2012 Volkswagen Jetta

8.4

Based on 360 Ratings for the 2011 - 2017 models.

Love the car - concerned about reliability

By on Saturday, January 7, 2017

Pros: "Handling, acceleration, rear seat and trunk room"

Cons: "Electronic problem right out of the gate"

"We needed a second car and found the Jetta SE very similar to our Audi A4 for about half the price. Great handling, better acceleration and transmission shifting than the A4, more rear seat room, same huge trunk. On the downside, Hazard Warning system failed at 200 miles and dealer advises there is a long process to go through before VW will authorize repair. Service manager said there have been quite a few problems with the system. If it hadn't come with the Hazard Warning system, so that it couldn't have failed, I would count this as my best new car purchase in over 40 years."

Awesome to drive very comfortable

By on Monday, October 8, 2012

Pros: "great off the line great in stop and go traffic"

Cons: "to much cabin noise"

"My last two cars were Civic's and I thought they were great until I purchased this car. I am very happy with this investment. I look for reasons to take long drives. I would rather have this car than a Silver Cloud."

Fantastic vehicle, mileage above expectations...

By on Saturday, October 29, 2016

Pros: "Economical to drive, handles nice"

Cons: "Needs a rear window wiper as stock item"

"I really like this car. Exceeded my expectations, especially in performance and high altitude driving. Handles well. 2 issues. 1.) Low beam burned out at 48K, RH side. 2.) The CARB/EPA issue VW is dealing with. I am NOT turning my car in, and opted for the repair/fix IF it gets approved. IF VW comes up with fix and does NOT destroy the mileage and performance, I will be happy. If it runs like an 83 Rabbit Diesel after fix, I will unload it............. For now, drives excellent and I enjoy it. I drove from Sacramento Ca. to Los Angeles on 8 gallons of fuel. I wish I had bought one with Fog Lamps for night driving. Fold the rear seats down, and you can sleep in the trunk!"

awesome and fun

By on Friday, October 5, 2012

"I got this car mostly for the mileage. It says 42 highway but I got my average up to 48. I enjoy the handeling, theaudio and just about everything else"

2017 Jetta S

By on Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Pros: "Value"

Cons: "heat and a/c"

"I have owned this car for 4 months now. Car seems solidly built.Gas mileage has been up to 42 on the highway and I have averaged 36 mpg overall.Sits a little low for me but maybe fine for most people.Seems roomier than a lot of other smaller cars.The factory tires do not look like they will be good in snow probably more for gas mileage.Not sure about the HVAC maybe the cars weak point.Takes sometime to really heat the interior and with little experience yet I think a/c may be weak also.Considering the price I paid I feel it was one of the better values for a new car."

this is my 4th Jetta

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Pros: "SNAPPY ACCELERATION,GREAT ECONOMY 38 MPG."

Cons: "NO SLIDING SUN VISORS,HEADREST DO NOT ADJUST."

"I got my first Jetta in the late 90's than the 2000's and recently I just got my 2017,BY FAR THIS 2017 IS THE BEST JETTA YET.Everything I used to love is still there,huge trunk,excellent handling,plenty of room in the cabin,good MPG,THAT TIGHT EUROPEAN FEEL, AND NOW WITH ALL THE SAFETY FEATURES,VW MANAGED TO PUT SOME ZIP INTO THE MOTOR UP FROM 115 BHP TO 150 BHP WITH EVEN MORE TORQUE 180LBS AND 40% MORE GAS EFFICIENT,THIS CAR IS IMPRESSIVE,BUT YET IT JUST BLENDS IN WITH THE OTHER TRAFFIC,DOESNT STAND OUT AND SCREAM LOOK AT ME."

Best North American made Volkswagen ever!!

By on Sunday, July 3, 2016

Pros: "The back seat is huge."

Cons: "NONE"

"Test drove 4 cars. Hyundai Sonata, Chevy Cruze, Toyota Corolla, Volkswagen Jetta. The Jetta was not the best value in my book, but the lumbar support is what sold my wife on this VW. The ONLY problem we have had was a blown circuit for the trunk light. The dealer fixed it in 10 min. Only 1 recall in 3 years. In 35 years of buying cars, this is the best one. Plus, the dealer didn't bat an eye when we said we wanted certain options and a certain color. I do know that 125 mph going up Raton Pass is so quiet in this car you don't even realize how fast you're going w/ NO effort. If there was one thing I don't like about this Jetta, its the taillights. This is supposed to be a world-class car. But all Jetta's made in Mexico for the North American market have red turn signal lenses. They should be amber colored to be correct!"

solid, secure, nice ride

By on Monday, June 15, 2015

Pros: "great footing"

Cons: "could use a few more ice cubes from the a/c"

"after one year and a little over 10k miles - very pleased !"

Lost German dynamics in its American conversion

By on Friday, January 13, 2012

Pros: "VW phylosophy in the way they desing and build car"

Cons: "Would like it to handle like my old Jetta"

"Does not handle road as well as our previous Jetta, but still superior to Toyota or Honda and definitely better than Nissan."

Good vehicles especially for the money

By on Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Pros: "Great price for a car that not a penalty box."

Cons: "Hard plastic that scratches easy."

"Paid 15.5k (sedans are now unpopular and VW is desparate for sales in the U.S.) for the car and at that price I really can only say good things about the car. Zero reliability issues and I feel its more car then I paid for. Keep in mind this is a basic car by todays standards but if you want basic transportation without feeling like you are driving a penalty box this car fits the bill. My favorite thing is the car get 43 mpg on my mostly freeway commute so I regularly get over 500 miles on a tank. Who needs a more costly hybrid."

By on Saturday, May 6, 2017

Pros: "handling, MPG, quality, price, size"

Cons: "getting familiar with dual-clutch type tranny"

"Being new to VW my expectations were based on the customer reviews from sites such as KBB. With nearly 500 miles behind me in highway and city driving this car performs very well. This car is fun to drive, comfortable, and so far has exceeded my expectations. The gas mileage combo city/ highway is very good. This is a very good car at a great price."

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pros: "Fun Car to own and drive"

Cons: "A little pricy"

"It is fun to drive, gets great milage, haas a wonderful sunroof, tons of space. I love this car!!!"

I love my Jetta

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "very sporty, it's german you know it's quality"

Cons: "only con I have is the connector for my iphone"

"this is the nicest small car I've had. I love the navigation, bluetooth, and audio system. and it's very comfy for my hour ride to work everyday."

I love my wagon!!

By on Saturday, January 7, 2012

Pros: "Interior lay out, clean exterior style, fuel econo"

Cons: "no push to start :( hard seats"

"This car suits my needs that is the main reason I got it. I have a kayak, mtn bikes, and a dog. It has ample cargo space for all of my outdoor fun activities and the premium pkg definitely steps it up so that it looks just as good in the city as it does in the state park parking lot. My only complaint is that a vehicle in this price range didn't come with a dual climate control, auto dimming rear view mirror, and push to start. That option was added for the 2012, guess i'm a bit jealous.... all and all I love my car. The seats could be a bit more comfy but overall it is a great driving experience. precise crisp steering... ample power with 236 lbs of torque. I get great fuel economy and i have never felt that the 140 hp engine is underpowered for the size of the car. The brakes are amazing also... my room mate says its like braking on a cloud... not sure what that means but I'm sure its a good thing."

Very nice.

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

"Very nice ride, good handling, very good fuel milage 42 to 45 Highway 35 in town. Pricey car."

Hard to beat!

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "Power, features"

Cons: "Some materials sub par"

"The new Jetta is great. It drives really well and has sufficient power. There are neat features such as the touchscreen radio, auto up/down on all windows, trunk opens on its own. I think the price is right compared to what else is out there. It could use a few nicer materials on the interior but it looks good overall. I wanted the 5 spoke wheels but couldn't justify the extra money for them."

Exceptional German Built Car

By on Saturday, November 3, 2012

Pros: "Great mpg that delivers snappy peformance."

Cons: "Soft rear suspension and useless center armrest."

"This is my 3rd VW diesel. This car has more zip to it than the 2006. The ride is the same, the interior fit and finish are good. The center arm rest is useless and the rear suspension is soft. However, this is the best Jetta yet in my possession. I am a daily commuter of almost 30 miles one way on the interstate. Consistently 49-50 mpg from this car. I like the leatherette seats. I appreciate the layout of the console, instrumentation and the bluetooth. I could list my few minor faults with this car, but the reason I bought another Jetta was because I had exceptional longevity on the first two vehicles. The 2000 and 2006 Jettas were recycled in the family, the 2000 model has over 200K on it and driven daily, the '06 has 102K on it and is driven by my son in college. My wife loves this car because of the handling. I think it handles as well as her Audi and we just got back from a 600 miles round trip on one tank of gas. For 22K this was a good investment. I do not know if it will last like my other two, but I am also a firm believer your car will last as long as it is cared for, treated well, serviced as needed and keep the daughters boyfriend from gettng behind the wheel. I highly recommend this car for those that want a good, dependable, comfortable commute. The satellite radio is top notch, the seats are firm and supportive, the 6 speed manual is flawless and the turbo is responsive with pleny of zip to it for 50 mpg. Oh, and by the way, my daughters Prius cost us more to buy, has much less room, has fewer options and gets the same gas mileage, sometimes less on trips. And I know I will get 200K out of it, and I dont have to worry about that huge cadmium battery that I wonder if can be recycled at all???"

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat!

By on Thursday, January 5, 2012

Pros: "Near Prius MPG with Cool Dad driving appeal"

Cons: "DSG transmission takes some getting used to"

"So to start I've driven trucks more often than anything else but recently moved to a much more urban area and couldn't see myself commuting or even parking my 4 door Tundra in this mess. We had been using my wife's 2003 Corolla as the family car when gas mileage was an issue. I had been eyeing the TDI Sportwagen for about 6 months. I wanted maximum cargo space, performance and over 30 MPG. I test drove the Outback thinking I needed AWD because I was replacing a truck. The 4 cycl maxed out at something like 32 MPG (when you're nursing it) and I wasn't impressed with the power. The next day I test drove my TDI Sportwagen. HOLY SMOKES! The DSG transmission takes some getting used to, especially at low RPMs, but when you put your foot in the pedal it does exactly what you want. Doesn't matter what speed you're at either. I recently drove to Texas with my wife and 2 kids, all of our luggage, plus a full size cooler in the back. We even picked stuff up on the way without any issues or luggage racks. I was averaging 39 MPG while doing 9 MPH or more over the speed limit at all times. I nursed it the first 550 miles and got 46mpg but I got tired of being in the slow lane. When I wanted to pass a truck while doing 80, I blew past them with no problem. I had to watch myself a little bit because you can hit 100mph in no time. (I know I'm a horrible person, blah blah) The steering is very responsive, the 4 wheel disc brakes stop on a dime, the diesel engine is quiet and purrs only slightly louder than a gasoline engine. Not like the old school diesels. The Panoramic sunroof was a huge selling point for me. My kids can look at the sky while I'm driving and see things they never could before. It's gianormous. I've never run into an issue where I needed to haul something too large for the cargo space, and I've hauled vanity's, toilets, 7 ft long boards, IKEA boxes, you name it. I'd say the only thing I'm not ecstatic about is a slight buzzing noise coming from the center console that is going to get looked at by the dealer at my 10k checkup. Did I mention that maintenance intervals are 10k miles and are free for the first 30k?"

Had this car two weeks today

By on Monday, May 6, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, interior, sleek exterior"

Cons: "Slow response on throttle"

"I bought my jetta to replace my 2010 Jeep Wrangler 4dr. I needed something safe and better on gas. I am pleased with the gas mileage. I used to get 400 miles on my 22 gallon jeep. Now I get around 415miles on my 14 gallon VW! So much better. I am averaging around 30 MPG city, on the interstate I was pushing 45 MPG. I got the SE edition (Black w/ tan leather) with bluetooth, Sirius Radio, heated seats and ipod hook up in the glove box. I am pleased with my purchase and got the special VW financing 1.6% interest. I would recommend this to anyone in the market. The only complaint I have is it has a little slow response time on the gas. Im not a speed demon so it doesn't bother me. But it looks so nice on the inside and even better on the outside. It reminds me of the Lexus models. The blinkers on the side mirrors are a nice luxury feature. Also, I bought the extended warranty 6yr/60,000 miles."

TDI is exceeding expectations!!!

By on Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pros: "MPG, Looks, Stereo"

"I purchased my 2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI about a year and a half ago. I had not paid attention to this vehicle in a lot of years because I was not a fan of the body lines/persona that it had. So, when I decided to get rid of my 2008 Pontiac Gran Prix GXP it was not in the front of my mind. I had decided that I needed a car that 1. Got good gas mileage. 2. Looked good. 3. Had a manual transmission. 4. Had an awesome stereo and 5. Was economical to do maintenance on. I drove all of the econo cars out there, even ones that I didn't think I'd buy.. just because I didn't want to miss out on something. After 2-3 weeks of test driving/research I'd gone through over 10 cars and had narrowed it down to the Jetta and the Mazda 3. Both had smooth manual transmissions, both had good MPG ratings(was looking at gas Jetta at this time) and both looked good. I looked at pricing on both cars and it was obvious that the Jetta was going to be a better bang for the buck. I ended up deciding on the TDI based on the fact that the fuel mileage/trade in value was far superior to the gas engine. I now have over 20k miles on my Jetta and could not be happier. No problems, averaging over 42 MPG. Thanks Volkswagen!!!"

Worst vehicle ever

By on Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Pros: "Has alot of power and great miliage"

Cons: "not dependable"

"Purchased this car brand new and have had to have it towed to the dealership 4 times for no start issues. Volkswagen does provide a customer service rep to assist with continued issues with the car. Never totally fixed - given different cause for same problem each time. In addition, the windshield washer pump seized up when car only 1 1/2 years old.(Covered under warranty. Lost all confidence in vehicle - looking to trade in and don't care that I will lose money."

TDI is a great car

By on Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pros: "Getting 50 MPG on the highway."

Cons: "Arm rest is about worthless!"

"Very impress with the power of this car. I have a 2005 TDI and this car has 40 more HP! Yet the milage is even better than the 2005 TDI! Some say the ride is not as good in the 2011 as the 2005. I do not see/feel any difference. I have the NAV and all the bells and whistles, except for the DSG, as mine is a manual. The only things I do not enjoy is the arm rest in the 2011! The roof line is lower and it is a little harder to get into than my 05. Yet the ride appears to be softer than the 05, which I like. I have VW diesels since 1980 and drove them all over 200,000 miles before some one else got it. I gave up my 81 VW Rabbit (it had only 54 HP and averaged 42MPG) for the 2011 Jetta, it lasted me 30 years and I think that this 2011 should last me 40!"

A whole lot of car for the money

By on Saturday, September 3, 2016

Pros: "1.4L TSI engine, great gas mileage, comfortable"

Cons: "I couldn't afford to buy a second one for my wife."

Day 1, 30 minutes after driving it home.

"I've had this car a little over a month, but I am in love with it! Base spec comes loaded with a ton of features. The new 1.4L TSI gas engine with the turbocharger is quick and lively. While most compacts are noisy, this engine is quiet. I test drove a Corolla and a Kia Forte and not only were both cars more expensive, they felt CHEAPER inside and out. I know some magazines hate the styling both inside and out. In my opinion, the body styling reminds me of what I like about AUDI (VW's upscale sister company); understated and elegant. In 10-20 years, the Jetta will still look relevant, where a lot of more "stylish" cars with their extra folds and krinkles will look dated. The interior is boring, but comfortable and functional. The controls are simple, easy to figure out, and non-distracting. The connectivity for both iPhone and Android Auto make this a really great work car. The trunk is bigger than anything else in its class. The ride is smooth and firm and the car feels confident on the freeway. I've averaged 28-34 MPG with mixed city/freeway driving. I went for the 6 speed auto over the manual, but it does have a sport mode and a tiptronic mode, which I'll take any day over a CVT (*cough* *cough* Toyota) and it uses an honest-to-goodness lever to select gears, instead of the easy-to-break looking knob (*ahem* Ford and Chrysler). I may still be in the "honeymoon" phase with this car, but I legitimately can't find any complaints with it. VW is selling cheap because of the Diesel scandal, but this new 1.4 TSI might be one of the best small car engines out there. I tend to keep cars a long time and drive them into the ground, so resale doesn't mean that much to me because I'll have it a good decade or more. Forget the haters, this VW is great value if you want a good, brand-new, entry level car with a warranty. Buy now while they're affordable, because when we get on the other side of Dieselgate, prices will go up. Remember when Hyundai and Kia used to be cheap before their reputation got better?"

Day 1, 30 minutes after driving it home.

Exceptional mileage, comfort, looks!!

By on Friday, October 12, 2012

Pros: "Great MPG, comfort & power"

"We have a 2011 Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG transmission and couldn't be more pleased with the car. We have a 2nd home in FLorida and wanted a vehicle that offers a fair amount of luggage space for our trip down. Drop the back seats and you have more room than most SUV's. Tried other vehicles but never found one with seats my wife was comfortable with. The VW offers passenger side lumbar support as well as adjustments for up and down, most comfortable seats we have found in a vehicle in this price range. We average 42-45 mpg on the highway and 35 around town, can go over 600 miles on highway between fillups. The diesel engine is a bit noisey at startup, but once on the road you cannot detect any noise. The diesel has wonderful power, it never down shifts when you hit even the steepest hills, just pulls up effortlessly. Highly recommend this vehicle."

TDI- german engineering

By on Friday, July 8, 2011

"I owe TDI model for about 3 months with 6000 miles. My average mpg is 42 mixed driving. Car is well build with close attention to interior parts fitment (better then my 08 ACCORD).Huge trunk space, good seats, great features, and … . This is sedan with gas mpg of small car and performance of V6 engine."