2012 Volkswagen Tiguan

8.2

Based on 146 Ratings for the 2009 - 2017 models.

Fun to drive.

By on Tuesday, May 2, 2017

"Our 2011 Jetta TDI may have been the best car we have ever owned. The driving experience spoiled us to anything else. As you have read in the news, it really was too good to be true. VW bought it back and though we were disappointed to lose the little diesel we were pleased with the deal. We wanted the same fun driving experience, but decided to trade the incredible mileage of the Jetta for all wheel drive. I made a list of about 20 cars in the class and price range. We drove them all. Nothing in the price range came close to the Tiguan for the driving experience. A lot of professional reviews favor the CR-V, Rav 4, or the Mazdas. We found them to be sorely underpowered. We drove a Subaru for years and loved it, but the Outback by comparison drives like a big family sedan and the Forester adds the disadvantage of road noise. The Kia Sorento was good, but loud and too big, and steering was loose-goosy on the Sportage. Then we drove a Tiguan. Wow! Five months out with the car we find their is a down side. Average mileage is in the low 20s and they recommend premium gas. We do the premium though is costs about 40 cents more per gallon than regular. But its easy to forget all that while driving the winding highways in our area, especially when its time to jump out and pass a slow car on a two lane. Driving the Tiguan always brings on a tremendous sense of satisfaction and puts a smile on my face."

Small CUV that offers great performance and luxury

By on Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pros: "Performance, good handling, acceleration"

Cons: "Pricey (unless compared to Audis and BMWs)"

"Good-handling small utility vehicle with turbo four and 6-speed automatic, navigation, rear camera, leather heated seats,power folding mirrors and adaptive xenon headlights for $35K -- coupled with excellent nearby dealer (in Mobile, AL)and 3-year free maintenance makes the Tiguan SEL a very competitive vehicle. You get 3/4 of of the new BMW X1 for much less in comparable trim. Downsides are just OK fuel mileage for class (Since new I've been getting about 22mpg around town and 26mpg on four-lanes and Interstates -- very close to EPA ratings), relatively small cargo space with rear seats up (but very good rear leg room) and inconvenient rear seat folding -- and they don't lie perfectly flat. But I traded these shortcomings for excellent handling and acceleration and a vehicle that is sporty and different from more common small utility vehicles."

Very nice in city or on open highway

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "great acceleration and handling. FUN to drive"

Cons: "Premium gas, small storage area,"

"Low fatigue factor. Did very well in snow and ice, Low maintenance. Turbo makes this vehicle an excellent choice over competition."

Fun to Drive.....but

By on Monday, January 16, 2017

Pros: "Handling, stereo system, all weather driving"

Cons: "climate control and mileage"

"Ok, let me start by saying that overall I love my 2015 Tiguan SE 4 Motion overall. Fun to drive, nice features for the price, great all around vehicle that can take you from the city to most rural driving. Have driven it in sun, rain, snow, ice...and it has handled everything like a champ. The panorama sunroof is a nice feature along with the heated seats, and for the most part everything is pretty intuitive in terms of the controls. Another nice feature is the manual or automatic transmission, which can fit your driving mood. However, dislike that it runs on premium which is not the end of the world but is an added cost of owning. Our mileage is pretty average, perhaps 17-19 mpg around town and perhaps 24-26 mpg on the highway, which for a smaller suv seems pretty low. Probably the #1 thing we do not like on the Tiguan is the climate control system.....it is terribly inefficient and for what ever reason is not dual climate control. Hot out? understand that it will take awhile to cool it down as the vents just don't push air at all. Cold out? Same issue....no air comes out of the vents. Thankfully there is a sunroof to let the hot air escape somewhat until the AC figures out how to cool the interior down. Overall, I would say the car is a decent value and I would recommend it to anyone. If VW can make a few changes(mainly the climate control system), this vehicle would be perfect!"

Very Happy with 2013 SEL 4 Motion Tiguan

By on Friday, February 1, 2013

Pros: "Driving, handling , pick up and design"

Cons: "The Ride....rougher in the SEL series."

"We have about 1,200 miles on our Tiguan. The handling and driving is a 10. The exterior and Interior design is great, comfort seating is wonderful. We have the 4-Motion series (AWD) and it handles great in the snow. Fun to drive, great pick up and for passing !! The only negative I see is that the SEL series has a "sport" ride which is not as smooth as the SE or the S model. This is primarily due to the 19 inch tires/wheels on the SEL series. However, we still LOVE the vehicle. We liked it better than the Honda CRV , the Toyota RAV 4 and the Chevy Equinox. Has a 12 yr rust corrision warranty"

Great car with some annoying quirks

By on Monday, April 2, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, agile, great driving experience"

Cons: "Gas, bad navigation system, over-sensitive ABS"

"When I was shopping for cars, the most important thing to me was driveability - how did it feel when driving it. This was by far the best car I tested in what I was looking for (a compact SUV), and I do not regret my purchase. The car handles well and feels great to drive. There are some annoying quirks, mainly with the onboard system. Basically, the navigation system is terrible and the whole system is very unintuitive. I also find the anti-lock brake system to be WAY too sensitive - it kicks at least once a day, whenever I brake while driving on even a bit of gravel. The gas mileage isn't great, and I wish it didn't have to be premium, but I don't drive so much that it's a big consideration. Ultimately, in the areas that matter most, this car is excellent."

TIMING CHAIN BROKE AT 73000 MILES.

By on Saturday, September 5, 2015

Reason: TIMING CHAIN BROKE

"$5000 REPAIR BILL FOR BROKEN TIMING CHAIN."

Seriously Sporty Small SUV

By on Friday, June 7, 2013

Pros: "Handling, acceleration, options and features, VW i"

Cons: "Kind of cut-rate on details, premium fuel required"

"Bought in 2011 for good acceleration and handling -- turbo 2.0 liter engine is same as in GTI and has 6-speed torque convertor transmission (less common among small crossovers then than now). Picked SEL with upgraded Nav to get adaptive headlights, power drivers seat and back-up camera. Most expensive version (delivered: $35K). Love the performance but less excited about utility as an SUV -- small on the outside is good but this one is cramped on the inside. Minimal storage in passenger compartment and the most awkward fold down rear seats that I can recall (my old Santa Fe's were equally crude with same straps, but far easier to use and requiring less muscle.) Dealership has exceptionally good service department and with VW's no-cost maintenance I have spent $0 on anything (ran out a few months ago so I'm now on my own with pretty steep labor rates and very expensive parts). I like VW's and love the dealer -- have a second one ('08 Rabbit) and will keep it when the Tiguan goes. Interesting that the $20K Rabbit is a more refined design and has a more upscale feel even though it lacks the Tiguan's gadgets -- and it doesn't require a manual strut to keep the hood open (a real down-scale item on Tiguan)"

By on Sunday, November 29, 2009

"I have had my Tiguan for a year now and I still love it!! I drive it in the Wyoming winter and it does great."

not great

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "price fine love to drive when its not in the shop"

Cons: "phone chargers"

"I bought this car used had it for a year and the dealer has had it more than I have first with just regular things like replaceing power switches then it went to fuel sending unit went out and they had it for 2 months now its back and had 7 codes in it to fix...."

Dissapointed

By on Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, good price, interio/ext excellent"

Cons: "premium gas, many repairs, only 3yr warranty"

"I bought my car and after only 32k went to the mechanic 2 times. First to replace the exhaust System then a coil blow because of that repair. dealer says probably to replace at a later time the other 3 coils left. I love the car, Outside and Inside is perfect but I'm afraid that after 5 years and no warranty I might need more major repairs. I would never buy VW again :("

Fun to drive - great car

By on Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Pros: "Size, ride, utility"

"We own a 2010 Tiguan SEL 4Motion. After an initial navigation system glitch (turned out to be a bad antenna) we are extremely happy with this SUV. It is sporty and fun to drive. The turbo gives it plenty of power when needed. It has a firm, smooth ride and handles bumps well. Also does great in the snow. It has good cargo space for a full load of groceries with the seats up, and with the rear seats down, it has a lot of usable space for bikes, small furniture pieces, etc. Reliability has been excellent and parking it in urban areas is easy. It is a perfect small SUV for city dwellers."

Excellent value, the GTI of SUVs

By on Saturday, June 7, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, quality, performance, great to drive"

Cons: "Luggage space, fuel consumption"

"After almost 2 years ownership we still love this car. It's well made, has excellent performance and is extremely comfortable. The interior is made to Audi quality standards. The ride is excellent over Houston's potholed roads. The only negative is that the luggage space is a bit limited compared to it's competitors. We've had no reliability issues whatsoever. The turbo engine delivers effortless acceleration that shames many sportscars. Fuel economy is a but higher than expected, especially around town. Highly recommended."

Great vehicle

By on Thursday, December 6, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, good economy, comfort and quality"

Cons: "18" wheels make for some expensive snow tires"

"I have been 100% happy with this vehicle. From the handling, to the gas mileage, to the build quality and the comfort I have no complaints. Space is great and the little 4 cylinder puts out plenty of power for the car."

2012 TIGUAN SE 4motion

By on Monday, July 2, 2012

Pros: "Looks, Quality of Materials, Fit n Finish..."

Cons: "Premium fuel, AC vent angles, 34k without pwr seat"

"This vehicle is absolutely awesome! Fell in love at first sight and drive! There isn't much I'd change, but maybe the vent angles...they don't position down very far. Other than that, great little suv with more than expected room inside."

Sport Car with leg room. LOVE IT.

By on Sunday, July 1, 2012

Pros: "Size, Interior Space, Handling, MPG, Sunroof"

Cons: "No TDI version in the states."

"Switching over from an Audi A4, I am absolutely in love with this little SUV. The 4 cylinder sips gas and has plenty of power and drive. The interior is SO great and its a great looking SUV. I have no complaints! Can't wait to drive it in the snow and compare the 4-motion to the Quattro. I have very high expectations! :) BUY THIS SUV. **THE SUNROOF IS SO FANTASTIC**"

Great handling

By on Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "?"

"Great handling, torque. Good in snow. Great reliability!"

I love it!

By on Friday, October 28, 2011

Pros: "Comfort, looks, quality"

Cons: "Price...but hey, you get what you pay for!"

"I owned a 2009 prior to this one and it saved my life. Very comfortable and reliable. Sleek and stylish. I absolutely adore it. I think I treat it better than my family sometimes ;-)"

Tiger or Iguana - Liek it either way

By on Sunday, October 3, 2010

"So far, so good - A really nice little Car/SUV (I bought AWD) for the money. Very tight handling, really notice the power assisted steering, 2.0 Turbo is a rocket, Tiptronic shifting makes it fun to drive. Nice sound system, navigation and awesome panoramic moon roof...A bit of road noise from cabin, but not offensive. Lots of storage...everywhere. If I had one criticism, it would be the sluggish feel off the line when in drive versis using Tiptronic shifting. Gas mileage in city is just under 19 (I have lead foot, so it's cool) and highway betwen 25-27. Also - I'm not wild about wiper controls for front or real - Seems like the Germans tried to hide them, for whetever reason. Leatherette seating is awesome and better than leather from a cleaning perspective."

Do not buy a Tiguan

By on Friday, September 11, 2015

"This is the worst car I have ever owened. If a light for so mechanical reason is not on than I get really scared. This vehicle has cost us over $5000.00 in repairs alone. I recommend to nver buy a Tiguan!"

Amazing SUV

By on Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, small enough to fit everywhere"

Cons: "Bumpy ride"

"Extremely fun to drive. Love the interior, it's very comfortable in both passenger seat and driver seat. Only complaint is that the Tigaun SEL is not as smooth riding as I would have hoped. If you want a smoother ride chose a S or SE."

By on Friday, May 13, 2011

Great fun to drive. Agile, plenty of power.

By on Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Pros: "Lots of fun to drive."

Cons: "Well above averge repair costs."

"My Tiguan is a 2010. Drives like a small European sports car. Adequate interior space, 4 motion AWD tracks very well through some of the worst winter weather driving (except higher snow drifts). My complaints are with below average reliability. Problems began at around 70,000 miles. I've had 3 water pumps, trouble with emissions system, replaced turbo, clogged injectors, replaced nearly all motor seals, and other issues. Total cost of dealer completed repairs and maintenance to date with 108k miles - $13,600 (ridiculous). If you get one of these, enjoy it until around 60k miles, then get rid of it!"

Nice car, but... with BIG but.

By on Monday, June 4, 2012

Pros: "in overall - great car"

Cons: "Not reliable"

"Loved it from day 1. All was great and with no problems until 27K at 22 months old. Being away from home 250 miles, loosing coolant... visited nearest VW dealer seeking for help. Checked vehicle, could not find any thing. Gave me 2 extra bottles of coolant and OK to drive home. As soon as I get home I go to my dealership for check up: head gasket! Engine replaced. Month after, engine light is on again: mass airflow sensor. Don't trust is anymore. Can't wait to pay it off and get something else, but not VW anymore."

I love this car!

By on Thursday, December 22, 2011

Pros: "Comes standard with bluetooth!"

Cons: "small trunk space..."

"I never considered a Volkswagen before and after weeks of research (thank you KBB), I was down to the CRV and Tiguan. I test drove both and I LOVED the Tiguan. I have only had the car for a month, but I am so happy with the choice I made. This car is SUPER FUN to drive and I only got the base model. Plus, I love that it comes with Bluetooth standard (the Honda doesn't) and I can play my iPhone with Blutooth audio!"