2010 Volkswagen Routan

6.2

Based on 132 Ratings for the 2009 - 2014 models.

6.6/10
    6.4/10
    6.4/10
    6.8/10
    7.5/10
    7.5/10

I wish I never got this car!!

By on Thursday, September 10, 2009

"We bought our Routan SEL in January of 2009 and were very excited to get our first minivan and our first VW. Since then, here is the list of problems I have had: third-row seat completely broke and would not fold down (we got that replaced with a new one), our right side power door has broken and the door could not be used...twice (both time the mechanism had to be replaced), the power steering has been messed up since we got it (it is in the shop now) and the rear tail light went out (I know this is trivial, but it should not be going out in a brand new car..we replaced this ourselves). I have to say, this car has been a pain in the butt to own. I will never purchase a VW again. :("

Mostly it is amazing!!!

By on Thursday, February 9, 2012

Pros: "Love Just about everything!!!"

Cons: "BRAKES AND ROTORS!!! Replace them every 16,000 :("

"I love this car. A few issues that I wish I could change: 1) Hard for tall people to drive for long periods of time. My husband is 6'2 and gets uncomfortable driving after about an hour because the seat doesn't go back far enough. For me at 5'10 it is perfect. 2)Hard to get to the back seats (3rd row) when 2nd row seats are in place. The 2nd row seats do not move forward far enough to push them forward and crawl behind them and they sit too close to the front seats to move around the front of them. We have resorted to crawling through the back of the car to be able to get into the 3rd row, but then you can't have both parts of the 3rd row up and can't fill the back with stuff. 3) the BIGGEST ISSUE - the brakes and Rotors. We have had the car for less than 2 years. We have had both front and back rotors and brake pads replaced now 3 times. 1st - after 3 months of owning the car, 10 months later and now 7 months. Each time was approxametley 16,000 miles of wear and tear on the van. And Volkswagon is saying it's how we drive, must be because we drive up and down hills alot and use the brakes excessivley. We live in the desert with no hills around us for about 90 miles. This is not a problem with how I drive my car. Other than the brakes though, I can live with the other 2 complaints. They are more about convience. Brakes and Rotors every 16,000 that cost almost $400 each time....NOT OK!!!"

By on Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"We bought our Routan in March 09 and now are sorry we did. First of all we got about 9 thousand off because the dealership were trying to move as many as they could before the end of the month. In that we can't complain. When we picked it up the thermostat on dash was not working properly so we had to come back. The interior is great all the perks are very nice, the leather seats are comfortable. Not much leg room in second seats unless you pull the front up more. Love the rear powerdoor. Very handy with groceries or when its raining and you want to get things in quickly. Our biggest complaint is the gas mileage. We had a Sienna before which got about 16 city. That was bad enough. When we considered another van we knew we wouldn't get great mileage but we thought maybe 16 or a little better. No we get anywhere from 12 to 15 shocking for a VW. Too bad. This our first experience with VW and were looking forward to it but now we wish we had kept our Sienna. The change oil message has already come on at 2500miles even though they told us to change the oil every 6,000. Good thing VW has included this with the car."

WATCH OUT FOR COSTLY BRAKE PROBLEMS

By on Monday, August 13, 2012

Pros: "roomy"

Cons: "barkes to many recalls and problem at 25000 miles"

"i BOUGHT THIS CAR FOR MY WIFE IN 2010. Since then several to many recalls and problems with door shades and windows and by far the battery is finished!!!!. The most annoying thing is that we had our brakes and rotors changed for 3rd time at 24000 miles. they know it in the dealership that this is a huge problem. today they told me that they stopped making this car. my advise get a lawyer and you can return this lemon car back and get your money."

Sporty Ride and Pretty Efficient on Gas

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "Up to 30 mpg on Highway, Good Acceleration"

Cons: "Transmission, Water in Headlights, Center console"

"The VW Routan won't win car of the year, but compared to its Chrysler cousin it is Superior. The ride is comfortable yet firm and sporty enough to take corners at reasonable speeds without swaying about like most minivans. The interior styling is excellent and free of rattles and creaks, but the center console is short and unstable. Exterior styling is very good and pleasing to the eye unlike the box on wheels styling of the town and country. The engine provides great acceleration and very surprising fuel economy on minimal load. I can get up to 30 mpg on the highway driving like grandma or 25 mpg at 65 mph. Quality is as expected with Chrysler engineering. The headlights retain rain water and the brakes are already squealing at 2900 mile on the odometer. The Routan handles good in medium snow and ice with careful driving. And don't expect to get good gas mileage with a full load and luggage with any vehicle. The transmission needs fine tuning as thumps are quite evident with shifts especially using ECO mode in the city with stop n go traffic which produces no improvement in gas mileage. Eco mode does however help in highway driving mpg, but increases violent shifts when slowing down. The Routan is not a bad choice for a minivan, but if you want to avoid enormous depreciation, shop Honda or Toyota."

needs some work on transmission

By on Thursday, June 25, 2009

"i have had this van for about 6 weeks,and it is in the 11-12 mile range for gas mpg. the transmission on turns and stops slams in to gears. the seats has wings on the sides that feel hard on you bottom.if i had the choice i would get rid of this boat."

Best Car Ever

By on Saturday, April 23, 2016

Pros: "space and storage, good price, drives well"

"My family loves the VW brand. My first car was a beetle and my husband's was a jetta. We bought our Routan SEL Premium in 2014. It powerful and drives so well for a minivan. It is way more stylish than the Chrysler/Dodge. I love that there is no 2nd row stow-and-go because the seats are far more plush and large, also in the 1st and 3rd row. The power doors, tailgate, and 3rd row seats are especially helpful for my kids and my German Shepherd. We have never had any mechanical problems and gas mileage is a tiny bit above average. Car seats fit in easily and the nav/backup/radio is simple but thoughtful. I own all VW cars. We have a 2015 Touareg and 2011 Sportwagen. The dual dvd lets the kids watch something in the 2nd row and another thing in the 3rd row. (keeps them quite so we can listen to music :) ) I love the Routan and VW so much!"

VW Vorry Wagon

By on Saturday, July 23, 2011

Pros: "nice ride. comfortable seating"

Cons: "too many problems for a new car that the dealership cant or wont correct"

"The routan shut down at 50 miles, because the cam sensor went out. The wheel alignment was off to the right. The dealership told me, after bringing it in 2 days in a row, that this was normal as the wheel alignment registered good on their computer readings. VOlkswagon advocate supported dealership findings against my word. I was referred to a wheel alignment specialist who fixed the problem The engine mount needed to be adjusted as well as the casters, and he rotated the tires. The gas mileage is horrible. Getting about 13 mpg combined hwy and city. The volkswagon customer care is very polite but will back what their mechanics at dealserhship, whose computer readings had the car doing 15 mpg, which is stll low. The manufacture has it at 20. My question to all of you is, I have heard many mention that the Routan is a lemon. Has anyone been successful at actually using the lemon law to get rid of car?"

AVOID AT ALL COST!!!

By on Friday, September 30, 2011

"Here are the issues in the last 2 years and a half: Out of the blue, the car won't start, Elecrtic doors won't close, driver windowd won't work, ac blower failed, AC hose defective, stereo system (DVD, Satelite etc) DIED!, breaks make the car jumpy, rotors also defective... I have a 42 months lease and I am affraid to go pass the 36000 miles... I know I am going to have to pay fosomething my self... Called VW tech support and they stated "I am sorry Sir. but if we replace your parts we are doing our part". With this issues, the scheduled service and the recalls, the car won't get out of the shop.... AVOID AT ALL COST!"

Best Minivan on the Road

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Great family vehicle, roomy, spacious, quiet"

"I cannot say enough great things about this car. I've been excited by this car since our test drive two years ago and it still does not disappoint. Built for families but with a stylish flair, it is comfy and fun to drive. Besides, the complimentary services every 6,000 miles is amazing. Overall, I'd buy it again - and again."

Bad Choice by VW

By on Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pros: "it is still under warranty"

Cons: "VW cant fix our problems, no pickup on the highway"

"We have had this vehicle for over 18 months and since we drove it off the lot we have had nothing but problems. Our transmission shifts very hard and VW has been unable to fix the problem but they admit there is a problem. We had bad door seals and they molded and needed to be replaced. There have been over 10 service recalls on this vehicle meaning we needed to take it in to have it serviced. It is supposed to get over 20 MPG on the high way, we average about 17 and that is with only two people in the van. We love the features it offers but that is the extent of our happiness."

sel premium 4d

By on Sunday, March 27, 2011

"bought the car new. love it. very comfortable and have not had any problems. went on two long trips and the ride is great. gas mileage averaged about 23 highway. kids love the tv's can watch 2 different videos at the same time. we bought an extra set of headset. so much in this van still learning everything. looks like a keeper. we also added the tow package and running boards. makes the car standout. Hope to see you fellow VW fans on the road. Make sure you waive."

Great all around.

By on Friday, February 18, 2011

"We have enjoyed this van more than any car we have owned. It drives smooth and quiet. Within the first 3 weeks of owning we drove it from Salt Lake to Disneyland and back, with my wife and I and our high school and college aged children. We had a great time and found the ride very enjoyable. This van has all the options one could want. Couldn't ask for more."

Over Priced Dodge Caravan

By on Friday, February 18, 2011

"I bought my Routan back in July 2009. We got the Routan as an upgrade to a Jetta. BIG MISTAKE!!! The Routan is not a VW, it is a Crysler product badged as a VW. Quality fit and finish is inferior. The engine is underpowered, the transmission shifts as a 1949 Willys. Some of the options are nice, however sometines do not work as intended (ie Bluetooth, power windows, etc..). Now as for the re-sale value, horrible. If I wanted a Dodge I would have bought one and save $10,000. Now I'm stock with this for a few years. I'm hopping to get rid of it before the warranty expires."

Good For the Long Haul

By on Saturday, June 19, 2010

"This minivan does not even have another in its class. While the exterior design takes some getting used to, and there are some cheesy details from its cousin Town & Country to overcome (whip antenna, dashboard displays), every little road trip feels like First Class. The room is enough to haul furniture easily, take 7 people out to a ball game, make an 8 hour trip feel like a pleasant Sunday drive. The SEL delivers so much power and response, that you forget its a van. Its a pricey van, but after a few months of ownership you begin feeling your ROI. Highly recommended if you want a stylish, safe van that's easy to haul anyone or anything. It's the best of 2 worlds - the engine and powertrain from the Chrysler minivan inventors, and the handling and styling from Volkswagen. Just plan on keeping this vehicle for many years because you'll want to, and it seems build to last."

Do not buy this vehicle.

By on Monday, April 21, 2014

Pros: "DVD system"

Cons: "New pads every nine months, shoddy transmission"

"I bought this van because I have only ever driven VWs. This is not a VW, however, this is a Chrysler, a fact I found out later. Roters were replaced almost immediately, calipers bad almost immediately and I am now at the point where I have to replace pads at least once every ten months and the steering wheel violently shakes whenever the brake is pressed. On two separate occasions my brakes actually caught fire. Transmission jumps every time the car switches gears. I have had it just can't wait to get rid of it."

This vehicle is not worth the VW hype!

By on Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Pros: "roomy, floor storage, lots of cup holders"

Cons: "unreliable, expensive, gas hog, customer service"

"We bought this vehicle used with one previous owner. In the 2 years we have owned it the electrical system in the driver side sliding door slowly failed one piece at a time. Every time we took it in we were told there is nothing wrong with it. The door now no longer functions at all electronically. Not even the window works. Gas milage sucks. Tires have had a slow leak from day 1. Parts are rediculously expensive and heavan forbid you try to use a non-VW part. If you do, it won't work properly. Overall, I will never own one of these vehicles again and will probably just go back to my trusty Fords."

WOW BEST MPG .... I am SAVING $250 PLUS A MONTH

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pros: "WOW GREAT MPG"

Cons: "WISH I GOT THE SUNROOF"

"Almost 30 mpg Highway 25 avg. Better than the sticker says. I am not a hyper Miler either! The extra money in the pocket means alot..... Great handeling, tight; and the kids love the Captain Chairs. I DO NOT MISS MY "AWD VAN" WHICH WAS ALWAYS IN THE SHOP OR GAS STATION !!!!!!!!!"

Questionable for Name

By on Thursday, May 24, 2012

Pros: "Beautiful Car, Roomy"

Cons: "Brakes, Signal Lights, Eats Batteries"

"Not a fan of Chrysler and Chrysler is the manufacturer of the Volkswagen Routan. I think it would be a better car if they avoided Chrysler. My car is a 2009. I need over $1000 dollars in brake work. Replaced tires last November; this was $800. Working on my third battery. Need body repair on back passenger side panel. Almost like piece this was not connected properly or too loosely. About a year after purchase - car had to be towed to dealer. It just shut down while driving, could not remove key from ignition nor let the windows up."

had a number of engine light issues

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "rides ok"

Cons: "quality issues"

"The vehicle rides nicely, but is not necessarily reliable. The quality of this vehicle is not great. VW is not very competent to resolve issues with this vehicle since it is made by Chrysler. Overall it has been a disappoiting experience, and I do not recommend this vehicle!"

Big Mistake

By on Thursday, May 19, 2011

"Really like the looks of the Routan, but it has been a nightmare. In the shop all the time from day 5. Dont buy this car. buy the same version from chrysler cheaper and with better warranty. Bad Brakes, Lots of rattling in the car. this 40k car is louder to drive than my 10 year old honda"

Not what I expected

By on Tuesday, May 3, 2011

"I am disappointed in how many problems I have had with my Routan. It is only 1 and 1/2 years old and I have had it in for numerous things from the air conditioning going out to it leaking oil. Definitely would not recommend this van to my family or friends."

Needs alot of improvement

By on Friday, January 14, 2011

"I purchased the routan in may 2009 and since then I have had the van in the shop at least 10 times for brakes, rotors, seat stuffing falling out, glued on seat adjustment handles falling off, seat belt buckle replacements, seat cover replacements, with numerous recalls. I believe I have a lemon!"

The Best Minivan Out There!

By on Sunday, September 5, 2010

"After test-driving every minivan available today, this family of 4 couldn't be happier!! We're familiar with a smooth ride since we traded in our Volvo for the Routan; it drives just as well. All the little details VW added make this van worth every single hard-earned penny. The dealer incentive was $5K off, so we feel we got a smokin' hot deal. The Rear Entertainment System (RES) will be great for the long road trips we like to take."

By on Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"I never thought I'd drive a minivan, but this is a VW! I bought a 2010 SEL in January. Love it! it has everything you need and then some. I've sat in every seat in the van and have no complaints. Plenty of room for everyone plus all your shopping bags, strollers, etc."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volkswagen Routan near Honolulu. See local deals