2011 Volvo S40

Based on 284 Ratings for the 2004 - 2011 models.

Why did I even hesitate?

By on Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Pros: "fun to drive, solid, fuel economy, styling"

Cons: "heated seats not standard for leather (that's it!)"

"While in the market for a commuter car I looked at every available option, and I mean every make and model available in the US with every available engine. After a few test driving fails, the dealer suggested I try the S40. All the usual pitfalls crossed my mind... European reliability, limited dealer network, expensive to repair and maintain (I've owned VWs and a Porsche)... but one test drive and I fell in love. This particular vehicle I purchased had a clean vehicle history, I found a local shop that specializes in repairing and maintaining European vehicles at a reasonable price, and I do have a dealer less than 2 hours away so I went for it. It seemed more exciting than a Toyota Carolla, with better quality components than the Chevy Cruze to name a couple contenders. I could not be happier! The car looks, feels, and drives like new. It holds the road very well and just seems solidly built. I have also been pleasantly surprised by the fuel economy. I've gotten a pretty steady 28-29 MPG at 80 MPH.. 33-34 at normal highway speeds. I love this car and am already thinking about buying my next Volvo."

Great car

By on Friday, September 3, 2010

"I love my S40. I got it while was pregnant with my son, since I was driving a sports car at he time. My biggest disappointment is the back seats. The doors didn't open enough to get the carrier in and out, and the center seat is more of a bump, giving a bucket seat effect, but forcing me to put the car seat on the end. I love the way it handles, it's no sports car, but it's not a big car so I could still move easily through traffic. My husband and I are skinny, so we fit just fine in the front, but if we were larger people, it would not be so comfortable."

very nice car

By on Saturday, October 6, 2007

"I bought my 06 T5 AWD last August. It has the premium interior, sound system and climate packages. The car is extremely comfortable, handles well and has great acceleration. I have 20K miles on it now and it's been flawless. Fuel economy on the highway is around 28-29 and I get 23-24 when banging around. I live in a hilly area, so I expect you could get better on more level terrain. The car is great all around but I've been particularly impressed with its highway performance. It is very well planted, even at high speed, and the engine really delivers when changing lanes. Did I mention how comfortable the car is - long trips are a pleasure."

Sweet Spot In Car Market

By on Friday, December 12, 2008

"I do computer repairs and spend a lot of time driving from one location to the next. I also do alot of outdoor activities and travel to get to trailheads or waterway access. This is one of the most comfortable cars I've ever owned, has nice handling and decent trunk space. Downsides: trunk space could be bigger, it won't take a roof mounted bike carrier, no remote trunk unlocking or automatic door unlocking when you remove the key. Upsides: great mileage in town, great mileage on the highway, lots of creature comfort, built-in jack for my MP3 player and the safest feeling car I ever sat in. I'd like to compare the feel to BMW or MB, but it would not be fair as the Volvo cost so much less! Yeah, the others are quicker, but the mileage of the Volvo more than makes up for that."

One of the best vehicles I've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"What a great car. The best car my wife or I have ever owned, period. After 2.5 years of ownership, my wife and I usually trade in a car on something else out of boredom. Not so with this car. Nothing else on the market tempts us. We have the 2.4i, and it's certainly nimble and quick enough for most things, we sometimes wish we had the T5. Passing performance on a hot day with the AC on is only acceptable on the 2.4i. We did have to replace the tires at 22.5k miles due to crummy tires and weird wear. Replaced with a different brand and it made a world of difference, the car is even quieter and more responsive now. Stock Michy's are crummy tires! We had a couple of electical gremlins pop up in the first year with the climate control and stereo, but the dealership has taken care of the problems and the car has been great ever since. We have the premium stereo and it's the first car I've ever owned or been in that actually lives up to the name. Superb. The best factory stereo I've ever heard this side of $60K+ Lexus, BMW, MB, or Infiniti systems. Fantastic car for road trips. Incredibly comfortable seats. We get about 32-33mpg at steady cruise on the highway. This car, especially with the T5 engine, is a wonderful vehicle. We really love it. Volvo hit a home run with this one."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volvo S40 near Honolulu. See local deals