2012 Volkswagen Passat

Based on 203 Ratings for the 2012 - 2017 models.

2013 TDI SEL, great car

By on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pros: "ride, mpgs, kessey, seating, trunk space"

Cons: "not able to disable stability control"

"I've had the 2013 TDI SEL for 3 months and 3000 miles. The only real negatives I can find fault with at the price point of $33k is the inability to turn off the various stability control nannies and that chains are not recommended due to clearance issues between the strut assembly and the inside of the wheel. The engine has tons of torque from 1200 t0 2800 rpms. This is extrememly useable torque that provides snappy acceleration in the speed bands that are most usually driven. The keyless Kessy system is a joy. The ride quality is exceptional, and interior noise is extremely low, especially at crusing speeds. Seating is very supportive and comfortable. The Fender stereo is better than average, but certainly no Wow factor with it. The radio navigation system takes a bit of getting used to, but I find I can live with it without getting too annoyed. Ride quality on America's decaying road system was a main consideration when purchasing the car, and even though I don't put many miles on the car per year, one thing for sure and certain is fuel costs are not going to go down, and if I keep this car for the decade or so I usually keep a car, I can only shudder at what the price of fuel will be in 10 years. I'm getting mid 30s around small town driving on secondary roads and in the low 40s during freeway driving. Headlights on high were exactly perfect for me, as I really dislike HID projection beams with their driving in a pipe style light cutoffs. The low beams were not adequate for secondary road driving and I replaced them with higher wattage bulbs which solved the problem. At the price point of the top end of the Passat line, one is looking at the low end of the Mercedes and BMWs, and other than prestige of name, the Passat is a hands down better value, and even according to Automobile magazine, the ride on the Passat is of higher quality than the BMW 3 series diesel. Full sized spare tire and fold down back seats are major pluses too. Dashboard is nicely laid out without too much clutter and good visibility of the instrument cluster. Bluetooth phone interface is very good. The regen system for self cleaning of diesel soot is something that VW should have a dashboard monitoring of, but I guess they are worried it will confuse drivers. I really could not be much happier with the Passat. Sure cars that cost 50% more have nicer interiors, but none of them get better MPGs on the Freeway. Lastly, if you are looking for a car for urban driving and rare trips to the countryside or freeway, the Passat TDI is not your best choice, probably a Toyota Hybrid would be better due to the regeneration braking systems,and the fact that the Passat TDI would rarely achive obtimum engine/driving temperature, which is very important for diesels."

Best car I have ever owned

By on Sunday, May 8, 2016

Pros: "Workmanship, fuel mileage, interior design&room."

Cons: "Carpet, sun visors,"

"Bought new in Sep of 2013. Came down to this TDI or a Honda Accord. Drove both, and evaluated both for over a mouth. We have 4 Hondas in the immediate family which I service, combined over 600,000 miles. Nothing but good to say about Hondas. My Son-I-L, who is quite a car guru, suggested we consider a Passat CC. At the dealership the young salesman almost insisted we drive a Passat Diesel. Having owned an Olds Diesel back in 1979, I had no desire to consider a diesel of any nameplate. Did not like the CC, so we drove the TDI-SE. Loved the car. Large interior, large trunk, plenty pep in the normal driving range. And 40+ mpg. After much reading and comparing, and re-driving the Honda, we bought the Passat TDI-SEL Premium. After 67,000 miles I am still in love with this TDI-SEL. Yes, it has issues..small ones compared to all the major assets. The carpeting is cheap. The GPS/Entertainment system is slow. But I like the way the entertainment system integrates the different functions...very user friendly, but slow. This is overshadowed by superior workmanship and drive-ability. What is not to like about 45mpg overall average ! Makes you want to go for a drive, which is what I think I will do right now."

Best Passat Yet and American

By on Friday, July 8, 2016

Pros: "Fit, finish, mpg, ride, handling, quiet,"

Cons: "Dieselgate"

"This is my second Passat a TDI. My first was a 2003 6 cylinder. This is also my 5th VW. Had a 09 Jetta TDI, 03 Jetta diesel, and 2002 Bug. I like the handling and build of VW's. I do a lot of driving and all have been great road cars. My 2015 Passat SE TDI is the best yet and made in America right in my home state. This car has great road manners, fit and finish is the best. I drove this car from Tucson to Cookeville packed to the gills and still got 50 mpg. Love the backup camera all cars need this. The car is so quiet on the road. The transmission and engine are a perfect match. I drive it mostly in the economy mode. It's no slug and I still get great mpg. This car is not boring like a Camry or Accord and its not a BMW but then I didn't pay for a BMW either. I've had an issue with the check engine light. The fault says too much oxygen, probably part of the EPA issues. Now I wait and see what or if there is a fix and what it will do to the economy and performance."

Good looking, comfortable & reliable

By on Thursday, June 5, 2014

Pros: "Handsome car, great price"

Cons: "slight window noise passenger side"

"Only 1 slight issue: in very windy conditions there is some window noise on the front passenger side. Still, best car I ever owned."

All about personal tastes.

By on Sunday, March 2, 2014

Pros: "You have to drive a Passat TDI to understand."

Cons: "You either love or hate a diesel."

"We own three 2013 Passats. Two SE with manual transmissions and one SEL Premium with the DSG. All diesels. Build quality on all is well above the norm. Styling is a sort of Teutonic understated elegance differing considerably from the competition. Some like it and others don't. Totally subjective. The TDI? While diesel fuel costs more per gallon, the per mile cost is still less than the gasoline editions. Further, the diesel's forte is the open road. No annoying downshifts and range beyond belief. Comfort levels being very good on either the SE or SEL. Just more toys on the SEL. I almost forgot upfront costs... There's a considerable premium exacted for the TDI. Quite often we overlook the fact that a good portion of this cost will be returned when the car is sold or traded. The TDI makes a huge difference in value between it and its non-TDI siblings."