2011 Volkswagen Routan

6.2

Based on 132 Ratings for the 2009 - 2014 models.

6.6/10
    6.4/10
    6.4/10
    6.8/10
    7.5/10
    7.5/10

worst vehicle I ever bought

By on Thursday, November 18, 2010

"This is the worst vehicle I've ever purchased including used cars. It does perform and drive well for a mini van and the motor and transmission seem to be OK, its very comfortable and well desgned on the interior. However, it just died while driving tonight and we drifted off the road and it started again. The drivers site window doesn't work. It's had many recalls and I've spent a lot of time at the dealership waiting for the repairs. The belts already squeak like a 10 year old car. The fuel economy is not good and the electronics in general seem to be faulty. I think that possibly the recalls may be linked to other issues we are having. The brakes wore out very quickly. The dealer is fixing all of it since it only has 25,000 miles on it but once that warranty runs out I'm afraid its going to cost us a fortune to keep running. If you are thinking about buying one of these be sure to search the web for reviews / recalls and comments. I do not reccomend this Crysler product. If you want a Volkswagon buy some other model and expect the typical German auto issues after about 80,000 miles."

The Volkswagen Routan is an excellent minivan

By on Saturday, April 4, 2009

"The Volkswagen Routan is our first minivan purchase and we are very happy with it so far. It drives nicely in town and on the highway. The cabin is quiet and roomy enough for 3 adults and 3 kids. All of the seats, including the third row are very comfortable. There is plenty of storage for luggage in the back and in the very roomy under the floor storage in the second row. Driver seat controls are well placed. The hard drive is great for copying songs, books on tape, etc and leaving all of the bulky cases at home. The entertainment system with two screens is great for allowing second and third row passengers to watch different movies at the same time. The driver can also listen to something different while the two movies are playing. I like the permanent middle console better than some of the folding kinds in the competitor minivans, as you can put things in them and not have to remove them each time you want to go to the back of the van. It is great for large families and a lot of fun to drive. I fell in love with it when I took it out for the test drive and have been very happy with it ever since I bought it. As far as I know, the Routan was designed and built with the help of Chrysler, so you will see a lot of similarities, which in my opinion is a good thing as the Town & Country is a well designed and popular minivan. I think the Routan feels like a better driving, more stylish Town & Country with unbelievable financing and warranty options from Volkswagen and the support of a very stable company."

Not your typical minivan!

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, great features w/o the price,"

Cons: "towing capacity"

"We have loved this van. As a man who drives it a lot, I love how it handles more like a semi-sports car than a loose town-car. I've heard some people say it's not as smooth riding but I don't know what they're talking about. It's got very responsive steering and an engine to back it up. We've made several long road trips in it and it travels well. We put about 20k miles a year on our vehicles and it has stood up to the wear and tear. In the VW, you get many of the "upgrades" but without the premium price. I personally like the sporty changes that VW put on the van. The spoiler, different nose, and interior designs are great. All the seats are VERY comfortable. The leather has been extremely durable and I would highly recommend it. There's also a lot of great extra storage space in the floor due to the design from Chrysler but without the stow-and-go seats. We have one with a dual entertainment system and wireless headphones. Our kids love it. If we wanted to, our kids can be watching 2 different movies on the headphones and we can listen to iPod or something up front on a long trip. It also has an AUX input by the rear row that you can plug a game console or iPod into and feed into speakers and/or video screen(s). The touchscreen entertainment system has been great. We love the built in hard drive for loading CD's onto it. We did have an issue with an engine valve spring but it was covered under the warranty. The VW dealership has a technician who is specially trained to work on the Routan. I did wish that it had a bit more towing capacity but even the other vans can't tow that much. One other thing, if you want to use the LATCH in the 3rd row, it will fit 2 car seats and not leave any room left for a third person. We've gone ahead and just used the seat belts and it hasn't been a problem. I would recommend this to anyone in a heartbeat."

Dressing up a Chrysler (badly)

By on Tuesday, October 6, 2009

"My wife and I bought a Routan six months ago and absolutely hate the car. The second we drove it off the lot it began rattling and breaking (interior and exterior plastic pieces popping off). The car is literally the worst car that I have ever owned. It is a bad job at dressing up a chrysler town and country. The hoods on all Routans are not aligned right and if you take a look at any one, one side rests higher than the other at the hinges....Volkswagen admits the flaw, but has no fix. I have put my knee through the back of the rear folding seat while it is down and I lean in to buckle my son in his carseat 3 separate times. Volkswagen admits the construction is weak, but refuses to fix the seat any more if it occurs. I am unable to put my children in the car now...for fear of breaking the car. It is a weak piece of junk that I wouldn't recommend to anybody for any reason. If you own one, I feel for you."

BIG PROBLEM!!

By on Friday, February 11, 2011

"This is the 2nd highest priced vehicle I purchased with the most problems of any. Front brakes at 13000 miles, front wheel bearings (both) at 15000 miles, rear brakes at 21000 miles, Back and forth to Dealer many times. lots of wasted time and miles!! Now I have corrosion on front edge of hood-not even 2 years old!! Spoke with VW Customer care many many times about problems and they like to say "I sorry" but really don't care! With all the problems, having hard time to get rid of-not worth what is owed on it. DO NOT BUY ONE !!!!!!!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volkswagen Routan near Honolulu. See local deals