2008 Volkswagen New Beetle

6.9

Based on 1106 Ratings for the 1998 - 2010 models.

7.3/10
    7.0/10
    7.2/10
    7.6/10

Not too impressed.

By on Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pros: "Smooth ride. Good on gas for the most part"

Cons: "Needs worked on ALL THE TIME, unreliable"

"I bought this car less than a year ago and I have had to take it to a mechanic 5 times already for different problems. Sensors and fuses go out all the time. My oil pan leaks so badly that i have to completely refill the oil tank about twice a month. The cup holders in the front are located underneath the dash, so the only things that are small enough to fit in them are soda cans and spare change. Speaker sound quality isn't the greatest, and my tape player messes up a lot when I try and use the special tapes you can plug an mp3 player into. This car is really good on gas as long as all of the sensors are functioning properly, otherwise it eats gas like crazy. The only time you would know it has an alarm system is when it decides to auto lock itself, set the alarm and then proceed to have the alarm go off non stop. When this happens, unlocking the car is not enough to make it stop. I actually have to get in and drive it for a bit to make the alarm stop resetting itself and going off again 30 seconds later. I took it to a mechanic to find out why it was doing this and was told that a sensor in the door was most likely not working and it would cost $500 or more to repair the problem. I was also told that this is a common issue with 1998 Beetles. Another problem I'm having is that the drivers side window (both are power windows) will roll up almost all the way and then roll itself back down. Also, any major repairs the car needs have to be done by a Volkswagen tech and can't be done by an ordinary mechanic. Most if not all of the replacement parts have to be ordered from Volkswagen and can't just be generic car parts, so it costs an arm and a leg when something needs repaired. All in all I had a terrible experience with this car. Don't get sucked in by how cute they are like I did. Do your research first."

2003 turbo bug

By on Sunday, November 10, 2013

Pros: "very cute"

Cons: "to much to repair"

"new engine after 80000 miles and now i see the check engine light on again. I love this car but when you by a VW you expect superior engineering. like the commerical says. I should have know when they only warrenty their power train to 60000 miles. Most other cars do 1000000. when i told My mechanic what i bought he asked why i did not ask him first. he finds it really hard to work on. That because they don't want anyone but a vw dealer to work on them which we are very expensive. Buy the way the new engine cost 8,000.00 to replace."

Reliable and spacious.. for two anyway

By on Monday, November 05, 2012

Pros: "Individuality, fuel efficiency, and reliable."

Cons: "Poor positioning of cup holders, and not spacious."

"I have had this car for over a year now, and it has provided me with reliable and fuel efficient transportation. It stylish and stands out as well as hold enough room for me and my passenger's needs. This has been my dream car since I was a child and so far it has been everything I could hope for and more. Over the time I have had my bug I have used about 6,000-7,000 miles on it. I go through about $20 a week in gas to keep me topped off; its about a half-a-tank of gas. Great car, lowrider, seat warmers(:, convertible, and a hint of individuality."

Good little car

By on Friday, August 28, 2009

"I'm the 4th owner of a 2000 GLS and overall it's been a good car. This is my 1st VW and I've quickly discovered repairs can be quite costly, as parts for this import are much more expensive than domestic vehicles. Pros: roomy interior, dependable, great features (heated seats, power sunroof, keyfob, vast array of exterior colors). Cons: idiot lights (instead of gauges) for cooling system requires you to reference the owner's manual which typically tells you to take to the dealer (not much help). Many blind spots in this model - especially for the short driver. Exterior mirrors are located too high and block your view when turning - VW lowered the mirrors on newer models. Beware of the door hinges that dry out, making it next to impossible to open/close the doors, as well as the hatchback not latching closed - these have been issues I've encountered along with many other VW owners and aren't cheap to fix! Replacing burned out headlight bulbs are a nightmare due to the design and are best done by a professional - sadly the dealer charges $65+ to replace this $9-$10 bulb. Remove the antenna from the roof before going through a car wash or you'll spend $25+ for a replacement when it eventually breaks."

great car, fun to drive, but lots of repairs

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great on gas, very cute"

Cons: "expensive repairs"

"this car is amazing, its basally have a little jeep. this car can easy drive over snow, and never has gotten stuck. because of its small size it can fit anywhere, if you one of those speed racer, constantly merging into different lanes on the highway kind of person this is the car for you. when it comes to getting repair, it is a different story. i have spent well over 3,000 dollars just in the last year with this car due to minor things. the driver side window sometimes goes down on its own and the biggest problem of all the i still haven't yet to resolve is that it leaks. after rain this car becomes a swimming pool! i love my bug and I'm not trading it anytime soon."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volkswagen New Beetle near Honolulu. See local deals