2011 Volkswagen Jetta

8.4

Based on 357 Ratings for the 2011 - 2017 models.

Best Car I've ever owned

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "Everything about the car is fantastic"

"I purchased a new 2013 Jetta TDI. I drove it home, (about 200 miles) and right off the bat the vehicle was getting about 42 MPG. The car has performed flawless and has had no problems what-so-ever. I have noticed my MPG has gone up to 45 MPG with just over 3000 miles on it. Being an "Old School" kind of guy, I returned the Jetta for an Oil change at just over 1000 miles. VW requests that the oil be changed every 10000 miles (FREE FOR THE FIRST 3 CHANGES). These TDI's really hold their value. Not one used available in my local area. It seems people love to keep them in the family. The one thing I've noticed. Use CHEVRON DIESEL. Car runs better and the MPG is a little higher. Chevron Diesel does cost more, but the MPG will make up the difference. I'm VERY HAPPY WITH MY JETTA TDI."

Unbelievable Bang for the Buck!

By on Saturday, October 5, 2013

Pros: "Mileage, Turbo Power & Styling"

Cons: "Double Clutch... takes some getting used to"

"I purchased this car for my husband who drives a pretty fair amount. His mom is two hours away and our son in college is nearly seven hours from us. I chose black exterior with cream interior and we couldn't be happier! This car is GORGEOUS! It's rich and expensive looking without the price tag of a Benz or Beemer. And best of all - it's a diesel that boasts over 34 MPG city and consistently gets 52 MPG on the highway! WOW! And that's with a turbo charged 4 cycl engine! It's also well appointed with easy to use options and a well-laid out driver surround. I get car sick sometimes so riding in back with my family is often an option for me. The backseat of the Jetta is quite comfortable. My only issues are the double clutch which takes some getting used to. Also, the Jetta doesn't come with power seats. (One has to upgrade to the Passat to get that feature.) Best car/styling/mileage for $26K on the market! You just can't beat it!"

awful in snow yet powerful in mountains TDI

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "40 mpg, rear seats fold flat, economical"

Cons: "terrible for snowy inclines, seats not ergonomic"

"I'm a purchase researcher when it comes to a car and there's not much mentioned about the TDI Jetta wagon in cold mountainous snow conditions. That's why I compelled to review. I'm considering selling because the uphill snow performance is so terrible. I live in Aspen, CO and drive 13 K per year employed as a private chef. I need to arrive at any location in any weather condition. I have driven this vehicle 3 winters now and cannot rely on it for my business. The crux of the VW Jetta Wagon is going uphill in snow or ice. It just cannot do it, even with brand new studded snow tires, the traction control option turned off, manual shifting, and a running start. Spin spin spin. It's okay in flat or decent of snow, slush, ice as long as that traction control button is off. Poor name for a function that does the opposite! (The manual even agrees). The comparison is with my previous three Volvo ('99, '04, '06) Cross Country vehicles. The VW doubles their fuel efficiency yet doubles the white knuckles. Another downside of the VW is the ergonomics of the seats and steering wheel adjustability. I'm 5'4" lean female. I purchased a cheap 'seat wedge' from BB&B my husband calls the 'Grandma Pad' to supplement the lack of adjustability and comfort of the driver seat. It's annoying after 2 years now to get in the car and first thing adjust the pad to be centered. Oh those Volvo seats are a fond memory! On the positive? It's Fast. Powerful. Fun. In dry conditions. Oh! There I go again. More goodies- the seats fold flat, it's low for the dogs to get in and out of, the price brand new was of great value, super efficient for so much power, there's a dealership 20 miles away (instead of going to Denver for Volvo service), good headlight illumination, the panoramic sunroof has a retractable shade. Yeah, it would be an awesome car for Phoenix, or LA, or anywhere where one drives lots and the sky never snowed... not anywhere I'm going to live. I don't want to go through the hassle of trading in the TDI VW, though I just wrote you all the reasons to. Sigh, a purchase I'm regretting 3 years later."

More bang for your buck!

By on Thursday, May 1, 2014

Pros: "Great price, excellent fuel mileage, timeless look"

Cons: "Could have a better audio system"

"I currently own at 2014 Jetta S Auto that I picked up last month. I know that the "experts" give the S a less than stellar review but I'm here to say differently. Yeah it doesn't have a ton of BHP but I got to tell you that it does get up and go rather nicely. I am in my early 40s and had my fun with high BHP/TQ inline 4s that were turbo or NOS modded when I was much younger. That is not what I was looking for when I bought my Jetta S. I wanted something comfortable to ride in, have plenty of room, get solid gas mileage and look great even standing still. I love this car. It puts a smile on my face every time I walk outside to get in it. I even look out the window from time to time just to admire it. You cannot go wrong with any of the trim levels but if you are looking for something on a budget that still offers the most for your money get a Jetta S."

Not nearly as bad as the critics say

By on Sunday, May 22, 2011

"All the automotive writers say VW has completely cheaped out on the new Jetta, and complain over and over about the fact that the plastic on the dash isn't as soft as it was before, etc., but this is still a nice car. It's plenty quick with the 2.5L engine (wouldn't recommend the 2.0), and the ride is supple yet sporty. The interior is roomy and still has a classier feel than anything else in the price range (even the SE starts under $20K). It has lots of features for the money as well...in my opinion, the SE with convenience package is probably the best blend of price and features. Don't buy the negative hype...this thing is still worth a close look."

Just what I wanted

By on Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pros: "Stlyle, roomy cabin, large trunk, great handling"

Cons: "MPG is only average"

"I got a 2014 Jetta S with automatic transmission. On paper it has the potential to be a good value but with cars you just don't know until the bumper-to-bumper warranty runs out. But VW was offering some attractive end-of-the year deals and the 2-year free maintenance is nice benefit. I traded in a 2009 Jeep Compass 2WD which was a great little crossover. No problems at all in the 4.5 years I owned this car. But I trade about every 5 years and the VW deal was too good to leave on the table. The base model is packed with a lot of features that are options on some cars. This Jetta had everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. I did a ton research before I made the move. I know what the auto critics said about the base VW 2.0 engine -- that it lacks power and it's been around too long. I test drove the S three different times and also test drove the SE with the turbo. My verdict: The turbo wasn't worth the extra two grand. Unless you're into speed and extremely rapid acceleration the good ol' 2.0 is plenty of engine for this car -- perfectly smooth and competent around town and on the interstate. If you want to blow your socks off, get the turbo. Some critics also said the Jetta's cabin had too much hard plastic. Hey, I'm coming from a Compass. The Jetta's interior plastics are altogether acceptable to me. No faux chrome trim or useless affectations. This cabin is roomy and comfortable and the trunk is almost expansive. Both the exterior and interior design are clean and unpretentious. And you get a full-size spare tire. I didn't know any car company did that nowadays. The gas mileage isn't great, slightly better than the Compass. However, I only put about 6,000 miles a year on a car so mpg is not my top priority. If you're considering a compact or even midsize car, don't overlook the Jetta. I'm glad I didn't."

Entry-Level Luxury Car Feel for Great Value!

By on Monday, October 29, 2012

Pros: "Excellent Value/Pleasure to Drive/Good Looks"

Cons: "No Automatic Headlights/Power Drivers Seat-SE trim"

"I have had my 2012 VW Jetta SE with Convenience Package and Sunroof for almost 5 months now. I love this vehicle. I have driven many BMW 3 series and can honestly say that this vehicle provides and performs in line with those. The car feels very well crafted and sturdy yet sporty on the road. It is not the most smooth ride, but still very comfortable and this adds to the sporty factor. Opting for the Convenience package gave me the large touchscreen radio with bluetooth, etc. and this is extremely useful and became a necesity rather than a perk over time. The sunroof is also great! The leather (vinyl) seats have held up well in terms of ware and cleaning, etc. While at only 11,500 miles, I have had zero issues with the car inside and out. If purchasing new, the free scheduled maintenance at 10,20,30000 miles is a plus. My only things that would make this car a perfect ten would be adding Power Driver's seat, automatic headlights, and maybe even push-to-start at the SE level (You have to go up to SEL to get these). Overall, the features and performance of this car make it a pleasure to drive, and I'd definitely recommend it over competition. keep in mind that I chose this car new over a used recent-model BMW 3-series :-)"

One of the best cars I've ever owned!

By on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pros: "gas mileage, fun to drive and very affordable"

Cons: "lack of power seats"

"I typically buy a new car every 2 years or so and have owned Toyotas, Hondas and Subarus. This is my first Volkswagen and am totally impressed with my gas mileage, styling, sportiness and comfort. The only downside is the lack of power seats. Other than that, I have been totally satisfied."

Love this vehicle and it's handling

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

"This is an amazing vehicle. The gas mileage is incredible, and it is a solid, well built feeling car. I had a little dimple in my back bumper and it popped right out after about 24 hrs with no noticeable damage. The handling is phenomenal. Had it not been for the amazing handling of this car, I would have already been collateral damage to 3 accidents on the freeway this year. One in particular, I was amazed at how well it did. The only complaint that I have is that the blue tooth connection is not of the best quality, I still have to use the ear piece usually. Other than that, I love this little car and would recommend it to anyone. It also has all the speed to feel safe merging onto california hwy and freeways."

Best Car I have EVER owned.

By on Monday, November 7, 2011

Pros: "Unbelievable performance per gallon factor. Fun."

Cons: "I can't justify owning two of them. ;)"

"The TDI is outstanding and VW's feel as solid as a single piece of industrial grade granite. I will never sell this car. Absolutely a joy, not a single problem in 22K miles."

Best car that I ever owned

By on Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Pros: "Holds value and dependable"

Cons: "expensive to repair"

"I have owned many different Model/make cars prior to my 2001 Jetta that I purchased in 2001 and I still own my Jetta that has 100000 miles and I love very much. Instead of buying a new car, I decided to have my car fully serviced mechanically and detailed because I do not want to part with it. My Jetta is a GLS with everything, except leather seats. The car handles great in snow and is very dependable. Little expensive to fix when there is a repair that is needed, but it is worth it. A great car that holds great value!!"

A thoroughly enjoyable experience

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive great value exceptional mileage"

Cons: "The icons on the heater control knobs"

"In the summer of 2009 after looking for a TDI for some time I finally acquired my first of two drove this car without a single complaint except for the fact that the original equipment tires were only worth about 15,000 miles. Drove it through a winter and halfway through decided that it needed real Vermont studded snow tires and once equipped with those completely and totally outperformed the Nissan Pathfinder that it was traded for. Remember is a front will as opposed to all-wheel-drive vehicle. I should've known better I've lived here my whole life but was talked into trying the "all season tires" and should of just bit the bullet out of the box. Unfortunately that great car succumbed to a traffic mishap and I am now on my second one, a 2012 with just a couple more amenities than were available in 2010. I really enjoy the Bluetooth connectivity, the MPI/iPod connectivity and the Sirius radio. Mechanically neither of these cars has had as much as a hiccup. Dealer services been exceptional, and they have been wonderful folks to deal with. If I were going to have any complaints whatsoever it would be that without paying too much attention to what's going on you can exceed local speed limits and I constantly find myself wanting to just drive it through the corners and accelerate down the straights. In my view an exceptional vehicle and I recommended to anyone. The only downside is my 16-year-old keep saying "but pops it's a wagon". Need to say the 40 to 55 miles per gallon of diesel make it an exceptional value as well. All in all a great experience and I'd buy another one tomorrow if I needed it."

Poor mans BMW

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "great mpg"

Cons: "none yet"

"love love my new Jetta TDI. I have had 2 BMW's and this drives very similar. Bought the sporty 6 speed manual this time and love it. Can't believe how fast the Diesel motor is and quiet. The gas milage is great have only filled up one time and then only 10 gallons been getting over 40mpg so far."

An outstanding all-around-town car.

By on Saturday, January 26, 2013

Pros: "Transmission, great price, very fun to drive"

Cons: "Winter tires would help"

Classy.

"The 2012 Jetta SE was less of a compromise and more of a confident attempt to get the best car possible for less than $20,000. Equipped with a Manual Transmission, the cars moves quick when it has to, and it's never failed in shifting smoothly under almost any situation thrown at it. There's plenty of room to keep back seat passengers happy, and lots of headroom for taller folks up front. It lacks some of the more upscale appointments like the soft-touch dash of previous models, but the plastics still seem very durable after a year of solid use. Equipped with Bridgestone Turanza tires, the winter handling could use a boost in deep snow, but that may be more the fault of the tires than the car. Overall, still the outstanding car that I picked out since the very beginning!"

Classy.

great features at a great price

By on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pros: "great price, super safe, awesome features"

Cons: "slightly more responsive acceleration needed"

"I love my jetta. More importantly, it just saved my life. I was involved in a car accident in which I was T-boned on the driver's side. If I were driving my old car, I would be in the hospital, if not worse. I am still waiting to see if it is totaled out, but I will buy another jetta if it is. I love the car, and all of the current gadgets and features, ( I have the sel with nav.) I know it is just a car, but I feel a weird connection; it just fits me. Plus, it is apparently really safe!"

A Driver's Car with Benefits

By on Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Pros: "Fund to Drive, Gas Mileage, Composure"

Cons: "Interior Trim a bit to stark for a base model"

"Purchased a 2016 Jetta S with the 6 speed auto in Mid August after owning a 2015 Honda Fit and several Toyota Corollas. Got a great price and zero percent interest. While the car may not have all the bells and whistles, and the interior is a bit stark, I love the driving dynamics of the car and the extraordinary mileage. The 1.4 turbo engine and transmission are well matched and the car is a pocket rocket compared to similar compact cars. The suspension and steering are tight and compliant-much better than the Asian cars. I commute 55 miles to work each way, and am getting over 43 miles per gallon-as good as my previous Fit. The car is very roomy inside and the seats are comfortable. Overall, a great car with a fantastic engine. I glad I went back to VW."

excellent vehicle

By on Monday, May 5, 2014

"the best car ever, solid, stable, reliable, BEST MPG ever 47 MPG at 80 MPH @ 600 miles per week Southern California traffic."

REMOTE and BLUETOOTH AUDIO STREAMING issues

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pros: "Driving Dynamics is very good"

Cons: "Poor quality such remote and bluetooth"

"CAR WAS PURCHASED AT THE END OF NOV, 2013 AT THREE COUNTY VOLKSWAGEN IN NJ. TWO ISSUES WERE NOTICED THE NEXT DAY: (1) REMOTE ONLY WORKS VERY CLOSE TO THE CAR. (LESS THAN 10 FT) (2) BLUETOOTH AUDIO STREAMING FUNCTION NEVER WORK PROPERLY MORE THAN 10MINS. CAR WAS SENT TO DEALER AT DEC 30. I WAS TOLD FEW DAYS LATER: A) NEW PART NEED TO BE ORDERED AND HAD NO IDEA HOW LONG SHOULD I WAIT; B)MORE THAN 12 PEOPLE WERE IN THE WAITING LIST FOR THE BACKUP CAR. I HAD NO CHOICE BUT TOOK MY CAR BACK SINCE I NEED A CAR TO COMMUTE. AROUND JAN. 10, I WAS TOLD NEW PART WAS RECEIVED AND CAR WAS SENT TO DEALER AGAIN. FEW DAYS LATER I WAS TOLD ISSUES WERE NOT SOLVED AFTER REPLACING THE PART AND FURTHER ASSISTANCE WAS NEEDED FROM VOLKSWAGEN. I WAS TOLD THE ASSISTANCE FROM VOLKSWAGEN STILL DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM AND ‘OTHER KIND’ OF FURTHER ASSISTANCE WAS NEEDED FROM VOLKSWAGEN AT JAN. 16. I HAD TO WAIT LONGER. I WAS TOLD ‘OTHER KIND’ OF FURTHER ASSISTANCE FROM VOLKSWAGEN DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM NEITHER AND THE DEALER HAD NO IDEA WHAT THEY CAN DO EXCEPT WAITING. I HAD NO CHOICE BUT TOOK MY CAR BACK AGAIN. TILL NOW, THE CAR HAS BEEN IN DEALER MORE THAN 3 WEEKS WHICH I ONLY HAD OWNED THIS CAR 8 WEEKS, AND THESE ISSUES ARE STILL THERE."

1800 miles in 15 days and started appreciating it

By on Saturday, November 10, 2012

Pros: "MPG, Excellent torque, high interior look"

Cons: "Ugly exterior, confusing controls"

"I traded my wife's Merceded R350 to own our first ever VW because I heard about Jetta TDI's amazing acceleration & MPG. I bought this two weeks ago and genuinely started appreciating this amazing car. I started liking this so much and now my wife drives my Mercedes C300 and this Jetta became my daily car just because of the MPG and not-so-bad all around characteristics this Jetta Sportwagen - just spun 1800 miles in two weeks. From a red-light stop, this car can aggressively sprint ahead of any other car. The S (sports) drive mode is real fun. The ride is surprisingly noise free few minutes after a cold start - except for the low humming of the diesel engine. Very cool!!! Don't expect full speed cornering and other gimmicks. Just slow down a bit. The adjustable central hand-rest is a real joke -it took two days for me to figure out that it can be pulled few inches forward but you still could not rest of right elbow on it. Ooops!! Interior is comparatively looks rich for a non-luxury brand and audio/speakers are mediocre. But hey this VW. I wish they hadn't swapped audio/volume controls to left side of the steering wheel. What a bad choice? I am seriously looking into whether is there a way to swap the wiring between the left and right side of the steering wheels."

Perfect choice for young, first-time owner/driver.

By on Friday, September 7, 2012

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Nothing"

"I gave my 16 YO son a budget for his first vehicle and he narrowed his choices down to the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla and the VW Jetta and some fleeting interest for "the Cube". 500 miles later in a VW Jetta, I am proud to report he had made the best decision... For the "base" model, the car came with lots of features like auto windows, mirrors, CD stereos, keyless entry..etc. What I liked most was front, side and curtain airbags and re-enforced doors. It is a little weak on horse power but that is exactly what he does not need. The manual shift is smooth making learning to drive a stick-shift a little easier. Oh and the 3 year no maintenance cost and 5 year power train warranties didn't hurt either. Absolutely the best, smartest choice for a sensible kid and safety concious dad."

BEST BY FAR vehicle for the money!

By on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pros: "Everything! $, fuel eco, fun, pwr, features,"

Cons: "Hatchback doesn't open by itself, front wheel driv"

"This car is amazing. My previous vehicle was a BMW 540iT, so I am used to cars that are well appointed and well engineered. It rides well, handles well, plenty of power - especially when you need to pass, or get on the freeway. It is thoughtfully designed and has everything you would want in a car. There are only two things that disappoint: front wheel drive (not so much into that), and the hatchback doesn't open by itself. But I am not willing to pay $56k for a BMW to get those things any more... Also, the fuel economy more than makes up for those things. 44.6 MPH... over twice what the BMW would get. I would highly recommend this car to anyone who is looking for it all in one cute car. Love the panoramic moon roof too :)"

Perfect car for me

By on Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, easy maintenance, looks great, VW's are fantastic cars"

"I personally love Jettas and this is my third. My last was a 2002 Wolfsburg edition and I burned the Turbo out or I probably would still have it, but would definitely trade it in for this car. I have the SE with Conv and Sunroof. It drives great, is powerful, looks sleek and stylish, has great options, great warranty, needs oil changed every 10,000 miles, and many other wonderful things that come with the VW family. The one negative (which just is something that takes getting used to) is this is not the kind of car where you slam on the gas pedal and zip off. There is a split second lag before the power kicks in. The car is moving just not with the power behind it. It just takes a few tries getting used to."

Not the Best Car... Not the Worst.

By on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pros: "47-50mpg freeway, comfortable seats, A4 styling"

Cons: "DSG is clunky, 25mpg city, poor interior quality"

Classy! If only it weren't so clunky...

"I have a love-hate relationship with the Jetta TDI (Premium/DSG). As a freeway car it is extremely comfortable, smooth and fuel efficient. On the streets… not so much. A great example is with the diesel milage. Averaging 47mpg is easy on the freeway, even on short trips. When you get to the inner city however, 25mpg is the norm. The longer you can go without stopping, the closer you stay to the speed limit, the greater the reward. Another great example is the transmission, smooth as silk on the freeway, but when you hit the street, the experience is clunky and overbearing. Going 15mph, the car will buck and jump as the DSG decides how it's going to handle power from the engine. If you try to coast to a stop the DSG will immediately try to jump to a lower gear to slow the car down with the engine and make a final bumpy lurch as you step on the brake. This makes city driving as unsettling as it is inefficient. When going down hills the DSG also likes to jump to a higher gear way to early, even while coasting forcing you to use neutral. To make matters worse, the DSG lets a lot of vibration and noise through to the cabin when driving on the street. DSG issues are slightly worse when it is cold and slightly better when it is warm out. The DSG problems subside when you leave it in sport mode, but that severely eats into fuel savings. As far as reliability goes, the car is shaky. Right out of the gate at 900 miles it broke down in a parking lot and I lost almost a full day of work. After that I had intermittent starting problems until summer when they subsided. I've also had trouble with rattles from just about every part of the interior. This is an especially big problem when you play music, even at a low volume every plastic part in the car will hum. Along with the headliner falling down and door moldings coming loose at 4,000 miles, and a software reset at 3,500 miles I'd say interior fit and finish is sub par at best. Heres the bottom line: The car has the looks of a classy A4 and is roomy enough to please any client passenger. The modern touch screen and connectivity features like bluetooth and SiriusXM are fantastic as well. If you drive 80/20 freeway and live in the burbs, you will probably not be hassled with the DSG and experience fuel mileage that rivals the Prius. If you are a 50/50 driver like me that makes a lot of stops, you will be severely disappointed in the performance and ride quality. From an overall quality standpoint I would be wary about claims made by VW. New cars shouldn't break down, have starting problems, or have parts fall off. If you buy it, make sure you load up on extra warranty."

Classy! If only it weren't so clunky...

I love this car, but she doesn't like bad weather

By on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pros: "Great value, fun to drive, beautiful"

Cons: "Standing water/snow decreases traction"

"My beautiful little Jetta SEL Premium has been a pure pleasure since we leased her new. The combination of sophisticated interior, exterior, upgraded wheels & tinted glass as well as Fender sound system makes seeing it in the garage & driving it a complete delight. It is so similar in looks to a Mercedes that I almost walked up to the wrong car once! I know I paid a lot less and have probably a more dependable vehicle. I have discovered, though, Wisconsin weather is not my Jetta's favorite - because of the low profile & gorgeous little front spoiler (lack of ground clearance), any accumulation of precipitation, be it water or snow, makes for a less than sweet ride. We're purchasing a winter vehicle to let the Jetta sit the bad days out. If she continues to be the great car she's been over the last nearly 2 years, I can see keeping her forever. Gas mileage is awesome, creature comforts abundant and just a really fun car to drive. By the way, while shopping for a new vehicle, I was very impressed by how well appointed this car is, with navigation, blue tooth, heated seats & super sound system as well as the other upgrades - making the Jetta SEL Premium an excellent value. I checked the current Kelly Blue Book value, and am very pleased with the number, as my current pay off for my lease is less than that! Love the car."

Great gas milage on TDI.

By on Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pros: "Cheap transportation"

Cons: "Bad rear suspension"

"Car drives and handles well, slightly under powered. Get anywhere from 37 up to on best days 63.3 mpg! I have the 6 speed and it has a lower final gear then the automatic. I am 6.3" and it is a little hard to get in and out but once seated I am comfortable. However rear suspension in particular is to soft and low. Had it in several times to dealer and they say the cars specs are good. I now have to install bilstein after market shocks to solve this problem at my own cost. They lent me a sedan during service and it does not have this problem. Think they would make the wagon more heavy duty but they did the opposite!"