2011 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 73 Ratings for the 2010 - 2012 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

Want a small reliable compact car, this it it!

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "Drive, gas mileage, dealer service. Fun to drive!"

Cons: "None that I have run across so far in 1 1/2 years."

"As someone who has always owned SUV's for full-size pickups, this was a BIG change for me. My initial selling points on the GTI were horsepower, great gas mileage, fun to drive and comfort in ride (I'm over 6 ft. tall). Only the GTI hit it on all these marks. I didn't want to trade the horsepower I had in previous vehicles, but I wanted great gas mileage that you get in a small car. The GTI was about the only one that didn't trade one for the other. My initial relationship with the selling dealership was disappointing, but my experiences with my local dealership in Knoxville have been excellent and I expect my next vehicle purchase will be a VW from them. They have provided excellent and friendly service and advice. If the GTI is too much for your budget, seriously consider the Rabbit/Golf as a second option with a few features removed."

Great Car with a few odd, infrequent issues

By on Monday, December 12, 2011

Pros: "very fun to drive, practical uses, and spacious"

Cons: "difficult to use the power outlet in the front"

"I've owned this car since April 2010 and bought it new (2010 2-door, 6pd manual transmission). I've had one serious issue that was covered under my 3-year/36,000-mile warranty. The major issue was the electronic door module on the passenger-side failing. The expense would've cost me over $800 for parts/labor, but it was covered under the factory warranty since it occurred at 13,500 miles. The other issues (common issues like the rear windshield washer fluid leak and the interior vent issue - fixed with zip ties and is not visible) were also covered under warranty. Extremely fun to drive, plenty of useful standard equipment and quality build of this machine is fantastic. The gas mileage is observed to be 30-31mpg on the highway (but i do have a roof rack for a bicycle...and it generally reduces it by 2-3mpg). Overall i'm getting just over 26mpg with my combined city/highway. It's still quite responsive, quick, and with it being a hatchback, it's very practical. The power outlet is a bit difficult to use and there is a slight lack of storage, but i do not find that to be a big deal."

I so love my GTI!!!!

By on Friday, December 2, 2011

Pros: "Styling, great price, build quality, fun"

"I've had my GTI for about 7 months and I absolutely love it. I traded in a 2007 350z for it, and before the Z, I had a BMW 5 series. I would take my GTI over either. This GTI is so much fun to drive. It has plenty of room for passengers and/or cargo. It's quick enough (and then some) for every day driving. It has great handling and I absolutely LOVE the styling!!! If I had to select my favorite part about the exterior, I would say the wheels. I just love the appearance and styling of the 18" Detroit Rims. As for the interior, I would choose the steering wheel. It has a very expensive/quality feel/look of leather and stitching. Love how it is accented at the 10"

A great little car. Rides and drives nice.

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "Fun yet practical"

Cons: "Snow builds up in the Detroit style wheels"

"Fun and practical. Drives like a sports car, has room for all daily functions."

Great Car, Great Value!

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "Engine, great handling, versatile, great handling."

"Owned a Honda Civic Si before, which was a great car, but compared to the VW there is no comparison. The biggest differences are the trim offered and the overall build quality of the car. It's quiet when you're cruising, handles great, and has an great stereo (Autobahn Pkg). If you're considering this car, do yourself a favor and get it! You won't regret it!"

Fun and practical

By on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pros: "Great to drive."

Cons: "Front wheel drive, could use a little more power"

"The GTI is a great car to drive although it could use a little more power. The chassis could easily handle it. The interior is very nice and the hatchback adds great practicality for a sporty car."

I love this car!

By on Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pros: "Great value, fun, fast, sporty, awesome to drive."

Cons: "Small for a family car."

"I love this car. It has been very reliable, no problems ever. The leather seats are very high quality - sport seats hold you in place. The car is a blast to drive - handling is amazing. It gets great gas mileage - I get about 25 around town and 33 on the highway. It is better than the rating on the window sticker. It amazes me that the car is so inexpensive. You would have to spend a lot more to get a car that drives as well with comparable options."

Affordable sports car.

By on Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive , interiors ( design and practicality) , Fuel economy."

Cons: "Not too comfortable, audio system could have been better."

"I have a Manual 2 dr GTI. This is my first sporty car and i couldn't have made abetter choice. The engine revs to 6200 rpm and makes a strong and beautiful noise. The interior is the best i've seen in any sub 25k car. My phone connects to the car when i step in . The steering wheel looks and feels very good. I get about 30mpg on average."

2010 GTI w/DSG Automatic

By on Tuesday, July 6, 2010

"After you read my review you are all going to think VW paid me to say this: Nothing could be farther from the truth. I bought my 2010 GTI 2 dr in Candy White w/DSG paddle shifter-equipped Automatic. This car is sleek, stealthy and a head-turner when freshly washed. I make up excuses daily to drive it as frequently as possible. This little hot hatch is truly fun to drive. The turbo is responsive & the shifting is absolutely spot on when using the manual mode. It handles superbly, reminiscent of a souped up go-kart. The exhaust note is just perfect as is the sound eminating from the resonated airbox under the hood. I can't get good gas mileage w/this pocket rocket. It's impossible to drive conservatively in this bundle of german engineering. Fantastic job VW!!!!"

Best value for $$ possibly ever

By on Tuesday, February 1, 2011

"For the $ this car can't be beat. (I am over 40 by the way)The interior looks and feels like an Audi, it's one of the best handling front-wheel drive cars in the world, and it is actually pretty fast (~6.1 0-60 w/DSG). I have always been a standard trans guy, but the DSG is unbelievable. It's nice to let the car shift in traffic, but be able to take control when necessary. This is NOT a Tiptronic transmission, it is a true automated manual, like Formula one cars possess (and Bugatti Veyron, which VW makes). The brakes are fantastic, although eventually I will upgrade to stainless steel lines. I have the 18" wheels with summer tires and they grip magically (I put on 16" alloys w/dunlop winter sports for the winter, drives great in snow, it is a golf, although a bit low for deep snow). The seats and steering wheel are superb. I have the leather sport seats, which some people apparently don't like, but I love them, great for my herniated disc. On top of that, 32 mpg on the highway consistently, 26-ish when beating on it and it can fit 5 people, 4 comfortably. And it is reliable. Plus it doesn't look like a 14 year-old boy on acid made it in art class like its main competitors. It is essentially a front-wheel drive Audi/Porsche for under $30,000. $20,000 if you buy a year-old cert. preowned one as I did. There's more, but you get the idea. I would say drive it if you can."

Great car for the money.

By on Saturday, October 6, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, decent gas mileage"

Cons: "Expensive when loaded, Minor interior details"

"First of all never ever buy a dark coloured auto. All the minute scratches will show no matter how well you care for it. Acceleration is good but there is always the slight tip in when the throttle is applied but I attribute that to the turbo lag. Acceleration is very good but a little squirrely since it is a front wheel drive car. Once underway its a comfortable long distance cruiser and I have seen as high as 38mpg because I keep the tires inflated 5 lbs over what the door jamb says. The original equipment Dunlop tires are garbage being very noisy and they detract from the driving experience. I changed them out at 1K miles because I spend a lot of time behind the wheel. The 10K service intervals are too long and dont quote me that the VW engineers know what they are doing. I deal in automotive service and have seen too many problems regarding these extended service intervals in european cars. 5-7K is more appropriate but I truly believe this was done so that VW could offer this service as an added value although the car suffers. The car would benefit from a larger intercooler and perhaps an oil cooler as well if they plan on keeping the 10K service interval. Synthetic oil breaks down at a much slower rate but, with the amount of driving I do which is 12K miles in 3 months is higher than "severe" use. Overall the build quality is very good with consistent gaps between the doors and hood and trunk lid. My only issue is that anytime the car is washed I have to wipe down the door sills since there is no seal there. Its a mild annoyance and hopefully VW addresses it soon. Cargo space is very good compared to other cars that I looked at in its class (volvo C30, Focus SV, Mustang V6 Premium). Depreciation is a bit steep unless you order every single option available as I did (Autobahn DSG) Seats are very comfortable and somewhat snug for larger people but very supportive for spirited driving. What surprises me is the quality of leather used for the interior seating surfaces because it seems subpar to what I have seen in other German cars. The Nav/Sirius/Bluetooth Dynaudio system does not disappoint but at higher levels makes one of the rear door panels rattle. The bluetooth operation works well but the other parties complain about road noise so perhaps a noise cancellation system would be in order. This is not an inexpensive car and I would gladly pay more for it if they can resolve the small niggling detais. I was going to purchase an Audi A3 but the electrical issues that seem to plague that brand brought me to VW which is their parent company. Will I buy another one? Yes. I am also planning on purchasing a second one(TDI or hopefully a GTD) for my wife as she drives great distances as well."

Best Car Ever!!!!!

By on Friday, January 15, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliability, styling"

"I can honestly say that the VW GTI is the best car ever. Before I owned this one I had a 2007 MK5 GTI that had over 100K miles and the only reason I got rid of it was to get a 2010 MK6 GTI. I have driven this car from PA to TX, with my wife and 4 dogs, multiple times. I have also driven from TX to FL when we moved again. The power, comfort and quality alone make this a great car for the price it is. The only thing that I will give this car up for is a 2015 MK7 GTI and nothing else. One thing that I would recommend is to go with the 4 door version. It just makes everything easier from transporting friends and family to surf boards and kayaks."

MY Favorite VW I've owned to date!

By on Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Pros: "Blast to drive, mileage, leather seats"

Cons: "Dynaaudio sound system"

"I have owned several Jetta's over the years, however, when I looked at the 2011 Jetta's what a disappointment. I decided to look at the GTI, test drove it and fell in love. I have the 2011 4DR Candy White Autobahn 6spd GTI. I absolutely LOVE it. The handling, comfort, mileage, style, and feel are amazing. My only slight complaint is the Dynaaudio sound system is subpar considering I spend $31K on this car. They really need to improve that part. Drive it you will get it!"

Great car!!! lots of service issues.

By on Saturday, August 11, 2012

Pros: "good gas mileage as a daily driver, fun on weekend"

Cons: "repair problems and cost"

"Avg about 29 mpg. fun to drive. Many service issues, but the overall ownership experience has been has very good. The car is expensive to repair. Car is as tight at 130000 miles as when new."

Great car!

By on Friday, May 6, 2011

"great all around car, very nice interior quality (espcially with the autobahn package). Loads of technology for the price range (love the cornering xenon headlights). Dynaudio sound system is very nice for the pricerange of the car. This car is very fun to drive and has amazing handling and has a good amount of power as well. The GTI is in its element on twisting country roads where its power and handling really shine through. This car is not designed to make you a "stoplight hero," its main purpose is to deliver a smooth ride with superb handling combined with the practicality of a hatchback. Also it does what ANY good German car does which is to make 90mph feel like 55mph. 6spd manual is incredibly smooth and loads of fun to drive. VW has done an excellant job with the mk6 (my first GTI) however one styling element that NEEDS to be incorporated into the US spec models are the LED tailights (Cherry Reds) available at ECS tuning) which are only found on the Euro spec GTI's (Which made me have to spend $700 to get a part that should be standard on ALL GTI's). As I said though this is a very nice car all around and of course delivers the sought after German car quality and performance for a very low price. If you have not gone German before and this is your first German car I highly recommend it to you due to its superior build and ride quality."

My Favorite Car

By on Saturday, July 30, 2011

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "speeding tickets!"

"The GTI is the most fun I have ever had sitting behind the wheel of a car. The car is just amazingly balanced - from acceleration to handling, it's just perfect."

I like driving again

By on Thursday, July 29, 2010

"I really like my 2010 GTI. It is practical, quick and a ton of fun to drive. Handling is great. It corners flat and steering is tight but not at all heavy and feedback is good. The 2.0L turbo has no lag, and above 3500 rpms it is nice and lively. The 6 speed manual is nice, not super smooth but works well. Xenon headlights are sweet. The velcro cargo mat is genius. I have the 4 door which actually allows enough room for 4 adults."

I love this car!

By on Saturday, December 14, 2013

Pros: "So much fun to drive, excellent build quality"

Cons: "Maintenance is a little more expensive"

"I've owned my CPO 2010 GTI for close to a year now, and I would have to say that this is the best car I have ever owned. The body styling is attractive and there isn't a week that goes by that I don't get a compliment from someone who has a nice comment for the car's looks. The United Gray Metallic paint looks great and even in the winter months where things get pretty cruddy, it still looks good. The interior, hands down, is the absolute best you can get in this price class. It's basically a poor-man's Audi. The quality of the materials are fantastic, with very few hard surfaces. Specifically to the GTI, the cloth seats with the plaid design is eye-catching without being gaudy, and I've had more than one person mention how cool they look. Switchgear is smooth and supple, with no harsh clicks or cheapness of feel. Power and performance is excellent. The TSI turbo 2.0 liter motor in this car puts out 200HP stock, and has plenty of aftermarket mods available to take that north of 300HP, should you feel so inclined. That said, the stock motor is powerful enough to put a smile on your face should you have the urge to want to put your right foot through the floor. There's some turbo lag at lower RPMs, but that is a side effect of most motors equipped with a turbo. Although I have not done so (yet), information is out there that with a chip tune (about a $600-700 investment) you can gain a significant amount of power while almost negating any turbo lag. Fuel economy is pretty good too. I do a lot of highway driving, and my average fuel economy is about 30-31 MPG. I could probably do better, but this is a performance car, and there are times where I like to drive it like I stole it, which makes those number suffer to an extent. A premium fuel requirement makes fill-ups a little more expensive, but if you're going to quibble over a couple extra bucks to fill your tank, maybe this isn't the car for you. Steering feel is acceptable, but could use a bit more road feel feedback. This is due to the car using an electric steering system, as opposed to the hydraulic system used on most other cars. I've read that this has improved with the soon-to-come-to-the-States Mark VII GTI. That being said, this car handles like it's on rails. Cloverleaf intersection coming up? This car will take that 270 degree turn at 50 MPH, no worries. Braking is also acceptable, grabbing briskly when needed. The car will come to a stop very quickly, but the brakes are prone to fade fairly quickly if you're using them for an extended period of time. I suspect that this is due to the OEM pads installed on the car, and that acceptable gains in performance would be realized if one were to install ceramic pads once the OEM ones are worn down. I've seen a lot of people say that the overall build quality of VW cars is marginal, with a lot of rattles and loose parts, but frankly I have not had that experience with my car. It feels like a solid, quality car. Overall, I would say that I am very happy that I purchased this car, and because of this, I will be considering the 2015 GDI (the turbo-diesel performance model of the Golf) once it hits our shores."

Great value but has some quality issues

By on Tuesday, April 3, 2012

"Have owned the car for about two years now. Only has 12K miles on it, but the dash warning lights are all lit up like a XMAS tree. Tire warning (broke) and Air Bag lights have been on since about 2K miles. Brought it in for the TPMS issue three times and never found resolution. I understand a fix has been found, but I have not had time to bring it back in for the fix. This is my 6th VW product in the last 10 years and problems like this seem to be the norm. The fit and finish and driving experience make up for the little issues experienced."

Exciting Ride

By on Friday, December 9, 2011

Pros: "Fun"

Cons: "Speeding Tickets :("

"I purchased this vehicle after a tour of duty overseas. Before getting deployed I had gone and test driven this machine. After that ride I was determined to buy it. The car's interior is explendid, and for a car with it's price, it's more than impressive. The exterior is no exception either. I am in love with the mean design of the headlights, makes peple give your car a double take. Now the best part for me is, when I put this baby on "sport" mode and hear that turbo charger inhale and propulse me from 0 to 60mph in under 4 secs. Love Speed."

Best overall package around

By on Monday, July 27, 2015

Pros: "Too many to list. Fun to drive, practical etc..."

Cons: "Not the prettiest, interior storage lacking."

"This car isn't the best at any one area. It's not the fastest, it's not the prettiest, and it's not the most luxurious. It is however, pretty good at everything. It's quick, it's nimble, it's comfortable, fun to drive, practical and even fairly good on gas. It's the best 'one car to do everything' deal there is. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what to get next, since anything else I get will be a compromise in some way. This car does it all."

great all around car

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, gas mileage, hatch storage, looks"

Cons: "None yet"

"Ive owned my 2 door 6spd manual Gti for approx 1 year. This is a great car that is comfortable, great on gas, good storage, quick and so far very reliable. I've had a lot of different cars in the past (bmw's, vette, Benz, s2k,) and they were all great but each had a negative point. For some it was storage, seating, practicality or high payment. The Gti covers all those issues and is relativity inexpensive. The 2.0 turbo has been great so far and has more than ample power. Its nice to drive and average around 30 mpg and then when you want to have a little fun the Gti will perform. I live in Las Vegas and most of the highways are concrete. Surprisingly the Gti is pretty quiet on the roads and has a decent ride. If you've been thinking about getting a Gti, I would strongly suggest driving one......I love mine"

Excellent, fuel efficient, fast car!

By on Sunday, August 30, 2015

Pros: "Quick, fuel efficient, quality is A+"

Cons: "A little small.. but not cramped!"

"I would highly recommend this car, very quick, very comfortable. stylish design, you can't go wrong here."

Nothing better for less than twice the price

By on Thursday, October 9, 2014

Pros: "Build quality, acceleration and handling, comfort."

Cons: "Gas mileage, smallish trunk."

"VW's GTI offers outstanding build quality, excellent comfort and convenience, along with a reasonable modicum of space for a realtively small car. The performance is terrific -- a GTI always seems to want to go quickly, and has excellent grip and braking performance; it's a Border collie masquerading as an automobile. Yet the inherent exuberance of the car also has a certain, German, buttoned-down, well-thought-out quality. The car responds to inputs quickly and assertively, yet never seems to lose its composure. What would I change? Not much, actually. Maybe leather interior, although I'm very fond of the traditional plaid seats; and the fuel mileage is nothing special -- only about 30 mpg in highway cruising, and just over 20 in typical suburban driving. For fun, quality, reliability, and overall enjoyment, I can't think of any car I'd recommend over it for less than $50K. Every driveway should have at least one GTI."

From Japanese to German, what a difference!

By on Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pros: "Handling, horsepower, comfort, fuel economy"

Cons: "Parts and service can be expensive"

"I had a Toyota Matrix, based on the world-famous Corolla. Very reliable but a soul-less cheap basic car that was lacking in so many ways. Funny thing, though, I had no idea how aweful the Toyota was until I drove a GTI. Perhaps aweful is not fair. The Matrix is a good car. But the VW is so much more. And you pay for it. My used GTI cost twice that of my used Matrix. And worth every penny. What a joy to drive. Quiet, refined, really quick. Everything is high quality and you can see and feel the design effort that went into it. Easily the best car I have ever owned."

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next