ZIP code

2011 Volkswagen Jetta

8.4

Based on 358 Ratings for the 2011 - 2017 models.

Unexplainable repairs always needed

By on Sunday, June 22, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, good sound system"

Cons: "Endless ridiculous repairs"

"I bought a 2011 VW Jetta SE sedan in November 2012. It had roughly 12,000 miles. Within weeks, service lights went off periodically. The tire light went off, the check engine/get service lights went off. The horn stopped working and needed to be replaced. Then, the driver's side door handle simply failed to work. The door would not open. When I finally opened it, the door would not latch closed again. In addition, when it hit any temperature below 32 degrees F, the doors would freeze shut (no precipitation necessary). I would eventually get a rear door open and have to crawl through the vehicle to get into the driver's seat. Then, my radio mysteriously stopped working. I had to take this car to the dealer a number of times to fix ridiculous problems like this. It has been a continuous disappointment. This car is HORRENDOUS in the snow. The worst ever. Outside of those issues, it has Bluetooth, heated seats, good pickup, and a good sound system. The controls to the music and phone are on the wheel, which makes for safe, hands-free driving. The car has good leg room in the front and good back support. Unfortunately, the random repairs far outweigh the benefits of my nearly-new VW Jetta. I am looking to trade it in ASAP."

Great Young Professional Car

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Well Equipped, Sporty"

Cons: "High Depreciation, Expensive Maintenance"

"Pros: This car is good for a good professional just starting out in the work force. It was four doors making it ideal for daily living. The sporty features on the car make sure you do not get bored on your daily commute. The turbo makes sure you can have a bit of fun on the weekend. They car comes nicely equipped. Cons: The depreciation is greater than that of its Honda and Toyota counter parts. The repairs and replacement are more expensive than its Japanese competition; however, cheaper than its German competition."

Looking for a solid and economical purchase

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2015

"When I was first looking for a car upon taking an outside sales position I needed the following: great on fuel mileage, would keep up with 25-30k miles annually, easy to maintain, and was overall looking for an affordable option. My 2012 Jetta TDI has not let me down, currently just under 80k miles in my two and a half years of owning it and am so happy with my purchase that I'm looking at getting a Passat TDI now. I drive anywhere from 1-3k miles per month for my job, being able to get 600 miles on a tank highway commute is a timesaver! Best tank to date has been 46 mpg, but usually hover around 41/42 mpg with 80% highway / 20% city driving. Pros: bottom line is fuel mileage!, maintenance only every 10k, quality sound system for the size of vehicle, leg room is adequate compared to other cars in class, great handling, and fun to drive with the turbo, manual shift is butter smooth Cons: Initial purchase price of diesel (break even point is usually about 100,000 miles), maintenance can be a bit pricey (but is only every 10k), doesn't handle great in snow, interior isn't as nice as is past models, leather quality isn't the same as the premium models"

A very good looking car from the outside

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

Pros: "great exterior"

Cons: "no frills interior"

"To make this car more affordable, changes were made with the steering, brakes and throttle. After driving an older version of the Jetta for 7 years these are some noticeable differences. However, I still feel it is a solid car."

I love this car. Exciting and fun to drive.

By on Thursday, April 21, 2016

Pros: "Lots of pros."

Cons: "None so far."

"Sporty. Quiet. Great gas mileage driving conservatively, 30 - 40 mpg. Handles extremely well. Great get up and go when you need it or want to drive aggressively. Solid and well built. Bought new 1 year, 1 month ago with about 12K miles on it. No problems so far."

Good, reliable, no-frills car

By on Monday, June 15, 2015

Pros: "Handling, gas mileage, reliabilitity, VW"

Cons: "Technology, lack of standard features,"

"I have had my Jetta for 1.5 years now. I still enjoy driving it and it is certainly reliable. I have not had one mechanical problem. It also survived just fine in the 2014-2015 Maine winter. My biggest complaints are in regards to the instrument panel and radio display. The panel is very bland to say the least and the display's response time (i.e. how long it takes the system to recognize I just changed the radio station) is slow. It acts like technology from 10 years ago. In an effort to stay within my budget I sacrificed Bluetooth, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, alloy wheels, and heated seats. Even still, for a car that cost about $22,000 I think this trim level should have Bluetooth, better technology, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel. Overall, if you are looking for an affordable compact car that provides a European and classy driving experience, this car could suit you well."

I love VW

By on Saturday, March 14, 2015

"My 3rd Volkswagen I currently own and I love it. I will never own anything besides a VW"

value is artificially low due to VP scandal

By on Tuesday, June 28, 2016

"This was a wonderful car. Great handling, unbelievable miles/gal diesel. When I both it the resale was extremely high. Cars with 100k miles were still going for $20k, especially when gas was $4+. Thanks to the VW scandal the value of this car has plummeted. Thanks VW I paid a premium price for a car that you destroyed. Would I recommend this car. How do you recommend a car that you can not buy anymore."

nearly everything I wanted

By on Saturday, August 31, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, versitle size, good fuel mileage."

Cons: "Turbo lag,"

"I traded my 2005 Jetta TDI wagon for this 2011 car and even though the 2005 was a good car for my needs this 2011 was a great change. The 2005 got better fuel mileage but the 2011 has more power, more comfort, better handling, and more rear passenger room. I would gladly take a trip in this car with four adults. This diesel really pulls away from traffic lights and in general is great to drive in traffic. Interstate driving is effortless and requires attention to your speed or you will find yourself north of the speed limit. There is some turbo lag that takes some adjustment but is not a real issue."

Awesome car and great fuel milage

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "Milage, Fender Audio, Navigation, Power, Handling"

Cons: "Turbo Lag, and diesel smell after filling up."

"I just purchased my new 2013 VW Jetta TDI 3-4 weeks ago and now have 1800 miles. So far the car has been amazing. The engine delivers the necessary power, although there is some slight turbo lag. The Fender Audio system and Navigation are awesome, I've always installed subs in the past but will be sticking with this sound system. The car also handles amazing, it hugs corners and the seats keep you in place. I have no complaints about this car except I hate trying to keep my baby clean:/"

High Gas Mileage BUT High Wind Noise

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"The diesel works as advertised. Plenty of pick up and great mileage. In fact, I would be hard pressed to not go with a diesel going forward. However, there is a persistent wind noise problem (above 60 mph) that has a recall on it. I have had it in the shop 2 times to address this issue and it is no better. If you do a lot of highway travel as I do and you have blue tooth in the Jetta you purchase be prepared for people to ask you about the background noise. This is more than a mere a nuisance noise...it effects the driving experience on the highway. I'd encourage you to google "2011 jetta wind noise problems" and see what you come up with. No issues at all with the car in town."

Superb Vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Pros: "Unbeatable gas mileage"

Cons: "Some interior design and durability issues"

"I drive 140 miles every day. In snow, this car attacks the snow. In rain, it avoids hydroplaning. In windy conditions, it holds to its lane with minor impact. I deal with crazy drivers on a daily basis--it gives me quick acceleration when I need it and safe deceleration as well. You simply cannot beat the gas mileage. It designed with German efficiency and a touch of style. My only regret is that the seats are having a tough time withstanding the crayon, dirty feet, spilled milk launched daily by my 5 year old from the back seat."

Audi A4 performance for VW Price Tag

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Pros: "Sporty yet practical, premium feel for less $$"

Cons: "Missing a few top notch refinements and features"

"I recently traded my high performance Volvo S60R for a 2013 VW GLI. I was hesitant because I had become spoiled by the Volvo's amazing power, luxury options and overall attention to clean design detail. I spent countless hours doing research and decided to test drive a few cars, the 2013 GLI being one of them. I was immediately impressed with the sporty feel of the GLI, the handling and tight road feel were right up my alley, and finding a manual transmission excited me as well. The small details like the red stitching, ergonomically friendly layout of instruments (typical VW) and overall "feel" of the car convinced me to make the purchase. I was surprised by the rear legroom in this car, it is HUGE compared to other cars I looked at. It has more room than the Mercedes E class! I LOVE this car and it is a JOY to drive every day. The only slight drawbacks are: * Small Navigation screen (that said, the "heads up" display in the center panel keeps your eyes forward) * Driver seat adjustments-- lacking lumbar support and the ability to raise or lower the FRONT of the seat itself, I tend to prefer the back of the seat low but the front raised for a more supportive feeling * Rain sensing wipers: I loved this feature on my 6 year older Volvo-- spoiled I know, but I suppose I will get used to it * Multi-disc changer: again, spoiled by the Volvo I suppose Overall, I'd buy this car again in a heartbeat. It is just the right mix of practical and sporty for me."

Best buy in sedans

By on Thursday, January 22, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, roomy and economical."

Cons: "Needs a few more ponies under the hood"

"The Jetta gives you the interior space of a Mercedes C class with the price of a Korean car. The handling is best in class. The warranty was best in class. The 2.0 liter engine is rated at 114hp, yet you can stay with traffic with no problem, and you can wind it out without stressing the engine. I have exceeded epa gas ratings of 24 and 34 with 28 and 37 mpg. The interior is spacious and comfortable, with the rear seat folding flat for cargo and a trunk you can put a couple of bodies in. Included is a full size spare. No inflation kit or compact spare. The car is fun to drive, period."

Luxury reliability and great fuel efficiency for $

By on Sunday, November 10, 2013

Pros: "Cool and great fuel $"

Cons: "Acceleration but it is a diesel..oxymoron"

"Luxury, reliability and phenomenal fuel efficiency w TDI model. Seats are very lumbar supportive and the heated seats to die for."

Great Vehicle

By on Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Pros: "Fun to Drive"

Cons: "Nothing"

"June 1ST I purchased a 2015 VW Jetta SE 1.8 Turbo w/Connectivity and Navigation. Heated seats/Bluetooth/Moon Roof/Rear Camera Graphite Blue w/Black Interior. This Jetta replaces a 2014 Toyota Corolla "S" Premium. I love the Jetta in fact the 1.8 Turbo has a lot of get up and go plus the torque is an added bonus. Since I have only had the car for a short time I am extremely pleased with performance and cabin space. I plan to keep this car for a long time. The Toyota Corolla purchase was not a good choice for many reasons. The biggest negative was the CVT (Continuous Variable Transmission) Very noisy. I like how well the interior switches light up at night. Very easy to see and use. Bluetooth activates quickly. I drive 46 miles round trip to work each day. At present I can't give an accurate fuel economy rating. I would highly recommend this car. Comfortable and a blast to drive."

Perfect car, with a few minor caveats

By on Monday, March 31, 2014

Pros: "fuel economy, handling, comfort, fun to drive"

Cons: "HWY road noise, Nav system, needs better lumbar"

"Love this car's design, economy, torque, and comfort. We have TDI model with all possible options. Only downsides to this car, in my opinion: Navigation system is non-user friendly, and HORRIBLE. Less intuitive than my 7 year old Garmin portable GPS. I would rate Nav system a 3 out of 10. I will replace the Nav with an aftermarket double DIN GPS in the future. Pano sunroof is awesome, but contributes to road noise. 17 inch VW premium wheels/OEM Continental tires contribute to road noise too. Even with our new aftermarket thicker side walled tires, still pretty noisy on most highways. Less highway road noise would be appreciated. Wish front seats had adjustable lumbar support."

4th Volkswagen I have owned. 2nd GLI I have owned

By on Sunday, July 19, 2015

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "sub-woofer rattles in trunk"

"Love every Volkswagen I have ever owned, always fun yet efficient and has lots of room for whatever I need to take with me. Highly recommend any Volkswagen to everyone, especially the Jetta GLI."

A Great Value For The Money

By on Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, roomy, quiet, comfy"

Cons: "no temp gauge, prop rod for hood"

"I now have over 7000 miles on my SE and it drives great! The ride is firm, quiet and comfortable. On a recent trip to the coast we got 39-40 mpg on the highway. My highest mileage was 41.3 and I average 33-34 to and from work. Exterior and interior appearance is simple and functional. I'm not a big "whistles and bells" guy so this car was a perfect fit. The new 1.8T engine has plenty of pep The 6 speed Tiptronic is set up to keep the rpm's low but will get peppy as the gas pedal is pushed. Very roomy. Drives like more expensive car."

I'm not impressed

By on Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Pros: "Roomy interior"

Cons: "Baseline has no power"

"Nothing is this car is meant to last long term. There is a sound coming from the exhaust as if there is a hole in the muffler. I've had the vehicle for 10 months and I'm being told that the rotors are bad. This is not what I was expecting."

60 Highway / 40 City | Quiet Ride | My best car

By on Monday, November 24, 2014

Pros: "60 Highway / 40 City | Quiet Ride | Value"

Cons: "Traction control cannot be deactivated."

"2011 Jetta TDI Sedan w/ Convenience Package, Manual I have traded and driven 9 vehicles ranging from 2009 to 2011 models. This one i have had for the longest at...20 months and 20,000 miles. While the reviews say that the 2011 Jetta is of a lesser build quality, my Jetta is the most quiet ride i've ever been in. I enjoy the simple, yet pretty dash, the quiet ride, and the crazy good mileage. My model in a 2015 year has an MSRP of about 26,000, so maybe 24,000 after discounts. I have yet to find a better value for the money, especially for a new car price. Handles way better and is much more quiet than say.. a 2012ish model Honda Accord EX at about 27-29k new."

A beautiful car!/ very good mileage/Warm & cozy!!

By on Saturday, April 5, 2014

Pros: "Beautiful car! ...see review"

Cons: "no back seat warmers"

"I'm thrilled with it! I do have to say it has not met the quoted gas mileage, at least not for us, however we are in remote area, mountainess,& so we cannot follow all the perfect conditions to get the maximum mileage. We are averaging 39 mpg. Despite the real mpg for us, this is overall a great vehicle. We've had no problems. We've received many compliments on this vehicle. It sure kept us warm this extra cold winter! (too bad back seat passengers don't get the warmed seats) Pickup is fantastic Fendall stereo is really nice. The regenerating hybrid is a marvel...we don't have to plug this one in to any electrical charger! Everyone loves the premium tire rims w/ fan-like design. We currently lease this vehicle, however we currently believe we will buy this one out & keep this one!"

2012 Jetta SEL Premium is Awesome!!

By on Saturday, July 9, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive, beautiful interior, great value"

Cons: "Might be higher maintenance costs"

"Bought the car used from a dealer. Former car was a Camry. As someone who enjoys driving I would definitely recommend this. The 5-cyl engine provides great power and the vehicle handles quite well, better than any sedan you'll drive for the price. Design, interior and exterior, is simple and smart - no unnecessary gadgets, everything you need minus everything you don't. The SEL Premium package includes a sunroof, alloy wheels, the Fender audio system, is bluetooth-enabled, and has built-in navigation. The seats are comfortable and overall the cabin is a pleasant place to spend hours on the road if need be. The trunk is huge - and when I bought mine it came with the VW Cargo system which is essentially plastic dividers with Velcro that you can use to hold groceries, luggage, etc. in place. It looks huge compared to my old Camry's trunk. As for gas mileage, 24 city/31 highway is advertised, but so far I have averaged nearly 33 mpg combined, while never getting less than 27 for a full tank, which I consider impressive due to my driving style. Overall I have absolutely no regrets about purchasing this car. For someone who wants a more dynamic and engaging driving experience, a few essential tech features, and a really nice interior, VW is the choice for you. Despite the diesel emissions scandal, their products are generally of a higher quality than other manufacturers and their gasoline vehicles drive just fine."

Very Good Car

By on Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Pros: "Handling, power, interior design"

Cons: "Interior hard plastics, non-exciting design"

"I bought the 2013 Jetta SE w/Convenience new and am approaching 50k miles. I have really enjoyed this car thus far. One of my main considerations when purchasing this car was driving dynamics. I really love the way the Jetta drives. It's predictable and goes exactly where you want it to go. Handling is spot on. For me the steering is sometimes on the light side, but is better than average. Ride comfort is perfect. Suspension is a perfect tune for everyday driving. Power is better than most in the class. The Jetta is quick and very responsive once on the accelerator. I have the automatic and it is a very good auto; very responsive and very quick to shift. As for the design, for me the exterior is not overwhelmingly exciting, yet very handsome. Interior, the design is perfect; however, the materials could be a little better. The hard plastics on the dashboard have good graining but aren't very appealing to the touch. Seats are very comfortable and everything is laid out where you would expect it to be. The backseat has plenty of room as well as the trunk. A very nice cabin is accompanied by some upscale features such as one-touch windows for all four windows are a plus. The gauges are extremely easy to read. As far as reliability, I have had no concerning issues at all, just common maintenance including oil changes, new tires, and headlight replacements. Overall, the Jetta is a fantastic car for day to day driving and makes even the drive to work more enjoyable than your average sedan."

Great daily driver