2011 Volkswagen Tiguan

8.2

Based on 146 Ratings for the 2009 - 2017 models.

Unique compact SUV

By on Friday, May 19, 2017

Pros: "comfort, performance, utility, security & safety"

Cons: "placement of central AC vents,"

"This is my 8th VW (new and used) since 1982 and the best. Despite the experts criticism of its lack of cargo space (for which there is no industry wide criteria for measuring) it is extremely functional. No-one mentions the useful extra storage space under the cargo area in addition to the full size temporary spare tire and the standard hard cargo cover (security and safety asset). The ability to slide the rear seats forward 7 inches to increase the area w/o having to lower the rear seats is another feature as is the reclining seat backs for the rear seats. There is the usual VW quality feel about the interior appointments and seats that will not give you a sore back after 10 hours at the wheel. My only complaint about the inter is the placement of the central AC vents, very non VW. I am averaging 22 mpg in urban and in town driving, my experience has been that a VW will average 10-12% better combined mileage than the EPA estimate. Per normal VW characteristics great stability, handling and tracking combined with a quiet smooth ride. Unless you are only interested in maximum mileage or have more than 2 children this is, Im my opinion the best all around compact SUV. For extras, when you need to merge with freeway traffic or Dad just wants to have a little fun all you have to do is downshift into Sport Mode, be prepared to be pushed back into the seat and hear that direct fuel injection GTI engine sing as it revs to redline."

Great small CUV

By on Monday, August 13, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, top notch quality."

Cons: "Not as roomy as some; SEL has rides very firmly."

"Although the professional reviews ping it for not tops in space with the competition, I love the car specifically for its size and agility. It is easy to park in the city, and although it is shorter than most of the competitors, I have found that it has plenty of passenger room and space for hauling larger objects. The adjustable/reclining rear seat makes all of the difference. Most importantly, it drives much better than the competition. It's like a tall sports car. The car also has a quality feeling that the others in the class cannot match, and materials are a step above Toyota, Honda, or Hyundai. The Dynaudio stereo is top notch. Everything is has a solid feel. This car is more in line with an Audi, BMW or Volvo than a Toyota or Honda. I love it!"

Solid Crossover

By on Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"An excellent VW product. With smart driving and mid grade gas I'm able to average 25 MPG in the city. The turbo can really get this baby moving and it sticks to the road. In fact to me it feels less like an SUV and more like my old VW Rabbit, but with mor pickup! I've taken it on a long trip, 1800 miles round trip with 2 other adults plus an infant. It carried us and all our gear in comfort. The base model has more than enough features and I'd recommend this to anyone looking at a crossover."

Responsive

By on Friday, January 27, 2012

Pros: "details are well done"

Cons: "a bit pricey"

"Had the car a couple years, great for touring and quite nimble. Snow is no problem and the size is good for two or four. Handy to carry the kayak or bikes."

Fun, Sporty, Practical, Small Family Car

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, Quick, Versatile, Practical,"

Cons: "Wish there was a little more cargo space."

"We love our Tiguan. It is a great vehicle that was reasonably priced with a little luxury to it and of course it is also sporty. It is just me and my wife; we use it to travel a good bit and it is great. We bought it with expectations of beginning a family. It is a very safe car ratings wise but it also provides a feeling of confidence. It is stable and feels planted to the gorund at all times. The interior is surprisingly roomy and comfortable. We fell in love with the heated seats; being in the south we didnt think they were necessary but man have we changed our minds. The only complaint we have is that occasionally we will bring friends along on a trip. If you have four adults and any substantial amount of cargo or luggage it starts to get a little cramped. Oh, one last thing. This thing drives great in low traction situations. Ours is Front Wheel Drive but I have driven it confidentally during ice storms and wintery conditions. It even went up a steep hill where several cars were stranded trying to go up. We even used it to drive down a muddy Georgia red clay road which if you have had experience with can be as bad or worse than ice."