2010 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 73 Ratings for the 2010 - 2012 models.

Better than Honda Civic SI

By on Thursday, January 27, 2011

"Hard to give a reliability number since I've only had this car for 8 months, but paint chips very easily. Performance is excellent, ride is good, mileage is good (about 28-29) if you stay off the boost. Car is relatively quite yet has good exhaust note. Cargo area with seats up is small and travel with two golfers would be impossible unless at least seat is down. With seats up I still have to remove my driver to fit my medium size golf carry bag. Fit and finish is high quality for this price, audio is good."

Fun, Fast, & Flexible Hot Hatch

By on Thursday, July 14, 2016

Pros: "Handling and balanced torque delivery"

Cons: "Expensive repair bills"

"After almost 6 years of ownership I can say the GTI has been a fun car to drive. Repairs have included a high pressure fuel pump (covered under warranty), rear emblem/trunk latch (warranty), and a water pump (powertrain warranty). The interior buttons and switches all still work, and the quality materials still look as good when I bought it. However, the Florida heat is causing roof liner to come undone, and the door on the sunglasses compartment refuses to stay shut. With the 60/40 seats folded down the cargo area becomes cavernous and the GTI goes from sport compact, to mini-utility vehicle. The exterior styling is aging well as it has with the previous generation, and I'm never embarrassed when valet pulls it up next to Porsches, Mercs, or Audis. The bad news is that it is a German car, and as the years rack up - so will the repair bills. The water pump alone would have been a $700 repair had it not been covered under the powertrain. But I guess that's (literally) the price you pay for German engineering. Its a shame that the Mk VIIs styling changed so drastically (rear end is so meh), and that they are now assembled in Mexico, because that will keep me from owning another GTI or R."

Excellent Car

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, well built, practical"

Cons: "Sluggish when driven on auto (Drive) mode"

"I purchased my VW GTI new in 2012, initially with some apprehension, since it was my first VW. The car is now about 18 months old and so far, it runs very well. Fun to drive, well built and relatively comfortable. One of the features I like most, is the DSG transmission which combines the good performances of a manual transmission with the ease of use of an automatic. Probably the best car I ever owned. Highly recommended to those seeking an affordable sporty car which is not too punishing, well built and practical."

Pretty awesome

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pros: "Value driving anc commuting pleasure, practical"

"For roads in my area it is as much car as you can put on the road sanely and still have fun. I came from a much higher horsepower rear wheel drive car and dont miss it. I could never get out of second gear without risking lives and freedom. The gti is a near perfect driving machine. I have to deduct points for front wheel drive and the weight bias that causes, It is just a perfectly balanced "i live in the real world" car. just drove on a 2000 mile round trip journey. Comfortable the whole way; averaged 38mpg on the highway and it carried all my stuff perfectly. Dont know where the epa gets its ratings... I cant get it to run below about 28mpg if im out hitting the curvy roads like a hooligan all day."

Most fun car ever!

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, luxurious"

Cons: "Brother that is 6'4" has some room issues"

"You can't ask for a car that mixes business with pleasure better! It has great fuel economy and great performance. It looks great - very sharp lines. The interior is luxurious and roomy. The hatchback offers versatility for hauling things around and is great for dogs. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants to have a fun, practical car that also has the finishes of a luxury brand."

Great fun car!

By on Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive. great quality of build."

Cons: "Expensive for a small car. lots of computer bugs."

"I love this car but i will say be prepared to be in the shop often with any Volkswagen. when i purchased the car i had nothing but problems with it stalling. after going back and forth with the dealer they finally figured out it was a software update. after that i have had no problems. It was frustrating that they had the car more then i did though!"

Great to drive

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, DSG transmission, Styling"

Cons: "Needs a longer 1st gear. ESP a little aggressive"

"I've had this car for 2 years now and Handles better than any Car I've ever owned. I would buy another (I may upgrade to the Audi A3 (which is the same car) in a few years when my Payments are done, just because I like the Audi Styling a little better. I average about 28 mpg city/hwy driving and on 100 mile trips I do during work I typically get 37mpg if I can say off the gas and keep it around 64 mph. The DSG twin-clutch transmission is wonderful, shifts blisteringly fast. My only complaint with the DSG is if you use the Sport Mode Automatic it will typically hold 1st gear about half a second too long, but a manual shift corrects that."

Awesome in almost every way

By on Monday, January 2, 2012

Pros: "Performance, build-quality, handling, fun to drive"

Cons: "Awkward manual climate control"

"I wanted a smaller, more fuel-efficient car that is fun to drive and a hatchback. I drove them all. Hands-down, this is the best. There are others more powerful, and some less money, but the GTI provides the best combination of positive features, and without a doubt is the most refined, in terms of build quality, quality of materials, and engine performance. The only options I would add the next time are built-in nav and fully automatic climate control."

Very nice and comfy little car

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive and comfortable"

Cons: "Price near 30K"

"I have a 2011 GTI Autobahn DSG 4-door in white. I think this is the best color for this car. I am very impressed with its driving dynamics/performance and comfort (for 4). I say this because I am comming out of a Mercedes Benz S class. What this car is, it's economical, well built, roomy, good acceleration/performance and with that said, a ton of fun to drive (just took it up in the mountains and no one could stay with me)."

Best GTI Ever

By on Wednesday, April 13, 2011

"I have owned many VWs, GTIs, a TDI, and a regular golf. This 2010 GTI is by far the best VW I have ever owned. The car is very quick around town for doing 'Stoplight Grand Prix' which is great for urban driving. The car handles great for being front wheel drive (less than optimal for handling), its quiet at crusing speeds, and is frugal with gas when I keep my foot out of it.. Oh, and the DSG transmission is absolutely AMAZING!! I have always prefered 3 pedal cars, true manuals, but with this DSG, I am a convert. Can be driven like an Automatic (which it is NOT), or can be controlled manually and shifts are lightning fast with an awesome rev-matched burble. It NEVER gets old. The leather seats hold you in tight during corners. The Dynaudio Stereo is good, not great, but is good enough that I don't need to upgrade."