2011 Volkswagen Routan

6.2

Based on 132 Ratings for the 2009 - 2014 models.

6.6/10
    6.4/10
    6.4/10
    6.8/10
    7.5/10
    7.5/10

Minivan for wife who refused to drive a minivan

By on Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pros: "Styling, fun to drive, rear-seat entertainment system"

Cons: "Last row great for kids, not so great for six-footers"

"Bought Routan after spotting one in a showroom and realizing it was essentially a restyled Chrysler Town and Country. My wife liked the latter, but she didn't want to be a minivan driver; convinced her to take a test ride and she was hooked by the more VW-esque styling and handling. Vehicle has had some recalls, but given the free service the first few years, not an issue, and not any more than a Chrysler from what others tell me. Also got a great price given VW hasn't moved as many of these as they had planned. All and all, we've been very satisfied with this vehicle and have recommended to others."

not a good van

By on Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Pros: "the body styling, entertainment system"

Cons: "mechanical (see above), bad in the snow"

"it was the first year so there were some kinks to work out. I expected VW to stand by their product and do the right thing when issues in the first year design came up. we had/have issues with one of the running lamps always being out, the brakes were too small for the weight of the van (went through 3 sets of brakes and only got the last ones for free after loud complaining I would have expected that since it was a known issue they would have realized and not make me buy brakes every couple of miles), tire pressure sensors rusted out and needed to be replace. for the tire pressure sensors the dealer was looking for $90 per wheel and then $180 to put them in...over $400! bought them on amazon and had the local tire guy install them without issue."

good but not great

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

"i bought this van new, within 6000 miles had a seal go out on the trans, but over all satisfied, rides great and handles like a sports car!"

Chrysler Remake without the benefits

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "No Stow"

"Approximately 1 month after buying, had to have the brake rotors turned to prevent vibration when braking. Had difficulty with sliding doors not closing until I got the factory rep involved. At 36,900 miles took it in for repair to right front strut. Out of warranty, so I took it to a garage that charges $30 less per hour. The vehicle rides great with lots of pep from the 4 liter engine. Missing the stow"

Very happy with my Routan

By on Wednesday, August 10, 2011

"Great value, great driving experience, excellent handling and performance"

2009 SE 29k miles

By on Monday, March 7, 2011

"I would have to say that the only complaint I have for this vehicle is that the MPG sucks for the 3.8L version. Expect about 13 MPG around town. Other than that I am pleased with the VW purchase. Awesome deals on these out there is what made me choose VW. I hope I do not have a lemon because I really do like the van."

Ok Van

By on Monday, March 7, 2011

"I looked at several minivans and overall i was excited about the Routan because it looked stylish for a minivan. Then after driving it for two years, the dvd cover sometimes wont open and DVDs get stuck, CDs skip, the driver window won't go all the way up, till i pull the button 5 or six times, squeals really loud. I don't like the seats, I have to hike my leg way up to get over the huge hump on the beveled seat. However I will say, the service we get is excellent. I would rate that a 10 if i could. I do like the dual rear entertainment, no problems there. I like the heated seats and the 8 way power driver's seat. I like how the shifter is on the dash and the storage is incredible. I might consider another volkswagen because they treat us so great!"

Love it!

By on Monday, February 15, 2010

"We have a 2009 Routan SE that currently has just shy of 18,000 miles on it. We also test drove an Odyseey, Sinnea, Quest, and T & C but felt we were getting the most for our money with the VW. We've not be disappointed! The interior is a little "plasticy." But all of the features are very simple to use--every thing from the DVD players to reconfiguring the seats is super easy! We have had none of the issues that others seem to complain about. The only problem we've had is a fuse, which controls the front power outles, blew. The dealer replaced it, at no charge of course, and we only spent about 20 minutes at the service department waiting; it was a minor thing and an easy fix. We've been very happy with the look and the handling of this van. Gas mileage is not great but is comparable to other mini-vans. We feel like this is a great vehicle and would recommend you put it on your list of vans to test drive!"

Worst purchase ever

By on Friday, July 29, 2016

Reason: LEMON of a car

Cons: "constantly breaking"

"Nothing but headaches with this car, spent way too much money on repairs. tons of electrical issues. Recal took forever to be corrected. replaced Starter, ignition, transmission, plugs and coils. WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS CAR TO ANYONE!"

Stay Away!

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Lots of great features for passengers"

Cons: "Bad brakes, uses oil, bad service at dealership"

"We were very pleased with the 2010 Routan when we first got it as it was $10,000 off the sticker price brand new from the dealership. That should have been our first warning! The car holds a lot and has lots of great features, but that is where the "pros" end. The car is very comfortable for everyone except the driver. We have taken it on many long road trips and I always feel like I have to fight with it. It drives more like a truck than a car. I loved my Sienna and this is definitely on the opposite side of the comfort spectrum. I guess some people may like this, but I feel it lends to driver fatigue. It is the only car I have ever driven where my foot actually falls asleep while driving! The car is very heavy, but does not do well in the snow of Western New York. I have gotten stuck a few times and needed to be pushed just to get up a small incline or hill. Not good for a family of skiers! Hoping that a better set of tires will help with that this year. Also, the transmission does seem to drop while accelerating. We have had the brakes fixed 3 times within 40K miles averaging about once a year since we have owned it. When the brakes go, they burn up smoking and getting incredibly hot! It is now beginning to use oil as well. I have had to add at least 2 quarts just to get to the next oil change. I was told this was "normal" usage. Never before have I had to use this much oil! It seems it was easier for VW to just stop making this vehicle than fix it!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volkswagen Routan near Honolulu. See local deals