2003 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1500 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

By on Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"I bought my 2003 Jetta GLS 2.0T brand new and have been in love ever since. It has 108k on it and has never given my any major problems. I have had the occassional recall. The coils were recalled about 6 months after I replaced them and VW refunded my money. I get great gas mileage. It is kind of a small car so if you have anyone in the backseat they won't have much leg room. Starts up everytime and purrs like a kitten, even if it has been sitting for a few days. It is such fun to drive. My only regret is that I did not get the sport suspension. It excelerates pretty darn quick when merging onto NJ hightways, and if you live in NJ you know that's important! I would definitely recommend this car to anyone."

Not major, but annoying problems

By on Thursday, February 25, 2010

"Great powertrain, but be prepared to spend some money on minor repairs. VW has lowered their standards since the late 80's for sure. Overly engineered, the 03 VW Jetta was (and prob still is) notorious for electrical issues (ignition switch, sensors, computer malfunctions, etc). Get used to the glowing check engine light and be ready to make this a permanent part of your dash. Difficult for DIY’s to assess and fix problems and VW parts and especially labor (think $5 sensor costing $200 to replace at the dealer – 5 minute job after needing to replace a second time myself) will bring the cost of the car well over what it's worth. At approximately 100K miles, I got to the point of whether or not I’d make it to my destination without an electrical malfunction, thus causing an engine failure. But otherwise, the engine/trans/mechanical components extremely sound... too bad their run off a computer. But after seeing the marketing strategy at the autoshow this year (focusing mainly on teenie-bopper kids), it'll be a good year for the VW mechanics given that parents will be lining up to get that pesky check engine light shut off with their wallet-full of cash... good move VW!"

best car iv ever owned

By on Thursday, February 11, 2010

"iv had my jetta since it was new. it is a 2001. it now has about 250000 miles on it. i have never had any problems with it. all iv done is kept up with the basic maitnance and it has run perfect. BUY A JETTA. you will be stuck on them for life."

WARNING: Has to be serviced by VW dealer only

By on Monday, October 26, 2009

"We owned this car for five years and had several problems with the brake light switch that would cause the gear shifter to lock up making the car unusable. Two brake switch repairs were under warranty and recall, the third time it cost me $350.00 once the car went out of warranty. This car is engineered and designed to be serviced by VW technicians only. You can't even put in your own transmission fluid, you need to have a dealership do that and expect to pay $$$. The car needs specalized equptment to service so expect to really pay out for any needed repair. CD player stopped working at 25,000 miles.... the aluminum wheels seize up on the hub and are next to impossible to get off yourself if you ever get a flat! Expect to be stranded along the roadside, even a sledge hammer wouldn't get the wheel off. We got tired of getting overcharged by the VW dealer for routine maintenance , I traded in our Jetta at 90,000 miles and will never buy another Volkswagen product again. Good Riddance!"

Ok Car...

By on Saturday, September 5, 2009

"I love my '01 Jetta GLS, it's a beautiful car and drives nicely. Unfortunately it's been costly to maintain. My center concole broke, the knob for the mirror adjustments snapped off randomly, my emergency brake light beeps when the circulating air button is on, and I recently replaced the entire exaust system (over $2,000!) and still have problems with a "whoosh"ing sound.... If I continue to maintain it, I'm sure it will last me forever, I just want a hassel-free car."