2001 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1499 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

WARNING: Has to be serviced by VW dealer only

By on Monday, October 26, 2009

"We owned this car for five years and had several problems with the brake light switch that would cause the gear shifter to lock up making the car unusable. Two brake switch repairs were under warranty and recall, the third time it cost me $350.00 once the car went out of warranty. This car is engineered and designed to be serviced by VW technicians only. You can't even put in your own transmission fluid, you need to have a dealership do that and expect to pay $$$. The car needs specalized equptment to service so expect to really pay out for any needed repair. CD player stopped working at 25,000 miles.... the aluminum wheels seize up on the hub and are next to impossible to get off yourself if you ever get a flat! Expect to be stranded along the roadside, even a sledge hammer wouldn't get the wheel off. We got tired of getting overcharged by the VW dealer for routine maintenance , I traded in our Jetta at 90,000 miles and will never buy another Volkswagen product again. Good Riddance!"

Ok Car...

By on Saturday, September 5, 2009

"I love my '01 Jetta GLS, it's a beautiful car and drives nicely. Unfortunately it's been costly to maintain. My center concole broke, the knob for the mirror adjustments snapped off randomly, my emergency brake light beeps when the circulating air button is on, and I recently replaced the entire exaust system (over $2,000!) and still have problems with a "whoosh"ing sound.... If I continue to maintain it, I'm sure it will last me forever, I just want a hassel-free car."

By on Thursday, August 13, 2009

"I will never buy antoher VW in my life i have had nothing but problems with this car. I cannot wait until the day i pay it off. I will be trading it in as soon as i make that last payment. I have had this car for 4 years and have put more than $5,000 into it and i still need more work done thats going to be another $2,000."

What hype-brid?

By on Monday, June 1, 2009

"This car is the best blend of economy, style and value. I get 43 MPG on average with the A/C on most of the time. It has never left me stranded or broken down, only been to the dealer once for a recall. Best advice I can give you, stay away from dealership service and you'll be better off. Get yourself a VCDS diagnosing system and the car will tell you where it hurts. It'll be easy enough to fix and much cheaper if you do it yourself. I've put 80K miles in 3 years with no headaches ever; the best car purchase I've made. Please don't fall for the hype-brid marketing gimmicks, you won't get the advertised mileage and you'll hate driving something with no personality."

Horrified!!!!!

By on Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"I have a 2004 Jetta 1.8 Turbo. I bought it brand new and after a year the car has given me problem after problem. I had oil slug, water pump fell apart, car not shifting into gear correctly, raving extremely high, shakes really hard when I hit 60mph. It's been in the shop numerous times. I would not recommend the vehicle to my worst enemy."

TERRIBLE

By on Saturday, January 3, 2009

"I think I ended up with the lemon from the bunch, but I've had nothing but issues with what was supposed to be a reliable car. The driver window fell down in the door within two weeks of having it (bought it used; it's an 02 and I got it in 05 with 66k miles). Replaced the alternator (and battery, subsequently) twice. Needs work in the steering column. Brake lights come on and off randomly (but the brakes work just fine). Ignition coils had to be replaced. Some Jettas may be reliable, but labor and parts for this car add up quickly and are NEVER cheap. Get a Honda (like I'm trying to do right now)."

Has been a reliable car from day one

By on Friday, December 5, 2008

"Had mine since it was new. 100K+ miles later and it still runs like new. I can see how repairs would be a problem in some areas, but not for me...although they can be pricey. Mileage is excellent, around 40 city and around 50 highway. The most comfortable small car I've ever been in. If you buy one, you will need to change some things about the way you drive. Can't 'floor' it...it's fast but you have to learn to excellerate in it. Cold weather? You MUST warm it up first...and buy fuel additive if you live somewhere where it goes below 10 degrees in the winter. Even with the heaters for fuel...the additive is a good backup."

an ok used car

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"I have had this car for 2 years. Since I have owned it, I have had a handful of things go wrong. First the impeller on the water pump broke, causing the car to overheat. At the same time I opted to have the timing belt replaced to save on labor cost later on. The light on the heater controls quit working. Their is peeling going on inside on the door handles that looks bad, and a coolant light that blinks on intermittently- with no explanation. The car is expensive to maintain, I'm not sure by statistics that I have read, that I will keep this car for very much longer."

constant check engine lights

By on Sunday, October 26, 2008

"Frequent trips to the dealer. Worst reliability of any car I have owned. When it runs, it runs well. This car has had the transmission replaced, and multiple attempts (every six months) for fuel injection malfunctions. It has been maintained by the dealer with synthetic oil changes and runs only on premium gas. We should be buying mass air flow sensors for this vehicle by the case"

Can't judge a book by it's cover...

By on Friday, July 18, 2008

"I bought my 2000 Jetta, used, in 2001 (low miles, mechanic checked). I loved the looks and the styling. The person who said "you can't judge a book by it's cover", was probably a 2000 VW Jetta owner. It has been one thing after another-starting in 2002-@2 years old. Glove box fell apart (I had probably opened the thing 10 times prior). The interior trim coating on the doors flaked off, the drink tray and cover are flimsy, and I've had to replace 2 times- (dealership wants $300 bucks to fix/replace). THe sunroof leaks and doesn't work, The paint on many of the knobs rubs off /worn easily. The door handles came apart from the door (another $300 to fix), the stereo wiring is faulty (stereo works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't). The front spoiler is too low and if you tap it on anything it will fall off-I've had to replace it 7 times. I know others who own these and have had the same problem with front spoiler. This car is not driven roughly. This car is 8 years old and has only 80,000 miles on it. I have had few problems mechanically, but, cosmetically this car has not held up well at all. Would not buy another."