2010 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 72 Ratings for the 2010 - 2012 models.

Great to drive

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, DSG transmission, Styling"

Cons: "Needs a longer 1st gear. ESP a little aggressive"

"I've had this car for 2 years now and Handles better than any Car I've ever owned. I would buy another (I may upgrade to the Audi A3 (which is the same car) in a few years when my Payments are done, just because I like the Audi Styling a little better. I average about 28 mpg city/hwy driving and on 100 mile trips I do during work I typically get 37mpg if I can say off the gas and keep it around 64 mph. The DSG twin-clutch transmission is wonderful, shifts blisteringly fast. My only complaint with the DSG is if you use the Sport Mode Automatic it will typically hold 1st gear about half a second too long, but a manual shift corrects that."

Awesome in almost every way

By on Monday, January 2, 2012

Pros: "Performance, build-quality, handling, fun to drive"

Cons: "Awkward manual climate control"

"I wanted a smaller, more fuel-efficient car that is fun to drive and a hatchback. I drove them all. Hands-down, this is the best. There are others more powerful, and some less money, but the GTI provides the best combination of positive features, and without a doubt is the most refined, in terms of build quality, quality of materials, and engine performance. The only options I would add the next time are built-in nav and fully automatic climate control."

Very nice and comfy little car

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive and comfortable"

Cons: "Price near 30K"

"I have a 2011 GTI Autobahn DSG 4-door in white. I think this is the best color for this car. I am very impressed with its driving dynamics/performance and comfort (for 4). I say this because I am comming out of a Mercedes Benz S class. What this car is, it's economical, well built, roomy, good acceleration/performance and with that said, a ton of fun to drive (just took it up in the mountains and no one could stay with me)."

Best GTI Ever

By on Wednesday, April 13, 2011

"I have owned many VWs, GTIs, a TDI, and a regular golf. This 2010 GTI is by far the best VW I have ever owned. The car is very quick around town for doing 'Stoplight Grand Prix' which is great for urban driving. The car handles great for being front wheel drive (less than optimal for handling), its quiet at crusing speeds, and is frugal with gas when I keep my foot out of it.. Oh, and the DSG transmission is absolutely AMAZING!! I have always prefered 3 pedal cars, true manuals, but with this DSG, I am a convert. Can be driven like an Automatic (which it is NOT), or can be controlled manually and shifts are lightning fast with an awesome rev-matched burble. It NEVER gets old. The leather seats hold you in tight during corners. The Dynaudio Stereo is good, not great, but is good enough that I don't need to upgrade."

Fun, Fast, & Flexible Hot Hatch

By on Thursday, July 14, 2016

Pros: "Handling and balanced torque delivery"

Cons: "Expensive repair bills"

"After almost 6 years of ownership I can say the GTI has been a fun car to drive. Repairs have included a high pressure fuel pump (covered under warranty), rear emblem/trunk latch (warranty), and a water pump (powertrain warranty). The interior buttons and switches all still work, and the quality materials still look as good when I bought it. However, the Florida heat is causing roof liner to come undone, and the door on the sunglasses compartment refuses to stay shut. With the 60/40 seats folded down the cargo area becomes cavernous and the GTI goes from sport compact, to mini-utility vehicle. The exterior styling is aging well as it has with the previous generation, and I'm never embarrassed when valet pulls it up next to Porsches, Mercs, or Audis. The bad news is that it is a German car, and as the years rack up - so will the repair bills. The water pump alone would have been a $700 repair had it not been covered under the powertrain. But I guess that's (literally) the price you pay for German engineering. Its a shame that the Mk VIIs styling changed so drastically (rear end is so meh), and that they are now assembled in Mexico, because that will keep me from owning another GTI or R."