2011 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 73 Ratings for the 2010 - 2012 models.

Fun, sporty, economical hot hatch great for DDing

By on Friday, March 4, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive, economical, ages well"

Cons: "carbon build-up issue, rear brake pads"

"I bought this car new in 2010 with HID headlamps and a moon roof (1st model year for the MKVI and the options were a la carte). This has been a fantastic vehicle. More reliable than my previous Honda Civic Si (1999) and my Acura Integra (1998) and has been a blast to drive for the near 6 years I've owned the vehicle. Other than the usual oil changes and routine maintenance the only issues I've had were the passenger side electronic module going bad (covered under warranty at 18k miles in the 2nd year of ownership) and the carbon build-up issue that affects all direct-injected motors (not just the VW GTI of this model year, but spans across all makes/models with a direct-injected fuel system). This caused issues with the engine's breathing ability and showed symptoms around 50k miles. I drove it to 83k miles before addressing the issue myself. After cleaning the intake ports myself the car has been running flawlessly and I'm currently at 95k miles. The 17-inch wheels make for cheaper tire replacements, but 18-inch wheels became standard on the 2011 models. The OEM rear brake pads are really soft and wear quickly, when you replace them definitely go aftermarket. The fuel economy has been great (about 28mpg average over its lifespan). Rear seating is fantastic and the cargo area should be sufficient for most people. After 6 years and 95k miles the interior is still in fantastic shape."

Over 35 or have back problems, DON'T buy!

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "maybe fun to drive, but not worth back issues."

Cons: "extremely small and tough gettin in and out of."

"I purchased this car along with another VW. This car has bucket seats and about a month after purchasing I began to have back issues. This car is so uncomfortable it's not funny, and after trying time after time to resolve this issue with VW, I have to trade it in."

Lots of fun

By on Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Pros: "Good looking, compact, sticks corners well, fun"

Cons: "iffy breaks, mpg is questionable, want more HP."

"My 2005 benz C230 Kommperssor (lol) was flooded during Sandy and the GTI really impressed me with the speed and agility. I drive in nyc, and the stock rims on the GTI are 18"...really hurts when you hit a bump. Regardless, the wheels on this car are beautiful and they came with all season Pirelli's!(I also purchased the wheel and tire insurance) The breaks don't instill a lot of confidence, seems like they lag a bit. It's not high on amenities but still very cool cockpit feel to it. Also, I've had the car for only two wks and on my day to day drive I'm not getting more than 18mpg. Overall, I am happy with my purchase."

What can I say....

By on Saturday, July 11, 2015

Pros: "solid driving experience, great interior, fun!"

Cons: "mediocre gas mileage"

"I tend to be pretty harsh, but only have good things to say about this vehicle. We'll see how long that will last, but the first 30k miles have been EXCELLENT."

Overall: a great car to own

By on Monday, April 3, 2017

"Owned a 2012 GTI (original owner) with a little over 57,000 miles in it. Likes: - Styling. Love the looks and design. Not overly loud, but attractive - Performance. The 2.0 turbo engine is strong enough for daily use. Dislikes: - Fuel economy. Im averaging 23 MPG. There are a lot of cars out there, some more powerful, with a much higher MPG - Reliability. Being a direct injection, carbon build up is a big headache. My car is having misfire issues now and the BG induction cleaning is not helping. I wish VW will address this issue with their future cars. Overall, I am happy with my GTI. Other than the carbon build up, it would have been a near-perfect auto."