2002 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1497 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

TDI Gas Mileage Rocks!

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"We bought our Jetts TDI in 2000, because of the gas mileage. We average 50 mpg for running around town and my commute. This summer drove to Tennessee and got 60-65 mpg. Problems: Cylinder issues year 4, fixed at dealership first time. Glow plugs year 4, driver's power window broke year 6, husband fixed. Back seat cup holder broke month 6, front cup holder year seven, It was incredibly pesky, but now I miss it, since the car is manual. Dealer said it would be $200 to fix back cup holder, don't want to think what the front cup holder would cost! Lots of room for driver and front passenger, I cannot ride in back without getting car sick. It isn't comfortable unless you are a size zero which will work for my daughter and her friends. LOL. Love the trunk it will fit my massage table plus luggage for 3 women. My husband calls it the bottemless trunk. I did manage to fill it up for camping once. I would buy another, though I think I am going to get the wagon next time and hope for more room in the back seat."

Warning

By on Sunday, September 16, 2007

"I bought this car used about three and a half years ago. It ran really well and was fun to drive. Since then, I have had two recalls, my sterio just stopped working, and at times I think the whole thing is just gonna fall apart like in the cartoons. Its true also that you feel like your beating it up all the time. Everything you drive over no matter how slow youre going, the bottom just eats the road. I have kept it up even though it costs an arm and a leg. The oil burns so fast and you really have to remember to check it often. The lights always go out the paint on the door handles and things peels off, and the front vents will fall off if you dont pay attenion and pop them back in. The bumper also can just pop off on the corners. I've also had a terrible time with all the dealerships. They do not know how to treat customers. I had to contact corporate just to get the owners manual that they forgot to give me and wanted to charge me like 90$ for. Also, after about two years they smell like crayons! Everyone I know who has one has said the same. There are positives, they are incredibly safe, the trunk is huge, and its cozy. But I'm sorry to say that I would never recommend this car nor buy another one."

Below expectations

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"Reliability of the vehicle and ability to obtain proper troubleshooting for mechnaical repair is poor."

Favorite Vehicle So Far

By on Monday, July 9, 2007

"This car great Performance and has quality Comfort. Drawbacks are the constant maintenance and price of fixing/replacing parts. Issues are well known and tend to happen to all owners of this vehicle. If you are going to purchase this car, you better have a good, and knowledgeable mechanic."

Luv My Jetta

By on Saturday, July 5, 2014

"Forgetting about normal stuff (brakes,tire,etc.) My total repair cost with 148000 is $500 just a Temp. sensor, O2 sensor and a window regulator. Plus mine is a special "city" model which means I get close to 33 mpg on my daily drive. On a trip the mileage drops to about 30 but I don't care as only 5% of my driving is long distance. Going to try and beat my record I set with my 86 GTI which was 448000 miles."

Trusty Steed

By on Sunday, October 6, 2013

Pros: "Fun, reliable, a huge value"

Cons: "Plastic interior parts break easily, cup holders"

"Had this car for 6 years now. Bought it used with 35k miles on it. I've had very little issues with the car outside of normal wear and tear. Replaced an alternator belt, a couple fluid leaks, air pump, and fuses were the only real repairs. The car feels solid and the drivetrain is excellent for the price. Other cars feel cheap steering and cheap in acceleration and take off. Going 100mph in this car feels completely safe compared to many other that make noise and shake. Very pleased. Would buy a brand new 2002 jetta if I could."

VW Jetta

By on Sunday, September 22, 2013

Pros: "PEPPY, SOLID, FAST"

Cons: "The window motors are a problem as they are in BMW"

"This is my 2nd VW Jetta and I have to say, the Germans used to make a great car! I've heard the newer model Jetta isn't as comfy, but the older models are extremely comfortable, with wide large cushy seats and a lot of support. The moonroof still works well with no wind noise or squeaking after 14 yrs, and still runs strong!"

50 MPG ON ONE GALLON OF GAS ROUND TRIP ACROSS MTN

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "SUPER EASY TO DRIVE"

Cons: "NO LEATHER SEATS"

"THIS IS THE BEST VEHICLE! SUPER PEPPY,RELIABLE,COMFORTABLE, AGILE! CLIMBS AFTON MOUNTAIN IN FIFTH GEAR LIKE A V8 ENGINE AND SIPS LITTLE GAS. BODY,INTERIOR,EXTERIOR IN EXCELLENT CONDITION. EASY VEHICLE TO SERVICE. SUPER FAST ON THE INTERSTATE & AROUND WASHINGTON,DC CAPITAL BELTWAY. VEHICLE FACTORY EQUIPPED BURGLAR ALARM,ENGINE IMMOBOLIZER,RADIO ANTI-THEFT ACTIVATED WITH THE LOCK OF DOORS. WILL NEED TO SELL DUE TO CANCER."

11 years and still my favorite car

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, great mileage, dependable"

Cons: "seats don't hold up,needs custom tune post warrant"

"I was middle aged when I purchased this car 11 years ago, now a senior and i still enjoy this car. I have only been towed once in 168k, the turbo blew. It was tuned 2.5 years ago and mileage actually improved to a city/hwy average of 42mpg and I have achieved 50+ on a few trips even with a heavy r foot. It handles well with decent tires and is fun on curvy roads! It carries a bunch of stuff capably."

Excellent to drive, but starting to eat parts!

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, good styling"

Cons: "Plastic parts and sensors tend to fail early"

"My experience with this car started at 103,000 miles. It has been fairly reliable, leaving us on the side of the road only one time with a failed crankshaft sensor. Since that time, there has been one other expensive, non-scheduled repair involving the rear O2 sensor and the mass airflow sensor. We are now looking at a fairly complete F/R suspension overhaul and the need for clutch replacement at some point. Prior to all this however, during the first owner's experience, unscheduled maintenance was very low. Despite all said above, the car delivered about 120,000 miles before starting to pile up the old-age wear-out items noted. If I were to start over, I might go for a newer Jetta, if it is as pleasant to drive as this one has been."