2012 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 73 Ratings for the 2010 - 2012 models.

Outstanding Value, Quality

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "Fun, Value, Quality"

Cons: "Premium gas, occasional obscure control logic"

Ownership Day One!

"I was looking for a smaller car with better gas mileage, without giving up the fun and sportiness that I have grown to enjoy in a car. Having owned a 312HP car for a while, I was concerned that the GTI might lack the performance I had become accustomed to. But thankfully I was completely wrong. From the first test drive I fell in love with the spirited performance, tight handling, good feedback in the cabin. The pick up was very instant without hesitation or turbo lag at most speeds. And if you engage the sport mode on the DSG, the car is incredibly responsive and fun. Even the base model (which I purchased) is generously equipped. Great Bluetooth experience, good iPhone hook up, and the fit and finish is unmistakably German and in a good way. There are more flashy hot hatches on the market, faster ones, more economical ones, but you'd have a hard time finding one in this price range that checks all the boxes so well. This car isn't about being the best at one thing (speed, handling, ride, economy etc). It's about providing a wonderful compromise in so many areas that what you are left with is a brilliant all round excellent vehicle. As for the downside, while the fuel economy is good, it requires premium gas, so at least some of that nice fuel efficiency is going to be lost to the more expensive gas. German cars sometimes have a few little quirks in the controls that are not immediately obvious. For example the trip computer does not easily offer up its available options unless one holds the trip computer rocker switch for three seconds. I mean did they really need to design it so I had to Google that answer? Probably not. In conclusion this is a fun yet sensible all around great car. VW have had decades to get the mix right on this vehicle, and that finesse certainly pays off in the driving experience. If someone told me that it was a $35K Audi, I would find it easy to believe. This car represents an excellent value and is certainly worth a drive if you are shopping in this segment. I am so far thrilled with it. So unless it starts to have some major problems later on, I suspect I'll be very pleased."

Ownership Day One!

My favorite GTi

By on Friday, April 15, 2011

"This is definitely the best GTi yet (my 3rd one). Interior quality is still top notch, handling is great and good mpg (getting 32). It may not be the fastest car around but with a few changes I have mine dyno'd at 260hp. Much better now, feels like the old VR6. The upcoming R should get you that stock. Mechanically it has been solid (20k miles)- better than the 2007 I owned. My understanding is the new 2.0 TFsI has a timing chain vs a belt so long term reliability should be promising. This engine wins awards year after year. I've had one electrical issue (dome light) and the armrest broke but quickly addressed by the dealer. Car is quiet(er) than previous models and the new interior is every bit as good as more expensive cars I looked at. Dynaudio sound, bluetooth steering wheel controls are a bonus. Seats are great and hold you well but get a little uncomfortable on long (12hr) drives. Then again maybe i am getting older. Save the $$ and get a GTI. Best car you can buy under $25k."

Complete package

By on Friday, March 18, 2011

"Every garage should have a gti ! Mine is a two door base model with the 6speed manual and I love it. Yes, the dsg is faster ( and more expensive ) but the manual is much much much more enjoyable and trouble free. For someone who is looking at buying a civic (si) or something similar , just stretch and go for the vw gti . You won't regret it. Fit and finish and build quality is beyond description. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it ! ( p.s. Try and get the amazing xenon light package they have. Well worth the extra money )"

BEST value of its price range

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pros: "Value, Handling, Refinement, Total Package, FUN"

Cons: "FWD, Clutch is not lasting"

Typical Florida Afternoon

"The interior is amazing, and with little maintenance can be kept to amazing quality. 6000 miles so far with little deterioration. It's truly a beautiful car. Mine is Candy White 2-door, and I just stop and stare whenever I see her. Looks even better and aggressive with the Euro Plate (mine says "DAS TURBO".) The handling of this car is amazing. I live part year in the country-side of Maryland and this thing has very high limits. I own and drive a 2006 Mustang GT and 2008 Acura RDX, and this hot hatch kills them overall. The GT accelerates faster but the GTI is much funner. So nimble, it goes where you want it, it's well planted to the ground. The acceleration is quick, it doesn't take long before you realize you're already exceeding the speed limit. The stick-shift on this car is incredibly fun and rewarding, everyday I am excited to drive it. The overall package is so amazing, refined, engineered, and best off, if you're looking for more, it's easily available. Just a few reasons it won Car and Driver's top 10 cars in every year of its MK6 production."

My video

Typical Florida Afternoon

0-60

Who needs an SUV?

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Value for the money, mileage, performance"

Cons: "No steering wheel radio controls, option packages"

"Long been a fan of the GTI, since driving a Mk1 version owned by a friend of mine in high school, but never got around to buying one, until now. I have a 6-speed manual 4-door with no sunroof. For 23k, I can't believe the quality and feature content. Bluetooth, power everything, Sirius radio, 18" rims, turbo motor, metallic paint are all built into that price. It feels at least as well built as the Mercedes C-Class I sold for it. Materials are top notch. Unlike some earlier editions of the GTI, the MkVI is built in Germany. No obvious cost cutting. The car has a powerful and torquey motor that averages 26 MPG. Suspension and steering are tight, making the car a blast to drive. Versatility? Outstanding. The car can carry a ton of cargo and has a very tall liftgate for moving things upright. Rear doors open wide, which would make it easy to load children and pets. Hence the title of my review. Who needs a wallowing land yacht SUV when you can have this for much less money and a much greater fun factor? Overall, outstanding effort by VW. Great car!"