2012 Volkswagen Passat

Based on 206 Ratings for the 2012 - 2018 models.

Best car I have ever owned

By on Sunday, May 8, 2016

Pros: "Workmanship, fuel mileage, interior design&room."

Cons: "Carpet, sun visors,"

"Bought new in Sep of 2013. Came down to this TDI or a Honda Accord. Drove both, and evaluated both for over a mouth. We have 4 Hondas in the immediate family which I service, combined over 600,000 miles. Nothing but good to say about Hondas. My Son-I-L, who is quite a car guru, suggested we consider a Passat CC. At the dealership the young salesman almost insisted we drive a Passat Diesel. Having owned an Olds Diesel back in 1979, I had no desire to consider a diesel of any nameplate. Did not like the CC, so we drove the TDI-SE. Loved the car. Large interior, large trunk, plenty pep in the normal driving range. And 40+ mpg. After much reading and comparing, and re-driving the Honda, we bought the Passat TDI-SEL Premium. After 67,000 miles I am still in love with this TDI-SEL. Yes, it has issues..small ones compared to all the major assets. The carpeting is cheap. The GPS/Entertainment system is slow. But I like the way the entertainment system integrates the different functions...very user friendly, but slow. This is overshadowed by superior workmanship and drive-ability. What is not to like about 45mpg overall average ! Makes you want to go for a drive, which is what I think I will do right now."

Good looking, comfortable & reliable

By on Thursday, June 5, 2014

Pros: "Handsome car, great price"

Cons: "slight window noise passenger side"

"Only 1 slight issue: in very windy conditions there is some window noise on the front passenger side. Still, best car I ever owned."

All about personal tastes.

By on Sunday, March 2, 2014

Pros: "You have to drive a Passat TDI to understand."

Cons: "You either love or hate a diesel."

"We own three 2013 Passats. Two SE with manual transmissions and one SEL Premium with the DSG. All diesels. Build quality on all is well above the norm. Styling is a sort of Teutonic understated elegance differing considerably from the competition. Some like it and others don't. Totally subjective. The TDI? While diesel fuel costs more per gallon, the per mile cost is still less than the gasoline editions. Further, the diesel's forte is the open road. No annoying downshifts and range beyond belief. Comfort levels being very good on either the SE or SEL. Just more toys on the SEL. I almost forgot upfront costs... There's a considerable premium exacted for the TDI. Quite often we overlook the fact that a good portion of this cost will be returned when the car is sold or traded. The TDI makes a huge difference in value between it and its non-TDI siblings."

Great car understated elegance Passat SE

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "Great Value, Strong German Design Quality"

Cons: "None so Far Love the VW Passat"

"A New German Car for under 28,000? Car is elegant with excellent fit and finish. Really enjoys the handling and the way it handles corners. Is nimble and although it is rather large feels like a tighter/smaller car the way it performs. This is my first VW and will not be my last. Has the lines of an Audi A6 and it is getting nearly 30 m.p.g. I have own 3 Accords and this car rides much quieter and is more responsive."

The best vehicle I have ever owned (TDI-DSG)

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "Quiet, competent, very economical, fun to drive."

Cons: "No station wagon or 4 wheel drive."

"The TDI version of this car is amazing! It accedes the EPA ratings for mileage without even trying. It is extremely quiet and has a very supple ride. The interior room is in a class by itself. I have had zero problems with the car and the dealer is one of the best I have encountered. Try it, you'll really like it!"