2010 Volkswagen Routan

6.2

Based on 132 Ratings for the 2009 - 2014 models.

6.6/10
    6.4/10
    6.4/10
    6.8/10
    7.5/10
    7.5/10

not a good van

By on Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Pros: "the body styling, entertainment system"

Cons: "mechanical (see above), bad in the snow"

"it was the first year so there were some kinks to work out. I expected VW to stand by their product and do the right thing when issues in the first year design came up. we had/have issues with one of the running lamps always being out, the brakes were too small for the weight of the van (went through 3 sets of brakes and only got the last ones for free after loud complaining I would have expected that since it was a known issue they would have realized and not make me buy brakes every couple of miles), tire pressure sensors rusted out and needed to be replace. for the tire pressure sensors the dealer was looking for $90 per wheel and then $180 to put them in...over $400! bought them on amazon and had the local tire guy install them without issue."

Chrysler Remake without the benefits

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "No Stow"

"Approximately 1 month after buying, had to have the brake rotors turned to prevent vibration when braking. Had difficulty with sliding doors not closing until I got the factory rep involved. At 36,900 miles took it in for repair to right front strut. Out of warranty, so I took it to a garage that charges $30 less per hour. The vehicle rides great with lots of pep from the 4 liter engine. Missing the stow"

Minivan for wife who refused to drive a minivan

By on Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pros: "Styling, fun to drive, rear-seat entertainment system"

Cons: "Last row great for kids, not so great for six-footers"

"Bought Routan after spotting one in a showroom and realizing it was essentially a restyled Chrysler Town and Country. My wife liked the latter, but she didn't want to be a minivan driver; convinced her to take a test ride and she was hooked by the more VW-esque styling and handling. Vehicle has had some recalls, but given the free service the first few years, not an issue, and not any more than a Chrysler from what others tell me. Also got a great price given VW hasn't moved as many of these as they had planned. All and all, we've been very satisfied with this vehicle and have recommended to others."

Very happy with my Routan

By on Wednesday, August 10, 2011

"Great value, great driving experience, excellent handling and performance"

2009 SE 29k miles

By on Monday, March 7, 2011

"I would have to say that the only complaint I have for this vehicle is that the MPG sucks for the 3.8L version. Expect about 13 MPG around town. Other than that I am pleased with the VW purchase. Awesome deals on these out there is what made me choose VW. I hope I do not have a lemon because I really do like the van."

Ok Van

By on Monday, March 7, 2011

"I looked at several minivans and overall i was excited about the Routan because it looked stylish for a minivan. Then after driving it for two years, the dvd cover sometimes wont open and DVDs get stuck, CDs skip, the driver window won't go all the way up, till i pull the button 5 or six times, squeals really loud. I don't like the seats, I have to hike my leg way up to get over the huge hump on the beveled seat. However I will say, the service we get is excellent. I would rate that a 10 if i could. I do like the dual rear entertainment, no problems there. I like the heated seats and the 8 way power driver's seat. I like how the shifter is on the dash and the storage is incredible. I might consider another volkswagen because they treat us so great!"

Love it!

By on Monday, February 15, 2010

"We have a 2009 Routan SE that currently has just shy of 18,000 miles on it. We also test drove an Odyseey, Sinnea, Quest, and T & C but felt we were getting the most for our money with the VW. We've not be disappointed! The interior is a little "plasticy." But all of the features are very simple to use--every thing from the DVD players to reconfiguring the seats is super easy! We have had none of the issues that others seem to complain about. The only problem we've had is a fuse, which controls the front power outles, blew. The dealer replaced it, at no charge of course, and we only spent about 20 minutes at the service department waiting; it was a minor thing and an easy fix. We've been very happy with the look and the handling of this van. Gas mileage is not great but is comparable to other mini-vans. We feel like this is a great vehicle and would recommend you put it on your list of vans to test drive!"

Stay Away!

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Lots of great features for passengers"

Cons: "Bad brakes, uses oil, bad service at dealership"

"We were very pleased with the 2010 Routan when we first got it as it was $10,000 off the sticker price brand new from the dealership. That should have been our first warning! The car holds a lot and has lots of great features, but that is where the "pros" end. The car is very comfortable for everyone except the driver. We have taken it on many long road trips and I always feel like I have to fight with it. It drives more like a truck than a car. I loved my Sienna and this is definitely on the opposite side of the comfort spectrum. I guess some people may like this, but I feel it lends to driver fatigue. It is the only car I have ever driven where my foot actually falls asleep while driving! The car is very heavy, but does not do well in the snow of Western New York. I have gotten stuck a few times and needed to be pushed just to get up a small incline or hill. Not good for a family of skiers! Hoping that a better set of tires will help with that this year. Also, the transmission does seem to drop while accelerating. We have had the brakes fixed 3 times within 40K miles averaging about once a year since we have owned it. When the brakes go, they burn up smoking and getting incredibly hot! It is now beginning to use oil as well. I have had to add at least 2 quarts just to get to the next oil change. I was told this was "normal" usage. Never before have I had to use this much oil! It seems it was easier for VW to just stop making this vehicle than fix it!"

LOVE our car

By on Saturday, August 10, 2013

Pros: "can fit tons of stuff in it"

Cons: "middle seats not on tracks and cost"

"We bought our Routan used and we still love it. It accommodates all 4 of children and is wonderful during 14 hour road trips. If I had to pick one flaw that we work around is that the middle seats aren't adjustable (on tracks) as far as for leg room. Other than that it gets great gas mileage and its a living room on wheels. Tons of room! awesome car just wish it was a little cheaper."

good but not great

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

"i bought this van new, within 6000 miles had a seal go out on the trans, but over all satisfied, rides great and handles like a sports car!"

Do not recommend this car.

By on Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pros: "The price was good for all the item it included"

Cons: "Not reliable"

"More than 10 recalls, leaks form the sunroof, battery doesn't last, the paint in the doorknobs is peeling off! the lights on the dashboard turn on and off whenever they want making it too often a visit to the dealer to fix that. Also problem with the starring system."

Awesome drive.

By on Thursday, November 24, 2011

Pros: "Everything about the vehicle is a pro."

Cons: "Haven't found any yet."

"I have never been one to dig the minivan concept, however, when my wife talked me into just looking at them, after the test-drive I was sold. Very smooth ride and we have enjoyed it ever since. I am not much of one to take the back seat on any ride, but I wouldn't mind this ride anytime in the back seat. Two dvd screens for viewing two movies at the same time. Very quiet ride. If I didn't have this now, I would even consider purchasing a used one just like it because I am that sold on the vehicle. I am more of a Ford man myself, but next in line for me after Ford is now the VW. Great vehicles and great service through the dealership. After two weeks of owning the van we drove down to Disneyland. Great drive and couldn't ask for anything more. Heated seats, leather, very quiet ride. Many times I wonder if the engine is still running if stopped because it is that quiet. Would highly recommend the Routan to anyone looking for a mini van, and if you're not, you should look at this ride over an SUV. Cost on gas is much lower and the ride is AWESOME. Both daughters have actually bought VW's since we bought this van, just because that is how impressed we are with the quality. I should have been purchasing VW's years ago."

Solid Vehicle

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "Good on the road, steering and suspension excellen"

Cons: "Low gas mileage a little low compared to other mvs"

"For a base model (S), it has everything necessary as your standard grocery getter but the ride and handling is the best I've had in any minivan (Kia, older Voyager, older Toyota). Pretty spartan but hasn't fallen to pieces and doesn't make weird noises like the Kia or older model Voyagers did."

Awesome

By on Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable, RSE, Euro Feel inside and when driving."

Cons: "Front Cup holder is cheap looking"

"Not sure why some complain about this "Minivan". First and Foremost it does not look cheap inside like it's cousin the Town and Country. Very European Inside. It handles like a European Car also. We test drove ever Minivan on the Market. This one was the best overall valve and is fun to drive too, the seats are very comfortable. It is fast for a minivan."

Paying for a car that is in the shop .....

By on Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pros: "Great price"

Cons: "Been in the shop way too long for a NEW car!"

"I had a Toyota Sienna for 9 years which was so comfortable and reliable. We decided to try Volkswagen as we got a great deal and we loved the no-nonsense sales people. Within a few weeks the engine light would come on. Then the skid indicator. The car was in the shop for 2 days and came back with the same problems. It has now been in for another 10 days and they are waiting on a part that could take between 2-4 weeks to arrive from Germany. In the meantime they rented a Ford Escape for me from Avis. It was nice of them, but I am making monthly payments for a minivan. Very frustrating as I need the space! I have also had a problem with the bluetooth audio streaming. After Volkswagen spent a few day trying to fix it, they consulted with the Town and Country guys - it works as designed. You cannot use the bluetooth audio streaming unless your phone screen is in power saving mode - does not help for rewinding and fastforwarding - makes audibook listening horribly frustrating!"

Top Notch

By on Monday, May 3, 2010

"Love the Routan since the day we test drove it, handles great. First and foremost my wife, the main driver, loves it."

Love it!

By on Thursday, June 4, 2009

"The features available were a definite selling point and my children love the dual screens & dual CD capability. Storage is great with the in the floor storage and the rear area. What really sold us was the way the vehicle handled while driving. It didn't handle like a "truck" but took the corners more like a sedan...very nice. Definitely would recommend!"

Better Tan a T&C

By on Friday, June 12, 2009

"I have had the Routan for a short while and from what I can tell people who own them (like me) really seem to like what the Routan has to offer. The price is right and I got mine about 3 grand less that the T&C with the same equipment. The Routan drives great and best of all looks good. I don't feel like I own a box or the same van everyone else has( H and T). As for quality -- who knows? It may last forever --- plus I have a 100K mile bumper to bumper warranty on it just in case. (cost me nearly nothing to add) I've known plenty of H or T owners who have had nothing but problems!"

Please Buy My Vehciel!

By on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pros: "Looks nice"

Cons: "alot"

"I bought this van back in 2009 because I am a tech at the VW dealer and so I get a discount. I thought at the time since its a re badged Chrysler product that I could have a VW that is actually reliable. This is a far from reliable vehicle. I have replaced the transmission and brakes as well as had several electrical issues. I am now noticing that it is leaking oil from the timing chain cover. My recommendation is for anyone that buys a VW product is to have it inspected by another shop other then the Vw dealership before the warranty exspires. This is because according to VW of America we are not aloud to notify the customer of any issues with there vehicle until it is out of warranty, but if the customer mentions an issue then we can a dress it."

worst vehicle I ever bought

By on Thursday, November 18, 2010

"This is the worst vehicle I've ever purchased including used cars. It does perform and drive well for a mini van and the motor and transmission seem to be OK, its very comfortable and well desgned on the interior. However, it just died while driving tonight and we drifted off the road and it started again. The drivers site window doesn't work. It's had many recalls and I've spent a lot of time at the dealership waiting for the repairs. The belts already squeak like a 10 year old car. The fuel economy is not good and the electronics in general seem to be faulty. I think that possibly the recalls may be linked to other issues we are having. The brakes wore out very quickly. The dealer is fixing all of it since it only has 25,000 miles on it but once that warranty runs out I'm afraid its going to cost us a fortune to keep running. If you are thinking about buying one of these be sure to search the web for reviews / recalls and comments. I do not reccomend this Crysler product. If you want a Volkswagon buy some other model and expect the typical German auto issues after about 80,000 miles."

Not your typical minivan!

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, great features w/o the price,"

Cons: "towing capacity"

"We have loved this van. As a man who drives it a lot, I love how it handles more like a semi-sports car than a loose town-car. I've heard some people say it's not as smooth riding but I don't know what they're talking about. It's got very responsive steering and an engine to back it up. We've made several long road trips in it and it travels well. We put about 20k miles a year on our vehicles and it has stood up to the wear and tear. In the VW, you get many of the "upgrades" but without the premium price. I personally like the sporty changes that VW put on the van. The spoiler, different nose, and interior designs are great. All the seats are VERY comfortable. The leather has been extremely durable and I would highly recommend it. There's also a lot of great extra storage space in the floor due to the design from Chrysler but without the stow-and-go seats. We have one with a dual entertainment system and wireless headphones. Our kids love it. If we wanted to, our kids can be watching 2 different movies on the headphones and we can listen to iPod or something up front on a long trip. It also has an AUX input by the rear row that you can plug a game console or iPod into and feed into speakers and/or video screen(s). The touchscreen entertainment system has been great. We love the built in hard drive for loading CD's onto it. We did have an issue with an engine valve spring but it was covered under the warranty. The VW dealership has a technician who is specially trained to work on the Routan. I did wish that it had a bit more towing capacity but even the other vans can't tow that much. One other thing, if you want to use the LATCH in the 3rd row, it will fit 2 car seats and not leave any room left for a third person. We've gone ahead and just used the seat belts and it hasn't been a problem. I would recommend this to anyone in a heartbeat."

Dressing up a Chrysler (badly)

By on Tuesday, October 6, 2009

"My wife and I bought a Routan six months ago and absolutely hate the car. The second we drove it off the lot it began rattling and breaking (interior and exterior plastic pieces popping off). The car is literally the worst car that I have ever owned. It is a bad job at dressing up a chrysler town and country. The hoods on all Routans are not aligned right and if you take a look at any one, one side rests higher than the other at the hinges....Volkswagen admits the flaw, but has no fix. I have put my knee through the back of the rear folding seat while it is down and I lean in to buckle my son in his carseat 3 separate times. Volkswagen admits the construction is weak, but refuses to fix the seat any more if it occurs. I am unable to put my children in the car now...for fear of breaking the car. It is a weak piece of junk that I wouldn't recommend to anybody for any reason. If you own one, I feel for you."

The Volkswagen Routan is an excellent minivan

By on Saturday, April 4, 2009

"The Volkswagen Routan is our first minivan purchase and we are very happy with it so far. It drives nicely in town and on the highway. The cabin is quiet and roomy enough for 3 adults and 3 kids. All of the seats, including the third row are very comfortable. There is plenty of storage for luggage in the back and in the very roomy under the floor storage in the second row. Driver seat controls are well placed. The hard drive is great for copying songs, books on tape, etc and leaving all of the bulky cases at home. The entertainment system with two screens is great for allowing second and third row passengers to watch different movies at the same time. The driver can also listen to something different while the two movies are playing. I like the permanent middle console better than some of the folding kinds in the competitor minivans, as you can put things in them and not have to remove them each time you want to go to the back of the van. It is great for large families and a lot of fun to drive. I fell in love with it when I took it out for the test drive and have been very happy with it ever since I bought it. As far as I know, the Routan was designed and built with the help of Chrysler, so you will see a lot of similarities, which in my opinion is a good thing as the Town & Country is a well designed and popular minivan. I think the Routan feels like a better driving, more stylish Town & Country with unbelievable financing and warranty options from Volkswagen and the support of a very stable company."

BIG PROBLEM!!

By on Friday, February 11, 2011

"This is the 2nd highest priced vehicle I purchased with the most problems of any. Front brakes at 13000 miles, front wheel bearings (both) at 15000 miles, rear brakes at 21000 miles, Back and forth to Dealer many times. lots of wasted time and miles!! Now I have corrosion on front edge of hood-not even 2 years old!! Spoke with VW Customer care many many times about problems and they like to say "I sorry" but really don't care! With all the problems, having hard time to get rid of-not worth what is owed on it. DO NOT BUY ONE !!!!!!!"

I wish I never got this car!!

By on Thursday, September 10, 2009

"We bought our Routan SEL in January of 2009 and were very excited to get our first minivan and our first VW. Since then, here is the list of problems I have had: third-row seat completely broke and would not fold down (we got that replaced with a new one), our right side power door has broken and the door could not be used...twice (both time the mechanism had to be replaced), the power steering has been messed up since we got it (it is in the shop now) and the rear tail light went out (I know this is trivial, but it should not be going out in a brand new car..we replaced this ourselves). I have to say, this car has been a pain in the butt to own. I will never purchase a VW again. :("

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volkswagen Routan near Honolulu. See local deals