2012 Volkswagen Passat

Based on 203 Ratings for the 2012 - 2017 models.

Love my Car!

By on Wednesday, May 17, 2017

"There are no words for how much I love my Passat! There are only 2 negative aspects: 1) my 2003 had a rain sensor that would adjust the wiper speed which is not on my 2014 2) there is a lot of road noise when on the interstate in particular. Aside from that, it is an absolute treat to get in my car at the end of a long day and head home. Its not the destination but the journey I enjoy."

Great car. The diesel is a beast.

By on Thursday, June 5, 2014

Pros: "50-56 mpg on the highway."

Cons: "The stick shift needs to get better."

"Great car, reminds me of an old supercharged Buick I had rented at LAX in the mid 90's; the ride is so supple and noise free. 90-100 mph across West Texas last trip. Felt like I was back on the autobahn which I have driven many times before. Too many pluses, try it and buy it."

Too much fun!!!

By on Thursday, November 21, 2013

Pros: "Well thought out features, big trunk, great value!"

Cons: "None. Wish I could spend more time driving!"

"Can't believe how well laid out this car is. Everything is exactly within reach and easy to operate. Love the Bluetooth so I can stream my music while I drive and I can control the radio and answer the phone with controls mounted on the steering wheel. The trunk is so big that I don't have to use the seats and floor inside the car like I used to with my old car when I bought groceries. This baby can hold a lot of stuff! The seats and interior are so comfortable it feels like they belong in a more expensive luxury car. I can't believe how luxurious this car is for such a great price. Definitely a great value for the price. The engine provides more than enough power and doesn't feel like it's just 2.5 liters. It's not sluggish like other cars I've drove in the past with small engines. The exterior is also very well designed and attractive for a midsize family sedan. Who says you can't be sporty when you have four doors? I love, love, love everything about this car! I just wish I had discovered VW a long time ago!"

2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Automatic: 7k mile

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Cons: "CONS: I wish the computer graphics were a little"

"My search began for a full efficient vehicle back in September of 2013. Although the main requirement was that the new vehicle be fuel efficient, I also needed it to be comfortable and full of modern conveniences, mainly because my daily work commute is 150 miles, round-trip, and if I’m going to spend that much of time in a car, it needs to be a pleasure. --RESEARCH: I researched and test drove many vehicles, including Ford Fusion Hybrid, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, Lexus Hybrids, Honda Hybrids and even some fuel efficient Buicks. I considered that if I was going to get a car that had great gas mileage, then the sticker price had also better make sense. I didn’t want to pay an extra $8k for a car that would save me only $2k in fuel costs. So, it had to make sense base upon sticker price, residual value and fuel economy. The Passat came out ahead because the car was less expensive than the others (even loaded), and had an acceptable high fuel economy. Although, I did have to factor in that it uses Diesel, which is generally about 60cents more per gallon. Nonetheless, after crunching the numbers of sticker price vs. residual value, and adding in all fuel costs, the Passat was the winner. I went with almost every option that the Passat had, including GPS, leather, sunroof, satellite radio, etc. ---TEST DRIVE: When I test drove the Passat for the first time, the tings that caught my attention were the quick and “punchy” drivability and spacious interior and trunk. I had only seriously considered Hybrid cars until this, so I was growing accustomed to the not-so-sporty feel of a hybrid. The Passat turbo diesel felt like a sports car. ---FUEL ECONOMY: I have about 7K miles on my Passat after three months. I track all my fuel ups with an iPhone app, and I watch my mileage closely while traveling. I’ve had 13 fill ups so far, and my average mileage has been right about 40MPG. I travel about 80% on highways, ranging in speeds of stop-n-go-traffic to 81MPH. I sometimes will get much higher MPG, such as the low 50’s, if it’s a nice mild, weather day. So far, I’ve driven the car only in the Winter, so I haven’t seen how it performs in the warm or hot temperatures. I will say that I generally see an MPG of about 36-38MPG for the first 15-20 miles of my trips on the highway, but then I see the numbers rise as the trip gets longer…such as 53MPG. I get better fuel economy when I drive without the cruise, and when I stay below 77MPH. Overall, I think it’s fair to expect 40MPG, overall. ---DIESEL: I had no idea what a pain in the back end that it was to get Diesel for a car. Most gas stations do not carry it. It seems to be at about 30-40% of the stations. I have finally made myself a mental list of all the places in my area that carry it, so I know where to go. But, be warned, for some unknown reason, the fuel pump handles always seem to be much dirtier than the regular has handles. Therefore, I have began keeping a towel in may car truck that I use for handling the gas handle. It keeps me from smelling like Diesel all day. But, it’s all worth it to have the PUNCH that diesel provides. ---BEHIND THE WHEEL: I love the drive of the TDI Passat. In fact, I find myself anxious to drive it to work. It’s much sportier than anything I’ve ever owned. I easily accelerate past anyone on the highway or at a traffic light, without even trying. In fact, when I first began driving the car, I had somewhat teach myself some restraint, because it was just to easy to exert the power. This is NOT a sports car, however. It does extremely well in straight lines, but doesn’t handle sharp corners/turns with grace. ---SPACE: This car has more space than anyone could want. It’s surely the roomiest car that I’ve owned. The backseat is the size of many New York apartments (kidding…a bit). The truck is amazingly huge. There’s even a handy storage compartment to the left of the driver, which is great for holding my keys, wallet, etc. Not to mention a center consoler storage bin, a front console storage bin and a glove box. Oh, and the map/trash bins on the side of the doors, which also double as #3 and #4 front seat cup holders. The backseat has storage in the center pull down armrest, as well as two cup holders, and pockets on the back of the seats. ---GPS: The GPS was also a fairly important part of picking a car to me. However, I didn’t truly appreciate this cars GPS until using it for a while. The GPS is very user-friendly and quick. I was disappointed to see that it didn’t have voice recognition input, but once I began using the input screens, I realized that inputting was much faster on the Passat, than speaking on the others. I very much like the ability to input the name of a business that I’m searching for, and it gives me several options to choose from. Then, with a push a button, I can set the destination to this business, or I can even place a call to them…perhaps to reserve a table, or to check their hours of operations. Very handy! The screen is also a touch screen, so you can move around the map if you want. You can even press the rocket button, and zoom out to see birds-eye view of your entire route. Oh, and if you get stuck in a traffic jam, there’s a button to press to suggest a quick route out of the jam, and onto nearby routes. Really the best GPS that I’ve used. ---STEREO: Well, let me tell you, the Fender system rocks the house. Hands down the best audio system that I’ve heard in a car. The sound is clean, crisp and truly envelopes the listener. When I first hear music over the system, I thought a few times that was hearing a new mix of an old, familiar song, but it wasn’t. Instead, the system just makes the music sound better, and you hear more notes. I generally listen to Sirius XM (you can program 24 pre-sets on the Passat...Wow). But, it also has a hard drive, CD player, Bluetooth and SD Card reader. I can set tags/alerts on Sirius to let me know when any of my favorite songs are about to be played. Super nice. CONS: I wish the computer graphics were a little more updated and crisp, especially for the instrument cluster. Honestly, I like the body style of the CC better than the Passat. If they made a TDI CC, then I might just switch. I feel that the leather appointments are fairly scarce, and the plastic seems a little cheap. I wish they would equip these cars with a full size tire in the trunk instead of the donut. There is too long of a delay between starting the car and the rearview camera coming on. I wish the car had backup sensors. ---BOTTOM LINE: If I had to do it all over again, I would still buy the Passat without hesitation. The fuel economy is great, the drive is awesome, the entertainment is superior, the GPS is the best and it’s very, very spacious. I just hope the next generation has a more modern, sexy look."

Phenomenal Vehicle

By on Saturday, June 9, 2012

Pros: "Fuel economy, smooth operation, diesel operation"

Cons: "Traction on wet pavement or snow (compared to Audi"

"I owned an Audi A6 and intended to purchase another Audi. Howevever, when I went to the Audi/VW dealership and test drove the Passat TDI SEL I could not find a reason to spend twice the price for an A6 and not get the diesel advantage. Economy, handling and performance has been exceptional. The most significant difference was the lack of the Quattro AWD. Acceleration on wet or slippery pavement was outstanding in the A6 Quattro."

One of the best new vehicle experiences ever

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pros: "Value, features, Fuel economy, cost of ownership"

Cons: "Voice activated Navigation would be nice"

"I recent changed jobs and had to quickly aquire a car. since I would be losing my company supplied vehicle. I wanted a comfortable car that would get good fuel mileage. I was still afraid of the technology and potential cost associated with the potentia maintence of the various hybrid being offered. Battery replacement costs really scares me I have had previous experiece with Diesel powered engines in a Ford truck, (btw I would not reccomend a Ford 2004 f-350 but that is a seperate story) so I decided to investigate diesel power vehicles. Well there were not a lot of diesle powered options in the USA. So I focussed on VW. Well I am so glad I did!! I ended up purchasing the new 2012 VW Passat TDI which by the way is now made in USA. This car has been flawless since I received it in April. Quality and fit is excpetional, features, and options are more than reuired and operate perfectly. Mileage has been better than expected. After 3 month I now have 9200 Miles on this vehicle and I am averaging 30 miles per gallon in basic travel and close to 50 MPG when on road trips that consist mostly of highway driving. The car has plenty of perfomance and the TDI engine has great performance. No this car will not win any races but there is more than enough power to get around town and merge on a freeway. Check this care out it is awesome."

Arguably the best sedan I've driven

By on Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Pros: "Economy, comfort and confidence in ownership"

Cons: "Later models introduced a few more gadgets"

"I have never been more comfortable with recommending a car to friends and family than with the VW Passat TDI. Granted that VW is not going to win any awards for the exterior styling, it is a style that is not likely to be dated soon. The interior of the car is exceedingly comfortable and room. Back seat passengers have ample head and leg room (and I'm somewhat tall and have the drivers seat all the way back). The stereo sounds very good for factory, connects and streams from your phone, has SD card slot for MP3s, and navigating through the menus is intuitive. Storage of luggage is no issue with the cavernous amount of trunk space provided. The TDI may seem anemic when looking at BHP ratings, however the copious amount of torque mated with the DSG transmission keeps the vehicle peppy. I have had no issues with a lack of acceleration. The handling and comfort of the suspension are identical to the Audi A4 when driving one right after the other. Shifts with this transmission are unnoticeable in comfort/drive and sharp and crisp in sport mode. The fuel economy ratings provided by the EPA are way low compared to what I generally get. On my urban and suburban area drive to work I average 45MPG and on the highway or rural areas I see an average of 50MPG. I have seen mileage as high as 56.2MPG on a trip averaging 60mph. The care free maintenance for the first 3 years seriously reduces the cost of ownership, providing free routine service and oil changes (which the car does a good job of reminding you of) for the first 3 years of ownership. I have had no mechanical, electrical or any other issues with this vehicle and feel very confident recommending this vehicle to anyone."

Comfortable, Beautiful, Reliable, and Intuitive

By on Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pros: "Great Price, Comfortable, Reliable, High MPG"

Cons: "Low Horsepower"

"The 2012 Passat TDI SE is a great vehicle to own if one would love a reliable vehicle that is comfortable, beautiful, and gets excellent mileage. The exterior has subtle yet striking lines and the interior is simple yet refined for the price range. The sound system is great and the electronic features are easy to use. There is ample seating and storage room. The high level of torque makes driving fun but the lack of horsepower can get disappointing at higher rpm's if you are used to a high level of performance. Overall this is a great vehicle to own if you would like to travel in style and comfort while getting some of the best fuel mileage available. I usually average 41 mpg per tank and have gotten up to 48 mpg on a trip."

Awesome car! Get one you won't be disappointed

By on Friday, July 20, 2012

Pros: "Price, great ride, fuel economy, comfort, style"

Cons: "tire road noise, not cars fault"

"After renting one on vacation I was hooked! Purchased pre-owned 2012 Passat SE 2.5L from Carmax 4800 miles on the clock. I have to say very impressive mileage based on my normal speed limit driving. I average 29-32 mpg combined with ac running and four people which adds weight. This car is so nicely appointed with standard amenities found on more expensive vehicles and comfortable on long trips it's just amazing. It is a lot of car for the money, there is nothing left for me to desire on it. The room is unbelievable and the seats are so comfortable. There is tons of storage locations, and overall sporty luxury. Fit and finish that rivals really high end cars. Maintenance included 3/36 can't be beat. Best of all German engineering and built in America. Great Job!"

2013 V6 SEL Premium

By on Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pros: "Comfort and room"

Cons: "Premium gas"

"This is the best car I have ever owned. It has exceptional comfort. Two weeks after I purchased the car I took a 3600 mile trip. There have been no problems at all. When we tested the car we also tested a TDI SEl Premium version. We chose the V6 because it is so smooth and powerful. I do wish the German manufactures would get away from engines that require premium gas. both American and Japanese manufactures make engines of the same size or smaller that produce as much power on regular gas. A good example is GM's 3.6 V6."