2005 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1500 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

money pit

By on Monday, April 21, 2008

"I had my jetta for three weeks before the motor blew up going down the road and left me stranded. After a very expensive overhaul it was up and going again in a month and a half. Then the tranny began to have problems shifting and staying in gears. We ended up having to put a 4500 dollar new tranny in it after reverse went out completly. Now that we have it back again we recently found out that the turbo is leaking oil into the motor and now we have to put another 2000 into a new turbo. before we can begin driving it again. keep in mind that all of this has happened within a nine month period."

Peppy, Reliable, and FUN.

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Handling, gas mileage"

Cons: "Interior, cheap plastic"

"When I purchased this car, I was kind of worried about the electrical issues on the older VW's. But this one I have never once had anything go wrong. Just one sensor and the catalytic converter. Cheap fixes. One thing I would reccomend is getting one with alloy wheels, not hubcaps. They fall off too easily. And the tan interior shows dirt REALLY bad."

TDI Gas Mileage Rocks!

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"We bought our Jetts TDI in 2000, because of the gas mileage. We average 50 mpg for running around town and my commute. This summer drove to Tennessee and got 60-65 mpg. Problems: Cylinder issues year 4, fixed at dealership first time. Glow plugs year 4, driver's power window broke year 6, husband fixed. Back seat cup holder broke month 6, front cup holder year seven, It was incredibly pesky, but now I miss it, since the car is manual. Dealer said it would be $200 to fix back cup holder, don't want to think what the front cup holder would cost! Lots of room for driver and front passenger, I cannot ride in back without getting car sick. It isn't comfortable unless you are a size zero which will work for my daughter and her friends. LOL. Love the trunk it will fit my massage table plus luggage for 3 women. My husband calls it the bottemless trunk. I did manage to fill it up for camping once. I would buy another, though I think I am going to get the wagon next time and hope for more room in the back seat."

Below expectations

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"Reliability of the vehicle and ability to obtain proper troubleshooting for mechnaical repair is poor."

Trusty Steed

By on Sunday, October 6, 2013

Pros: "Fun, reliable, a huge value"

Cons: "Plastic interior parts break easily, cup holders"

"Had this car for 6 years now. Bought it used with 35k miles on it. I've had very little issues with the car outside of normal wear and tear. Replaced an alternator belt, a couple fluid leaks, air pump, and fuses were the only real repairs. The car feels solid and the drivetrain is excellent for the price. Other cars feel cheap steering and cheap in acceleration and take off. Going 100mph in this car feels completely safe compared to many other that make noise and shake. Very pleased. Would buy a brand new 2002 jetta if I could."