2004 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1499 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

money pit

By on Monday, April 21, 2008

"I had my jetta for three weeks before the motor blew up going down the road and left me stranded. After a very expensive overhaul it was up and going again in a month and a half. Then the tranny began to have problems shifting and staying in gears. We ended up having to put a 4500 dollar new tranny in it after reverse went out completly. Now that we have it back again we recently found out that the turbo is leaking oil into the motor and now we have to put another 2000 into a new turbo. before we can begin driving it again. keep in mind that all of this has happened within a nine month period."

Peppy, Reliable, and FUN.

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Handling, gas mileage"

Cons: "Interior, cheap plastic"

"When I purchased this car, I was kind of worried about the electrical issues on the older VW's. But this one I have never once had anything go wrong. Just one sensor and the catalytic converter. Cheap fixes. One thing I would reccomend is getting one with alloy wheels, not hubcaps. They fall off too easily. And the tan interior shows dirt REALLY bad."

TDI Gas Mileage Rocks!

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"We bought our Jetts TDI in 2000, because of the gas mileage. We average 50 mpg for running around town and my commute. This summer drove to Tennessee and got 60-65 mpg. Problems: Cylinder issues year 4, fixed at dealership first time. Glow plugs year 4, driver's power window broke year 6, husband fixed. Back seat cup holder broke month 6, front cup holder year seven, It was incredibly pesky, but now I miss it, since the car is manual. Dealer said it would be $200 to fix back cup holder, don't want to think what the front cup holder would cost! Lots of room for driver and front passenger, I cannot ride in back without getting car sick. It isn't comfortable unless you are a size zero which will work for my daughter and her friends. LOL. Love the trunk it will fit my massage table plus luggage for 3 women. My husband calls it the bottemless trunk. I did manage to fill it up for camping once. I would buy another, though I think I am going to get the wagon next time and hope for more room in the back seat."

Below expectations

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"Reliability of the vehicle and ability to obtain proper troubleshooting for mechnaical repair is poor."

Trusty Steed

By on Sunday, October 6, 2013

Pros: "Fun, reliable, a huge value"

Cons: "Plastic interior parts break easily, cup holders"

"Had this car for 6 years now. Bought it used with 35k miles on it. I've had very little issues with the car outside of normal wear and tear. Replaced an alternator belt, a couple fluid leaks, air pump, and fuses were the only real repairs. The car feels solid and the drivetrain is excellent for the price. Other cars feel cheap steering and cheap in acceleration and take off. Going 100mph in this car feels completely safe compared to many other that make noise and shake. Very pleased. Would buy a brand new 2002 jetta if I could."

Favorite Vehicle So Far

By on Monday, July 9, 2007

"This car great Performance and has quality Comfort. Drawbacks are the constant maintenance and price of fixing/replacing parts. Issues are well known and tend to happen to all owners of this vehicle. If you are going to purchase this car, you better have a good, and knowledgeable mechanic."

Best first car in the world!

By on Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Pros: "Great on gas, fun to drive, great price"

Cons: "back seats are small so fits about 4 vs 5"

"This was my first car I've ever gotten and boy was it a catch! I feel like no other car can beat this. It's diesel so it will last forever, its terrific on gas about 30-40 mpg and its only a 4 cyl so it cost about $20-$25 bucks to fill it up,it looks sweet, its great to drive because its small and you can whip right into a parking space without a hassle."

Luv My Jetta

By on Saturday, July 5, 2014

"Forgetting about normal stuff (brakes,tire,etc.) My total repair cost with 148000 is $500 just a Temp. sensor, O2 sensor and a window regulator. Plus mine is a special "city" model which means I get close to 33 mpg on my daily drive. On a trip the mileage drops to about 30 but I don't care as only 5% of my driving is long distance. Going to try and beat my record I set with my 86 GTI which was 448000 miles."

VW Jetta

By on Sunday, September 22, 2013

Pros: "PEPPY, SOLID, FAST"

Cons: "The window motors are a problem as they are in BMW"

"This is my 2nd VW Jetta and I have to say, the Germans used to make a great car! I've heard the newer model Jetta isn't as comfy, but the older models are extremely comfortable, with wide large cushy seats and a lot of support. The moonroof still works well with no wind noise or squeaking after 14 yrs, and still runs strong!"

50 MPG ON ONE GALLON OF GAS ROUND TRIP ACROSS MTN

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "SUPER EASY TO DRIVE"

Cons: "NO LEATHER SEATS"

"THIS IS THE BEST VEHICLE! SUPER PEPPY,RELIABLE,COMFORTABLE, AGILE! CLIMBS AFTON MOUNTAIN IN FIFTH GEAR LIKE A V8 ENGINE AND SIPS LITTLE GAS. BODY,INTERIOR,EXTERIOR IN EXCELLENT CONDITION. EASY VEHICLE TO SERVICE. SUPER FAST ON THE INTERSTATE & AROUND WASHINGTON,DC CAPITAL BELTWAY. VEHICLE FACTORY EQUIPPED BURGLAR ALARM,ENGINE IMMOBOLIZER,RADIO ANTI-THEFT ACTIVATED WITH THE LOCK OF DOORS. WILL NEED TO SELL DUE TO CANCER."

11 years and still my favorite car

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, great mileage, dependable"

Cons: "seats don't hold up,needs custom tune post warrant"

"I was middle aged when I purchased this car 11 years ago, now a senior and i still enjoy this car. I have only been towed once in 168k, the turbo blew. It was tuned 2.5 years ago and mileage actually improved to a city/hwy average of 42mpg and I have achieved 50+ on a few trips even with a heavy r foot. It handles well with decent tires and is fun on curvy roads! It carries a bunch of stuff capably."

Excellent to drive, but starting to eat parts!

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, good styling"

Cons: "Plastic parts and sensors tend to fail early"

"My experience with this car started at 103,000 miles. It has been fairly reliable, leaving us on the side of the road only one time with a failed crankshaft sensor. Since that time, there has been one other expensive, non-scheduled repair involving the rear O2 sensor and the mass airflow sensor. We are now looking at a fairly complete F/R suspension overhaul and the need for clutch replacement at some point. Prior to all this however, during the first owner's experience, unscheduled maintenance was very low. Despite all said above, the car delivered about 120,000 miles before starting to pile up the old-age wear-out items noted. If I were to start over, I might go for a newer Jetta, if it is as pleasant to drive as this one has been."

Incredible Mileage

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "45 MPG"

Cons: "Small"

"I got this car as a commuter and have not been disappointed. I average 43mpg mixed driving and 45 mpg highway. The interior is nice, but a little small. An average size person barely fits in the backseat. Overall I like the reliability and comfort of the car, just wish it had a bit more space."

Great fuel economy!!!

By on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pros: "MPG, Good Sound Sys, Nice Ride"

Cons: "Cramped, Expensive Repairs, $$$$$$$"

"Great fuel economy, however for a 6ft tall 250lb man....it is kinda tight to get in and out of. Also it is pricey to have work done, also its tempermental in the winter time. Just FYI"

Great Car!

By on Friday, August 19, 2011

Pros: "Great gas mileage, fun to drive, reliable"

"I bought my '04 Jetta (automatic) in '06 with 30,000 miles, now it has 214,000 miles. It's had to have a few minor problems fixed (O2 sensor, thermostat and spark plugs) but for a 7 year old car with 214,000 miles I cannot complain. All parts can be bought from Autozone for a very resonable price, if you have someone to do the labor. You will pay much much more if you go to a dealership. When my daughter turned 16 it was time to pass it on and get a new one for me."

nightmare

By on Thursday, August 5, 2010

"I bought my Jetta used with almost 90k miles on it which I realize is a lot BUT I previously owned an older model Toyota Corolla with similar mileage and had zero problems with it. This Jetta has been a nightmare. Everything that could possibly go wrong with the coolant system has. Various other problems... VWs are not cheap to fix. The front bumper is way too low to the ground. It tears off if you pull into a parking spot with a barrier. My cup holder snapped off. One of my keys (the fancy ones that are $100+ to replace) snapped in half. My visor mirror snapped off... and the list goes on. Now I'm having a big deal fuel related issue that I am mostly likely not going to fix. It's time for a new car. I've had enough. I will never buy a VW again."

Great Excellent Working Vehicle

By on Thursday, June 3, 2010

"This is a nice car to drive around any place you would want. I've owned this car for a long time and this car is just a babe it drives like new even if it has 165,ooo on it and its a 2003 it still drives like new. Great performance i live in the country and have to drive 10 miles to a store and this car is just a gas saver drives me where ever i want to go am looking on buying another 2007 jetta TDI pretty soon."

By on Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"I bought my 2003 Jetta GLS 2.0T brand new and have been in love ever since. It has 108k on it and has never given my any major problems. I have had the occassional recall. The coils were recalled about 6 months after I replaced them and VW refunded my money. I get great gas mileage. It is kind of a small car so if you have anyone in the backseat they won't have much leg room. Starts up everytime and purrs like a kitten, even if it has been sitting for a few days. It is such fun to drive. My only regret is that I did not get the sport suspension. It excelerates pretty darn quick when merging onto NJ hightways, and if you live in NJ you know that's important! I would definitely recommend this car to anyone."

Not major, but annoying problems

By on Thursday, February 25, 2010

"Great powertrain, but be prepared to spend some money on minor repairs. VW has lowered their standards since the late 80's for sure. Overly engineered, the 03 VW Jetta was (and prob still is) notorious for electrical issues (ignition switch, sensors, computer malfunctions, etc). Get used to the glowing check engine light and be ready to make this a permanent part of your dash. Difficult for DIY’s to assess and fix problems and VW parts and especially labor (think $5 sensor costing $200 to replace at the dealer – 5 minute job after needing to replace a second time myself) will bring the cost of the car well over what it's worth. At approximately 100K miles, I got to the point of whether or not I’d make it to my destination without an electrical malfunction, thus causing an engine failure. But otherwise, the engine/trans/mechanical components extremely sound... too bad their run off a computer. But after seeing the marketing strategy at the autoshow this year (focusing mainly on teenie-bopper kids), it'll be a good year for the VW mechanics given that parents will be lining up to get that pesky check engine light shut off with their wallet-full of cash... good move VW!"

best car iv ever owned

By on Thursday, February 11, 2010

"iv had my jetta since it was new. it is a 2001. it now has about 250000 miles on it. i have never had any problems with it. all iv done is kept up with the basic maitnance and it has run perfect. BUY A JETTA. you will be stuck on them for life."

WARNING: Has to be serviced by VW dealer only

By on Monday, October 26, 2009

"We owned this car for five years and had several problems with the brake light switch that would cause the gear shifter to lock up making the car unusable. Two brake switch repairs were under warranty and recall, the third time it cost me $350.00 once the car went out of warranty. This car is engineered and designed to be serviced by VW technicians only. You can't even put in your own transmission fluid, you need to have a dealership do that and expect to pay $$$. The car needs specalized equptment to service so expect to really pay out for any needed repair. CD player stopped working at 25,000 miles.... the aluminum wheels seize up on the hub and are next to impossible to get off yourself if you ever get a flat! Expect to be stranded along the roadside, even a sledge hammer wouldn't get the wheel off. We got tired of getting overcharged by the VW dealer for routine maintenance , I traded in our Jetta at 90,000 miles and will never buy another Volkswagen product again. Good Riddance!"

Ok Car...

By on Saturday, September 5, 2009

"I love my '01 Jetta GLS, it's a beautiful car and drives nicely. Unfortunately it's been costly to maintain. My center concole broke, the knob for the mirror adjustments snapped off randomly, my emergency brake light beeps when the circulating air button is on, and I recently replaced the entire exaust system (over $2,000!) and still have problems with a "whoosh"ing sound.... If I continue to maintain it, I'm sure it will last me forever, I just want a hassel-free car."

By on Thursday, August 13, 2009

"I will never buy antoher VW in my life i have had nothing but problems with this car. I cannot wait until the day i pay it off. I will be trading it in as soon as i make that last payment. I have had this car for 4 years and have put more than $5,000 into it and i still need more work done thats going to be another $2,000."

What hype-brid?

By on Monday, June 1, 2009

"This car is the best blend of economy, style and value. I get 43 MPG on average with the A/C on most of the time. It has never left me stranded or broken down, only been to the dealer once for a recall. Best advice I can give you, stay away from dealership service and you'll be better off. Get yourself a VCDS diagnosing system and the car will tell you where it hurts. It'll be easy enough to fix and much cheaper if you do it yourself. I've put 80K miles in 3 years with no headaches ever; the best car purchase I've made. Please don't fall for the hype-brid marketing gimmicks, you won't get the advertised mileage and you'll hate driving something with no personality."

Horrified!!!!!

By on Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"I have a 2004 Jetta 1.8 Turbo. I bought it brand new and after a year the car has given me problem after problem. I had oil slug, water pump fell apart, car not shifting into gear correctly, raving extremely high, shakes really hard when I hit 60mph. It's been in the shop numerous times. I would not recommend the vehicle to my worst enemy."