2001 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1497 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

TDI Gas Mileage Rocks!

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"We bought our Jetts TDI in 2000, because of the gas mileage. We average 50 mpg for running around town and my commute. This summer drove to Tennessee and got 60-65 mpg. Problems: Cylinder issues year 4, fixed at dealership first time. Glow plugs year 4, driver's power window broke year 6, husband fixed. Back seat cup holder broke month 6, front cup holder year seven, It was incredibly pesky, but now I miss it, since the car is manual. Dealer said it would be $200 to fix back cup holder, don't want to think what the front cup holder would cost! Lots of room for driver and front passenger, I cannot ride in back without getting car sick. It isn't comfortable unless you are a size zero which will work for my daughter and her friends. LOL. Love the trunk it will fit my massage table plus luggage for 3 women. My husband calls it the bottemless trunk. I did manage to fill it up for camping once. I would buy another, though I think I am going to get the wagon next time and hope for more room in the back seat."

Warning

By on Sunday, September 16, 2007

"I bought this car used about three and a half years ago. It ran really well and was fun to drive. Since then, I have had two recalls, my sterio just stopped working, and at times I think the whole thing is just gonna fall apart like in the cartoons. Its true also that you feel like your beating it up all the time. Everything you drive over no matter how slow youre going, the bottom just eats the road. I have kept it up even though it costs an arm and a leg. The oil burns so fast and you really have to remember to check it often. The lights always go out the paint on the door handles and things peels off, and the front vents will fall off if you dont pay attenion and pop them back in. The bumper also can just pop off on the corners. I've also had a terrible time with all the dealerships. They do not know how to treat customers. I had to contact corporate just to get the owners manual that they forgot to give me and wanted to charge me like 90$ for. Also, after about two years they smell like crayons! Everyone I know who has one has said the same. There are positives, they are incredibly safe, the trunk is huge, and its cozy. But I'm sorry to say that I would never recommend this car nor buy another one."

Below expectations

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"Reliability of the vehicle and ability to obtain proper troubleshooting for mechnaical repair is poor."

Favorite Vehicle So Far

By on Monday, July 9, 2007

"This car great Performance and has quality Comfort. Drawbacks are the constant maintenance and price of fixing/replacing parts. Issues are well known and tend to happen to all owners of this vehicle. If you are going to purchase this car, you better have a good, and knowledgeable mechanic."

a superb car!

By on Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Pros: "drives like a sports car"

Cons: "must appreciate VW's"

VW Jetta 'sport wagon' looking good

"Awesome car. German built. Great condition. Runs and drives superbly. Factory sports suspension with Bilstein shocks, 17" with Conti performance tires for summer and seperate set of 16" steel wheels with Nokian Hak R's for winter. All major work recently done (engine, trans, suspension, steering, brakes, etc.). Really nice inside and out. Loaded. Needs nothing!"

VW Jetta 'sport wagon' looking good