2011 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 72 Ratings for the 2010 - 2012 models.

From Japanese to German, what a difference!

By on Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pros: "Handling, horsepower, comfort, fuel economy"

Cons: "Parts and service can be expensive"

"I had a Toyota Matrix, based on the world-famous Corolla. Very reliable but a soul-less cheap basic car that was lacking in so many ways. Funny thing, though, I had no idea how aweful the Toyota was until I drove a GTI. Perhaps aweful is not fair. The Matrix is a good car. But the VW is so much more. And you pay for it. My used GTI cost twice that of my used Matrix. And worth every penny. What a joy to drive. Quiet, refined, really quick. Everything is high quality and you can see and feel the design effort that went into it. Easily the best car I have ever owned."

What a blast!!!

By on Friday, February 6, 2015

Pros: "Performance, quality, handling, comfort...... FUN!"

Cons: "None so far!"

"I absolutely love this car! What more can you ask for....performance, build quality, comfort, MPG, handling. It's the complete package. Whenever I get in the car it puts a smile on my face..... Which is exactly what I bought it for. My only complaint is the interior could have more little storage pockets for all those little things that wind up in your car."

great car fast fun and great on gas

By on Thursday, May 15, 2014

Pros: "fun fun and fun"

Cons: "Not sexy looking."

"Well made car from Germany. Fast ,fun to drive ,easy around town or fast on the twisties.Zero to sixty in 6.5 seconds."

Fun, sporty, economical hot hatch great for DDing

By on Friday, March 4, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive, economical, ages well"

Cons: "carbon build-up issue, rear brake pads"

"I bought this car new in 2010 with HID headlamps and a moon roof (1st model year for the MKVI and the options were a la carte). This has been a fantastic vehicle. More reliable than my previous Honda Civic Si (1999) and my Acura Integra (1998) and has been a blast to drive for the near 6 years I've owned the vehicle. Other than the usual oil changes and routine maintenance the only issues I've had were the passenger side electronic module going bad (covered under warranty at 18k miles in the 2nd year of ownership) and the carbon build-up issue that affects all direct-injected motors (not just the VW GTI of this model year, but spans across all makes/models with a direct-injected fuel system). This caused issues with the engine's breathing ability and showed symptoms around 50k miles. I drove it to 83k miles before addressing the issue myself. After cleaning the intake ports myself the car has been running flawlessly and I'm currently at 95k miles. The 17-inch wheels make for cheaper tire replacements, but 18-inch wheels became standard on the 2011 models. The OEM rear brake pads are really soft and wear quickly, when you replace them definitely go aftermarket. The fuel economy has been great (about 28mpg average over its lifespan). Rear seating is fantastic and the cargo area should be sufficient for most people. After 6 years and 95k miles the interior is still in fantastic shape."

Great car. Fun to drive

By on Friday, October 28, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Transmission may give problems later in cars life"

"This car is great. Its a real joy to drive. The pick up is pretty good for a 4 cyl engine and the suspension is very tight so cornering is a joy. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheaper fun to drive car than a bmw."