2011 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 73 Ratings for the 2010 - 2012 models.

My favorite car ever

By on Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"I have 12,000 miles on my 4 door GTI and I can honestly say this is my favorite car I've ever owned. The car is fast (not blazingly fast) but it's strength comes from the handling which is an amazing blend of comfort and excellent corning, design - everything is laid out well and so attractive, and economy as I'm averaging 30 mpg in city driving. My biggest cncern is that I love driving it so much I'll likely rack up tons of miles! My advice is buy one, as the reviews you have likely read in Automobile Magazine, Car and Driver, etc are not wrong!"

One of the Best Car I have ever Driven

By on Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pros: "Great fun to drive!"

Cons: "It doesn't do my laundry nor iron my clothes"

"I have rented almost all kinds of cars (from a day to a weekend)in the past 15 years and I must say that the Volkswagen GTI (I have the 2012 DSG with sunroof) is simply one of the best albeit not the fastest. The handling is superb when tearing up through the mountains. Torque is available at 1500 rpm, all the way to 3500 rpm (wish it's higher but I can't complaint. It has enough torque for every drivers like me). The interior quality is superb and the exterior is built well. For a sporty car, the GTI is pretty smooth, and you can comfortably take it on a long drive. The best thing I like about the GTI is its power is just right - it is there when you need it without being too aggressive. The Mazdaspeed 3 is faster but ride quality suffers and there is significant torque steer.. but it is indeed a beast. I chose the GTI over the Speed3 because of its refinement. The interiro quality of the GTI is equal to the A3 and any car above the $28k price range. This is an extremely refined and balanced car. If you want more HP, just get an APR stage 1 and a cold air intake (which will cost you an additional $900) which would boost the HP up to 255, and torque to 277.. however, there will be noticeable torque steer as it is a FWD. Overall, I love this car, and this is indeed one of the very best cars I have ever driven - not the best.. just one of the best :-)"

Fantastic Car!

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pros: "A blast to drive, great MPG, excellent interior"

Cons: "Smallish nav screen, leaky rear washer nozzle"

"I bought my GTI Autobahn new in 2011 and I've been very pleased with the car. First of all, the interior quality and attention to detail is top-notch. It drives wonderfully, and the smooth power delivery of the 2.0L turbo engine is nothing short of addicting. I opted for the six-speed manual and have not regretted it. The clutch is easy to operate with smooth engagement, and the shifting is precise and has a great feel. On top of the incredible handling and smooth, powerful engine, it is quite economical. I usually see 32-34 mpg on highway trips and about 25 mpg in town, and I have a heavy right foot! Another feature I love is how much space it has for what seems like a small car on the outside. The back seat can comfortably accomodate two average-sized adults, and it can swallow a surprising amount of cargo. Fold the rear seats down, and it is down right cavernous back there. My only real criticisms are that the navigation screen is a bit small (but it DOES allow you to program a destination while the car is in motion), the accessory rubber floor mats did not wear well, and the rear washer nozzle leaks fluid onto the glass occasionally (multiple trips to the dealer have not rectified the problem). My next car will almost certainly be another GTI, but perhaps the 5-door model (easier access to the rear seats)."

at last she's mine 2012 6spd Shadow Blue

By on Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pros: "Fun comfortable solid"

Cons: "It cost money."

"I've had my GTI for about a year and I couldn't be happier. If I baby it I can get 30+ mpg. The only issue I've had is the interior center vent "broke" while someone else was driving her. It's covered under the warranty. I've wanted a GTI since I was a teenager. It's every bit as good as I'd hoped. The build quality is solid and it's so freaking comfortable. The seats fit like a glove, Tons of space, enough for my dogs or bike with seats down. I wish it had 300hp but as it is she purrs and scoots. I love it! My partner has a Nissan Juke SV AWD and I cant think of a single category that it even comes close to matching my VW except reliability and that is to be determined."

Outstanding Value, Quality

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "Fun, Value, Quality"

Cons: "Premium gas, occasional obscure control logic"

Ownership Day One!

"I was looking for a smaller car with better gas mileage, without giving up the fun and sportiness that I have grown to enjoy in a car. Having owned a 312HP car for a while, I was concerned that the GTI might lack the performance I had become accustomed to. But thankfully I was completely wrong. From the first test drive I fell in love with the spirited performance, tight handling, good feedback in the cabin. The pick up was very instant without hesitation or turbo lag at most speeds. And if you engage the sport mode on the DSG, the car is incredibly responsive and fun. Even the base model (which I purchased) is generously equipped. Great Bluetooth experience, good iPhone hook up, and the fit and finish is unmistakably German and in a good way. There are more flashy hot hatches on the market, faster ones, more economical ones, but you'd have a hard time finding one in this price range that checks all the boxes so well. This car isn't about being the best at one thing (speed, handling, ride, economy etc). It's about providing a wonderful compromise in so many areas that what you are left with is a brilliant all round excellent vehicle. As for the downside, while the fuel economy is good, it requires premium gas, so at least some of that nice fuel efficiency is going to be lost to the more expensive gas. German cars sometimes have a few little quirks in the controls that are not immediately obvious. For example the trip computer does not easily offer up its available options unless one holds the trip computer rocker switch for three seconds. I mean did they really need to design it so I had to Google that answer? Probably not. In conclusion this is a fun yet sensible all around great car. VW have had decades to get the mix right on this vehicle, and that finesse certainly pays off in the driving experience. If someone told me that it was a $35K Audi, I would find it easy to believe. This car represents an excellent value and is certainly worth a drive if you are shopping in this segment. I am so far thrilled with it. So unless it starts to have some major problems later on, I suspect I'll be very pleased."

Ownership Day One!

My favorite GTi

By on Friday, April 15, 2011

"This is definitely the best GTi yet (my 3rd one). Interior quality is still top notch, handling is great and good mpg (getting 32). It may not be the fastest car around but with a few changes I have mine dyno'd at 260hp. Much better now, feels like the old VR6. The upcoming R should get you that stock. Mechanically it has been solid (20k miles)- better than the 2007 I owned. My understanding is the new 2.0 TFsI has a timing chain vs a belt so long term reliability should be promising. This engine wins awards year after year. I've had one electrical issue (dome light) and the armrest broke but quickly addressed by the dealer. Car is quiet(er) than previous models and the new interior is every bit as good as more expensive cars I looked at. Dynaudio sound, bluetooth steering wheel controls are a bonus. Seats are great and hold you well but get a little uncomfortable on long (12hr) drives. Then again maybe i am getting older. Save the $$ and get a GTI. Best car you can buy under $25k."

Complete package

By on Friday, March 18, 2011

"Every garage should have a gti ! Mine is a two door base model with the 6speed manual and I love it. Yes, the dsg is faster ( and more expensive ) but the manual is much much much more enjoyable and trouble free. For someone who is looking at buying a civic (si) or something similar , just stretch and go for the vw gti . You won't regret it. Fit and finish and build quality is beyond description. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it ! ( p.s. Try and get the amazing xenon light package they have. Well worth the extra money )"

BEST value of its price range

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pros: "Value, Handling, Refinement, Total Package, FUN"

Cons: "FWD, Clutch is not lasting"

Typical Florida Afternoon

"The interior is amazing, and with little maintenance can be kept to amazing quality. 6000 miles so far with little deterioration. It's truly a beautiful car. Mine is Candy White 2-door, and I just stop and stare whenever I see her. Looks even better and aggressive with the Euro Plate (mine says "DAS TURBO".) The handling of this car is amazing. I live part year in the country-side of Maryland and this thing has very high limits. I own and drive a 2006 Mustang GT and 2008 Acura RDX, and this hot hatch kills them overall. The GT accelerates faster but the GTI is much funner. So nimble, it goes where you want it, it's well planted to the ground. The acceleration is quick, it doesn't take long before you realize you're already exceeding the speed limit. The stick-shift on this car is incredibly fun and rewarding, everyday I am excited to drive it. The overall package is so amazing, refined, engineered, and best off, if you're looking for more, it's easily available. Just a few reasons it won Car and Driver's top 10 cars in every year of its MK6 production."

My video

Typical Florida Afternoon

0-60

Who needs an SUV?

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Value for the money, mileage, performance"

Cons: "No steering wheel radio controls, option packages"

"Long been a fan of the GTI, since driving a Mk1 version owned by a friend of mine in high school, but never got around to buying one, until now. I have a 6-speed manual 4-door with no sunroof. For 23k, I can't believe the quality and feature content. Bluetooth, power everything, Sirius radio, 18" rims, turbo motor, metallic paint are all built into that price. It feels at least as well built as the Mercedes C-Class I sold for it. Materials are top notch. Unlike some earlier editions of the GTI, the MkVI is built in Germany. No obvious cost cutting. The car has a powerful and torquey motor that averages 26 MPG. Suspension and steering are tight, making the car a blast to drive. Versatility? Outstanding. The car can carry a ton of cargo and has a very tall liftgate for moving things upright. Rear doors open wide, which would make it easy to load children and pets. Hence the title of my review. Who needs a wallowing land yacht SUV when you can have this for much less money and a much greater fun factor? Overall, outstanding effort by VW. Great car!"

Better than Honda Civic SI

By on Thursday, January 27, 2011

"Hard to give a reliability number since I've only had this car for 8 months, but paint chips very easily. Performance is excellent, ride is good, mileage is good (about 28-29) if you stay off the boost. Car is relatively quite yet has good exhaust note. Cargo area with seats up is small and travel with two golfers would be impossible unless at least seat is down. With seats up I still have to remove my driver to fit my medium size golf carry bag. Fit and finish is high quality for this price, audio is good."