2000 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1499 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

TERRIBLE

By on Saturday, January 3, 2009

"I think I ended up with the lemon from the bunch, but I've had nothing but issues with what was supposed to be a reliable car. The driver window fell down in the door within two weeks of having it (bought it used; it's an 02 and I got it in 05 with 66k miles). Replaced the alternator (and battery, subsequently) twice. Needs work in the steering column. Brake lights come on and off randomly (but the brakes work just fine). Ignition coils had to be replaced. Some Jettas may be reliable, but labor and parts for this car add up quickly and are NEVER cheap. Get a Honda (like I'm trying to do right now)."

Has been a reliable car from day one

By on Friday, December 5, 2008

"Had mine since it was new. 100K+ miles later and it still runs like new. I can see how repairs would be a problem in some areas, but not for me...although they can be pricey. Mileage is excellent, around 40 city and around 50 highway. The most comfortable small car I've ever been in. If you buy one, you will need to change some things about the way you drive. Can't 'floor' it...it's fast but you have to learn to excellerate in it. Cold weather? You MUST warm it up first...and buy fuel additive if you live somewhere where it goes below 10 degrees in the winter. Even with the heaters for fuel...the additive is a good backup."

an ok used car

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"I have had this car for 2 years. Since I have owned it, I have had a handful of things go wrong. First the impeller on the water pump broke, causing the car to overheat. At the same time I opted to have the timing belt replaced to save on labor cost later on. The light on the heater controls quit working. Their is peeling going on inside on the door handles that looks bad, and a coolant light that blinks on intermittently- with no explanation. The car is expensive to maintain, I'm not sure by statistics that I have read, that I will keep this car for very much longer."

constant check engine lights

By on Sunday, October 26, 2008

"Frequent trips to the dealer. Worst reliability of any car I have owned. When it runs, it runs well. This car has had the transmission replaced, and multiple attempts (every six months) for fuel injection malfunctions. It has been maintained by the dealer with synthetic oil changes and runs only on premium gas. We should be buying mass air flow sensors for this vehicle by the case"

Can't judge a book by it's cover...

By on Friday, July 18, 2008

"I bought my 2000 Jetta, used, in 2001 (low miles, mechanic checked). I loved the looks and the styling. The person who said "you can't judge a book by it's cover", was probably a 2000 VW Jetta owner. It has been one thing after another-starting in 2002-@2 years old. Glove box fell apart (I had probably opened the thing 10 times prior). The interior trim coating on the doors flaked off, the drink tray and cover are flimsy, and I've had to replace 2 times- (dealership wants $300 bucks to fix/replace). THe sunroof leaks and doesn't work, The paint on many of the knobs rubs off /worn easily. The door handles came apart from the door (another $300 to fix), the stereo wiring is faulty (stereo works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't). The front spoiler is too low and if you tap it on anything it will fall off-I've had to replace it 7 times. I know others who own these and have had the same problem with front spoiler. This car is not driven roughly. This car is 8 years old and has only 80,000 miles on it. I have had few problems mechanically, but, cosmetically this car has not held up well at all. Would not buy another."

tdi

By on Saturday, May 24, 2008

"i reached 305,000 miles with no major problem. i drive 260 a day."

junk

By on Thursday, May 22, 2008

"This car is over engineered. Have had nothing but problems with it. We keep it serviced by Volkswagen within time and mileage. Something gets fixed and then another problem pops up. Just last week we got a $400 repair done. Suppose to be the cause of check engine light constently coming on. Guess what check engine light is back on. We have taken it to 2 different VW dealers to have the service and repairs done. This car has had way too many issues for me to include them all. Will never buy another VW."

Long drives

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2008

"I bought my 01 1.8T wolfsburg edition jetta in August of 05 for $12k with 72k miles on it. now in may of 08 have racked up to 170k miles still runs strong. I owe what its worth making only my minimum payment. Only problems I've ever had was the water pump went out, and a rear wheel berring which I replaced myself with no special tools. I did have to take the origional to a shop to have it cut off but they didnt charge me. Minor issues, the tail lights dont last long for some reason? I've noticed other Jettas having the same issue. Other than that it has been a wonderfull car, I'd recommend one to anybody!"

Best Car Ever Owned

By on Monday, May 19, 2008

"I bought this car new in September of 2003. I now have 129,000 trouble free miles on it. Mine is an automatic so I average in the low 40s mpg. I put a performance chip in mine at 4 years ago. 115 hp 170ft/lbs torque. It moves! Fun to drive dependable car. Changed the timing belt at 110,000. Cassette player quit and the seats at time get uncomfortable if you ride for a long time. Would I buy another one. Yes. Would you recommend someone buy one yes. I use Amsoil European 5w 40 synthetic oil in mine and expect it to go for another couple hundred thousand miles."

Awesome VDubb

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"I bought the car new in June 2003 with 145 mi on it from the dealer. I have approx 61k miles on it and have never had a problem with the car. It still drives the way it does when I first bought it. It's my first VW, and it won't be my last. I was concerned at first, because of the horror stories I had heard, but, this car has been well worth the money and I couldn't be happier w/it. I do get it serviced regularly every 4k miles. I love my Jet! :)"

A solid, reliable, efficient car

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"Great car. No major mechanical problems and I have 71000 miles now (crossing fingers now that I typed that). Reliable and excellent on fuel mileage. The life of the car's mileage is 41.5 mpg...not bad for an automatic. I average about 70% highway / 30% in town driving per tank. A solid car that I would love to keep, but a growing family might prevent that. A little small on the inside for a 6'2" man. If no one is in the back, it's no big deal though. Seats go back far enough."

Great biodiesel user

By on Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"I bought this car because I wanted to be able to use biodiesel, which is available in this area. Then I found out how fun it is to drive! After having it more than a year, I still love to drive it and have used biodiesel and petrodiesel in any mixture. It runs great with both and have done oil changes but no repairs other than taillight bulbs. The pump diesel in the 04-06 vw's has great torque and using biodiesel really lowers the pollution. My combined city/highway fuel mileage is 42 mpg."

Pretty, but Mechanically Poor

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"I loved this car when I first bought it until it kept having maintenance lights go off. I found a good mechanic who told me that 1998-2001 Jettas were by far the cars he had come in with the most problems. I bought the car for its safety features, which are impressive, but the continual mechanical failures weren't worth it. Also, if you have kids, the space isn't sufficient for two adult (5'8" & taller) to have comfortable leg room in the front with a rear-facing infant seat."

Super Sporty and Classy

By on Saturday, July 7, 2007

"I've owned over 15 Volkswagens in my lifetime and by far I believe that the 2003 Jetta GLS is the best looking, more stylish and"

good car

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "fun car, great daily driver"

Cons: "coilpacks! doorlocks!"

"i have owned the car for a year and its awesome so far at 165k miles. the vr6 is the only way to go. way more reliable and has more power, although you feel it in the mpg about 24 city and highway average. problems so far consist mainly of coil packs. also i have had a couple of problems with door locks, but other than that its been a very good car."

Great Car For Me

By on Monday, September 9, 2013

Pros: "Great milage and sound system"

Cons: "Small backseat"

"This car has been everything I've wanted in a VW Jetta. I purchased it to have the diesel engine because it gets such great milage, and actually got a very reliable and comfortable car. I gave this car all 10s except for Design and Comfort and Convenience to which I gave 9s because of the small back seat, which can comfortably seat children but not regular sized adults. I have driven with 5 adults in the car, but the people in the back were regular sized women, who were squashed in. That being said, I have no other complaints about this car. I have had to put little maintenance into it, and only regular maintenance at that, except for a battery cable. It has the original battery and original brake pads. I love the power roof window since it opens both as a slider and flip up. The Monsoon sound system is outstandingly good, and this car is very comfortable to drive on long trips. I have always felt safe in it, and while driving with passengers, have felt comfortable. At one time I weighed 350 lbs and comfortably drove this car with passengers, including my nephew who also weighed about 350 lbs, and we were both comfortable in it. When I first owned this car, I kept track of the milage, getting an average of 40 mpg (city and highway), which really sold me on the diesel engine. This is my second Jetta diesel."

Worth the money due to build quality

By on Sunday, September 1, 2013

Pros: "Base package more opulent than comparable cars"

Cons: "No GPS or other tech features"

"The price, when seen by others comparing to domestic auto prices, seems high. However, once they get in the seat and realise the quality of the car's build, they begin to understand better. Many features are considered standard for these cars. I'd rrecommend against getting an automatic transmission for Volkswagens, as I've heard many people speak out against VW's auto-trannies. These cars have quieter rides than many of their much more expensive equivalents. Reliability is very high for these cars. Just keep your fluid levels good and your Jetta will be your best friend. No navi or Bluetooth, but considering year these weren't likely existent. A great commuter car; upholds "elegance in simplicity.""

overall solid car, forget the horsepower(lack of!)

By on Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Pros: "Good value, solid build quality, tons of airbags"

Cons: "sun roof drainage, poor horsepower"

"This is my wifes car. 2.0 liter automatic. She brought it new and has only 47k on it. Basically used for short commuting distances. Car is basically comfortable enough even on long drives. Gas mileage is ok but should be better given the small displacement engine. Solid German engineering. No major mechanical problems to speak of except for a very poorly designed sun roof drainage system, which clogs very easily and results in significant flooding inside the car during heavy rains. Major complaint is regarding the horsepower, or should I say lack of. This thing can't get out of it's own way even on slight inclines. Once you get it going though it rides very smooth for a compact sedan."

Good Vehicle

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"i am second owner and the only problem i've had is a fuel pump. Have owned the car for 5 years and it gives me 27mpg."

Performs as advertised

By on Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pros: "Great mileage"

Cons: "Expensive parts, few choices but the dealer"

"I've had this TDI (Diesel) for 5 years buying off a dealer lot with 30,000 miles coming off of a lease. It has performed as expected, never missed a start, and gotten better than advertised mileage. It has not been without some glitches though. My biggest complaint is the lack of heat in the Winter during warm-up. Because the engine is so efficient, it needs be driven to put a load on engine to produce heat. There are after market products which I have not tested and I do not know if newer models have solved this problem. Parts are expensive and in many cases, only the dealer has the service and parts you need. Be very selective on your tires, I recommend the Michelin Harmony. Stay up on your maintence and change your fuel filter every other oil changes. Using synthetic oil I've only had to change every 10,000 miles. Do not miss your 80,000 mile change on your water pump and timing belt. A failed timing belt will destroy this engine. If you have an automatic you cannot have a remote starter installed, if you have one, it must be removed. What I love is getting 500 plus miles a tank in combined city/freeway driving. The interior is quiet but the outside is noisy. Start-up in cold weather use glow plugs and it takes a few extra seconds till the engine is ready to start but I've never had any issues with diesel gelling. I am very careful where I buy my fuel and recommend you buy it a facility that has very high turn-over. I use a place that has their own tow trucks and they fill from the same tanks. Do not try to save a few pennies when buying diesel. I could babble on but I think I've covered the main points. Good luck and happy Dieseling."

Its not that great of a car!

By on Saturday, February 4, 2012

"Its true that around 80,000 miles the transmission does start to act up!! UGHHHHH!!! Gotta go buy a new car. Ever since I got this one I have had nothing but engine trouble with it!"

DO NOT BUY!!!

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros: "It's good for a single person, not a family car"

Cons: "expensive to maintain, too small"

"This was one of the worst cars I have ever owned. It broke down and was near impossible to fix. So if you are a certified Volkswagen mechanic and know how to get your parts for cheap, go ahead and buy one. If not, just walk away...."

Third TDI. 2006 2004 and 2001. Theres a reason.

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pros: "mpgs, drivers car,"

Cons: "you must do scheduled maintenance- duhh!!"

"I've had a 2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd, 2004 Jetta TDI 5 spd auto, 1979 rabbit diesel 4 spd and now a 2001 Golf TDI. 99.5 to 2003 with the ALH motor instead of the BEW pd in the later models is the way to go. If you must drive automatic 2004 and later is the way to go- ex couldn't drive stick. The 2004 is the best looking imho and they all need pin stripes of course. The 2001 Golf drives the best. The 2006 is more family sized- rear ac vent- dang!! I see american cars still made without rear ac. The new jettas are a no go imho- heard they had bad reviews and they look like a camry- ouch. Save your money and go with an older model. Stick with the golfs if you must go new. 2006 hwy 48 mpg. 2004 44 mpg. 1979 40 mpg. 2001 47 mpg and i drive it hard- stick is too much fun. Reliability- these tdi must be maintained just like any diesel. If you want to wait for things to break then their reliability is going to go down- i waited on some things like mass air flow sensor, thermostat, egr valve cleaning, fuel sending unit, yadda yadda. Either way none of these cars has ever stranded me. Do not put off the timing belt, water pump, tensioners. You want to drive the rest of it till the wheels fall off go for it. At least your motor is worth 2-5g running."

By on Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, great on gas"

Cons: "Cost of service"

"I have owned my Jetta for just about 7 years"

Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Pros: "great reliability, good MPG, lots of trunk space."

Cons: "Too few cup holders"

"I have had many VWs. I was stationed in Germany for 3.5 years and had euro models. So when I got back to the US, I headed straight for the dealership. I got a low milage 2001 in 2008. This vehicle has started regardless of the freezing CO temps. I wasn't great about servicing (sometimes going 3000 miles over the need for an oil change) and i still got 28-30 MPG. The clutch never failed, and it has great pick up and pep. And the trunk is huge. i carry a lot of gear with me and I've never had a problem fitting anything. The only flaws would be the lack of cup holders. As silly as it sounds, this is a big deal for me. i have kids, and being in the military, I spend a lot of time in my car. also, having to crank a knob to recline the seat was a pain in the you know where. But, I have taken naps in the car no problem. Over all, I love this car. I only gave it up because of the wear and tear I imposed on it. I was trading it in for a new Jetta, but went with Chevy, only cause my budget is tight."