2004 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1497 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Excellent to drive, but starting to eat parts!

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, good styling"

Cons: "Plastic parts and sensors tend to fail early"

"My experience with this car started at 103,000 miles. It has been fairly reliable, leaving us on the side of the road only one time with a failed crankshaft sensor. Since that time, there has been one other expensive, non-scheduled repair involving the rear O2 sensor and the mass airflow sensor. We are now looking at a fairly complete F/R suspension overhaul and the need for clutch replacement at some point. Prior to all this however, during the first owner's experience, unscheduled maintenance was very low. Despite all said above, the car delivered about 120,000 miles before starting to pile up the old-age wear-out items noted. If I were to start over, I might go for a newer Jetta, if it is as pleasant to drive as this one has been."

Incredible Mileage

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "45 MPG"

Cons: "Small"

"I got this car as a commuter and have not been disappointed. I average 43mpg mixed driving and 45 mpg highway. The interior is nice, but a little small. An average size person barely fits in the backseat. Overall I like the reliability and comfort of the car, just wish it had a bit more space."

Great fuel economy!!!

By on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pros: "MPG, Good Sound Sys, Nice Ride"

Cons: "Cramped, Expensive Repairs, $$$$$$$"

"Great fuel economy, however for a 6ft tall 250lb man....it is kinda tight to get in and out of. Also it is pricey to have work done, also its tempermental in the winter time. Just FYI"

Great Car!

By on Friday, August 19, 2011

Pros: "Great gas mileage, fun to drive, reliable"

"I bought my '04 Jetta (automatic) in '06 with 30,000 miles, now it has 214,000 miles. It's had to have a few minor problems fixed (O2 sensor, thermostat and spark plugs) but for a 7 year old car with 214,000 miles I cannot complain. All parts can be bought from Autozone for a very resonable price, if you have someone to do the labor. You will pay much much more if you go to a dealership. When my daughter turned 16 it was time to pass it on and get a new one for me."

nightmare

By on Thursday, August 5, 2010

"I bought my Jetta used with almost 90k miles on it which I realize is a lot BUT I previously owned an older model Toyota Corolla with similar mileage and had zero problems with it. This Jetta has been a nightmare. Everything that could possibly go wrong with the coolant system has. Various other problems... VWs are not cheap to fix. The front bumper is way too low to the ground. It tears off if you pull into a parking spot with a barrier. My cup holder snapped off. One of my keys (the fancy ones that are $100+ to replace) snapped in half. My visor mirror snapped off... and the list goes on. Now I'm having a big deal fuel related issue that I am mostly likely not going to fix. It's time for a new car. I've had enough. I will never buy a VW again."

Great Excellent Working Vehicle

By on Thursday, June 3, 2010

"This is a nice car to drive around any place you would want. I've owned this car for a long time and this car is just a babe it drives like new even if it has 165,ooo on it and its a 2003 it still drives like new. Great performance i live in the country and have to drive 10 miles to a store and this car is just a gas saver drives me where ever i want to go am looking on buying another 2007 jetta TDI pretty soon."

By on Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"I bought my 2003 Jetta GLS 2.0T brand new and have been in love ever since. It has 108k on it and has never given my any major problems. I have had the occassional recall. The coils were recalled about 6 months after I replaced them and VW refunded my money. I get great gas mileage. It is kind of a small car so if you have anyone in the backseat they won't have much leg room. Starts up everytime and purrs like a kitten, even if it has been sitting for a few days. It is such fun to drive. My only regret is that I did not get the sport suspension. It excelerates pretty darn quick when merging onto NJ hightways, and if you live in NJ you know that's important! I would definitely recommend this car to anyone."

Not major, but annoying problems

By on Thursday, February 25, 2010

"Great powertrain, but be prepared to spend some money on minor repairs. VW has lowered their standards since the late 80's for sure. Overly engineered, the 03 VW Jetta was (and prob still is) notorious for electrical issues (ignition switch, sensors, computer malfunctions, etc). Get used to the glowing check engine light and be ready to make this a permanent part of your dash. Difficult for DIY’s to assess and fix problems and VW parts and especially labor (think $5 sensor costing $200 to replace at the dealer – 5 minute job after needing to replace a second time myself) will bring the cost of the car well over what it's worth. At approximately 100K miles, I got to the point of whether or not I’d make it to my destination without an electrical malfunction, thus causing an engine failure. But otherwise, the engine/trans/mechanical components extremely sound... too bad their run off a computer. But after seeing the marketing strategy at the autoshow this year (focusing mainly on teenie-bopper kids), it'll be a good year for the VW mechanics given that parents will be lining up to get that pesky check engine light shut off with their wallet-full of cash... good move VW!"

best car iv ever owned

By on Thursday, February 11, 2010

"iv had my jetta since it was new. it is a 2001. it now has about 250000 miles on it. i have never had any problems with it. all iv done is kept up with the basic maitnance and it has run perfect. BUY A JETTA. you will be stuck on them for life."

WARNING: Has to be serviced by VW dealer only

By on Monday, October 26, 2009

"We owned this car for five years and had several problems with the brake light switch that would cause the gear shifter to lock up making the car unusable. Two brake switch repairs were under warranty and recall, the third time it cost me $350.00 once the car went out of warranty. This car is engineered and designed to be serviced by VW technicians only. You can't even put in your own transmission fluid, you need to have a dealership do that and expect to pay $$$. The car needs specalized equptment to service so expect to really pay out for any needed repair. CD player stopped working at 25,000 miles.... the aluminum wheels seize up on the hub and are next to impossible to get off yourself if you ever get a flat! Expect to be stranded along the roadside, even a sledge hammer wouldn't get the wheel off. We got tired of getting overcharged by the VW dealer for routine maintenance , I traded in our Jetta at 90,000 miles and will never buy another Volkswagen product again. Good Riddance!"