2012 Volkswagen Tiguan

8.2

Based on 146 Ratings for the 2009 - 2017 models.

Great small CUV

By on Monday, August 13, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, top notch quality."

Cons: "Not as roomy as some; SEL has rides very firmly."

"Although the professional reviews ping it for not tops in space with the competition, I love the car specifically for its size and agility. It is easy to park in the city, and although it is shorter than most of the competitors, I have found that it has plenty of passenger room and space for hauling larger objects. The adjustable/reclining rear seat makes all of the difference. Most importantly, it drives much better than the competition. It's like a tall sports car. The car also has a quality feeling that the others in the class cannot match, and materials are a step above Toyota, Honda, or Hyundai. The Dynaudio stereo is top notch. Everything is has a solid feel. This car is more in line with an Audi, BMW or Volvo than a Toyota or Honda. I love it!"

Unique compact SUV

By on Friday, May 19, 2017

Pros: "comfort, performance, utility, security & safety"

Cons: "placement of central AC vents,"

"This is my 8th VW (new and used) since 1982 and the best. Despite the experts criticism of its lack of cargo space (for which there is no industry wide criteria for measuring) it is extremely functional. No-one mentions the useful extra storage space under the cargo area in addition to the full size temporary spare tire and the standard hard cargo cover (security and safety asset). The ability to slide the rear seats forward 7 inches to increase the area w/o having to lower the rear seats is another feature as is the reclining seat backs for the rear seats. There is the usual VW quality feel about the interior appointments and seats that will not give you a sore back after 10 hours at the wheel. My only complaint about the inter is the placement of the central AC vents, very non VW. I am averaging 22 mpg in urban and in town driving, my experience has been that a VW will average 10-12% better combined mileage than the EPA estimate. Per normal VW characteristics great stability, handling and tracking combined with a quiet smooth ride. Unless you are only interested in maximum mileage or have more than 2 children this is, Im my opinion the best all around compact SUV. For extras, when you need to merge with freeway traffic or Dad just wants to have a little fun all you have to do is downshift into Sport Mode, be prepared to be pushed back into the seat and hear that direct fuel injection GTI engine sing as it revs to redline."

Solid Crossover

By on Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"An excellent VW product. With smart driving and mid grade gas I'm able to average 25 MPG in the city. The turbo can really get this baby moving and it sticks to the road. In fact to me it feels less like an SUV and more like my old VW Rabbit, but with mor pickup! I've taken it on a long trip, 1800 miles round trip with 2 other adults plus an infant. It carried us and all our gear in comfort. The base model has more than enough features and I'd recommend this to anyone looking at a crossover."

Responsive

By on Friday, January 27, 2012

Pros: "details are well done"

Cons: "a bit pricey"

"Had the car a couple years, great for touring and quite nimble. Snow is no problem and the size is good for two or four. Handy to carry the kayak or bikes."

Fun, Sporty, Practical, Small Family Car

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, Quick, Versatile, Practical,"

Cons: "Wish there was a little more cargo space."

"We love our Tiguan. It is a great vehicle that was reasonably priced with a little luxury to it and of course it is also sporty. It is just me and my wife; we use it to travel a good bit and it is great. We bought it with expectations of beginning a family. It is a very safe car ratings wise but it also provides a feeling of confidence. It is stable and feels planted to the gorund at all times. The interior is surprisingly roomy and comfortable. We fell in love with the heated seats; being in the south we didnt think they were necessary but man have we changed our minds. The only complaint we have is that occasionally we will bring friends along on a trip. If you have four adults and any substantial amount of cargo or luggage it starts to get a little cramped. Oh, one last thing. This thing drives great in low traction situations. Ours is Front Wheel Drive but I have driven it confidentally during ice storms and wintery conditions. It even went up a steep hill where several cars were stranded trying to go up. We even used it to drive down a muddy Georgia red clay road which if you have had experience with can be as bad or worse than ice."

Refinement at a great price

By on Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pros: "Driving experience, quality of materials"

Cons: "None to date"

"I've had my 2013 Tiguan S for a little over a month and am very pleased so far. I gave the Tiguan a "9" rating on the scale simply because no car (or anything for that matter is perfect) but it comes close in the automotive world. In sum, great driving dynamics, handling and interior fit, finish and quality are flawless and on par with Audi as has been noted in many reviews. One thing I particularly like about the Tiguan is the simplicity, logic and clarity of the interior layout and functions. While the Tiguan is pricier than similar competitors, it lives up to the adage that "you get what you pay for" and, in this case, it's a quality build and materials."

Good, but....

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "AWD, design, safety"

Cons: "price,cargo space,fuel injectors,VW claim service"

"I've had this vehicle (4 motion AWD) for close to 3 years. I've been happy with the car and had no major incidents until 4 months ago when the fuel injector broke down and I was stranded in the middle of nowhere. If I wasn't under warranty i'd be out of ~6k. Filed a trip interruption expense claim at VW, it took forever to get reviewed; I was granted compensation but haven't seen anything yet. They're unbelievably inefficient and slow. I like the ( interior & exterior) design, the sound system and handling/stability. Performs well in snow/on ice. Downsides are small cargo space and seat material which appears difficult to clean. I am concerned about expensive breakdowns after I'm out of warranty."

1st VW, great ride, sporty, quick, stylish

By on Friday, January 3, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "Sporty fun to drive"

Cons: "Average mileage, high maintenance costs"

"I leased my 2011 Tiguan SE with Panormaic roof and GPS and will be purchasing it. First off the upside: It is the nicest car I will have ever purchased. The ride is quiet on the freeway but can get mildly clunky on uneven surfaces. The leatherette seats are comfortable and easy to clean. The comfort is fantastic for a tall guy like me (6'5"). The handling and breaking is phenomenal! Excellent cornering, acceleration, and braking. Sport mode on curvy Sierra foothill highways is like a rollercoaster ride, better than any SUV I have ever driven and I have owned a few. I love the panoramic roof but the GPS is average often not reliably locating addresses and can be complicated to use. The 4motion is excellent in snow although the open wheel design can get packed with snow and cause a vibration comparable to a wheel out of balance. The downside: I had a bad fuse that melted in the fusebox slot after warranty but the VW dealer replaced free of charge anyway. I also had an intake manifild go bad at 30,000 miles that was covered under warranty. Mileage is averaging 23 per gallon, 19 city, 25 highway just as advertised. Not bad but there are many CUVs that have better. I had the free maintenance and once that was over I took it to a reputable local foreign car service for maintenance. I'd say the average service costs for a turbocharged VW is around $300-500 per 10,000 miles driven. That is not cheap but the car performs as good as the day I bought it. I'd recommend this car for the fun driving and comfort but will add that you should keep up on your maintenance if you want to avoid more expensive fixes and shop time."

Best SUV ever !!! Drives like a sports car !!!

By on Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pros: "Fun Quality.... Comfort...Quality interior"

"This granny is absolutely thrilled with her tiguan. I feel like I am driving a sports car, but still have room for all I need, and get great visibility. Comfortable and sassy !!! Great engineering ...wonderful vehicle!!! Love love to pass those slow folks....and the fantastic nav system gets me wherever I need to be. Back-up camera is the best ever."

Still a Great Small SUV

By on Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Pros: "VW, Attractive, Smart"

Cons: "Will become bigger next year"

"The Tiguan has been out for 8 years and its still a great alternative to the boring SUV. You know the ones are Vans disguised as an SUV. The ones that are cavernous and tend to have way too much on the dash and a lot of empty space in the back. The Tiguan gives you just what you need with style and class. It has one of the better AWD systems mirroring the Quattro system and is a blast to drive. If you looking for a smooth ride do no look in this class. You do not buy a small SUV to have a luxury ride, thus the meaning of SUV! Next year the Tiguan will be a whole new game but for now you can still own this cute, well appointed and snappy vehicle. Everything got smaller and now they are getting bigger????"