2001 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1497 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

absolutely love it compares to my bmw

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

Pros: "high quality with German performance"

Cons: "small interior for a big person"

"I have owned this car since new and passed it to my 20 something daughter who uses it to commute on one of the most heavily traveled highways in the US. This car is a pleasure to drive! German engineering in a big 6 cylinder gives it responsiveness, tightness and a good feel for the road. It can be trusted to accelerate when necessary and stop on a dime. Maintenance has been low for high mileage. It is a workhorse that is safe and sexy. I returned to bmw's as my car of choice but this little sweetheart stole my heart! I love getting back into it every time I can. The blue dash lights and courtesy lights at night, the leather, the pleasing esthetics and design all give me such delight."

Great except for costly, constant repairs

By on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pros: "cheap to start with, stylish, comfortable"

Cons: "REPAIRS! Interior is a little cramped"

"I LOVE my Diesel Jetta. Oh yeah, except for having to replace the fuel pump, the turbocharger (twice), the transmission, and the emissions system. I love the fuel mileage, but any savings I ever had in fuel have been eaten up with costly repairs. Volkwagen has proprietary parts, so there is no alternative to going for their expensive parts. I have had factory recommended maintenance from the dealer, but I have still had repair after repair. I have truly enjoyed the ride, the style, and the fuel economy, but I cannot recommend this car, and I will not buy a Volkswagen again."

money pit

By on Monday, April 21, 2008

"I had my jetta for three weeks before the motor blew up going down the road and left me stranded. After a very expensive overhaul it was up and going again in a month and a half. Then the tranny began to have problems shifting and staying in gears. We ended up having to put a 4500 dollar new tranny in it after reverse went out completly. Now that we have it back again we recently found out that the turbo is leaking oil into the motor and now we have to put another 2000 into a new turbo. before we can begin driving it again. keep in mind that all of this has happened within a nine month period."

I wanted a Jetta for over 10 Years!

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "Great Handling, Great Reliability, Great Price"

Cons: "No backseat cupholders, Little Console room"

"My roommate had a New Jetta every year she went home for the holidays. I drove hers often. The last model she owed was the TDI and was impressed by Gas Mileage, comfort, and handling of the vehicle. I finally purchased the Jetta GLS Sedan 2 years ago. I took it to mechanic before purchasing and had very few issues, which the used dealer fixed after the checkout. I was also told that around 100,000 miles, a very costly part needed to be replaced. It's still running without replacement. There is only 1 VW dealership where I live, and had to go to them to get antifreeze that was low due to the type used in VW, it's the only place to get it. I bought this car used, as it was affordable, in great condition with nearly 100,000 miles on it. It's a Manual transmission, easy to drive, however, I recommend using a Bluetooth if you plan on talking on the phone. It has a large gas tank, I believe 15-17 gallons, and my in town mileage is not great. I can go about 400 miles to a tank of gas. I would have anticipated better mileage on a 4 cylinder 5 speed. However, overall the HANDLING of this model is tremendous! I just recently realized that I need new tires due to minor slipping on wet roads from a complete stop. I've not any issues with slipping or sliding in rain or ice for 2 years. The second vehicle in the house, much newer and more costly, slides on damp pavement, with new tires, giving me more appreciation for the design, handling, and feeling of safety that my Jetta provides me and my family. It's a wonderful vehicle, and hope that it stays in my family for many more years!"

Peppy, Reliable, and FUN.

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Handling, gas mileage"

Cons: "Interior, cheap plastic"

"When I purchased this car, I was kind of worried about the electrical issues on the older VW's. But this one I have never once had anything go wrong. Just one sensor and the catalytic converter. Cheap fixes. One thing I would reccomend is getting one with alloy wheels, not hubcaps. They fall off too easily. And the tan interior shows dirt REALLY bad."

Amazing car

By on Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pros: "Amazing value and performance, reliability."

Cons: "Qualified mechanics can be hard to find."

"My Jetta is a 2003 TDI with just over 250K on the odometer. Bought it very lightly used 6-1/2 years ago. It still gets 45 mpg day in and day out, driving about 700 miles a week. After I had put 120000 more miles on it, a nearby dealer made an offer to buy it for what I had paid for it. This is my second VW diesel--the first was a 1979 Rabbit that I drove for about 11 years. These are great cars."

Fun driver

By on Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"I bought my 2000 GLX new in Feb. 2000 and have logged 82,000 miles. Car is well-maintained and has always been serviced by the dealership. I've never owned a better driving car. Consistently get 26-27 mpg on the highway and 16-20 around town depending on density of traffic and stop and go. Switched from premium to mid-grade when gas went over $2.50/gal with no noticable difference in mileage or performance. With a VR6 engine it scats like a cat. Wheels will chirp if you aren't careful when taking off from a stop. Engine and automatic trans. are well matched to the weight of the car. The list of standard equipment is impressive. The anti-lock breaks perform well even in a panic situation. The rain-sensitive wipers are cool as is the self-dimming mirror. I love the right side mirror that tilts downward to view the curb when parallel parking. The heated, electrically operated front seats provide excellent lumbar support. With the adjustable steering column it's impossible not to find a comfortable driving position unless your unusually tall. Mechanically the engine has been terrific but I've had more problems with the coolant and pollution control systems than I would have expected. I replaced the rear brakes and original tires at 60,000 miles. Front pads are still serviceable - checked at every service. Love the Monsoon sound, the well-tailored leather interior and the fit and quality of every component. Car has always been garaged and the Atlantic Blue clearcoat finish still looks new thanks to Mother's Carnauba wax. I would recommend a Jetta VR6 to anyone looking for a car that won't give you a lot of engine headaches. The greater dependability over the 4 cylinder is worth the slight mileage penalty. I wanted a car that wasn't going to grow old on me quickly and I got exactly what I was hoping for."

great mpg

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"I have had the car a couple of years now bought it used with 51K on it. It is a 2004 Jetta GL wagon TDI. Ihave taken it on many trips and got 49.8 MPG avg. I did put in a K&N air filter it gave me 2 to 3 MPG. I only use the VW 50501 oil and the oil stays clean. I now have 100,000 miles on it and the only repair I had to make was a timing belt and water pump only because it was recommended by VW at 80,000 miles. By doing it before it goes out saved me $2500 in repair of damage it would have caused to the motor if I had waited until it went out. I did the work myself and it cost about $400. Overall the car is great and very dependable best MPG of any car I ever owned and performance is not bad either very peppy. I would definitely buy another one."

Biggest Mistake of My Life

By on Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"Buying my 2002 Jetta quickly became the biggest mistake of my life. I owned a 92 Corolla that was falling apart that was more dependable. In the two years i've owned my Jetta (purchased it in 06) The heated seats have caught fire, the hazard lights have a short which causes them to click non stop like they're on (when they're not), my windshield cracked without being hit (and without bad weather), it has had complete power failure while driving in a major intersection three times, i've had to have the alternator replaced, spark plugs, fans, countless hoses, pumps, and not to mention the battery replaced four times so far. There was also a problem where the car would not shift gears, instead the engine was groan and then the entire car would shake violently (because of a short with the break light). Another time my car refused to shift gears and accelerate causing my car to shake violently while on my way to work. It has been nothing but recalls, problems and stress. I'm paying more money for it than I should have (thanks to the dealership) and on top of that i pump ungodly amounts just to keep it running (which doesnt work because it leaves me sitting in parking lots on a regular basis). It literally breaks down for at least a week every other month, and i've known others with the same jetta that had the same problems. Oh...and the Stereo/Cd Player/Radio just died the month after I got the car. It has power, it is just frozen on one channel and has no volume..it also refuses to play any type of cd or casset."

Fun to drive, but no Peace

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"We bought our 2001 1.8L Turbo, Wolfsburg new. While still making payments we've replaced: the transmission (lifetime warranty on the powertrain - 2001 was last year for this), catalytic converter, every seal several times ~ still cleaning oil off my driveway ~ , water pump, timing chain, alternator, oil pan (somebody somehow stripped the plug so we had to replace the whole thing - $600!), and all other major funtional engine parts have been replaced. If not that then the usual normal oil change and batteries in between dropoffs to the mechanic. It's like we were making double payments until it was paid off, now just a single payment. Numerous recalls - we can't recall them all, and one sits on the table yet again. Think arranging your schedule to drop car off to the dealer or mechanic just about every month. Unfixed items remain: the cup holder in front, clip to the center console, spring on passenger seat that moves it, clip on visor, the upgraded 6 CD changer that intermittently recognizes your CD and is in the trunk (you have to stop the car, get in and out several times to get it to play your CD, from day one) - all kinds of little stuff that eliminates the great gas mileage and joy in the turbo and handling - great when we're not on our way to the mechanic! ... and breaks your budget. Nothing inside has broken for about 6 months, so we're saving our $50's and $100's to get the pesky things fixed...or not. I loved my '87 Jetta, should have kept it. Hear great things still about these Jetta's, but we've had a bad experience and are looking for a different vehicle so hopefully we can go, say, 4 months without seeing our mechanic - you know, for an oil change."