2005 Volkswagen Passat

7.5

Based on 814 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

7.5/10

Passat has German build quality.

By on Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive diesel gives great fuel economy"

Cons: "Known mechanical weaknesses"

"Automatic transmission torque converter has know weakness and is expensive to repair. Affects ALL Passats. Oil pump is chain driven, later upgraded to gear driven, chain wears out also expensive to repair. Window regulators also known weakness, no VW recalls on any of these known issues. Fuel savings off-set by cost of repairs to above mentioned mechanical weaknesses."

First and last VW

By on Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Pros: "looks nice, handles great when running..."

Cons: "constant problems"

"I haven't had this car more than 60 days at a time w/o some warranty defect since I bought it. I'd say it's a lemon, but it is always something new. Turbo went at 60K, ignition coils went twice (VW finally fessed up with a recall on that one), radio needed to be replaced (thank goodness I bought the extended warranty). MANY other problems early like swing arms, sensors and cv joints. Worst car I've ever owned."

Reliable, great mileage, fun to drive car

By on Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pros: "Great Mileage"

Cons: "Prem.gas,expensive to repair"

"Only owner of this car. Gets great mileage, fun to drive. The fact that it takes Prem.gas seems to off set, with around 35 MPG for a nice size car.Spendy for repairs good thing it hasn't needed many."

Super TDI

By on Tuesday, September 7, 2010

"Bought the car new in 2004...now has 113K miles..the car is super reliable...it has only given me problems once...and that was in the cold of winter..sitting outside. Turned out the original battery needed replaced after 5 years...not too shabby. Over all I love the car...it rides nice, handles like a German car should and for a 4 banger oil burner can get up and move. The fuel consumption is superb...38+ for a 2.0L Diesel...don't see a Hybrid in my future anytime soon. My only regret: not waiting for one with electric seats...but guess we can't have it all!"

Reliable and almost green

By on Sunday, August 22, 2010

"I purchased this vehicle new in 2005 and currently have 130000 miles driven. In many ways the car is almost new. So much so that I recently had a friend ask me if I'd gotten a new car since the last time we met. I have experienced some fall off in gas millage lately which I suspect is due to engine wear. Even at that I still consistently get 35 mpg. My long term goal is to keep this car for another 130000 miles or more. The only negative I have about the car is its German engineering. Unfortunately no one other than a certified VW dealer will service this car. The TDI is a unique engine and frankly not something you want to have serviced by someone who is not intimately familiar with its ins and outs. This includes getting the oil changed. I made the mistake of having the oil changed by an oil change service only once and that was enough. Thus the oil changes are more expensive than what you would pay at your local jiffy lube. There are advantages to getting your oil changed at the dealer including there going over the vehicle looking for issues that may need to be addressed before you find yourself on the side of a highway calling for a tow. I can gladly say that at 130000 miles I have not had a breakdown and remain confident that the car can make the long trips I tend to make from time to time. Lastly, If you have a reputable VW dealer in your local area this is a great car. If your VW dealer is less than you would desire, than I would encourage you to steer clear of this or any VW product for that matter."

Awesome car

By on Friday, November 21, 2008

"This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Most reliable, comfortable, and SAFEST car I've ever been in. Currently looking for another one for my wife to drive."

Best Fuel Performing Ever

By on Friday, November 21, 2008

"This vechicle has provided a constant 30/40mpg;other performance, acceleration,braking,passing have been beyond what one might expect;expense keep certified and performing have been a little above average"

excellent value

By on Sunday, October 19, 2008

"Bought used from dealership, first VW and won't be my last. Excellent all around - reliability, comfort, and options. A little disappointed with fuel consumption considering its a 4 cylinder, but I still get average 25 mpg so I won't complain too much! I do drive it hard a lot and the tiptronic gearbox is good fun. In summary, a spacious reliable workhorse which I would recommend to anyone."

Only downside is city mpg

By on Wednesday, June 4, 2008

"My wife has absolutely loved this car! I'm a dealer and this is the first vehicle in a long time that my wife won't let go of. The quality is great and nearing 100k it still looks and performs like new. Only downside is the 18ish city mpg, which is a little on the low side for a wagon, also uses premium fuel. But this is one nice vehicle that has all the options of a luxury car with the extra storage families need."

LOVE IT!

By on Friday, April 25, 2008

"I love this car. my '03 is the second Passat I've had (had a jeep in between but only kept it 10 months before going back to the Passat!). The 1.8T manual is super fun to drive - feels like a sports car when you want it to...or a nice family sedan :) The handling of this car in snow & ice is fabulous (i don't have 4 motion) and is better than any 2 wheel drive car I've ever driven (with exception to the Jetta which was pretty equal!) and is even better than may 4WD vehicles! I guarantee my next car will be a VW, but I won't have to trade in for a while I've got 56K miles today and no signs of ANY mechanical issues that haven't been covered by warranty. The VW service department has been great (although I have most of my work done at the local shop & not at the dealer.) All around this is a very fun, stylish car to drive. The perception is that these are much more costly than they really are - so I get many turned heads. Also, with fuel prices skyrocketing I get an easy 27mpg city driving with my manual tranny - and about 35 highway! Love it. Buy it!"