2000 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 497 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.4/10
    7.0/10

171,000 miles since bought new - excellent vehicle

By on Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pros: "Fast, reliable, efficient, and comfortable"

Cons: "Some interior plastic is showing wear"

"I bought my 2001.5 Passat Wagon new more than 10 years ago. It is white with a beige leather interior and a 5 speed manual transmission. My Passat is mostly driven at high freeway speeds where it cruises effortlessly and clocks a solid 30 mpg on 87 octane fuel. I use non-synthetic oil and have it changed religiously every 3,000 miles. My Passat is the most reliable, comfortable car I have owned. After 150K, unscheduled maintenance is trending up and includes coil packs (2x) @ 169K , ABS control unit @ 161K, and a smog air pump relay @ 152k. Other unscheduled maintenance includes an airmass meter @ 104K, vacuum hose replaced @ 94K, CV boot @ 90K"

One owner car, tip top condition very low miles

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "if you like a car for freeway fast driving"

Cons: "I don't know of any"

"This car is a very nice car made in Germany and it the same care as and Audi. Fuel injection auto matic and stick shift. Pearl gray, great tires (all weather) just put in new water pump and replaced most hoses and the radiator resavor tank. Very clean and very low miles. one owneer, no somking, sound system cd rack in the rear compartment, very easy to change the cd's."

Many "common" problems

By on Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"I've owned this car for six years and have had nothing but trouble since day one. Several years ago I was sent three or four recalls on it. I took it in and they said my car had two of the problems that the recalls were sent out for. I wish I had kept those recall letters because years later my driver side window just fell inside the door. I took it to the dealership and they said what had broke was part of a recall on my car, but there was a 7 year limit for getting it fixed. It cost $3000 to get fixed! Everytime I take my VW into a repair shop (which happens frequently) the repair man ALWAYS says "oh, that's a common problem with your car." I would like to know what isn't a common problem with it. Last time I took it to a new place and was explaining 4 or 5 problems I had and the repair man (who had not seen my car) looked up from his desk and said "so you have a VW I assume." Bottom line...Don't buy a VW."

Nice Handling, Confortable Ride Poor Reliability

By on Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Pros: "Nice to drive"

Cons: "High maintenance, unreliable, terrible dealers"

"Good German engineering, but poor reliability. You will love the car but hate the cost and inconvenience of maintenance. Do NOT buy a VW if you want a reliable car."

Stay Away...

By on Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Reason: too many problems

"Just sold my VW Passat GLX which I owned from the gitgo. Probably could have bought two Lexus-es with the amount of money I put into my Passat. Not reliable. Tho...I will admit it handles beautifully and is fun to drive. But...you will pay for one little problem after another. Always worried if it will make it to the destination. I'm "one and done" with VW. Sorry. Not going back!!!"

I LOVE this car!

By on Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pros: "Driveability, fun to drive, lots of extras"

Cons: "Cheezy cup holders"

"I have a 6 cyl. Passat and it drives like a charm. It's a manual transmission which shifts beautifully and is very fun and comfortable to drive. The only thing I would trade this for is a new Passat, but it has to be a manual transmission."

Run away

By on Friday, January 14, 2011

"had one - cost over 15k in repairs for a car that did not make 100,000 miles. Nice car when working but expensive to fix. For example, changing the timing belt & water cooler was quoted at $1800 due to the design of the car (it is a day & half job) I had the identical job done on a 1995 Camry for $580"

Reliable

By on Friday, August 21, 2009

"I own a '99 Passat V6 2.8L manual sedan and am very satisfied with it. Power and acceleration is great. I had only 2 "major" repairs; timing belt and 60k miles service (expensive at VW dealer repair dept). I skipped 30k and 90k service. I change oil every 5k, replaced brake pads, battery and tires once. It's now at 110k and still running like as i bought it in 1999!"

Needs lots of money to keep it running past 100k

By on Thursday, June 25, 2009

"I have had this car since 2002. I bought it with 30k miles on it and it now has 140k miles. It was great until it approached 100k miles. Since then it has been one problem after another. The 2000 is just not a long term keeper. Do not buy a used one unless you really love it and don't mind pouring money into it."

Above Expectations

By on Thursday, January 17, 2008

"I've just hit the 80,000 miles mark and thought retrospectively about the car. Just as I said, the car behaved better than I would have expected 8 years ago when I bought it brand new. Never let me down, though I have to mention the following: - rear brake pads&rotors replaced twice (40k+75k); - battery replaced twice - tires replaced once (I had the original Contis for 70k); - front wheel boots replaced 65k; - vacuum pump replaced 60k; - engine seals replaced 50k (V6 engine). Rock solid car, but getting bored and think about replacing it with an A6."

Great to drive, expensive to repair

By on Sunday, October 21, 2007

"I bought a 2000 VW Passat at 55,000. I has been wonderful to drive. I love the way it picks up so quickly and the handling is excellent. I have had a few EXPENSIVE repairs done though. Because many mechanics will not work on VW's, it makes it easy for the ones that do to charge a great deal. If you luck out and don't have any mechanical issues, the car is a joy. If you are not so lucky like me, it can be rough on the finances."

Good wagon, not Great

By on Friday, October 19, 2007

"We bought our Passat new in Jan 1999, and it's still going strong. Very reliable car, no maintenance other than regularly scheduled stuff, and the occasional replacing of light bulbs. I think we were lucky and got a good one. Electrical problems are happening, though. The Temperature gauge no longer works. Also, our AC went out 3 years ago, and I refuse to pay $2,000+ for a new compressor. We were very disappointed when the AC went bad. Also, parts are breaking on the inside...molding has come down around the rear windows...small stuff like that. Mechanically, our Passat has been a very sound, reliable station wagon. We had one oil leak but it was fixed for free thanks to the 10 year/100,000 mile power train warranty that came standard on the '99. We hope to keep it for well over 10 years. The reason I gave my car 3 stars for quality is due to the AC going out, and temp gauge not working, and the small things breaking on the inside. Mechanically it has been 5 star wagon. Having said all of this, I'm not sure I would buy another Passat, though. They are expensive to buy new."

Very Costly to maintain

By on Wednesday, October 3, 2007

"I own a 2001 Passat GLX and while the drive is great, the maintainence of the car is a nightmare. The parts and labour are just too expensive. for e.g. to replace a single light bulb cost $29/- . Routine maintainence items (other then oil change - $80/-) typically cost in excess of $600/-. Also my car has done only 67,000 miles and already many major parts are breaking down (engine mounts, radiator leaks etc.)and I am looking at expenses in excess of $3000/- to get them all fixed. I have always done all the routine maintaince and service as recommended by VW, however I still have such a steep repair bill. I cannot wait to get rid of it and will strongly recommend against buying a VW."

This vehicle has been a huge expence to maintain.

By on Saturday, February 9, 2013

Pros: "Its cute"

Cons: "Expensive to maintain"

"I love the appearance of the body, but it has been extremely expensive to maintain."

VW Passat, best at: safety, reliability, comfort

By on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pros: "Safety, fuel efficiency, room, ride."

Cons: "Stereo can sometimes loose signal."

"Owned car for 120,00 of it's 190,000 miles. Very well built, still original exhaust, clutch, engine & transmission (5-spd). Car still gets 30 MPG, does not burn or leak oil. Still fast and smooth. Never had a car (American or foreign) that is better at everything it does that this car. It is very safe, with airbags up front, and sides, as well as torso bags in seats. Looks as it did when new, a testament to how well they are put together, and the quality of the materials inside. Couldn't be happier with its overall performance."

Sporty and economical, drives like a gocart

By on Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pros: "Lots of power, fun to drive, reliable."

Cons: "Check engine lights"

"I have owned this car since day one. 165,000 miles now 12 years later, original clutch! For some reason parts have come way down in price, so a good used vehicle to own. The check engine lights are always on on these cars, you need to service the emissions tubing and system regularly. If you do not, it may cause oil leaks on the engine which, on the V6 engines can be near impossible to fix without major dissasembly of the entire engine! This car has a ton of pep even at 165k, good on gas with the 4 cyl turbo. Easy clutch to drive. I would buy another one in a heartbeat."

Comfortable/smooth ride

By on Friday, November 4, 2011

Reason: Expensive/Time-consuming Maintenance

Pros: "Comfortable ride, Good MPG, does well in Ice/Snow"

Cons: "Devours oil, repairs are expensive/time consuming"

"I bought this car in 2007, my second vehicle ever, and it had about 70k on it. I lived in an area where snow/ice and high winds were an everyday occurance and this car held it's own like a champ. Smooth comfortable ride, heated leather interior, Heat/AC always worked, 0 mechanical/engine problems. Car would always start up, even if it was -30 Fahrenheit outside. My maintenance (oil, tires, pressure, fluids, etc.) were always up to date. Bad news is, once I hit the 100k mark, the car simply started falling apart everywhere. My Turbo began burning 2 quarts of oil a week, started having misfires at startup, OEM shocks/struts literally started to decay/rust and fall off, all kinds of sensors began failing, and a bunch of other annoying things here and there that can be attributed to the age of the car. I've spent many free weekends hunting down spare parts and fixing the Passat myself, only to drive 5k-10k miles and have another mysterious age-related problem creep up. I finally bit the bullet and sold it when I hit 150k. After spending almost $1500 on parts alone and many lonely weeends tinkering with this car(which is no joke to repair), the time spent repairing the vehicle vs. the few weeks I got to drive it before it broke again for something unrelated to what I had just repaired wasn't worth the hassle anymore. All in all, car was fun at first, most comfy ride I've ever driven, but after the 100k mark, you're entering a world of hurt ;)."

Nice car but...

By on Saturday, August 22, 2009

"the car needs too many repairs. When I bought it at 76,000 miles it was great. However, now with 91,000 the car has needed many major repairs costing me over $2000 in 4 months with many more to come I'm sure. Very fun car to drive, especially the v6 5speed. However with all the repairs lately, it has me thinking that selling it may be the best more I could make."

Cost of Ownership

By on Saturday, August 8, 2009

"Only complaint is finding an affordable and honest service garage, that repairs what needs to be done, with out fixingg the car so it has to come back in the next month. The affordable part is what hurt this car the most, and main reason we will never go back to VW. A real keeper and easier to love it if you can, or know a good friend that will take care of the frequent maintenance. If not, be ready to drop the coin, but this could have been expected for any of the German makes."

Awesome Car

By on Monday, December 15, 2008

"Bought my 99 Passat 4 yrs ago with 65K on it. Yeah, had to put some $ into it....sensor for the temp gauge, rear caliper, and the biggie...cam shaft adjuster, timing belt and water pump. Car now has 118K on it and runs like a top. Just put new 50K Goodyears on her and hope to wear them out before its time to say goodbye to her or reload with new rubber. Gets around as good as my 4X4 truck in the winter. Poor thing has to sit outside year round, but I keep her washed and waxed and she still looks good from 10 feet. Wife and I love it so much, she got a new close out 08 this year."

How much can you afford?

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"That's what it comes down to. How much can you afford. Bought this car used 2 or 3 years ago. $10,000 in it so far. Research the oil sludge issue. Many cars don't have a problem. But, many do. For some reason, maybe the way the engine sits transverse, the oil gets overcooked in the turbo. It might be inadequate cooling of the turbo. In any case, ask anyone who has had one of these engines apart. There is a lot of carbon deposits. Ask this knowledgable person about the OIL FED rear cam chain tensioner. What do you think happens when the screen on this chain tensioner becomes clogged? Or the screen in the oil pump? What happens when this gets clogged? DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT RUN THIS CAR WITHOUT A HIGH QUALITY SYNTHETIC OIL. If you do, you will regret it. BOTTOM LINE: If the previous owner is NOT ABLE to prove that this 4-cylinder TURBO has had synthetic oil since day one AND HAS RECEIPTS FOR TOTAL FRONT SUSPENSION, REBUILT TURBO, OIL PUMP, REAR CHAIN TENSIONER, TIMING BELT, AND WATER PUMP... Then, DO NOT TOUCH THIS CAR WITH A 1,000 FT. POLE. Thank you,"

Fun but prepare to spend $ on repairs often

By on Saturday, March 29, 2008

"My Passat station wagon has been a very fun car to drive since I bought it new. However, it has many reliability issues. Power steering needed to be replaced. A couple oil leaks were repaired under warranty. Both catalytic converters needed to be replaced at about 80,000 mile at a cost of over $2,000. Power locks intermittently stop working. Many front end components have already needed to be replaced. All in all, more trouble than the car is worth."

Last VW

By on Monday, September 17, 2007

"I've owned several VWs and had positive experiences with all but the 99 Passat. Car is a maintenance nightmare, especially with electrical problems that keep recurring. Parts are expensive and many are cheaply made. Will never buy another VW based on my Passat experience. Can't wait to unload this thing!"

good car

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"pros - reliable car with very good handling for a sedan. good warranty - water pump and something else went bad after 7 years but since i was original owner it was covered under warranty. con - clips on head lights broke within two weeks of each other after 6 years. only way to replace was to buy brand new lights ($100 each). Engine is getting louder as car gets older."

Best car I've owned

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "Fast, sporty, great handling, comfortable"

Cons: "expensive to repair,"

"I'm 23 and since I was 16 I've owned 7 cars and 2 of them were Passats First I owned a 2003 which got repoed when I lost my job and I just bought another one(2001). Everything about this car is fantastic. It's fast sporty and can beat the pants off of any rice burner. It's very dependable and tells you what's wrong with it when something is wrong. Both have had sunroofs which are like freedom on a warm summer day. SPACE this car has a lot of it, plenty of leg room for 5 or 8 if you stuff 3 in the trunk, which it has room for. The sound system is very good and comes with an amp in the trunk stock. The seats are a real winner I drove my 2003 100 miles a day back and forth to school in Atlanta traffic, they have a lever to adjust the height a knob on the back for angle and one above it for FIRMNESS :). I prefer manual seat adjusters because you DON'T want the motor to go out on your electric seat positioner and your seat to be stuck where you don't want it. The night time color scheme is brilliant with blue odometers and red everything else it really accents the night and makes everything look really nice."