2003 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1500 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Quality car that has lasted the miles

By on Saturday, November 5, 2011

"With the 1.8L turbo and 5sp this car is a joy to drive. After years of abuse the car workmanship and materials have held up surprisingly well. Look forward to another 200000 with this car."

Take car of it, and it will take care of you

By on Friday, November 4, 2011

Pros: "Handles great, looks great, fun to drive"

Cons: "cloth seats attract/trap hair, minor elec probs"

"The jetta itself is a very well made car, just make sure you buy one with the right engine. The jettas of this era with 2.0l engines or 2.8l engines N/A are the only jettas you will want to seek out as the engines last, the 1.8t engine isnt so reliable, it constantly throws codes at higher milages and can either leave you broke or so mad you want to sell the car, or worse. Ive had my 2.8l vr6 24v jetta for about 5 years now and have minor issues and plan to keep the car for awhile. The interior tho while comfortable does have a few minor cheap qualities mainly all electrical related, my windows have given me alittle trouble and my tape deck stopped working, but honestly who needs a tape deck now adays. Car handles great its comfortable and its pretty fast for a 2.8l i strongly recommend the vr6 jettas to anyone in the market for a used jetta!"

Still not tired of it...

By on Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pros: "Styling, Performance, Features"

Cons: "Small Back Seat"

"I've owned this car for over 8 years now and Im still not tired of it. It has drove me through college, 1st job and 2nd job. The quality of the interior is great, stock sound system still competes with the best... Engine performance never left me dissappointed 1.8t was one of the best engines ever. Still averaging 30mpg. I will never sell it until it completely gives up. I have 180k miles and it still drives like when I drove it off the dealer lot."

Good reliable transportation with nice lines.

By on Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pros: "See above"

Cons: "See above"

Still looking good after 10 years!

"2000 New Jetta GLS sedan, Reflex Silver over black, 2.0L gas 4cyl./AT. Purchased Certified Pre-Owned in 2001 with 14K miles. Currently has 86K miles. Body, drivetrain, suspension and exhaust have held up very well with proper routine maintenance. Pros include great styling, mechanically relatively simple, 4 cyl. engine offers lots of power with 30 MPG avg., and it rides and handles like it was built for the Autobahn....because it was. Cons include flimsy, below average plastic parts, like the oil dipstick tube, coolant junction flange, original antenna, and cupholder, which will fail with some regularity. Programmed electronics, like power window regulators and keyless entry system are over-complicated and very expensive to repair, and sealed automatic transmission can't be readily checked or serviced. Has not been problematic outside of the cheap plastics. Catalytic converter burned out @ 45K miles and was replaced under warranty. On the whole, a great, fun car I would buy again....especially if they were still being built in Germany."

Still looking good after 10 years!

I love this car

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "Ride, responsiveness, looks"

Cons: "Rear seat leg room"

"I got it at 89000 and the riding as been smooth ever since. Beautiful car with a sporty twist to it. Plenty of wow factor. Just don't expect too much leg room in back- this car was made for young professionals."

I love it but...

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

Pros: "great gas mileage, sound system, comfort level."

Cons: "no CD player, expensive repairs."

"I absolutely love this car. I have had it for a bit (it was my grandfathers, and when he passed away, my grandmother was kind enough to let me have it) and the pro's most definitely out-weigh the cons."

Love my car I'll only drive a VW!

By on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, great gas mileage!"

"I love my VW Jetta GL. Fun to drive with great gas mileage! The price is great for the quality of this car. I have never had a problem with my Jetta, rountine maintainence and TLC is all a VW needs to perform its best. I love the non complicated design of this car. IT's perfect for a city car to get you where you need to go!"

LOVE IT - highly recommend

By on Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pros: "Great value, fun to drive, economical, large trunk"

Cons: "Not a lot of leg room in the back seat"

"I bought my 2005 Jetta new and have put almost $178,000 miles on it (mostly highway miles). I've used the car to move about 10 times and I've been able to squeeze so much into the little car because of the large trunk and fold-down rear seats. The car is fun to drive and I haven't had any problems in the snow or ice (Iowa winters), driving slower helps, obviously. It's just starting to sound a little funny, the engine runs a little louder than when it was brand new, but what do you expect with that many miles on it? Getting ready to trade it in for something a little newer and larger but I love everything about this car and highly recommend it."

Have mixed feelings

By on Monday, September 12, 2011

Pros: "MPG!!!, It's German...what else needs to be said."

Cons: "Cost of operation/parts/repair"

"I have a 2002 and I bought it in 2005 (second owner). Car had 50,000 miles (curently 213,000) great except for when somthing goes wrong expect to sell you first child to pay for it. I have enjoyed the performance aspect of the car, wonderful handeling and MPG (avg. 49.5). There are some bad parts in the car that keep going out. Timing belt needs to be changed out every 40,000 and that will cost you about $750.00. The orignal water pump was made of plastic, if that goes out you will find a good $4000.00 repair bill, (water pump in on timing belt, thus pump goes out, car not happy) yes I know this from sad experience. I have had a number of sensors go out(avg. $250.00 parts $150.00 labor/diagnostics = $400.00), and when it strats to happen 1 every month for 6 months, you might as well get a new car. Overall, if car was not so expensice to repair, I would buy another one in a heart beat."

HORRIBLE CAR!!

By on Sunday, April 17, 2011

"If your cam sensor hasn't come on yet...it will. Expect it around 120,000 miles. Our model was the Jetta GLS Sedan VR6. This car was good...for about 20,000 miles. Then we started having problems. Lifters ticking, tention rod making noises, starter replaced, fly wheel replaced, thermostat replaced, water pump replaced, oil pan replaced, front end of car suspention on left side replaced. Finally check engine light came on and we'd had enough, we finally sold it. If your a big person or like to carry passangers don't buy this car it is so small inside. It looks super cute, fun and fast but not reliable. It may be a good car for your kids to beat up for their first car or for commuting. Other than that I wouldn't purchase stay away from VW."

Love this car

By on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"I bought my Jetta TDI new off the lot in 2004. I LOVE it. It gets between 35 and 45 mpg. It has had a few problems, but nothing major. Radiator fan died after 5 years, I have had to replace a few of the sensors over the years. It has retained it s value really well. I paid just over 21,000 all in and I checked the KBB today at 7 years and 75000 miles It still has a trade in of over 7500."

By on Thursday, October 14, 2010

"It's cute, it's sporty. It drives like a dream. It's comfortable and roomier inside than it looks. However, as many Jetta owners will tell you - the check engine light is always on. There's always SOMETHING that needs to be fixed. The computer system is very sensative and turns on the check engine light when nothing serious is wrong. It makes inspections difficult and it makes you worry that driving too far out of town is a bad idea. By the way, it also only takes mid grade fuel, but it does get good gas mileage. It's a good looking car that has aged well, still looks like new - except for the check engine light."

Stuck with me through it all

By on Thursday, September 9, 2010

"I have driven this car from one coast to another and back...twice, put 100k on it so far. RUNS GREAT, haven't had a single problem (minus me putting a dent in the oil pan and having to replace it). I got in a fender bender once and the parts are expensive and and so is labor on this car but honestly its been worth it because its been awesome! This car is super practical and fun and comfortable to drive. Whenever I drive someone else's car and then drive mine I'm grateful. Compact and versatile too, I can fold down the seats and fit two 8' surfboards in it...and parallel park in the tight spot close to the beach. really couldn't ask for more."

2001 vw jetta tdi

By on Monday, August 16, 2010

"I have owned the car for 6 years, parts and labor are expensive but overall the car has been very reliable, great on gas (deisel). Would definitely buy another one but I plan on putting a new engine in this car when needed. The exterior still looks practically new. Inside still looks great. Just becareful where you leave parked, someone has stolen my center caps, and vents in front."

2001 jetta gls vr6

By on Friday, May 21, 2010

"great performance, awsome design, and good stereo. if you are looking for a new car and would like to sell it before 60,000 miles or less, this car is for you! On the other hand if you are looking to keep the car for a long time, get ready to pay hefty maintance bills. My extended waranty company spent over 8,000 dollars on this car alone. I bought the car with 65,000 miles and has had many maintance issues. I didnt pay for the bills but it was a pain in the butt to keep taking it to the dealership! engine noise, belt noise, compressor failure, TWO MOTOR SWAPS, oil leaks, and cooling system leak at the thermostat housing and water pump. great car in the beginning with low miles but I will never buy another jetta again for as long as i live. IF YOU BUY A USED JETTA GET EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE!!!"

10 years later and still the best car available

By on Friday, May 7, 2010

"Wow! They really did it right in 2001. If some domestic car companies would try to trow a small diesel engine in a midsize car, then I would buy it."

run away from VW/Audi's

By on Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"The vehicle has needed a new fuel pump relay, ignition coil, passenger seat heater switch. The vehicle still has a P0420 engine code, which may mean a reflash of the ECM based on a technical service bulliten from VW, or the Catalytic converter needs replacing. Also, the CEL is burnt out on the instrument cluster. It is a surface mount LED, not a bulb. Also, the remote unlock/lock of the key stopped working, and it was costly to get the dealer to reprogram the key.($150) You can't do this work yourself because you need to know the 7 digit secret code, which all VW dealers stopped giving out in 2005. You can't buy a used instrument cluster and get it to work in the vehicle without adapting it to ECM and the data bus with the 7 digit secret code. After reading about the problems with VW's online while investigating the numerous problems I encountered, I realized that most of the problems are common to many VW/Audis. I purchased this vehicle used. All these problems occurred in the first 6 months of ownership. I wish I never purchased this vehicle. In the future, I will never even consider owning a VW/Audi."

Best vehicle ever

By on Wednesday, March 17, 2010

"I've had this vehicle for 10+ years, 89,300 miles. It's the first vehicle I've owned that didn't need to be taken back to the dealer when new or ever since. Just plain absolutely trouble free. I have the VR6, but I've heard a lot of complaints about the 1.8 4 cylinder turbo. My VR6 is a real gem. It performs beautifully in all driving situations. The engine is smooth with plenty of power. I've averaged 28.6 MPG combined. On the highway, right at 31.0 MPG. I am replacing the car because I need a more functional vehicle. I'm thinking I must be crazy to let go of super reliable car."

Excellent Vehicle

By on Sunday, February 14, 2010

"I have owned this car for about 4 years now, no major problems, runs great. power is on the low side but thats not what i bought it for. it gets about 32 mpg on the highway, and I do about 18,000 a year almost all highway miles. I love the way it drives and handles. The quality of the interior is as good as some newer cars. Highly recommended."

Jetta Lover

By on Thursday, January 28, 2010

"I am about to buy my third jetta. I have always bought them used and never had any problems. in fact my old 91 jetta just wouldnt stop going! and i learned to drive stick in that old thing, so it definately took a good beating. i've heard many complaints about the power windows in 99-01, but have never come across any. all in all theyre great cars and very reliable. i would definately recomend one for just about anyone."

By on Saturday, September 26, 2009

too many problems

By on Monday, August 24, 2009

"In many ways I love this car, but I could never recommend one to anybody. There's always some problem with it, and it's always $400-$1500 to fix. timing belt broke early, then the real kicker, and I've never really trusted it since, one of the engine mount bolts broke and the engine fell out the bottom, luckily just after I had gotten off the highway. water leaks in around the edges of the windshield, the glovebox latch is broken ($300 not including labor to fix). It's too bad because it's the perfect size, it looks good, handles well, gets good gas mileage, fits a ton of stuff inside, has a tape deck, the list goes on and on. But I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop."

High repair bills

By on Tuesday, July 7, 2009

"After 5 years problems started; 9/19/05 - replaced temp sensor - $698.71. 11/3/05 - replaced oxigen sensor $333.56.12/5/06 - Engine light was on - Ignition coil faulty, spark plug wires brittle $1,670. 12/21/06-engine light came back-replaced 02 sensor- no charge. 10/4/07 engine light on - misfire in cylinder#1 $145.00. 5/15/08 - replaced right rear wheel bearing $645.76. 4/17/09 replaced water pump $1,371.92 . Car has 73,000 miles. Bought new."

Not worth the maintenance

By on Wednesday, July 1, 2009

"I have owned my Jetta for 5 years. I liked it so much that when it was totaled in an accident, I replaced it with the exact same model. However, once my car reached 80,000 miles it slowly began to fall apart. At 80K, it required a new transmission (~$3000). At 90K, it required a new MAF sensor, timing belt, and cooling fan (~2000). The cost to maintain a Jetta at with >75,000 miles is certainly not worth what you pay for German engineering. I would not purchase another VW unless I only planned to keep it for 2-3 years."

1st time Volkswagon owner

By on Monday, April 27, 2009

"Bought new in 2001 with only 9 miles. Currently have 93k. Very reliable. No problems. Make sure to follow the scheduled maintenance plan. I think it makes a difference. Car is older now and have to add oil. Volkswagons are expensive to maintain and difficult/impossible to fix on your own so budget some extra money each year for maintenance (think of it as investing in your transportation). Great gas mileage. Car is not very powerful (its a 4-cylender) but drives very well and shifts smooth. Tight steering, great turn radius, car handles very well. Drives very well at high speeds. Had it consistently around 85/90mph on interstate hwy and engine was smooth and car felt sturdy and handled extremely well. Sounds corney, but you can feel the German Engineering when you drive. Good engine, but the year 2001's tend to consume oil (fault with the engineering of the engine). One of the last great VW Jetta body designs in my opinion. Newer models have no character."