2011 Volkswagen Jetta

8.4

Based on 357 Ratings for the 2011 - 2017 models.

Exceptional mileage, comfort, looks!!

By on Friday, October 12, 2012

Pros: "Great MPG, comfort & power"

"We have a 2011 Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG transmission and couldn't be more pleased with the car. We have a 2nd home in FLorida and wanted a vehicle that offers a fair amount of luggage space for our trip down. Drop the back seats and you have more room than most SUV's. Tried other vehicles but never found one with seats my wife was comfortable with. The VW offers passenger side lumbar support as well as adjustments for up and down, most comfortable seats we have found in a vehicle in this price range. We average 42-45 mpg on the highway and 35 around town, can go over 600 miles on highway between fillups. The diesel engine is a bit noisey at startup, but once on the road you cannot detect any noise. The diesel has wonderful power, it never down shifts when you hit even the steepest hills, just pulls up effortlessly. Highly recommend this vehicle."

TDI- german engineering

By on Friday, July 8, 2011

"I owe TDI model for about 3 months with 6000 miles. My average mpg is 42 mixed driving. Car is well build with close attention to interior parts fitment (better then my 08 ACCORD).Huge trunk space, good seats, great features, and … . This is sedan with gas mpg of small car and performance of V6 engine."

Jetta owner for life

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "Quality, style, loads of options for less money"

Cons: "Hood no longer stays up by itself"

"After buying my first Jetta 8 years ago, I cannot imagine ever owning another vehicle. They are amazing. The quality cannot be beat, and I love that they are stylish as well. My first was a 2002 Jetta GLS and my new one is now a 2012 Jetta SE w/ convenience and sunroof. I have read the reviews by so called "professionals" and I do not get what they are talking about when it comes to the 6th generation Jetta. Yes, my 4th generation Jetta has a squishy dashboard, but really, who cares? I know of no one that actually rubs their dashboard while driving. And it's not as if the quality of the knobs and other gadgets have suffered; nothing is cheaply made, believe me. The seats are amazingly comfortable, and the car handles great. Professional reviewers tend to review as if the car is meant for a race track, when in actuality what we need is something for every day driving. This car has great pick-up and is so much fun to drive! I actually look forward to my half hour commute to work now. And I'm in love with the look of the car as well. I don't know why some people say this new version is plain; personally, I think they just don't photograph well. The front spoiler is the coolest thing ever. I literally drooled over the first 6th generation Jetta I ever saw. So happy that I finally have one. I will drive this one for at least a decade, then when I finally get my next car, I know it will be another Jetta!"

Love my car!

By on Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive, solid, great price, low maintenance"

Cons: "It won't last forever :("

"In light of all the stigma attached to VW Diesels these days, I still love my car. I tested it two years ago and was able to successfully drive at 70 mph 1,083 miles on one tank of diesel fuel traveling from NC to NH. I probably had another 80 miles I could have driven on the same tank but I didn't want to chance it at that point. My Jetta is a safe, reliable, comfortable six-speed manual with amazing turbo power, a great moonroof and I truly 'got what I paid for.' The car is solid, holds the road well (I got 67K miles on the original tires!), doesn't require much maintainence other than the standard warranty and that covers most everything. I'm at 82K miles on the same set of brake pads and my clutch is holding great. VW makes a great car and although the stigma is here, I still stand with my car as a reliable purchase in 2013, value for dollar. I average 47 mpg city and 55-60 mpg highway. I don't like that I might be polluting the air more than needed but it's still a great car and I know that VWGOA will do right by the people and their cars. I am certain other companies have the same issues but just haven't been caught yet but who am I to judge? I love my car and I think anyone who wants a diesel and a stick should look at the Jettas, a roomy sedan with a sporty feel."

The estamated fuel econamy is an under statment

By on Monday, April 30, 2012

Pros: "500-600 miles to a tank/Very Smooth/nice interior"

Cons: "The delayed shifting/bluetooth phone volume"

"You can easily get 45 mpg on the highway and 35 to 40 in the city. I like to drive fast and normally get like 40 mpg combined. Doing 80 on the highway you easily get over 40 mpg. The only thing I don't like is the way the transmission shifts. It try's to wait as long as it can to shift down then it surprises you. It can easily be fix if you put it in sport mode. For such a fuel efficient car it has plenty of power and for a diesel you can't even hear it. Very smooth ride. The bluetooth phone is nice but you have to have the volume low for the voice and the volume load for the phone conversations. Overall great quality!"

Good car for the money

By on Saturday, November 3, 2012

Pros: "Fun 6 speed manual with 50 mpg!"

Cons: "Center arm rest too far back and tilted down."

"My parents purchased me a Silver VW Jetta Diesel. It is a 6 speed manual and I absolutely love it. It is a sharp looking car, it has all the friendly green options I love (leatherette seats and 48-50 mpg consistently). I get to go green and this car has acceleration I never expected from a diesel and will leave a Prius sitting in the dirt!!! It has the black interior with black BBS wheels my dad put on it for me. The satellite radio and bluetooth are a blast to own. It has multiple airbags, front wheel drive, stability and traction control, a huge trunk and room for 4 adults. I am in my last year of college and this car is a nice vehicle to drive home in and get around the campus. It looks "expensive" on the inside. Like it is a much higher priced car. It is very solid. And the gauges at night are so cool to look at (red) and I can see out of it very well. This car was not the higher priced VW with all the options out there, and I have the TomTom navigation in place but for less than 24K, my folks couldn't have bought me a nicer car. Everybody at school loves it and I hope I get as many miles out of it as my parents do from their Passat Diesel."

not so sure on this car

By on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

"I have owned this car for about a year and a half but I have had to have it towed to the dealership twice...The first time at 8,000 they said the fuel injectors needed to be replaced..The second time was at 21,000 and this time I was told it was a wiring switch that the ignition used..I am worried because the warranty on this car goes at 30,000..I am hoping to read more reviews.."

Great Practical Car

By on Monday, January 3, 2011

"My second TDI wagon ( 1st. was '03 ). '11 does eveything better. 48 MPG on 1st. highway trip."

Best car that I ever owned

By on Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Pros: "Holds value and dependable"

Cons: "expensive to repair"

"I have owned many different Model/make cars prior to my 2001 Jetta that I purchased in 2001 and I still own my Jetta that has 100000 miles and I love very much. Instead of buying a new car, I decided to have my car fully serviced mechanically and detailed because I do not want to part with it. My Jetta is a GLS with everything, except leather seats. The car handles great in snow and is very dependable. Little expensive to fix when there is a repair that is needed, but it is worth it. A great car that holds great value!!"

Awesome Car (TDI version)

By on Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pros: "Mileage, Comfort, Convenience"

"This is a great car. I find myself not wanting to get out of it. The MPG blows everything away. There is no mileage loss compared to a Hybrid and you have the power of a traditional car. There is no noise factor. The engine has a slightly different pitch compared to a traditional car but the noise level is the same or less. It is plenty roomy but I haven't spent much time in the back seats. My only gripe but I figured out how to get past it, is the diesel delay,but rather than gunning the engine be slow and methodical and the engine responds like any car. It is a great car."

Great fuel economy with a comfortable ride.

By on Monday, October 8, 2012

Pros: "Great fuel economy. Good comfort and ride."

Cons: "Small switches and controls."

"I purchased the car in February and I have just under 10K miles on it. It is a Jetta Diesel TDi with the 6 speed manual transmission. Overall, the car is very competent. It rides and handles very well and the seats are comfortable. The engine develops plenty of power and is quiet and smooth. The seats can use just a touch more lumbar support for longer trips. The measured-at-the-pump fuel economy runs between 42 (the first tank) to 48 MPG. It continues to improve as the car beaks in. Most of my driving is on mountainous backcountry roads. Highway mileage looks like it will be better than 50 MPG if you stay near the speed limit. The computer overestimates the fuel economy by about 5%, which is the difference between straight diesel and diesel with methanol in it. The car had a manufacturing defect (the fuel lines were installed backward) that kept it in the shop for a month. VW did make a car payment for me and also helped with some other expenses. Other minor complaints are the fuse panel cover buzzes and the plastic covers in the trunk tend to fall out. The switches and controls are clearly designed for someone with small fingers; I am not a big person and I have trouble using the switches when driving. There is a space in the back of the driver’s door map pocket that is big enough for your wallet to side into and get stuck. I put some foam in the space to keep this from happening again!!! I would recommend this car to anyone looking for great fuel economy. The car rides and handles better than my sisters Prius and it gets better fuel economy."

A Great Car

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pros: "Great mileage, roomie, comfortable, quiet, smooth"

Cons: "Small in-cabin storage, vinyl seats"

"I've owned my 2010 Sportwagon TDI for almost 2 years now and couldn't be happier with it. It's not perfect, but overall, it's been a delight to own and drive. My driving is mixed between city traffic and freeway, and I don't think I've ever gotten less than 38 mpg on a tank. Wish there was an upholstery choice other than the vinyl, but it does look like leather, just doesn't breath like leather. In cabin storage is a bit lacking, and the location of the 12-volt power point isn't convenient, but the way the car drives makes up for it. Plenty of power, great brakes, quiet smooth ride.... and of course the great mileage. One could easily get 50 mpg on the highway if speeds are kept below 70, but what fun is that?"

German Engineering on an American Budget

By on Monday, January 9, 2012

Pros: "Aggressive styling, mature, great mileage"

Cons: "Odd transmission, push button start?"

"The newly redesigned base Jetta has the Volkswagen community in an uproar. Whether it is a critique of the nonchalant exterior styling or the less than adequate performance numbers, the negative feedback was clear- and Volkswagen listened. Back from hiatus, the 2012 Jetta GLI outperforms almost every car in its class (with the exception of it's 5-door sister, the GTI.) From the ground up, the new GLI strikes an aggressive chord in almost every category. The styling alone begs the driver to let loose on the throttle and have some fun because "fun" is what this car does exceptionally well. Strap on the Autobahn package and a spoiler lip and you will notice the crowd-pleasing glances on the road. The interior quality is unmistakably sporty but refined enough to blend in. Red stitching throughout gives the interior a distinct edge. Materials have a genuine feel and are soft to the touch. Ergonomics and overall interior design is intuitive and easy to navigate, but without question, the sports steering wheel is what will win your vote over everything else. It just feels right...sooo right. The car offers a strong, solid ride with noticeably little wind noise on the highway. The independent rear suspension really does allow the car to hug corners. Others might disagree with me, but I can't remember ever liking the sound of a 4-cylinder engine more. The exhaust note on the 200hp TSI engine gives me goose-bumps (and that's coming from a guy in love with throaty V-8 engines.) The DSG transmission takes some getting used to, but is snappy and responsive when you need it to be. If there is a negative quality about this car, it would be the drivetrain. Not because it isn't good, but because it does require some mental tuning at first. Test drive one- you'll understand. Volkswagen got this one right. Hopefully, the 2012 GLI quiets some of the negative chatter about this generation of Jetta. It's the kind of car that turns heads when you want it to but doesn't scream for attention everywhere it goes. Sipping gas while surging at stop lights is a wonderful combination. If you're looking for a car that will get you where you need to go in a fun but mature way, the 2012 GLI is right up your ally."

excellant value

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "vaule, german build quality"

Cons: "road noise"

"I buy a new car every other year and drive about 30k miles per year for work, this had been the best value for the money i have spent in the last 12 years. Great mileage great syle/looks and decent power compared to the hybrid cars in its size class. the other big plus is when this car reaches the end of its life there will not be a pile of heavy metal laden batteries rotting in the trunk that will need to be "recycled". Why hasnt America got into the small diesel market like europe. 40 mpg is normal. The only downside is the road and wind noise but its still not as load as other cars in its class (Focus, Prius, Hyundai) and it looks a lot nicer as well."

Most Useful Vehicle I have owned

By on Thursday, February 27, 2014

"I am a grandpa in my 60s but I love cars and have owned many brands and styles including sports and convertibles. The Jetta TDI with the manual shift I have is fantastic. It is quick and nimble because it is light and has the turbo and the manual and it is actually fun to drive. But it is still a four door family car. I haul grandkids and there is plenty of room for three in rear; the trunk is huge about 15+ cu.ft- and the seats fold down, you can put big long stuff in there. I have Nav, Blue tooth, leather, good sound, power driver's seat, all for about $26k. I love BMW 3 series, but this car is 1/2 the price and a great value. But main reason for owning this car is the mileage. On diesel (yes it costs more) I get 30mpg combined and 40+ highway. I fill up a couple times a month and can go 450-500 miles on a tank."

Best car that I ever owned

By on Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Pros: "Holds value and dependable"

Cons: "expensive to repair"

Good fuel economy, gets dirty at rear-end

By on Thursday, January 3, 2013

Pros: "stable, solid build"

Cons: "more charging ports required"

"Review after 15000 miles with "conservative" driving habits. Mileage in city ( 4 miles to work) is 30 mpg, and Mileage on freeway with average speed of 65 mph (SFO to LAX) is 38 mpg. In stopped traffic (3 hours), this vehicle consumed only 1 gallon of diesel. (I am impressed by this - Stuck in a snow storm for 3 hours in Big Bear, CA, and this wagon practically did not use any fuel). This is a very stable wagon, and you'll very safe inside it. 4 issues I've with this vehicle : 1). Acceleration is not similar to gas/petrol cars - and there is a lag in acceleration. 2). Fast accumulation of dirt on rear-end (within 1 hour of freeway driving). After researching on various forums, it seems that it is because of aerodynamics, and not actually soot from fuel. Anyways, something to keep in mind when shopping for hatchback/wagen style vehicles. 3). Only single 12v charging port in passenger compartment. There is another 12v charging port in luggage compartment, but I've never used it. On long distance, both my wife and I need to charge my phone, but only one of us can use it at a time. 4). (Actually not an issue yet). But you may not be able to connect iPhone 5 (new connector) as a media device."

We love it

By on Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pros: "Fuel economy, driving experience, power, reliable"

Cons: "More plastics than previous, but better."

"We've had the car a little over a year and couldn't be happier. My wife commutes daily from Pasco to Pinellas and back, hence the 37k in a little over a year. Fit and finish is very nice. Everything is holding up well, especially compared to MK4 VW's. There are more plastics now, but the quality of them is far superior to previous models and hold up well to the daily commute and time with family and dog. The TDI gets better than advertised economy and pulls hard for what it is. Passing is a breeze. If we don't buy the new Passat TDI next, we would definitely buy another Jetta TDI. They are a joy to drive own and drive."

my wife love it!! I would rather have a 6 sp manu

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "great VW fun to drive great size lots of room"

Cons: "Nav awful so is arm rest."

"The Nav system is awful!! Has all kinds of wrong information. The arm rest us too far back to be of any use for a shorter person. Gets over 51 MPG on trips and aroud 45 city. This is my 7 Deisel. It has replaced my 96 Passat TDI which has over 468,000 miles and is now the back up car."

Electrical computer errors ruins great car

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, fun, great mileage"

Cons: "Repeated computer electrical problems"

"I wanted to love my Jetta, I really did. I thought it was an amazing deal for the money, and it's a blast to drive. Unfortunately I've had one computer and/or electrical problem on my particular car after another, and will be selling this. Engine light comes on randomly, cruise control stopped working, MP3 support was never turned on at factory before delivery, and now I have to attempt to start the car 3-8 times before it even tries to turn over. This may be a great car and I have the one problem child, but I"m over it."

2012 Jetta SE

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "Great styling, clean interior design, handling"

Cons: "No HD radio, center armrest"

"I recently purchased a 2012 Jetta SE with Conveience package. Black exterior with corn silk interior. The convince package adds all the neccesites like bluetooth, leatherette seats (same as the 328i or MB C300), and 16 inch alloy wheels. The car looks sharp, with definite styling cues from the Audi line. I drive a 2003 Toyota Corolla for the last 8 years - so...I'm not sure what all the 'auto magazine' complaints are about when it comes to the interior. For the price point, the interior is very well done, and I prefer the simpler European styling to the overly angular and almost cartoon interiors of some of the Japanese or Korean cars, even some new Fords for that matter. The biggest complaint most reviews have is about the lack of 'soft touch' dashboard and doors. I don't know about you, but I don't regularly caress my dash, so I really don't see the concern. The 2.5 L engine provides more than ample power for a small car and has a nice tone. Six speed auto quickly and smoothly shifts thru the 6 gears. Too soon to review the reliability, but I did buy an extended warranty to 60k to cover myself, on our firs foray into German automobiles. Bottom line - good car at a price that is competitive with Corolla or Civic. Check it out."

First VW - most likely not my last!

By on Monday, June 27, 2011

Pros: "Roominess, Fun to Drive, Great Value"

"After months of reading reviews, I finally gave the 2011 VW Jetta a test drive. I don't know what these "professional reviewers" are thinking...I was sold on the first drive. VW may have "cheapened" the interior from previous models, however it still looks great. I personally would rather the changes that VW did than cost cutting things like sound dampening, engine, or safety features. The car is plenty quick, and is a joy to drive. Even more so with the speed....err..I mean sport mode. The car handles great and runs true. I have put on 9,450 mile on this car in 6 months and has been nothing but comfortable, and reliable. I have had many friends tell me how they could not believe how comfortable and good looking the car is. Many of which are not fans of VW, constantly tell me how much they like the car. On top of the great car, is the great service I get from VW. Their sales staff are a pleasure to work with and made this the best car purchase I have ever had."

you MUST test drive this car!

By on Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pros: "many ppl think styling is bland, but i LOVE the styling!"

Cons: "no button to turn off stability control"

Parked at my work, love the black pearl paint and the 18 inch rims!

"So I recently got engaged and decided to sell my 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6-speed manual, which I loved. I looked at the following: Kia Optima, Chevy Cruze, Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, Honda Civic, BMW 3-series, Jetta, and Acura TSX. My criteria: had to be 4 door sedan, and had to be manual transmision, and had to be within my price range (below $30k). I get so tired of salesmen trying to sell me on tiptronic fake manual transmissions! I test drove all of those cars, and I was very close to getting kia optima turbo, however, the only way to get a 6speed was getting the base model with plastic hubcaps. I went to VW with my fiance, we drove the 5 speed SE Jetta, and was bored. Then... I saw the GLI and was instantly in love. The exterior and interior was incredibly sexy, nice body kit, the GLI is lower by, I think, .6 inches, and the 18 inch rims just was icing on the cake for me. The red-stiching interior on the black leather was also awesome, and there was a noticible difference and improvement in initial quality of interior - dashboard, steering wheel, seats, center console, and even the odometer was sexier! The 6-speed gear box was incredibly smooth, and although my fiance cannot drive a manual, she new how to change gears when I told her to and she was even amazed at how much fun it was. The suspension was much improved to the Jetta SE, and the ride, the turbo engine, and sound of the engine/exhuast was all amazing. She knew after my 3 weeks of research I had found my match. The Fender-sound system is amazing and also has a great sub to add incredible bass if you like, the back seat is huge, as most reviews have pointed out. I just returned from Charleston, SC for a wedding and it was a fantastic road trip car, drove 6 hours there and 6 hours back... and not to mention the head turns I would get from others (driving Auidis, other Jettas, BMWs, and even one guy driving a Porchse!) all their heads turned as I would drive by. The 0-60 is a bit slower than my 2006 G35, however, it doesn't FEEL like it at all! The turbo is fun to drive and I highly recommend test driving this car!!!"

Parked at my work, love the black pearl paint and the 18 inch rims!

Best kept secret in the States

By on Thursday, June 2, 2011

Pros: "All around great car, eco friendly"

Cons: "Unexpected speeding tickets"

"My 2011 TDI was the best all around car buy available. Almost 240 lbs of torque and over 40 mpg - are you kidding me? The backseat and trunk are super roomy and fit adult Americans comfortably. The layout of the instrumentation is practical and sensical. The heated seats are comfy. The safety features make it a top safety pick. 10,000 between oil changes and care free maintenance for 30,000 miles. Its appearance is sporty, yet practical - an understated expression of boldness. Bluetooth, iPod adapter, etc. There is a good distance between the TDI and other Jettas, but Volkswagen has made a believer out of me."

No suprise here

By on Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"I had a 2001 Passat or should I say my wife had it and LOVED it. We tried to buy a TDI two years ago but couldn't get anywhere close to a decent deal. That changed in Dec 2010. We made a deal on the sportswagon TDI to replace my Honda van which was getting about 18 mpg city and I wanted something big enough to haul stuff but wanted to get good MPG .Drove from SE Wisconsin to South Texas using two and a half tanks of deisel, average fill was 11 gallons, an average of 44.7 mpg. VERY comfortable to sit in for 10 plus hours. The odometer and trip meter stopped working and when I got back was fixed by replacing the whole unit. Other than that I average 38.5 city/highway driving. Oh and my wife took over my Sprotswagen she LOVES it and it has MORE than enough get up and go for either of us."