2000 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1496 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

overall solid car, forget the horsepower(lack of!)

By on Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Pros: "Good value, solid build quality, tons of airbags"

Cons: "sun roof drainage, poor horsepower"

"This is my wifes car. 2.0 liter automatic. She brought it new and has only 47k on it. Basically used for short commuting distances. Car is basically comfortable enough even on long drives. Gas mileage is ok but should be better given the small displacement engine. Solid German engineering. No major mechanical problems to speak of except for a very poorly designed sun roof drainage system, which clogs very easily and results in significant flooding inside the car during heavy rains. Major complaint is regarding the horsepower, or should I say lack of. This thing can't get out of it's own way even on slight inclines. Once you get it going though it rides very smooth for a compact sedan."

Good Vehicle

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"i am second owner and the only problem i've had is a fuel pump. Have owned the car for 5 years and it gives me 27mpg."

Performs as advertised

By on Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pros: "Great mileage"

Cons: "Expensive parts, few choices but the dealer"

"I've had this TDI (Diesel) for 5 years buying off a dealer lot with 30,000 miles coming off of a lease. It has performed as expected, never missed a start, and gotten better than advertised mileage. It has not been without some glitches though. My biggest complaint is the lack of heat in the Winter during warm-up. Because the engine is so efficient, it needs be driven to put a load on engine to produce heat. There are after market products which I have not tested and I do not know if newer models have solved this problem. Parts are expensive and in many cases, only the dealer has the service and parts you need. Be very selective on your tires, I recommend the Michelin Harmony. Stay up on your maintence and change your fuel filter every other oil changes. Using synthetic oil I've only had to change every 10,000 miles. Do not miss your 80,000 mile change on your water pump and timing belt. A failed timing belt will destroy this engine. If you have an automatic you cannot have a remote starter installed, if you have one, it must be removed. What I love is getting 500 plus miles a tank in combined city/freeway driving. The interior is quiet but the outside is noisy. Start-up in cold weather use glow plugs and it takes a few extra seconds till the engine is ready to start but I've never had any issues with diesel gelling. I am very careful where I buy my fuel and recommend you buy it a facility that has very high turn-over. I use a place that has their own tow trucks and they fill from the same tanks. Do not try to save a few pennies when buying diesel. I could babble on but I think I've covered the main points. Good luck and happy Dieseling."

Its not that great of a car!

By on Saturday, February 4, 2012

"Its true that around 80,000 miles the transmission does start to act up!! UGHHHHH!!! Gotta go buy a new car. Ever since I got this one I have had nothing but engine trouble with it!"

DO NOT BUY!!!

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros: "It's good for a single person, not a family car"

Cons: "expensive to maintain, too small"

"This was one of the worst cars I have ever owned. It broke down and was near impossible to fix. So if you are a certified Volkswagen mechanic and know how to get your parts for cheap, go ahead and buy one. If not, just walk away...."

Third TDI. 2006 2004 and 2001. Theres a reason.

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pros: "mpgs, drivers car,"

Cons: "you must do scheduled maintenance- duhh!!"

"I've had a 2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd, 2004 Jetta TDI 5 spd auto, 1979 rabbit diesel 4 spd and now a 2001 Golf TDI. 99.5 to 2003 with the ALH motor instead of the BEW pd in the later models is the way to go. If you must drive automatic 2004 and later is the way to go- ex couldn't drive stick. The 2004 is the best looking imho and they all need pin stripes of course. The 2001 Golf drives the best. The 2006 is more family sized- rear ac vent- dang!! I see american cars still made without rear ac. The new jettas are a no go imho- heard they had bad reviews and they look like a camry- ouch. Save your money and go with an older model. Stick with the golfs if you must go new. 2006 hwy 48 mpg. 2004 44 mpg. 1979 40 mpg. 2001 47 mpg and i drive it hard- stick is too much fun. Reliability- these tdi must be maintained just like any diesel. If you want to wait for things to break then their reliability is going to go down- i waited on some things like mass air flow sensor, thermostat, egr valve cleaning, fuel sending unit, yadda yadda. Either way none of these cars has ever stranded me. Do not put off the timing belt, water pump, tensioners. You want to drive the rest of it till the wheels fall off go for it. At least your motor is worth 2-5g running."

By on Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, great on gas"

Cons: "Cost of service"

"I have owned my Jetta for just about 7 years"

Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Pros: "great reliability, good MPG, lots of trunk space."

Cons: "Too few cup holders"

"I have had many VWs. I was stationed in Germany for 3.5 years and had euro models. So when I got back to the US, I headed straight for the dealership. I got a low milage 2001 in 2008. This vehicle has started regardless of the freezing CO temps. I wasn't great about servicing (sometimes going 3000 miles over the need for an oil change) and i still got 28-30 MPG. The clutch never failed, and it has great pick up and pep. And the trunk is huge. i carry a lot of gear with me and I've never had a problem fitting anything. The only flaws would be the lack of cup holders. As silly as it sounds, this is a big deal for me. i have kids, and being in the military, I spend a lot of time in my car. also, having to crank a knob to recline the seat was a pain in the you know where. But, I have taken naps in the car no problem. Over all, I love this car. I only gave it up because of the wear and tear I imposed on it. I was trading it in for a new Jetta, but went with Chevy, only cause my budget is tight."

Quality car that has lasted the miles

By on Saturday, November 5, 2011

"With the 1.8L turbo and 5sp this car is a joy to drive. After years of abuse the car workmanship and materials have held up surprisingly well. Look forward to another 200000 with this car."

Take car of it, and it will take care of you

By on Friday, November 4, 2011

Pros: "Handles great, looks great, fun to drive"

Cons: "cloth seats attract/trap hair, minor elec probs"

"The jetta itself is a very well made car, just make sure you buy one with the right engine. The jettas of this era with 2.0l engines or 2.8l engines N/A are the only jettas you will want to seek out as the engines last, the 1.8t engine isnt so reliable, it constantly throws codes at higher milages and can either leave you broke or so mad you want to sell the car, or worse. Ive had my 2.8l vr6 24v jetta for about 5 years now and have minor issues and plan to keep the car for awhile. The interior tho while comfortable does have a few minor cheap qualities mainly all electrical related, my windows have given me alittle trouble and my tape deck stopped working, but honestly who needs a tape deck now adays. Car handles great its comfortable and its pretty fast for a 2.8l i strongly recommend the vr6 jettas to anyone in the market for a used jetta!"

Still not tired of it...

By on Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pros: "Styling, Performance, Features"

Cons: "Small Back Seat"

"I've owned this car for over 8 years now and Im still not tired of it. It has drove me through college, 1st job and 2nd job. The quality of the interior is great, stock sound system still competes with the best... Engine performance never left me dissappointed 1.8t was one of the best engines ever. Still averaging 30mpg. I will never sell it until it completely gives up. I have 180k miles and it still drives like when I drove it off the dealer lot."

Good reliable transportation with nice lines.

By on Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pros: "See above"

Cons: "See above"

Still looking good after 10 years!

"2000 New Jetta GLS sedan, Reflex Silver over black, 2.0L gas 4cyl./AT. Purchased Certified Pre-Owned in 2001 with 14K miles. Currently has 86K miles. Body, drivetrain, suspension and exhaust have held up very well with proper routine maintenance. Pros include great styling, mechanically relatively simple, 4 cyl. engine offers lots of power with 30 MPG avg., and it rides and handles like it was built for the Autobahn....because it was. Cons include flimsy, below average plastic parts, like the oil dipstick tube, coolant junction flange, original antenna, and cupholder, which will fail with some regularity. Programmed electronics, like power window regulators and keyless entry system are over-complicated and very expensive to repair, and sealed automatic transmission can't be readily checked or serviced. Has not been problematic outside of the cheap plastics. Catalytic converter burned out @ 45K miles and was replaced under warranty. On the whole, a great, fun car I would buy again....especially if they were still being built in Germany."

Still looking good after 10 years!

I love this car

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "Ride, responsiveness, looks"

Cons: "Rear seat leg room"

"I got it at 89000 and the riding as been smooth ever since. Beautiful car with a sporty twist to it. Plenty of wow factor. Just don't expect too much leg room in back- this car was made for young professionals."

I love it but...

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

Pros: "great gas mileage, sound system, comfort level."

Cons: "no CD player, expensive repairs."

"I absolutely love this car. I have had it for a bit (it was my grandfathers, and when he passed away, my grandmother was kind enough to let me have it) and the pro's most definitely out-weigh the cons."

Love my car I'll only drive a VW!

By on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, great gas mileage!"

"I love my VW Jetta GL. Fun to drive with great gas mileage! The price is great for the quality of this car. I have never had a problem with my Jetta, rountine maintainence and TLC is all a VW needs to perform its best. I love the non complicated design of this car. IT's perfect for a city car to get you where you need to go!"

LOVE IT - highly recommend

By on Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pros: "Great value, fun to drive, economical, large trunk"

Cons: "Not a lot of leg room in the back seat"

"I bought my 2005 Jetta new and have put almost $178,000 miles on it (mostly highway miles). I've used the car to move about 10 times and I've been able to squeeze so much into the little car because of the large trunk and fold-down rear seats. The car is fun to drive and I haven't had any problems in the snow or ice (Iowa winters), driving slower helps, obviously. It's just starting to sound a little funny, the engine runs a little louder than when it was brand new, but what do you expect with that many miles on it? Getting ready to trade it in for something a little newer and larger but I love everything about this car and highly recommend it."

Have mixed feelings

By on Monday, September 12, 2011

Pros: "MPG!!!, It's German...what else needs to be said."

Cons: "Cost of operation/parts/repair"

"I have a 2002 and I bought it in 2005 (second owner). Car had 50,000 miles (curently 213,000) great except for when somthing goes wrong expect to sell you first child to pay for it. I have enjoyed the performance aspect of the car, wonderful handeling and MPG (avg. 49.5). There are some bad parts in the car that keep going out. Timing belt needs to be changed out every 40,000 and that will cost you about $750.00. The orignal water pump was made of plastic, if that goes out you will find a good $4000.00 repair bill, (water pump in on timing belt, thus pump goes out, car not happy) yes I know this from sad experience. I have had a number of sensors go out(avg. $250.00 parts $150.00 labor/diagnostics = $400.00), and when it strats to happen 1 every month for 6 months, you might as well get a new car. Overall, if car was not so expensice to repair, I would buy another one in a heart beat."

HORRIBLE CAR!!

By on Sunday, April 17, 2011

"If your cam sensor hasn't come on yet...it will. Expect it around 120,000 miles. Our model was the Jetta GLS Sedan VR6. This car was good...for about 20,000 miles. Then we started having problems. Lifters ticking, tention rod making noises, starter replaced, fly wheel replaced, thermostat replaced, water pump replaced, oil pan replaced, front end of car suspention on left side replaced. Finally check engine light came on and we'd had enough, we finally sold it. If your a big person or like to carry passangers don't buy this car it is so small inside. It looks super cute, fun and fast but not reliable. It may be a good car for your kids to beat up for their first car or for commuting. Other than that I wouldn't purchase stay away from VW."

Love this car

By on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"I bought my Jetta TDI new off the lot in 2004. I LOVE it. It gets between 35 and 45 mpg. It has had a few problems, but nothing major. Radiator fan died after 5 years, I have had to replace a few of the sensors over the years. It has retained it s value really well. I paid just over 21,000 all in and I checked the KBB today at 7 years and 75000 miles It still has a trade in of over 7500."

By on Thursday, October 14, 2010

"It's cute, it's sporty. It drives like a dream. It's comfortable and roomier inside than it looks. However, as many Jetta owners will tell you - the check engine light is always on. There's always SOMETHING that needs to be fixed. The computer system is very sensative and turns on the check engine light when nothing serious is wrong. It makes inspections difficult and it makes you worry that driving too far out of town is a bad idea. By the way, it also only takes mid grade fuel, but it does get good gas mileage. It's a good looking car that has aged well, still looks like new - except for the check engine light."

Stuck with me through it all

By on Thursday, September 9, 2010

"I have driven this car from one coast to another and back...twice, put 100k on it so far. RUNS GREAT, haven't had a single problem (minus me putting a dent in the oil pan and having to replace it). I got in a fender bender once and the parts are expensive and and so is labor on this car but honestly its been worth it because its been awesome! This car is super practical and fun and comfortable to drive. Whenever I drive someone else's car and then drive mine I'm grateful. Compact and versatile too, I can fold down the seats and fit two 8' surfboards in it...and parallel park in the tight spot close to the beach. really couldn't ask for more."

2001 vw jetta tdi

By on Monday, August 16, 2010

"I have owned the car for 6 years, parts and labor are expensive but overall the car has been very reliable, great on gas (deisel). Would definitely buy another one but I plan on putting a new engine in this car when needed. The exterior still looks practically new. Inside still looks great. Just becareful where you leave parked, someone has stolen my center caps, and vents in front."

2001 jetta gls vr6

By on Friday, May 21, 2010

"great performance, awsome design, and good stereo. if you are looking for a new car and would like to sell it before 60,000 miles or less, this car is for you! On the other hand if you are looking to keep the car for a long time, get ready to pay hefty maintance bills. My extended waranty company spent over 8,000 dollars on this car alone. I bought the car with 65,000 miles and has had many maintance issues. I didnt pay for the bills but it was a pain in the butt to keep taking it to the dealership! engine noise, belt noise, compressor failure, TWO MOTOR SWAPS, oil leaks, and cooling system leak at the thermostat housing and water pump. great car in the beginning with low miles but I will never buy another jetta again for as long as i live. IF YOU BUY A USED JETTA GET EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE!!!"

10 years later and still the best car available

By on Friday, May 7, 2010

"Wow! They really did it right in 2001. If some domestic car companies would try to trow a small diesel engine in a midsize car, then I would buy it."

run away from VW/Audi's

By on Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"The vehicle has needed a new fuel pump relay, ignition coil, passenger seat heater switch. The vehicle still has a P0420 engine code, which may mean a reflash of the ECM based on a technical service bulliten from VW, or the Catalytic converter needs replacing. Also, the CEL is burnt out on the instrument cluster. It is a surface mount LED, not a bulb. Also, the remote unlock/lock of the key stopped working, and it was costly to get the dealer to reprogram the key.($150) You can't do this work yourself because you need to know the 7 digit secret code, which all VW dealers stopped giving out in 2005. You can't buy a used instrument cluster and get it to work in the vehicle without adapting it to ECM and the data bus with the 7 digit secret code. After reading about the problems with VW's online while investigating the numerous problems I encountered, I realized that most of the problems are common to many VW/Audis. I purchased this vehicle used. All these problems occurred in the first 6 months of ownership. I wish I never purchased this vehicle. In the future, I will never even consider owning a VW/Audi."