2008 Volkswagen Jetta

Based on 1056 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

This is an amazing little car.

By on Sunday, April 1, 2012

Pros: "Handles great! Gas mileage is awesome. Sturdy."

Cons: "weird electrical things go on but I bought it used"

"My 2007 is more fun and easier to drive than my new 2011 Jeep Compass, (though the compass is great!) Handles very well through the windy roads in Bodega Bay and gets about 270 miles on a full tank around town and 300 freeway. I believe the tank is around 12 gallons (??). I bought this car used and it was a rental car in it's previous life. There is a weird electrical thing that goes on at times with it; hard to explain but it has to do with the lights going on after disarming the alarm. Sometimes the lights go on when you open the door, and sometimes they don't. I am sure it's from some sort of abuse the rental car life had on it and it's not major so it doesn't really bother me. The 2.5 5 cylinder engine really has some great "get up and go". Jumping on the freeway is never an issue. The Jetta gets right up to speed to merge without any argument."

We love this car!

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "comfy, fun to drive, safe, economical"

Cons: "not enough cup holders or CD storage"

"We traded in an old GM sedan for the Diesel Jetta Sports Wagen. I have never been happier with a car in my life! The car is comfortable. It handles beautifully and brakes in less distance than any car I've ever owned. We do a lot of highway driving, even in New England winters, and feel very confident in this car's safety. The best part is that it gets 40 mpg on the highway. We fill up half as often as we used to, which more than makes up for the higher per gallon cost of the Diesel fuel. It is easy to find Diesel in the Boston Metro area and, of course, along the highways. The interior is well-appointed. The rear seat can be reconfigured in various ways to accommodate furniture, 6-foot planks, and the like. I love the sliding sun roof and the excellent sound system. The car has an amazingly small turning radius for its length. What's not so great about it: some minor details. The hands-free bluetooth cell phone interface doesn't have all the features we expected; you can receive a call without touching the cell phone, but you need to at least activate voice control on the phone"

Great gas mileage

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Gas Mileage"

Cons: "Snow conditions"

"I bought the car for its gas mileage and it delivers at 30 MPG every time I gas up. If you're living in a snowy climate though, you better get studded tires. The car just isn't heavy enough without them."

Best Bang For My Buck

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "Who said you can't get Price, Quality and Mileage?"

Cons: "2012 fully decked out Passat (US made) is cheaper"

"It's been two years since I bought this car and I'm still in love with it. Most of my friends raised an eyebrow when I told them I got a station wagon... that is, till they sat in it and felt its powerful torque. PERFORMANCE: Driving is crisp, it handles very well and translates anything the front wheels get in touch with to the steering wheel. Acceleration is powerful, considering the price you pay. Drove a MB C300 for eight months prior to this car, and I have to honestly say that I like the VW better: the nature of the 4-cylinder engine makes it more responsive, it downshifts faster, and accelerates just as fast. The 6-speed DSG is amazingly smooth, though it can get confused at times, especially when driving very slow (like in parking lots, or stop and go traffic)-sometimes jumping around 1st and 2nd. I never had a single gap that I wasn't able to shoot into when passing on highway speeds. The car runs soft and very comfortable. Where I'm from (TX), Diesel costs more than Premium, but the mileage is excellent and totally worth the upped price in gas and the trim (TDI). INTERIOR: The interior is nice and very well engineered. The seats give just enough lumbar support and on long drives, my bladder gives out way before my back hurts or needs re-positioning. Great comfort! Have a toddler seat in the back, and as a 6-foot tall driver, my boys feet can touch/push against the back of my seat. Doesn't bother me, and my friends claim its way more comfy in the back than in many other cars they rode in. The dash and on-board computer are very simple to use, and there's great view lines all throughout the car. Blind spots are very minimal. I love how I can get my own mix on where the air from A/C flows: most cars have fixed settings where you can pick between a)all air through dash vent, b)all air through windshield vent, c)all air into where your feet are, or d) a mix between dash vent and feet vent. This car you can use a dial to mix your own ratio of air between front/windshield, or front/feet, or feet/windshield. Storage is amazing! I honestly don't know why people would go for the more expensive Tiguan that gets lesser mileage and has lesser storage!! This car just has it all. COMPLAINTS (just coz I have to be honest) There are times on the highway when it's windy when I wish the inside driving noise was a little lower. But, when I start hearing that wind, I turn the volume up just one or two notches and its taken care of. It would be nice to have one more cigarette lighter power outlet. There's only two available: one in-dash, and another in the cargo in the back. Maybe add one in the center console under armrest? Though the 110v outlet for a regular plug does more than make up for it. On VERY hot Texas summer days (100F ), the car does get a little hot, especially with only a cloth covering the full roof length sun-roof (or moon-roof? I never know the difference). A "as-dark-as-legally-possible" window tint pretty much fixed that for me though."

Exceeded expectations

By on Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pros: "Great car, very fast acceleration with TDI"

Cons: "nothing worth mentioning"

"This car feels like a much more expensive car based on looks and performance. The Turbo Diesel engine makes this essentially a performance car. You have to be careful when at a full stop that you don't lay on the accelerator too hard or you will chirp the tires. Great handling, interior is perfect, and the trunk... wow can you get a lot of junk, I mean stuff, in the sedan trunk. A family of four can pack all they need for long road trips without a problem... no mini-van needed. Mileage, the big question, is usually around 40 MPG for hilly 70 mph commutes, but road trips on relatively flat roads has been 48-49 MPG. Cons: not much... the usual irritating loss of air in aluminum rims (not unique) and no warning when you leave the sun / moon roof open... again not unique. Snow performance with good snow tires has been GREAT in winters, which was our major worry after owning a vehicle with All Wheel Drive. Super car that feels like a sports car, but works for a family of four."

I liked my car, until it died...

By on Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"I loved my Jetta. It was fun to drive, comfortable and got decent mileage. Then it started having problems around 100k miles. In a span of 2 years I've had to replaced tires, power steering pump, fuel pump, water pump, brakes, and struts. Last week at 118k miles, by main body wire harness inexplicably shorted. The "gain controller" essentially melted. Every dealer I talk to says that it will be over $7500 to replace/repair. Good bye Jetta. I'm moving to a brand that has cheaper repairs."

GreaT CAR!!

By on Thursday, May 20, 2010

"TDI 2006: I would recomend this car to anyone who needs a good dependable and fuel effient car! The car gets around 42-46 MPG city/highway AVG...I have had no problems at all..GREAT CAR, I now have 71,000 mile on it and have only changed the oil, tires/brakes onces."

Maintenance cost are very high

By on Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"I have had to replace all four tires once and the rear brakes twice and it is just now about to cross 36,000 miles. They replaced the brakes the first time under warranty and claimed to have fixed a problem. Then I got fewer miles on the second set and had to pay for that repair. I got no satisfaction from the VW regional customer service manager when I claimed that the vehicle is flawed. This was my first(and last) VW."

WOW We can V-dub

By on Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"I have had the GLI Fahrenheit ed yellow ride for a week now and im still saying wow. I love the way it drives. Totally the quickest car I have ever owned. The sportiest thing too. I cant wait to go back and pick one out in red for the wife who loves it too. Plenty of room through out and comfortable. I love the gas mileage around 25 in town. The kids are in love w it to. They call the car bumble b. German engineering rules. Driver found!!"

my 4th!

By on Monday, January 19, 2009

"My 4th Jetta TDI, like the 3 before it, does not fail to deliver! Quality is evident in all aspects. Reliability is assumed. Performance is further enhanced with the revised version of the power plant. Economy continues to improve with 45 mpg in highway driving. To my mind, a hybrid vehicle with 2 engines doesn't compare!"

'08 Wolfsburg Ed rocks

By on Tuesday, December 16, 2008

"Bought new loaded Wolfsburg Ed end of Feb and have been very happy w/transmission and electrical system. Formerly owned new '03 Jetta and '04.5 special edition New Beetle and the 1.8T engine build was responsive, but had many buggy issues, mainly w/the electrical system (such as seat heater thermostat control which would burn a piece of paper (hey - that can ignite your clothes on fire!), blown fuses, dash light (brake sensor and check engine) issues, non-impact side mirror and driver's side window falling out. The 200 h.p. German engine build on the 2.5 litre New Jetta has none of its predecessors issues. Plus, it has nicer creature comforts, and more safety features. Pros: Responsive pickup, smooth braking and excellent turning radius, self-correcting steering to 6 degrees, ESC, good climate control, leather seats, and 60/40 pass-thru w/ski insert; great trunk room, a back seat that will actually hold 3 people comfortably. Cons: Premium gas. I do get @ 21 mpg combined. No electronic starter or built-in garage remote sensor. No automatic climate control, nor Bluetooth. Road noise in cabin could be further reduced."

excellent for the money

By on Sunday, October 5, 2008

"I bought the Jetta after a year of researching similar vehicles in it's class and price range. I was looking at the Hyundai Sonata and Elantra, Ford Fusion and Focus, and Nissan Sentra. The Jetta blew them all the away. It comes standard with so many amenities and safety features and the price ended up being less than the competition on the dealer lot. The car is so intuitive and comfortable to drive. I love the 5 speed, shifting is effortless and just plain fun. I wanted a base Jetta, but since the Wolfsburg was the only one available, I found that for the price difference with all of the things I would get in return, it was still a bargain. The heated seats are a must in the winter- I didn't need them, but I love them. The moon roof is also a great way to get fresh air but cut down on road noise. Others have said the engine is loud and odd sounding, which is true if your are not used to a VW, but you get used to it. The brakes squeak when it's cold, which made me nervous, but after having them inspected at the dealer and speaking to other Jetta owners I've discovered this is normal. The car is very torquie, which for me is a must. I would have liked more horse power, but the torque really makes up for it. Overall this car is stylish, safe, comfortable, and most of all fun. I highly recommend it. Now that I've driven a VW, I may never go back to anything else."

i love my jetta

By on Monday, October 29, 2007

"i have had my jetta for 2 years. i have had no major problems. at 15000 miles i had to have the brakes replaced and an allignment. and i beleive there is something wrong with the transmission, it shifts hard from 1st to 2nd (cars an automatic), but they keep telling me its fine. over all i love my car and would not trade it for anything shy of a 2008 benz."

Love My Jetta!

By on Wednesday, August 8, 2007

"I feel that I got a great value for my dollar with my 06 Volkswagen Jetta. I highly recommend the Jetta when looking at 4 door Sedans. In comparison to other vehicles, I was able to get more features for the money I spent. The styling is second to none. I feel like I am in a luxury vehicle with features like automatic windshield wipers, "homelink", power seats, heated seats, automatic climate control, XM radio. It is great on both long and short dirves and handles great. The "new" body style is much roomier than the earlier models as well and can sit 4 adults comfortably."

love,love,love

By on Friday, August 3, 2007

"I absolutelty love the jetta. I had an 03 model and the biggest mistake I ever did was to let that car go. I thought I need a bigger car for my family of 4, I was WRONG! There is plenty of cabin room for my 6'2 husband and 2 kids. The trunk is big enough to fit anything I drag home from the store. The 2007 jetta is amazing and the safety is everything the brag about. We recently got in an accident (not my fault) and I can't believe how well my jetta faired when compared to the other vehicle. We were hit in the back quarter panel and it barely dented it. What else can I say, I love this car. I don't even need to go into detail about the styling and handling of this car. It is everything wonderful they say! You won't regret it."

Jetta TDI a Real Dream

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"I have owned the Jetta TDI for a little more than a year, and I could not be happier. The car has virtually no cons. First, the handling is superb. I can't believe how it takes corners. Second, the acceleration achieved with the TDI is great for this kind of car. I don't think I need to say much about the mileage...I get between 42 and 55 mpg, depending on how I'm driving. The new Jetta has the familiar interior styling VW is famous for. I own the 2006 model year, but this style came out midway through 2005 (called the 2005.5) and has a larger cabin and trunk than the older, "bubble style" jettas. The leatherette seats look like leather and almost feel like it, but they supposedly last longer than real leather. The engine compartment is very well squared away and easy to clean. The standard wheels on the TDI are larger than those on the value edition jetta and "sportier." Some of my friends hate to hear me talk so highly of my jetta tdi, but I really have been impressed thus far. I would recommend it to all of my closest friends and family members. I almost forgot...there is one thing I don't like about the car: the way it looks from the side could be improved (yes, that is my only complaint). The fact that these cars sell after a year or even two of use for as much as they sold when brand new says enough about the demand for them: they are excellent cars, people want them, and demand drives up the price. Five stars."

Saved my life

By on Tuesday, July 10, 2007

"A drunk driver ran a red light and smashed into my car as I was going through a signal. I walked away with only a bruised arm, the air bags from the ceiling and from the sides of the seats protected me. The car that hit me did not even break once before smashing into my Jetta and my car did not even turn around. I was very impressed how reliable my Jetta was."

Excellent Diesel

By on Tuesday, July 10, 2007

"I tried waiting out for the new 2.0L TDI that impressed me greatly when in Europe, but with the wife's old Accord going to pot, I had to make a move and buy the 1.9L TDI. I thought I was settling, but I have not been dissapointed. VW's DSG auto is a beautiful match with this engine. I am a die-hard manual guy, but I am not ashamed to own this. Even with the diesel, it still matches revs while downshifting. Although a great drivetrain, don't expect to win a lot of drag races. It is a great commuter and has the power when you need it, but if you're looking for speed go for the 2.0T/GLI. If this puts you off of the TDI, think of the gas mileage. I get a to-work-and-back (city/highway) average of 40MPG and have gotten 48 on long trips. I have yet to have quality issues with this car and honestly don't expect to. If you are thinking about a diesel and can wait, I highly suggest ordering up the 2.0 TDI early next year (2008). Oh, and the resale value of VW's are some of the best in the market. So, you won't loose $5000 as soon as the dealer hands you the keys like the majority of domestics do."

Happy with purchase

By on Sunday, June 17, 2007

"I went from a SUV to car (never thought I would) and was really doubting my choice. After the test drive, I was in love. I new it was a perfect replacement. It drives like a dream, always dependable, and enough room to were I don't even miss the SUV. The gas milelage is unbelievable, you can get even better mileage than they suggest. Overall it's a great car the rides, drives, and looks good for everyday uses or long trips."

Nice until 50K miles

By on Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Pros: "Nice handling, sturdy build quality"

Cons: "Unscheduled maintenance, expensive repairs,"

"The Jetta TDI is a good car with great miliage and great handling; however, like all VWs, unscheduled maintenance detracts from anything positive. Maintenance is frequent and expensive. My car is part of the buy back program and VW is not being fair about this. Hopefully there will be enough out cry by owners of these diesels to make VW bump up their offer. I would never buy another VW based on cost of repairs, poor dealer service, and frequency of repairs outside of scheduled maintenance. Dual clutch transmission is particularly unreliable. I had to have mine rebuilt twice in 100k miles - fortunately under warranty after arguing with VW on the second rebuild at 75k miles."

This has been a very good car with some exception.

By on Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pros: "Nice car to drive, reliable mechanically."

Cons: "Poor Interior quality."

"Mechanically this has been a very good car. The interior quality is the thing most lacking on this car. The dash has peeled again after having been replaced under warranty. The headliner has come totally loose, and subsequent investigation reveals this is a common problem with 2004-2006 VW Jetta'S. VW has not issued a recall and is not likely to despite consumer complaints."

Wonderful car, handles great, fun to drive

By on Friday, April 11, 2014

Pros: "Economical to drive"

Cons: "heated leather seats are awesom"

"Jetta TDI is the best car I have ever owned. I still enjoy driving it, and it has been very dependable."

very solid feel, fun to drive

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "this model has lotsa high end features"

Cons: "Cup holders are hard to clean"

"DSG trans is amazing, lightening quick gear changes and silky smooth. diesel engine is quiet, clean exhaust and lotsa torque. overall a great car."

Third W TDI All have been exceptional

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "Engine power and handling"

Cons: "None at this point"

"This is the third VW TDI I have owned. This is by far the best.The engine has amazing power and with 40+ mpg I an very satisfied. As long as VW contines to offer TDI powered cars I will continue to purchase their cars"

happy customer

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Pros: "great vehicle, smooth ride,powerful excelleration,"

Cons: "hard to exit, due to low ground clearence"

"excellent,vehicle,geting excellent service from dealer,with great gas millage,do not want to drive another gas powere auto.problem it is only 5 inches ground clearence, and i need at least 7 inches clearence,getting in and out of car is difficult for older person.still love it."