2000 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 497 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.4/10
    7.0/10

Best car I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"Have had this car for 13 years. Have changed the oil every 5000 miles, and replaced a fuel sensor for $1500. I've never seen a car that has had so few problems for so long. Good gas mileage. Averaging around 27mpg. fun to drive"

Make a best friend mechanic or don't buy one.

By on Saturday, August 21, 2010

"Ive owned my 99 vw passat v6 for 80,000 miles. I bought it at about 50k miles on it. Since then it has had countless problems well exceeding my original purchase price. My advice to anyone buying this vehicle is to sell it at 90-100k miles because you will be shelling out lots of money for it after that. It is a fun car to drive. Very comfortable. Tiptronic is fun. That's all though."

Not great, not terrible

By on Sunday, July 25, 2010

"I have owned the 2000 Passat GLS V6 M/T for its entire life. I just spent $1300 on the car so that it could pass inspection. I think that over the last few years, I have spent about $1000 a year, cheaper than a car payment, but aggravating. The ABS control module warning light has been on for about 5 years; too expensive to fix and a common problem. I still have the original front brakes on the car at 160000 miles and got the timing belt replaced at 105000. It has never stranded me and I have had no problem using REG gasoline. My feelings are definitely mixed."

Looks nice, not reliable

By on Tuesday, June 8, 2010

"I love the way my car drives but I have had to make several very expensive repairs like water pump, fuel pump, valve cores, and various other repair!. For the amount of miles I have on it, I don't feel that it is very reliable. I am always waiting for the next thing to go wrong!"

Workhorse

By on Friday, November 13, 2009

"Driving this car for the last 9 years, 6 years completely paid for, has allowed me to resist the temptation to buy a more expensive and prestigious car. It doesn't exactly scream like the Beemer I've had my eye on, but it carries 3 times as much, gets fair mileage, goes better than my Subaru in foul weather, and has more features --all of which still work -- than any Beemer or Mercedes for under $55,000. Toyota and Honda have YET to match the handling and feel in their midize offerings. I'll drive it until it dies unless somebody builds a midsize all wheel drive diesel wagon."

VW

By on Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"We have owned this car for over 5 years, had its share of repairs. Interior parts seem to be a little bit of a problem. But dollar for dollar, this is one of the best cars I have ever had. over 180K miles on it now and it drives and sounds like new. Performance is excellent and if you take care of it and run synthetic oils and do the recommended maintenance, it will last and last. One recommendation is to change your timing belt and tensioner when you are supposed to. You will save a ton of money this way and synthetic oil will keep your turbo from going out."

Find a different car!

By on Sunday, August 16, 2009

"I bought this car 3 years ago when it had 75,000. I've spent so much money on repairs. It has electric problem after electric problem. The blinkers went out twice, the sun roof doesn't work, the dash lights went out, one speaker broke, I could go on and on. Then the timing belt broke, which cost me $1900 to fix! Recently the driver side window fell into the door. VWs are VERY costly for repairs. I won't ever buy a VW again."

couldn't keep it out of the shop!!!

By on Wednesday, July 1, 2009

"This car was in the shop 8 times over a year long ownership. Mechanic bills averaged over $200/month. if you see one for sell RUN the other way..."

2000 VW PASSAT GLS

By on Sunday, June 14, 2009

"I just bought this car less then a month ago. When I initially purchased it the guy told me it needed a tune up and stupid me I didnt drive the car I let him drive and I rode because I was unfamiliar with the area. He knew just how to drive it too so that I didnt notice what was wrong. I buy it and go home. On the highway I nearly die because as soon as you give it gas the car would start to shake and sputter and almost die. Long story short it did need a tune up and one more thing. The Mass Air Flow sensor needed replaced. This was the source of the "engine bucking." Once replaced no problem. Another thing is to make sure you use the right spark plugs. Not any will work. You must used NGK laser platinum plugs. They are designed for the car specifically. Great car after being fixed. Lots of power and really great styling. Would recommend to the right person. These cars are reliable but need attention from time to time. Find a really good local mechanic who knows VW's and it will save you a ton of money. I replaced the timing belt just to be safe and it came up to like $500 when volkswagen wanted $1300. Makes sense to look around. Car +++++. Happy VW owner."

Awesome Car

By on Wednesday, February 4, 2009

"I can't say enough good things about this car. Mine has 250,000 miles on it and it sill runs like new (2nd owner, bought it with about 70k 5 yrs ago). I have always done the advised maintenance and I have NEVER had a problem with it. I drive it harder than I probably should and it has still never broken down on me. Never and mechanical issues whatsoever. It has a ton of power when you need it. Very comfortable and roomy. Great lookin' car. Still looks and drives like a new car 10 years later. Maybe I just go lucky, but I say these are excellent cars. If you're in the market for a used vehicle don't hesitate to buy one, they're worth every penny."

By on Monday, February 2, 2009

"This is an awesome car. Expecially if you are some one who travels long distances, then definitely it is meant for you. The pick up is great and easily oozes over 45 mph in just 0 to 5 sec. Overall the cabin is very silent even at 80 mph. The suspension is very nice. This car just gives the right feel when driving. The styling some what gives you a decent effect. This car was designed by Audi for vw so the styling pretty much reflects to it. It is very roomy and its stereo has great speakers. The anti slip regulation helps in snow. The interior looks really nice in the night. Even by safety wise, it has very strong body and strong engine. A lot of air bags makes the cabin safe place. Plus child locks for doors and mirrors in the rear seat give an additional peace of mind. I would love to buy another VW Passat."

passat glx wagon awd

By on Thursday, January 8, 2009

"I have owned this car for eight years and it has been the best all round vehicle that I've ever owned. The GLX has a very high grade interior that includes firm leather power seats with three memory settings. It has a marvelous trip computer that provides information about gas mileage, speed, and time on the road that is still not available elsewhere. The four wheel drive system can drive circles around most SUVs (and has in white out conditions up north). It is very smooth and comfortable on the road and gets quite good gas mileage (in the mid 20s for the past six months in mixed driving). The 4-motion (AWD) causes the Passat to be a bit slower and a reduces gas mileage, but it makes the car feel extremely sure footed on all but the most treacherous roads. It has lots of room inside for the odd purchase of large screen tvs, building materials, or packing the kids off for to vist grandma for the holidays: its been a terrific car (I bought it new). For the past couple of years, unfortunately, a few minor repairs had to be made, but at major prices (because of VW pricing of replacement parts). This has me thinking about trading it in for a new one, but its ride and handling are still so much better than the competition that I hate to do so."

Simply Indestructable

By on Friday, December 12, 2008

"I've had my 99 Passat for 3 years now and I have beat this car to death. It's still going strong with 158000 miles (bought it when it had 88000)"

7 year owner: great car!

By on Monday, May 19, 2008

"I bought the 2000 passat 4 door sedan GLS with leather package/sunroof brand new. It now has 117,000 miles on it. Good: Better gas mileage than reported. :) Acceleration great onto the highway. Excellent handling. Layout, perfect don't need to look to find controls it's so intuitive. Quality: extremely quiet, car has held up well over the years. Safety: lots of great safety features other cars in the price range don't have. (toy, nissan). Issues I've had: A/C needed recharging 1 x. Water pump needed replacing. Front headlights tend to go out fast after it hits 5 years old for some reason. (electrical issues starting now?) Other great things: The car is supposed to run on premium gas. I've only ever put premium in one time and never had dings. The car has always performed expertly. Never needed to change the brakes or other things fords/chevys need at earlier mileages."

Frustrating

By on Wednesday, March 5, 2008

"I love the car for it's looks and handling. I have owned Volkswagons for 25 yrs., however this car, as much as I love it for being a cool looking Volkswagon, has been very frustrating. Warning lights are the norm. There are always warning lights on the dash. The garages sometimes get to the problem and sometimes don't. It has become extremely expensive to hold on to the car, and I hate to say it because I will always have a place in my heart for Volkswagons, I will more than likely never buy another. They are just so unreliable. It's frustrating... and oh so disappointing. Farewell car company of my youth. I've grown wiser with age."

Don't buy this car!

By on Thursday, February 7, 2008

"I bought a very clean Passat 3 years ago and it has been constant trouble. First brakes, then alignment issues, leaky seals, and now electrical problems. I've put over $ 7,000 into what I thought would be a stylish performer, but gas mileage and looks aren't enough. Don't buy a Volkswagen."

Electrical Nightmare

By on Thursday, January 10, 2008

"Personally, I love the way this car drives. It handles great, has plenty of power and is a blast to cruise around in, but overall this car is an electrical nightmare. I've had numerous problems with my electrical and computer systems that have repair costs in the neighborhood of $3-4k. If you can afford all of the glitches you have to deal with it is a great car, otherwise I'd steer clear. Other people with VWs have told me they encountered similar problems with theirs. Wouldn't recommend this car to anyone living in the mountains either."

By on Saturday, October 6, 2007

"I bought mine already 4 years old. With over 105k miles on it when I bought it. I am now at 160k. What a great car. Fast... dependable.... and I get 30 miles a gallon in California traffic. It does seem to have a few electrical problems like the sunroof opening by it's self, but seriously great car."

Not a service hog

By on Friday, October 5, 2007

"I own a 2000 Passat V6 4Motion that I bought used in September 2003 with 73,000 miles. It now has 138,000 miles. This car has never let me down. So far only normal wear and tear repairs have been done. Dealer service is pricey but I am sure you can find a good mechanic (emissions training a plus) that will treat you well. This is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. Handles nice too. I do not recomend the VW trunk mounted CD changer."

What a disappointment

By on Thursday, September 20, 2007

"Love the way it looks. Love the way it drives, esp on the road, in the mountains. Maintenance is as costly as a BMW. Too many preventative main items -- tension rod and water pump needs replaced every 80K miles. Takes mid-grade gas or higher. Bad example of German engineering. I'm turning Japanese, I really think so."

loved new until start fall apart

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"Loved when new. Fast, great sound system and could hold a ton in the back. Still driving but all the small problems have ruined this car for me. Never failed me, but there is constantly something to fix and the lights on the dash are a Christmas tree of lights buzzing all the time. Air bag, abs, check engine light, etc. etc. Brakes and tires go quick also. Parts are expensive and hard to find. I will NEVER buy another VW ever, ever again."

Many problems

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"I rarely use my Passat, only has 55k miles over 7 years, however I have run into a mulititude of problems, many of which are out of the owner's control: electrical, valves slipping, pipes cracking, etc. I owned a '97 Accord for 3 years, never had a single problem, I have owned the '00 Passat for 7 years, have had dozens of mechanical issues. Going back to Honda!! Also, VW has to figure out minor details too, such as cupholders that can hold cups, and trunks that don't require bodybuilders to lift and close."

Great Car for the Money

By on Friday, July 27, 2007

"Having owned my 1998 Passat for 9 years I have to say it is an excellent car. It still drives wonderfully, looks great - timeless style and design, and is very reliable. I will say that I have maintained it well over the years which I think is a must with a German Car. But for the $ I think it is such a nicer driving and handling car than its Japanese competition. I highly recommend the Passat to someone who loves to Drive and is willing to take care of their car."

best vehicle ever

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

"This has been an amazing, reliable, comfortable car. so sad that a fender bender has totaled it due to high highway miles. I have kept it emmaculate and it hasn't been hard to do."

Comfortable, but has a couple of problems

By on Monday, January 2, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, handles well, lots of room for cargo"

Cons: "Tends to bottom on uneven roads, flooding problem"

"This car is good for tall folks. I am 6'2" and have trouble fitting comfortably behind the wheel of some cars. The seat height adjustment and tilt/telescoping wheel make it easy for just about any size driver to find a comfortable driving position. There is lots of room to haul stuff if you put the back seats down. The ride is comfortable and steering is tight, not wishy-washy like some other cars. The suspension is not great for rough terrain or pot holes and has a tendency to bottom out, especially when fully loaded. I bottomed out onto the protruding edge of a manhole cover and cracked my transmission. The main design flaw is the trough under the battery. It has a small drainage hole at the bottom and if it gets clogged with leaves or other debris, that trough will fill with water when it rains. When this happens it overflows into the passenger compartment and floods the two computer modules which are under your feet in the front seating area. Those two modules control just about everything in the car and are over $300 to replace. There was also a drainage issue around the sliding sun roof."