2002 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1498 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Peppy, Reliable, and FUN.

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Handling, gas mileage"

Cons: "Interior, cheap plastic"

"When I purchased this car, I was kind of worried about the electrical issues on the older VW's. But this one I have never once had anything go wrong. Just one sensor and the catalytic converter. Cheap fixes. One thing I would reccomend is getting one with alloy wheels, not hubcaps. They fall off too easily. And the tan interior shows dirt REALLY bad."

money pit

By on Monday, April 21, 2008

"I had my jetta for three weeks before the motor blew up going down the road and left me stranded. After a very expensive overhaul it was up and going again in a month and a half. Then the tranny began to have problems shifting and staying in gears. We ended up having to put a 4500 dollar new tranny in it after reverse went out completly. Now that we have it back again we recently found out that the turbo is leaking oil into the motor and now we have to put another 2000 into a new turbo. before we can begin driving it again. keep in mind that all of this has happened within a nine month period."

I wanted a Jetta for over 10 Years!

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "Great Handling, Great Reliability, Great Price"

Cons: "No backseat cupholders, Little Console room"

"My roommate had a New Jetta every year she went home for the holidays. I drove hers often. The last model she owed was the TDI and was impressed by Gas Mileage, comfort, and handling of the vehicle. I finally purchased the Jetta GLS Sedan 2 years ago. I took it to mechanic before purchasing and had very few issues, which the used dealer fixed after the checkout. I was also told that around 100,000 miles, a very costly part needed to be replaced. It's still running without replacement. There is only 1 VW dealership where I live, and had to go to them to get antifreeze that was low due to the type used in VW, it's the only place to get it. I bought this car used, as it was affordable, in great condition with nearly 100,000 miles on it. It's a Manual transmission, easy to drive, however, I recommend using a Bluetooth if you plan on talking on the phone. It has a large gas tank, I believe 15-17 gallons, and my in town mileage is not great. I can go about 400 miles to a tank of gas. I would have anticipated better mileage on a 4 cylinder 5 speed. However, overall the HANDLING of this model is tremendous! I just recently realized that I need new tires due to minor slipping on wet roads from a complete stop. I've not any issues with slipping or sliding in rain or ice for 2 years. The second vehicle in the house, much newer and more costly, slides on damp pavement, with new tires, giving me more appreciation for the design, handling, and feeling of safety that my Jetta provides me and my family. It's a wonderful vehicle, and hope that it stays in my family for many more years!"

TDI Gas Mileage Rocks!

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"We bought our Jetts TDI in 2000, because of the gas mileage. We average 50 mpg for running around town and my commute. This summer drove to Tennessee and got 60-65 mpg. Problems: Cylinder issues year 4, fixed at dealership first time. Glow plugs year 4, driver's power window broke year 6, husband fixed. Back seat cup holder broke month 6, front cup holder year seven, It was incredibly pesky, but now I miss it, since the car is manual. Dealer said it would be $200 to fix back cup holder, don't want to think what the front cup holder would cost! Lots of room for driver and front passenger, I cannot ride in back without getting car sick. It isn't comfortable unless you are a size zero which will work for my daughter and her friends. LOL. Love the trunk it will fit my massage table plus luggage for 3 women. My husband calls it the bottemless trunk. I did manage to fill it up for camping once. I would buy another, though I think I am going to get the wagon next time and hope for more room in the back seat."

Warning

By on Sunday, September 16, 2007

"I bought this car used about three and a half years ago. It ran really well and was fun to drive. Since then, I have had two recalls, my sterio just stopped working, and at times I think the whole thing is just gonna fall apart like in the cartoons. Its true also that you feel like your beating it up all the time. Everything you drive over no matter how slow youre going, the bottom just eats the road. I have kept it up even though it costs an arm and a leg. The oil burns so fast and you really have to remember to check it often. The lights always go out the paint on the door handles and things peels off, and the front vents will fall off if you dont pay attenion and pop them back in. The bumper also can just pop off on the corners. I've also had a terrible time with all the dealerships. They do not know how to treat customers. I had to contact corporate just to get the owners manual that they forgot to give me and wanted to charge me like 90$ for. Also, after about two years they smell like crayons! Everyone I know who has one has said the same. There are positives, they are incredibly safe, the trunk is huge, and its cozy. But I'm sorry to say that I would never recommend this car nor buy another one."