Average mileage (delight that you don't own a Hummer); lousy turn radius (better plan to take two lanes to make a U-turn. This is not your Mazda3); slow and clumsy navigation (inaccurate at times) - best to use Google Maps (you could be there setting your destination for awhile); Park Assist could be faster (wait for it to start-up and keep your eyes on your neighbour's dog); creaking sounds in door (drives me nuts! Dealer unable to identify source after repeated tries) - consoled myself as a Boeing jet also has creaking sounds while take-off and landing; passenger belt doesn't retract well and keeps knocking on the pillar (yoga pose one to adjust it); lethargic keyless entry (patience is the KEY); 17" wheel rims are quite narrow (ended up fixing damaged alloys due to ubiquitous potholes); no spare tire and no dedicated space to save one (only sealant) - so, bought run-flat tires; could have more secure storage areas - not just open holes; noisy engine when AC is on (feels like a jet shutting down); smaller trunk (buy a minivan for those long trips); rear seat could have more leg room (get your tall kids to buy their own vehicles) - adults who paid for the car get better comforts (LOL); driver's side wind noise (only during windy days); radio needs to be on for phone to work via Bluetooth (no luck if you forget to turn on the radio); no phone hangup button on steering wheel (yoga pose two - good stretch to the dashboard); BLIS side cameras blink continuously if it is raining (a problem reported many times elsewhere. Replaced camera twice before realizing this was a problem that cannot be fixed). So, why did I give a 10/10? Well, none of the negatives are deal-breakers. If this happened to be a perfect car (there are none), you would be in heaven :). Since, I am not perfect (like anybody else), I don't need a perfect car. Thanks for reading. If you are in doubt - buy the car. It's the best car I have ever owned."

So Far So Good

By on Sunday, February 13, 2011

"Definitely not your father's Volvo. Smart looking, incredibly comfortable, powerful engine. Some controls may be difficult to get use to. My initial experience has been a great one. The 5 year-60,000 bumper-to-bumper warranty with scheduled maint. included is about as good as it gets."

Volvo S 60 T5

By on Sunday, May 5, 2013

Pros: "Great value, luxurious, excellent gas mileage"

Cons: "interior storage"

"I've owned a BMW 3 series and test drove the Mercedes C250 and this car is so much better. It's very luxurious and had so much more value than either the MB or BMW. I drove it on the autobahn and it is near the standard of the German cars. My only real complaint and it is small is that there is no real stroage cubbies in the cockpit. Other than that, the driving dynamics are excellent as well as the overall ownership experience. We utilize the dealer in Pensacola and they are awesome."

Excellent car

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "Comfort, style and performance"

Cons: "Minor interior design and multimedia control issue"

"I have the 2012 S60 T5 with Premium Package. Extremely comfortable, smooth ride and nice handling. I look forward to driving it even just to and from work. Very minor nitpicky stuff: the front passenger seatbelt buckle bangs against the interior when going over bumps (an adhesive felt patch fixed this), you have to hold down the power button on the multimedia system for 5 seconds for it to activate and the hooks for hanging your jacket/drycleaning don't hold more than one hanger very well. While I devoted the most verbage in this review to negatives, it was to hightlight that those are the only ones I have found - this is a really fun car. FYI - I shopped it against the BMW 3 series, Acura TSX, Infinti G series and Lexus ES. No comparison - best quality, most features and most comfort is the S60."