2011 Volkswagen Jetta

8.4

Based on 355 Ratings for the 2011 - 2017 models.

Exceptional German Built Car

By on Saturday, November 3, 2012

Pros: "Great mpg that delivers snappy peformance."

Cons: "Soft rear suspension and useless center armrest."

"This is my 3rd VW diesel. This car has more zip to it than the 2006. The ride is the same, the interior fit and finish are good. The center arm rest is useless and the rear suspension is soft. However, this is the best Jetta yet in my possession. I am a daily commuter of almost 30 miles one way on the interstate. Consistently 49-50 mpg from this car. I like the leatherette seats. I appreciate the layout of the console, instrumentation and the bluetooth. I could list my few minor faults with this car, but the reason I bought another Jetta was because I had exceptional longevity on the first two vehicles. The 2000 and 2006 Jettas were recycled in the family, the 2000 model has over 200K on it and driven daily, the '06 has 102K on it and is driven by my son in college. My wife loves this car because of the handling. I think it handles as well as her Audi and we just got back from a 600 miles round trip on one tank of gas. For 22K this was a good investment. I do not know if it will last like my other two, but I am also a firm believer your car will last as long as it is cared for, treated well, serviced as needed and keep the daughters boyfriend from gettng behind the wheel. I highly recommend this car for those that want a good, dependable, comfortable commute. The satellite radio is top notch, the seats are firm and supportive, the 6 speed manual is flawless and the turbo is responsive with pleny of zip to it for 50 mpg. Oh, and by the way, my daughters Prius cost us more to buy, has much less room, has fewer options and gets the same gas mileage, sometimes less on trips. And I know I will get 200K out of it, and I dont have to worry about that huge cadmium battery that I wonder if can be recycled at all???"

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat!

By on Thursday, January 5, 2012

Pros: "Near Prius MPG with Cool Dad driving appeal"

Cons: "DSG transmission takes some getting used to"

"So to start I've driven trucks more often than anything else but recently moved to a much more urban area and couldn't see myself commuting or even parking my 4 door Tundra in this mess. We had been using my wife's 2003 Corolla as the family car when gas mileage was an issue. I had been eyeing the TDI Sportwagen for about 6 months. I wanted maximum cargo space, performance and over 30 MPG. I test drove the Outback thinking I needed AWD because I was replacing a truck. The 4 cycl maxed out at something like 32 MPG (when you're nursing it) and I wasn't impressed with the power. The next day I test drove my TDI Sportwagen. HOLY SMOKES! The DSG transmission takes some getting used to, especially at low RPMs, but when you put your foot in the pedal it does exactly what you want. Doesn't matter what speed you're at either. I recently drove to Texas with my wife and 2 kids, all of our luggage, plus a full size cooler in the back. We even picked stuff up on the way without any issues or luggage racks. I was averaging 39 MPG while doing 9 MPH or more over the speed limit at all times. I nursed it the first 550 miles and got 46mpg but I got tired of being in the slow lane. When I wanted to pass a truck while doing 80, I blew past them with no problem. I had to watch myself a little bit because you can hit 100mph in no time. (I know I'm a horrible person, blah blah) The steering is very responsive, the 4 wheel disc brakes stop on a dime, the diesel engine is quiet and purrs only slightly louder than a gasoline engine. Not like the old school diesels. The Panoramic sunroof was a huge selling point for me. My kids can look at the sky while I'm driving and see things they never could before. It's gianormous. I've never run into an issue where I needed to haul something too large for the cargo space, and I've hauled vanity's, toilets, 7 ft long boards, IKEA boxes, you name it. I'd say the only thing I'm not ecstatic about is a slight buzzing noise coming from the center console that is going to get looked at by the dealer at my 10k checkup. Did I mention that maintenance intervals are 10k miles and are free for the first 30k?"

Had this car two weeks today

By on Monday, May 6, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, interior, sleek exterior"

Cons: "Slow response on throttle"

"I bought my jetta to replace my 2010 Jeep Wrangler 4dr. I needed something safe and better on gas. I am pleased with the gas mileage. I used to get 400 miles on my 22 gallon jeep. Now I get around 415miles on my 14 gallon VW! So much better. I am averaging around 30 MPG city, on the interstate I was pushing 45 MPG. I got the SE edition (Black w/ tan leather) with bluetooth, Sirius Radio, heated seats and ipod hook up in the glove box. I am pleased with my purchase and got the special VW financing 1.6% interest. I would recommend this to anyone in the market. The only complaint I have is it has a little slow response time on the gas. Im not a speed demon so it doesn't bother me. But it looks so nice on the inside and even better on the outside. It reminds me of the Lexus models. The blinkers on the side mirrors are a nice luxury feature. Also, I bought the extended warranty 6yr/60,000 miles."

TDI is exceeding expectations!!!

By on Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pros: "MPG, Looks, Stereo"

"I purchased my 2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI about a year and a half ago. I had not paid attention to this vehicle in a lot of years because I was not a fan of the body lines/persona that it had. So, when I decided to get rid of my 2008 Pontiac Gran Prix GXP it was not in the front of my mind. I had decided that I needed a car that 1. Got good gas mileage. 2. Looked good. 3. Had a manual transmission. 4. Had an awesome stereo and 5. Was economical to do maintenance on. I drove all of the econo cars out there, even ones that I didn't think I'd buy.. just because I didn't want to miss out on something. After 2-3 weeks of test driving/research I'd gone through over 10 cars and had narrowed it down to the Jetta and the Mazda 3. Both had smooth manual transmissions, both had good MPG ratings(was looking at gas Jetta at this time) and both looked good. I looked at pricing on both cars and it was obvious that the Jetta was going to be a better bang for the buck. I ended up deciding on the TDI based on the fact that the fuel mileage/trade in value was far superior to the gas engine. I now have over 20k miles on my Jetta and could not be happier. No problems, averaging over 42 MPG. Thanks Volkswagen!!!"

Worst vehicle ever

By on Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Pros: "Has alot of power and great miliage"

Cons: "not dependable"

"Purchased this car brand new and have had to have it towed to the dealership 4 times for no start issues. Volkswagen does provide a customer service rep to assist with continued issues with the car. Never totally fixed - given different cause for same problem each time. In addition, the windshield washer pump seized up when car only 1 1/2 years old.(Covered under warranty. Lost all confidence in vehicle - looking to trade in and don't care that I will lose money."

TDI is a great car

By on Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pros: "Getting 50 MPG on the highway."

Cons: "Arm rest is about worthless!"

"Very impress with the power of this car. I have a 2005 TDI and this car has 40 more HP! Yet the milage is even better than the 2005 TDI! Some say the ride is not as good in the 2011 as the 2005. I do not see/feel any difference. I have the NAV and all the bells and whistles, except for the DSG, as mine is a manual. The only things I do not enjoy is the arm rest in the 2011! The roof line is lower and it is a little harder to get into than my 05. Yet the ride appears to be softer than the 05, which I like. I have VW diesels since 1980 and drove them all over 200,000 miles before some one else got it. I gave up my 81 VW Rabbit (it had only 54 HP and averaged 42MPG) for the 2011 Jetta, it lasted me 30 years and I think that this 2011 should last me 40!"

TDI- german engineering

By on Friday, July 8, 2011

"I owe TDI model for about 3 months with 6000 miles. My average mpg is 42 mixed driving. Car is well build with close attention to interior parts fitment (better then my 08 ACCORD).Huge trunk space, good seats, great features, and … . This is sedan with gas mpg of small car and performance of V6 engine."

Jetta owner for life

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "Quality, style, loads of options for less money"

Cons: "Hood no longer stays up by itself"

"After buying my first Jetta 8 years ago, I cannot imagine ever owning another vehicle. They are amazing. The quality cannot be beat, and I love that they are stylish as well. My first was a 2002 Jetta GLS and my new one is now a 2012 Jetta SE w/ convenience and sunroof. I have read the reviews by so called "professionals" and I do not get what they are talking about when it comes to the 6th generation Jetta. Yes, my 4th generation Jetta has a squishy dashboard, but really, who cares? I know of no one that actually rubs their dashboard while driving. And it's not as if the quality of the knobs and other gadgets have suffered; nothing is cheaply made, believe me. The seats are amazingly comfortable, and the car handles great. Professional reviewers tend to review as if the car is meant for a race track, when in actuality what we need is something for every day driving. This car has great pick-up and is so much fun to drive! I actually look forward to my half hour commute to work now. And I'm in love with the look of the car as well. I don't know why some people say this new version is plain; personally, I think they just don't photograph well. The front spoiler is the coolest thing ever. I literally drooled over the first 6th generation Jetta I ever saw. So happy that I finally have one. I will drive this one for at least a decade, then when I finally get my next car, I know it will be another Jetta!"

Exceptional mileage, comfort, looks!!

By on Friday, October 12, 2012

Pros: "Great MPG, comfort & power"

"We have a 2011 Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG transmission and couldn't be more pleased with the car. We have a 2nd home in FLorida and wanted a vehicle that offers a fair amount of luggage space for our trip down. Drop the back seats and you have more room than most SUV's. Tried other vehicles but never found one with seats my wife was comfortable with. The VW offers passenger side lumbar support as well as adjustments for up and down, most comfortable seats we have found in a vehicle in this price range. We average 42-45 mpg on the highway and 35 around town, can go over 600 miles on highway between fillups. The diesel engine is a bit noisey at startup, but once on the road you cannot detect any noise. The diesel has wonderful power, it never down shifts when you hit even the steepest hills, just pulls up effortlessly. Highly recommend this vehicle."

The estamated fuel econamy is an under statment

By on Monday, April 30, 2012

Pros: "500-600 miles to a tank/Very Smooth/nice interior"

Cons: "The delayed shifting/bluetooth phone volume"

"You can easily get 45 mpg on the highway and 35 to 40 in the city. I like to drive fast and normally get like 40 mpg combined. Doing 80 on the highway you easily get over 40 mpg. The only thing I don't like is the way the transmission shifts. It try's to wait as long as it can to shift down then it surprises you. It can easily be fix if you put it in sport mode. For such a fuel efficient car it has plenty of power and for a diesel you can't even hear it. Very smooth ride. The bluetooth phone is nice but you have to have the volume low for the voice and the volume load for the phone conversations. Overall great quality!"