2004 Volkswagen Passat

7.5

Based on 812 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

7.5/10

great, until 70K

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "great fit finish, stylish ride."

Cons: "things break down like dominos when at upper miles"

"Car was great and problem free until about 70K. Then unrelated problems kept coming and coming: no heat, leaking coolant, thurmastat, leaking gasket, rear defrost, regulator in door (works window), etc. Made all repairs at dealership, but new problems persisted. I thought it would run until 110K . Now spending too much time and money repairing and just want to get rid of it. When it worked, it was great. Loved it. Only complaint was it was a little underpowered. Great ride, sharp looking and very convenient. Even with problems mentioned above, car never failed to get me where I needed to go and never overheated."

Great Car!!!

By on Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pros: "love it, fun to drive, decent mileage"

Cons: "none...love it!"

"I've been driving this car for about a year and it's had over 200,000 miles on it since I bought it... still runs great and is a very dependable car. I took it out during the recent snowstorm and it heated right up and kept me and the engine warm without skipping a beat. In the summer, the AC is very cold and is quick to work even on the hottest of days. I definitely recommend!!!"

Passat TDI B4 wagon is amazing!

By on Friday, August 8, 2014

I want this car

Pros: "Solid German driving dynamics! DAS AUTO! Torque!"

Cons: "Lack of horsepower"

"There are not many German engineered vehicles like the Volkswagen Passat TDI sedan and wagon. They have best heated seats. The blue and pink diode gauges are a nice added touch to the interior. I wish that VW had this car in a GLX that would offer the automatic Climatronic and the rain sensor, auto dimming interior mirror, pwr. seats and last but not least the pwr. folding mirrors. The B4 passat wagon is hands down the best built and reliable Passat on the market. I would highly recommend this vehicle."

Great Car If taken care of and treated as required

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, Luxury for a low price, Sporty drive."

Cons: "City Mileage burns the wallet"

"The Car is great to drive around in. I have the 4 cylinder 1.8L Turbo, FWD. The car has comfortable seats, and the gas and break pedal give you the ability to increase speed very quickly or gently slow down. This car is fun to drive! Purchased at for 8k at 87,000 miles. Get this car only if it has quality car-fax and has been given premium gas. The car requires high maintenance and don't expect to get away with anything less than synthetic oil! make sure waterpump and timing belt are done before 95,000 miles. City mileage is not the greatest ( I get around 18mpg, Highway around 23-25mpg)"

Best of comfort and reliability

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "Affordable, comfortable, reliable, practical"

"I've had my Passat for eight years and it has never needed any work outside of routine maintenance. Volkswagens are extremely reliable and comfortable. Were it not for a few cosmetic issues that have popped up over the years in addition to my dog eating three out of five seatbelts in the car, I would be driving it into the ground. The car has always been fun to drive and easy to maintain."

My first commuter car

By on Saturday, March 2, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, heated seats are best"

Cons: "1.8 T I-4 cyl. is bit underpowered."

"Bought a 2002 GLS Wagon at 52K miles. So far I have driven 3K miles and had no major repairs. Driving and handling is superb, however I feel the base model 1.8 liter - 4 cylinder- Turbocharged engine is bit underpowered at 170 HP, especially if you live in hilly areas carrying 3 or more adults plus luggage. This wagon is certainly not a performance car by any means. If given an option, opt for V6 or W8 engines. Also, it jerks quite hard when you shift gear after startup, not while driving though. Gives about 18/24 mpg. Monsoon stereo is very good. Other than that, it has a lot of space, 4 basic electrical outlets, tons of safety features, AC works fine but takes a toll on mpg. A good basic people hauler."

Everyone is envious, I love mine.

By on Monday, April 2, 2012

Pros: "Very comfortable ride, super quiet too."

Cons: "City mileage is only between 20 and 25 mpg."

"From the heated leather seats in the winter to the custom, super quiet ride I love my car. All my friends want one and two even bought one. A great used value."

Wonderful!

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

Pros: "Set the cruise control and GO!"

Cons: "Tight spots to change lights"

"I bought my 2002 VW Passat after a terrible series of sour lemons. I've been very pleased with the car especially since I did buy it used not knowing what I was getting myself into. The big drawback in this endeavor is the fact that I am college student so yes, there is a definite "scarcity" in money! Getting repairs and maintenance has been a pain but well worth it. So, yes I didn't realize that VW was in the league of Mercedes, BMW, etc. therefore parts and service would be more than other cars out there... Yet, I am very pleased with my VW. Plus, I couldn't believe it when people told me they were envious of my Passat but hey, it does look pretty nice. Do yourself a favor, if you don't like Hondas; check out the VWs."

Excellent

By on Thursday, February 11, 2010

"This car has had a bad rap with sludge issues but that is for the careless owner. I have had mine since new, 120,000 mi, 7 years, and the factory battery is still in it. Superb family car, still very tight after all this time and very safe. The ONLY complaint anyone might have is that the preventitive maintenance at 100k is very expensive, timing belt, water pump etc need to be done and it is VERY important, this takes over 7hrs and costs north of a grand. Small price to pay, this car owes me nothing!"

Great Gas Mileage

By on Monday, October 13, 2008

"This 4 cylinder turbo engine Passat gives very good gas mileage on freeways. I get closer to 31 mpg on free ways. But during city drive I get around 24 mpg. It's a sturdy vehicle with good controls. The thing I don't like about this vehicle is the maintenance expense, especially if you take it to VW dealer. In addition, I noticed I had an issue with its moon roof operation which was very difficult to isolate and fix. Also, this vehicle had too many recalls. In the end, I would recommend this vehicle for its road comfort, sleek style and sturdiness."